• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Please take up cycling

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
By now one must have realised that all that news about cycling - death, corruption in buying foldable bikes, park connectors, ang mo blocking bus, inconsiderate cyclists, cyclist being sued etc etc does tell one thing - more and more people have taken to cycling. It is this no surprise that bike stores are becoming a common site.

If you enjoy your food and still one to remain healthy, this is one way to maintain your health. There is no need to hit main and busy roads until you are comfortable or you can remain within places where bike tracks, connectors and cycle paths and still carrying on riding. Here is a suggested approach.

Step1:
Just get a decent mountain bike for about $150 to get you started. If you live along the East Coast, you have absolutely no excuse as there are bridge and tunnels allows you to reach the cycle path which is 10 km. Do a return and you would have covered 20 kms. After 2 weeks of steady cycling, you will feel a lot better, the aching bum is a thing of the past, the legs are much stronger. Your fitness starts picking up.

Step 2:
If you can handle the bike and want to venture on to the roads, pick neighbour streets and go online and look for cycling tips. learn about taking primary or secondary, always a slight more than an open car door width when passing parked cars etc. Start cycling for the Sunday prata or Yakun Coffee. Always be prepared to stop once you sense danger.

Step 3:
You are now a smooth suave and slim looking dude and a champ around the streets of your neighbourhood. You spend more time on the bike than in the car after office hours. Time to make a decision. Is it time to upgrade? If it is time, it can be either a really good hybrid with flat handles, light and riding becomes exhilarating or move to a road bike. You are still looking at bikes that are less than $1.5K.

Take notes: This is not the bike to ride for breakfast where you park and find it 10 minutes later stolen. This is the bike that is for sports and health. You are going to make serious distance compared to Step 2. This is when you ride along roads usually early on weekend mornings. You park your car at East Coast and ride to Changi Village to have your morning breakfast. This is when you have read numerous articles online and comfortable with cycling.

Note: Don't sell your old mountain bike as you need it for neighbourhood kopitiam runs and breakfast and nobody steals it.

Step 4:

You have arrived. You are in lycra, the bike is a serious brand, very light, there is striking bulge where your manhood is, you have serious looking shades on your head, you wave at fellow cyclists at Changi Village and they wave back, you notice the chairman of DBS and his gang drinking teh tarik, you swear that you spotted a PS or two also in the group. The only problem is that the young chicks who cycle will still call you "Uncle". Thats when you tell them that all your friends call you "Flash".

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Your article is wasted in this forum. 99% of the members here belong to the anti lycra brigade.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Somethings in life is worth pushing. I remember when I first started my first crusade to get people in the office to buy landed property. The biggest hurdle was the fear of asking for help in finding a lawyer. I still get Xmas cards from these chaps especially their spouses. Then my crusade to seek a new future in a 1st world country more than a decade ago. The numbers just get growing. My hardest battle was to meet the wife of a man who had an autistic child and felt that he would be better treated in a western society. I agreed to meet the wife who was a close relative of an ranking politician in Singapore at SCC. Her fear was that she would lose clout in a new country. After much reasoning, she relented. The family is now having a great lifestyle and the govt pays for a dedicated carer at school for the autistic kid.

In August last year, I met a man who asked me if I wanted to buy a threadmill. Told me he hated running. I suggested cycling and he laughed. He told me that he was past 50 and if was making fun of him. I bought a cup of capuccino and for the next hour it was all about cycling. I told him the steps and he followed. There was mishaps along the way such a bicycle stolen (lucky first bike, quite cheap) , then later his race bike was not good fit and he had to change. This is a man who was apprehensive of cycling on roads and would not be caught dead wearing lycra.

One day he introduced me to his wife in Changi Village (she drives there to meet him for breakfast). She gave me a earful about misleading her husband but agreed that he is very active and lively. There is a buzz about him now.

I too never thought I will wear lycra. From clits to cleats and much more.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I always recommend the Specialized Secteur for those who are not into competitive racing but love to cycle and watch the great outdoors. The geometry allows for the head to held a little higher for better views.

If you do get over it and decide to get another bike, would you go back to specialized?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I too never thought I will wear lycra. From clits to cleats and much more.

I guess I was lucky in that pedaling comes more naturally than walking. I've been riding a bike since the age of 3. My first stitches were thanks to my bike. So too the 2nd set of stitches. The third trip to A & E was a result of chopping my own leg with a parang when trying to open a coconut.

Cycling gives me a better buzz than clits do. Clits give a more intense high but the high from cleats is much longer lasting and ultimately more satisfying.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cycling gives me a better buzz than clits do. Clits give a more intense high but the high from cleats is much longer lasting and ultimately more satisfying.

i love cycling too but i started late at 15. in college, my bike was my best tool. 7 days a week, 3 hours each day as i lived on the other side of the town. the only accident i had was when a mexican pulled an oldsmobile gas guzzler into the driveway right in front of me in cruising speed.

sg is not safe and good for road biking. leisure biking in parks and residential estates is ok as dad, nieces and nephews are still doing it. but no roads please. shouldn't even encourage that. the pappies must not be coerced or incentivised to re-engineer roadways with taxpayer money to accomodate the wishes of the trendy and tour de francois wannabe. i wrote my medium length essay on the other thread. better for road bike minded sinkies to migrate to monaco, menton or monterey for that pursuit. they have the cash. :p

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
hahhaa...dont blame the guys when they continue to rib you......i think you've just scored an own goal here. :p

I guess I was lucky in that pedaling comes more naturally than walking. I've been riding a bike since the age of 3. My first stitches were thanks to my bike. So too the 2nd set of stitches. The third trip to A & E was a result of chopping my own leg with a parang when trying to open a coconut.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
hahhaa...dont blame the guys when they continue to rib you......i think you've just scored an own goal here. :p

Now you don't expect an old hand to be bothered by a bit of ribbing do you. :wink:

Nothing beats the high from having won a bike race or from completing a 5 hour training ride and beating the rest of the guys up every hill there was. The buzz lasts for more than 24 hours.

On the other hand, a shit ride can cause major depression which can last till redemption is achieved with another great ride. This can take as long as two weeks.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Your article is wasted in this forum. 99% of the members here belong to the anti lycra brigade.

boss,
me is unabashed to proclaim that it was your mantra that got me buying a Mac, yeah, guess me belong to that 1% of the crowd here. riding a simple bike to work since a year ago. aren't you proud? :smile::smile::smile:

gz0707

Alfrescian
Loyal
A couple of girls who got off the train and unfolded their bikes in Hua Lien for a 3-day riding trip. The roads and train rules were so friendly in Taiwan that it was hard to imagine 2 girls all by cycling by themselves. that was my first contact with foldable bikes and I have been riding a foldie and racer ever since.