• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Pawns in asylum trade

Captain America

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Pawns in asylum trade

Date December 2, 2012

art-doherty-620x349.jpg

"My son wants to go to Australia but even Nauru is better than Lanka" ... Christopher Fernando, with his grandson. Photo: Ben Doherty

NEGOMBO, Sri Lanka: "If you get to Australia, you can get visa, and you can get work. Straight away."

The pitch is simple, and it’s unchanged by the policy whims of a government on the other side of the Indian Ocean.

From a prison yard on Sri Lanka’s west coast an unrepentant Savi* delivers the spiel he gave for months – clearly convincingly – to dozens of Sri Lankans until the plan he was selling unravelled on him.

art-doherty2-620x349.jpg

Christopher Fernando sits on the step at his single-room home in Negombo, on Sri Lanka's west coast, with his daughter-in-law Aruni and grandson Shehan. Photo: Ben Doherty

Those who believed him, his passengers, never got the chance to discover that he was lying, or that he himself had been misled.

Savi and the nearly two dozen people he had recruited to sail to Australia were caught, hiding by the shore, waiting for their boat to arrive. They never even set foot on board.

As an organiser, an alleged people-smuggler, Savi is weeks into what could be a long stay in a dirty, overcrowded prison, far from his home and family.

art-353-No-advantage---press---E---40X8---25-09-12-300x0.jpg

Daily ... Sinhala and Tamil newspapers carry advertisements, paid for by Australia, targetted at potential asylum seekers.

But Savi is a pawn – a low-level operative, happily expendable. He does not even know the names of his bosses. His arrest, and that of dozens of others like him, interrupt the people-smuggling trade not at all. The boats are still leaving, and people are still queuing up to board them.

Sri Lanka’s people smugglers live in the shadows. Crouched in the shade, Savi keeps his head down, and speaks through an intermediary. He is a reluctant interviewee, worried about the repercussions of talking, but fearful his stretch in prison could run to years.

His family has nearly exhausted its money paying a lawyer to fight his case, struggling even to find enough for the bus fare to see him once a fortnight in court.

‘‘I’m a poor person too, this is a job so we can support our families. These people want to go to Australia, we make it possible. We are not bad.’’

It’s a ruthless trade, Christopher Fernando says. His son Randika left for Australia three months ago, and is now on Nauru, awaiting the assessment of his asylum claim.

Randika left behind his wife, Aruni, and one-year-old boy Shehan. He pawned the family’s jewellery, and sold his three-wheeler to finance the trip. Still he had to take out a loan. All told he had to pay about 200,000 rupees (about $1500), and will owe more still if he lands a job in Australia.

To whom did the money go?

‘‘I can’t tell you,’’ Christopher Fernando says. ‘‘If I say they will come and kill me. They are dangerous people.’’

On the beach at Negombo, Fernando holds his grandson, looking out over the water from where their father and son left.

‘‘My son wants to go to Australia, but even Nauru is better than Lanka,’’ he says.

‘‘In Nauru, they live in tents, but he has enough food to eat every day, they look after him well, and he studies English. Maybe he will have a good job one day.’’

Sri Lanka’s people smuggling industry is not an ad hoc, opportunistic racket, a few struggling fishermen with an old boat and a desire for a new life. It is a business, a sophisticated and well-organised operation, run for profit.

Most of those leaving Sri Lanka are seeking a chance to make money to send home. Sri Lanka’s poor are being hammered by rampant inflation – especially on food and fuel – falling wages, and a dearth of jobs. It’s especially bad in the Tamil-dominated north, where unemployment runs at 20 per cent.

Aruna Fernando (no relation) a fisherman, sees the people-smuggling racket in operation all around, though he’s no part of it. He says the ringleaders are never known to those on the ground.

The risk is carried by the many at the bottom, to the benefit of the few at the top. Separated by layers of middlemen, passengers never meet those taking them across the ocean, or usually even know who they are.

Almost every one of the thousands of fishing villages along Sri Lanka’s coast has an agent, he explains, usually a young man, who runs a couple of mobile phone numbers he changes regularly, and who has a contact who can find a spot on a boat.

The village-level agent usually takes about 50,000 rupees as an initial payment, in return for a preliminary spot on a boat and a contact with a more senior agent, co-ordinating a whole stretch of coastline.

That agent takes a further commission — usually between 100,000 and 200,000 rupees – for the final place on a vessel.

Passengers wait, sometimes weeks, usually for a text message, telling them where to be and when. Commonly, it’s the middle of the night, and often a bus or car ride away, even all the way across the country, to wherever is judged the safest place for a boat to leave, the weather best and the Navy’s surveillance poorest.

People are told to bring a small bag with clothes, some food that will keep, a small amount of water, and panadol for the sea-sickness.

‘‘My three brothers go [sic] because they need money to support their families,’’ Srimali tells Fairfax Media.

Her brothers sailed for, and made, Australia only to be swiftly deported. They were not organisers, but have been jailed.

‘‘We have nothing, we cannot live in this country. We don’t have enough food, we cannot pay for our children’s education. ... My brothers work hard as fishermen but they cannot earn enough for the family. They had to go.’’ Srimali’s family sold all it had to finance her brothers’ trip, on the promise of a better future.

‘‘There was a man, he told us there would be a visa issued to all when they arrive in Australia. He said there was plenty of work for fishermen in Australia.’’ The Australian government is trying hard to dispel these ideas.

Visiting senior government officials have pushed the message that there is no work in Australia for those without an asylum claim, which could take years; daily, Sinhala and Tamil newspapers carry advertisements, paid for by Australia, telling potential asylum seekers they ‘‘will not be able to earn money in Nauru or Papua New Guinea to send back to your families’’.

But the people smugglers’ message is an enticing one, and, in the villages, the one heard loudest.

They tell people the Australian government message is a plant, placed at the behest of the Sri Lankan regime, which wants to stop Sri Lankans, particularly Sinhalese, from leaving the country.

The smugglers also point to the example of earlier asylum seekers, some of whom went to Australia five, 10, even 15 years, ago, and who now, when they return to the island, carry the allure of Western wealth.

The agents gloss over new asylum seeker policies in Australia, and ignore the years of hardship those earlier migrants endured.

Not everyone boarding a boat to Australia does so seeking work. Some feel compelled to leave. Three years on from the end of a brutal quarter-century long civil war, peace is fractious and fragile. There is still persecution.

Political opponents of the government, or Tamils believed to be former Tiger sympathisers, face serious and sometimes life-threatening victimisation.

Australia told Sri Lanka at a recent United Nations human rights review it must ‘‘take action to reduce and eliminate all cases of abuse, torture or mistreatment by police and security forces ... [and] all cases of abductions and disappearances’’.

But most Sri Lankans boarding boats for Australia do so for work and from a desire to build a better life for their family.

At the beach in Negombo, Christopher Fernando says he misses his son. They speak by phone most days, but he tells him he doesn’t want him to come back yet.

‘‘He had to go, he has a chance for a good life there. Here, there is no chance.’’

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All Australia has to do is end its refugee program,,,only skilled migration will be considered,,but due the the left wing bleeding heart liberal assholes which is turning Oz Land to a dump by expending the underclass all in the name of Human Rights letting these people into the country,,,things just get worse, as these people are unemployable,,or here to game the system like so many that did in ang mor lands.

Once you end the refugee program, these people wont come as they door is closed to them, those that come here get deported straight away, no ifs no buts

The problems of the world are not australia's problems,,they cant even clean up their own back yard and yet want to throw more rubbish in their back yard,,these just makes it worse

santabenq

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with The _Hypocrite.

...‘I’m a poor person too, this is a job so we can support our families. These people want to go to Australia, we make it possible. We are not bad.’’
....‘‘My son wants to go to Australia, but even Nauru is better than Lanka,’’ he says.
...a few struggling fishermen with an old boat and a desire for a new life
....Most of those leaving Sri Lanka are seeking a chance to make money to send home.

These 'economic' migrants....

...‘‘My three brothers go [sic] because they need money to support their families,’’ Srimali tells Fairfax Media.
... We don’t have enough food, we cannot pay for our children’s education. ... My brothers work hard as fishermen but they cannot earn enough for the family. They had to go.’’ Srimali’s family sold all it had to finance her brothers’ trip, on the promise of a better future.

Why do Australians have to pay for the ignorance and stupidity of these aliens?
I don't have the exact number with me now, but the cost of Australian Government in handling these 'asylum seekers':
* Cost of running detention centres : hundreds of millions (can be billions)
* Cost of giving housing assistance to them: ????
* Cost of giving 'financial assistance' to them: ???
* Social cost to the Australian community : many will become criminals

Note that the major detention centres are privately ran; ie. taxpayers money go straight to the private companies running these centres who are charging extorbitant rate for housing and feeding them.

Australian government should just opt out from the UN Refugees Convention Signatory countries.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
THe ang mors damn dumb,,get taken for a ride by all these so called 'refugees' and still think their moral high ground is helping them look better at the international stage whereby everyone else is just laughing at them...SUCKERS

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
THe ang mors damn dumb,,get taken for a ride by all these so called 'refugees' and still think their moral high ground is helping them look better at the international stage whereby everyone else is just laughing at them...SUCKERS

Australia is a signatory to the UNHCR so it has no choice but to accept refugees. HUMAN RIGHTS.

This is actually good news for people who stand to gain from people trade.
There is always easy money to made from government contracts. :biggrin:

http://www.news.com.au/national/par...tention-policies/story-fncynjr2-1226528431205

ASYLUM seekers in Indonesia have swung into party mode and labelled Julia Gillard a "hero" after learning they will receive welfare payments and rent assistance should they make it to Australia by boat.

The wannabe citizens are ecstatic the government has conceded detention centres are beyond maximum capacity and that asylum seekers would need to be released into the community while their applications for refugee status were processed.

They would be given financial and housing support - as well as free basic health care - a massive boost from their current financial status in Indonesia where many are struggling to afford food.

However the asylum seekers, based in Puncak, 80km from Jakarta, said they feared Liberal leader Tony Abbott would be successful in his bid to become prime minister.

"Mr Abbott is not good for refugees and asylum seekers, he does not like us, he is not really a nice man," said Zia Haidari, a 25-year-old Afghanistan man who has attempted - unsuccessfully - to travel to Australia by boat seven times.

"Ms Gillard seems to understand how we feel and is trying her best.

"Abdulah Sulamani, 41, heaped praise on Ms Gillard: "She is a hero, you are lucky to have this woman for your country."

Solo mother Fatemeh Khavari, 30, told News Ltd she did not have enough money saved to travel by boat to Australia and had spent time living homeless and hungry in Indonesia with her six-month-old son.

Labor's announcement was music to her ears.

"If I can get this free money and house when I come to Australia this will make life very easy for me," Ms Khavari said.

"It is very hard right now for us, I cannot afford to buy milk formula, we are very hungry. Me and my child need the generosity of the Australian people.

"If that doesn't happen my baby may die."

Ms Khavari - whose reasons fleeing Iran were "private" - said the other factor to draw her towards Australia was free medical care.

"I cannot afford to have vaccinations for my baby so I can get this in Australia.

"The praise directed at the prime minister may be unwelcome by its recipient, with voters unlikely to be impressed with the notion asylum seekers think they are coming to a country with soft laws.

A new monthly record was set in November with 2443 people arriving on boats and Ms Gillard was asked yesterday if she would bring back temporary protection visas and tow boats back to Indonesia.

The government last month announced thousands of asylum seekers threatened with processing in Nauru and Manus Island would be released in the community in Australia on bridging visas with almost $440 a fortnight plus help to pay rent.

It is understood the government is aware large numbers of asylum seekers are rushing to get on boats in Indonesia before the monsoon season and are undeterred by the government's pledge to keep them waiting in the community for protection visas for up to five years under a "no advantage" test.

Ms Gillard said TPVs and tow backs were not policy options hours before the government announced 75 people on two boats had been rescued by the Navy off Christmas Island.

"This is a complicated issue for our nation, for nations around the world," Ms Gillard told Channel 10.

"Anybody who says that there is a simple fix to you is not telling you the truth. It takes a range of policies, and we are putting that range of policies in place."

The desperation in the voices of asylum seekers in Puncak is echoed right throughout the village, where many asylum seekers come prior to embarking on the sea journey to Australia.

They eat their basic evening meals with rusty utensils scattered around. Their tiny bedrooms contain no blankets and sleep up to eight people. The days are dull with no ability to work as work visas from Indonesian officials are non-existent for the travellers.

It is this harsh reality of life in villages like Punchak combined with the arrival of news about Labor's policy backflip that is bringing about party fever and the desire to come to Australia as soon as possible.

Seventeen-year-old Adres, who does not have a surname listed on his passport, said when he arrived on Indonesian soil three weeks ago he planned to apply for refugee status through UNHCR.

But upon learning of the over-filled detention centres in Australia he was determined to travel by sea.

"This is good news for us, if we stay here and apply for status we might not be allowed into Australia, but if we come on boat we get the money and house," Adres said.

"This is a great thing and I am very thanking to the government in your country."

The Afghanistan teenager, whose father was killed in Pakistan, made the journey to Indonesia by plane. He saved for the journey and would use his money to engage people smugglers.

"It is a dangerous risk but worth it to get a new country with opportunities.

"This is party time."

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Australia is a signatory to the UNHCR so it has no choice but to accept refugees. HUMAN RIGHTS.

This is actually good news for people who stand to gain from people trade.
There is always easy money to made from government contracts. :biggrin:

U have brought up a very good point..but for Australians sake,,and many aussies are damn dulan with the benefits these 'refugees' get compared to locals are getting more and more pissed off. Aussieland should just leave the UNHCR,,these outsiders problems are not our problems..Oz have their own problems to solve,,,I just wonder,,since these people's life are so bad etc,,y dont they just commit hara kiri and stop being a burden upon others?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
U have brought up a very good point..but for Australians sake,,and many aussies are damn dulan with the benefits these 'refugees' get compared to locals are getting more and more pissed off. Aussieland should just leave the UNHCR,,these outsiders problems are not our problems..Oz have their own problems to solve,,,I just wonder,,since these people's life are so bad etc,,y dont they just commit hara kiri and stop being a burden upon others?

You will be quite surprised to see how much broad support these refugees get from Aussies.
There is also a strong refugee lobby.
Refugees are traditional Labor Party supporters. :biggrin:

santabenq

Alfrescian
Loyal
You will be quite surprised to see how much broad support these refugees get from Aussies.
There is also a strong refugee lobby.
Refugees are traditional Labor Party supporters. :biggrin:

All these come down to vote buying.
The Labour/Green party reckons : taxing 1 middle income taxpayers can be used to support 4 refugees. Hence they prepare to lose 1 vote from a hardworking taxpayer in return of gaining 4 votes.
That's why the current Australian future, as a country, is going down the toilet.
OneNation Party may gain more support in the future.
If they modify their policy to PRIORITISE the Australians first, and only allow business and skilled migrants, there would be a lot of votes for them.

> .....There is also a strong refugee lobby.

Who are driving this lobby? Dumb Australians? Companies that benefit from managing detention centres? Or even people smugglers?
Unfortunately, in the current situation, Labour/Green are putting refugee FIRST, and Australians LAST.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Liberals will win big in the next election,,even traditional labour supporters are damn dulan the greens and labour,,,with regards to refugees etc,,the only liability of the liberal is the mad monk himself,,but he will just fall forward and be the next PM of AUstralia,,But the ones that need to get kicked out are the Greens,,they fucked this country over more than enough,,,come to think of it,,i really hate the westminister system,,,parliamentary democracy is nothing but 2 party dictatorship..

All these come down to vote buying.
The Labour/Green party reckons : taxing 1 middle income taxpayers can be used to support 4 refugees. Hence they prepare to lose 1 vote from a hardworking taxpayer in return of gaining 4 votes.
That's why the current Australian future, as a country, is going down the toilet.
OneNation Party may gain more support in the future.
If they modify their policy to PRIORITISE the Australians first, and only allow business and skilled migrants, there would be a lot of votes for them.

> .....There is also a strong refugee lobby.

Who are driving this lobby? Dumb Australians? Companies that benefit from managing detention centres? Or even people smugglers?
Unfortunately, in the current situation, Labour/Green are putting refugee FIRST, and Australians LAST.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Liberals will win big in the next election,,

,,come to think of it,,i really hate the westminister system,,,parliamentary democracy is nothing but 2 party dictatorship..

1. The Lib may not win, Tony Abbott is an accidential "leader" who is a nobody in a 3-corner fight with Malcolm and chubby Joe.

2. 2-party dictatorship? UK is then a 3-party dictatorship. The thing I hate about westminster is the HUNG parliament.

I see the West turning from Democracy to Plutocracy as their GINI index widen.

If investors have been investing in companies that serve the Plutocrats, their returns will be very good.

Ctigroup Hourglass index
http://northwesternbusinessreview.org/why-citis-consumer-hourglass-theory-matters/

The USA is a fine example.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-zuesse/democracy-to-a-plutocracy_b_2161257.html

Thomson Reuters Digital Editor Chrystia Freeland book, Plutocrats: The Rise of the New Global Super-Rich and the Fall of Everyone Else.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ninety-second-street-y/chrystia-freeland-on-the_b_2232681.html

Thanks to an ex-Singaporean who come out with this term, Singapore PAP = Plutocrats Action Party. That is exactly what is happening there, with Casinos and Sentosa Cove.

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is nothing wrong in aussies wanting more,,its the shit that the trailer park trash demands,,getting money for nothing, the senior civil serpents and politicians who get a 60K pay rise a year while companies are not willing to give a 1k per year pay rise to the lower wage earner.

also,,look at the CEO pays,,,they get a few million here and there a year,,that is better than striking lotto,,so aussies have a right to demand more cos their bosses and politicians and civil serpents get more for doing nothing,,,

Distorted comments from a Singapore POV ? IB operating here?

The facts
Australians have always come first. But greedy Aussies want more.
Also, Skilled migration still tops humanitarian intake.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/Lookup/1301.0Main+Features592012

Green-Left make the most noise but they are seriously urban minority.

santabenq

Alfrescian
Loyal
neddy, are you Labour/Green supporter?
Care to elaborate who you voted?

For the rest of readers, please see:
http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/labor-abandoned-me-so-i-quit-20121214-2bdz0.html
Some of the insightful readers' comments are:

A lot of words that don't appear to say anything. What does progressive mean anyway? Sooner than you think, Danae, you'll also have a family, job, mortgage. I voted Labor in my first election also. Then like all my friends I got a job and wanted a party that gave me and my family the best life possible. For me, just like most middle/upper middle class professionals, that was John Howard. All I remember from his 12 years in terms of what it meant for my life was constantly dropping income tax (so more take home money) and amazingly low unemployment where jobs abounded. Oh, and not having to hear about another asylum seeker riot/fiasco on the news every second day. Even the most disadvantaged in Australia did rather well under Howard (eg pensions were increased substantially). I think your view of seeing those 12 years as bad are childish and show your ignorance. Good govt is about delivering the best standard of living you can for your country. It's about good policy implementation and getting the absolute best value for tax dollars as your fellow countrymen worked bloody hard to make that money. That's what Howard achieved and what Labor and the Greens have failed to do.
BTW, his concession speech was very gracious by any standards. Your comment about turning on Star Wars is disrespectful and shows you to be worthy of contempt. Not the fact that you didn't wish to listen to the speech, but the fact that you decided announce it. I'd rather listen to Howards speech than read the rambling drivel in your article.
--JamesM

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
neddy, are you Labour/Green supporter?
Care to elaborate who you voted?

For the rest of readers, please see:
http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/labor-abandoned-me-so-i-quit-20121214-2bdz0.html
Some of the insightful readers' comments are:

A lot of words that don't appear to say anything. What does progressive mean anyway? Sooner than you think, Danae, you'll also have a family, job, mortgage. I voted Labor in my first election also.
--JamesM

I vote for sensible policies. The Labor/Green are full of hot air now, luckily, the Lib/Conservatives are filling the good policy gaps left by the union bonking govt.

The bosses are not employing because of the "union" disguised progressives are making them fearful. Less permanent jobs overall - just non-permanent jobs.

QLD public servants just lost their iron ricebowl, because the govt need to return to AAA ratings.
Perhaps Labor will be voted back to sink QLD again.

Last edited: