• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PM Lee earns too much?

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have been wondering - that's actually a no-brainer question. And yet many in this forum keep on asking that - indeed they are saying that. Let me give show an example or two, and then perhaps forummers can come to a rational opinion.

It was reported yesterday that DBS CEO an angmoh married to a Sporean beauty queen earns between $4.75m and $5.00m for half-a-year work (he became CEO from 1 May and 31 Dec only last year - and the bank lost so much money or capitalisation.) Before that previous CEO Jackson earned about$7.25m.

And what did the Prime Minister of Singapore earned? $3.87m a year !

How's that? For taking care of an educated, sophisticated and urban population of 4 million citizens, managing a GDP of $257.4billion and keeping a country's reserves of $400billion dollars. That's many,many times bigger and more complex than the CEO of one DBS%

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are jealous and over sensitve. He is still under paid base on market rate of major CEOs. He should even be entitled to an 8 month bonus because it is still reasonable.

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal
The slopping sound was so loud that I heard it in 3in1kopitiam and just felt I need to come over and see what the hell it is all about!

R4g3

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have been wondering - that's actually a no-brainer question. And yet many in this forum keep on asking that - indeed they are saying that. Let me give show an example or two, and then perhaps forummers can come to a rational opinion.

It was reported yesterday that DBS CEO an angmoh married to a Sporean beauty queen earns between $4.75m and $5.00m for half-a-year work (he became CEO from 1 May and 31 Dec only last year - and the bank lost so much money or capitalisation.) Before that previous CEO Jackson earned about$7.25m.

How's that? For taking care of an educated, sophisticated and urban population of 4 million citizens, managing a GDP of $257.4billion and keeping a country's reserves of $400billion dollars. That's many,many times bigger and more complex than the CEO of one DBS%

You can't compare public service with private sector.

if $3.87m is too low for a GDP of $257.4b, then how about USA with a GDP of $13.81Trillion?
Thats about 53.64 times. So President of USA should be getting a $207.58million a year? If that's the case then obama should ask for 346 times of his present salary.

Now you know why Obama is the one trying hard to stop AIG from giving out fat bonuses while our leaders claims that 8 months bonus is ok.

We need an Obama here, we need a leader to speak and work for the people and not money.

But i believe if Obama is born here, he is either bankrupt, lock up, exile, inside IMH, or even dead.

motuiti

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't confuse the pay of a CEO of a private company and the pay of a political leader.

The CEO is meant to make profit. The political leader is answering a calling to lead.

Honestly, LHL's salary is way too outrageous and sickening, especially considering he has no leadership foresight or vision at all.

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
30myhb9.jpg

takcheksian

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am extremely impressed with your logic. :p:p:p

I have been wondering - that's actually a no-brainer question. Let me give show an example or two, and then perhaps forummers can come to a rational opinion.

Warren Buffet manages $400b sgd's worth of funds and lost less money than Temasek/GIC. He got paid $100,000 last year, as always.

And what did the premier of China earn? RMB 3000 a month.

How's that? For taking care of a vast ,diverse population of 1,340 million citizens with many different kinds of needs and many urban centers, managing a GDP of $4 trillion USD, and keeping a country's reserves of $2 trillion USD. That's many,many times bigger and more complex than the CEO of one Singapore, Inc.

So how should we rate these people? As underpaid, or overpaid?

We should import more foreign politicians to be our leaders. We can get better bargains that way.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I

Your powers of reasoning has always been shallow. By your argument, the leaders of the G7 should be drawing billions of dollars in salary each.

Political Office is not the vocational marketplace. There is a sense of altruism, pride in serving the country and the quality of leadership is not assessed in dollar terms.

The current salary issue is highly contentious. It was drawn because, few talented people were prepared to be associated with the PAP. Price if it was right has always been good carrot for many things.

Without GRC, gerrymandering and all the known obstacles, this govt would have been out on this issue alone.

No one with quality put their hand up for the elected office of President so it was not contested. They have raised the salary 3 times this term in order to cover the shame of running for this office.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal

Okay, but President Obama manages a trillion-dollar budget and a US$700b bailout and he gets paid less than 1% in his annual paycheck as the most powerful human on earth.

How's that in comparison?

Btw public service is very unlike like being a CEO. A CEO's only interest is to address the goals of just a single organisation, and most likely its profit. The day he/she leaves, the new one would also probably want the same goals, but albeit slightly different.

As the top public servant, PM or President though, you're handling not just everyone alive right now in this country, but also future generations who are not yet born. You are also likely to affect the future of this country through your actions, either small or big. That's why its called public service, not private sector management.

Even those who were previously in the private sector, such as Bloomberg, and Arnold Schwarzenegger, and possibly Mitt Romney and Meg Whiteman(who wants to contest for the GOP primary for California governor in 2010), knows this and when they enter public service, they don't take a full pay cheque; instead they put in a nominal sum of $1 and the salary is forfeited.

Last edited:

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Obama will be paid a lot after his term - look at Bill Clinton!!

Let us get over this recession first before we speculate whether he gets cheered by the plaudits. After all, he's got this AIG bonus mess to handle now. Its not just a PR flap; to play it down as just an PR flap would be a very big mistake right now.

Besides, being a pol means you also need PR skills and crisis management skills. In many ways Obama has both. I can't say that for PM Lee; his record in both says much about his (lack) of both.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal

u go ask your master lah..

if he think he earn too little, he can always resign and work for dbs. :oIo::oIo:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

damn, i almost forgot... it's Singapore INC hor? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am extremely impressed with your logic. :p:p:p

I have been wondering - that's actually a no-brainer question. Let me give show an example or two, and then perhaps forummers can come to a rational opinion.

Warren Buffet manages $400b sgd's worth of funds and lost less money than Temasek/GIC. He got paid $100,000 last year, as always.

And what did the premier of China earn? RMB 3000 a month.

How's that? For taking care of a vast ,diverse population of 1,340 million citizens with many different kinds of needs and many urban centers, managing a GDP of $4 trillion USD, and keeping a country's reserves of $2 trillion USD. That's many,many times bigger and more complex than the CEO of one Singapore, Inc.

So how should we rate these people? As underpaid, or overpaid?

We should import more foreign politicians to be our leaders. We can get better bargains that way.
Was thinking how he managed to become the 2nd richest man in the world with such a low salary .

Cthulhu

Alfrescian
Loyal
As a taxpayer, I would rather pay Wen Jiabao 20x his current salary in SGD to be our FT Prime Minister than to keep Pinkie around even with a 90% pay cut to bungle, blunder and bumble.

Lestat

Alfrescian
Loyal
With regards to the header of this thread...

"NOW THEN YOU KNOW THAT OUR PM IS EARNING TOO MUCH?"

Where have you been, timbuktu??? :oIo:

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
lets say if he not PM or whatever,,,

Masters from Harvard, ex army BG (but bluff one, anyhow got promoted), at 56 y/o, probably kena retrenched, poor PR and public speaker, (speak as if having balls in his mouth all the time), no logic and charisma like blurting Onions and Chillies, dumb f888er, relying solely on father's influence, with a jinx wife who lost all his money,,,,,,,

if a normal person, he probably stay in a rented flat and bankrupt and probably waiting for 4 hours to see Denise Phua or migrate to Oz and become 3rd class citizen