• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

pathetic chinatown!

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
last nite was roaming thro chinatown. something definitely was missing! it's the CHINESE NEW YEAR spirit.

there were many vacant stalls. prices seem to be cheaper but not many were eager to buy. the stuffs sold were so repetitive, it was really boring!

even the chinatown hawker stalls were surprisingly not crowded like last time. the only blessing was: I FOUND THE HIGH ST CHAR KUAY TEOW which was sadly hiding at one remote corner. its glory days of long queue and persistent clanking of the wok and metal spatula was sadly absent.

anyway, it was just as good as the good ol' days but costing $2.50 instead of $2. it still has the cockerels or fresh hums, the sinful fresh deep fried crunchy pork lard, the lup cheong, cai xin and the speciality of this stall is the additional of chives. for $2.50, it was still value for money!:cool:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
aiyoh..chinatown has long lost its flavor as a China-town - where there is strong ethnic Chinese flavors. Today, its filled with stalls selling knick knacks for tourists, restuarants operated by Chinese selling all sorts of Shanghai, Sichuan food - I ask you, which of these are ethnic to Chinese here in Singapore?

Even the food street concept hatched and promoted by STPB collapsed and failed. The food is expensive and taste no different from that of foodcourt. Long gone were the days where the night market flourish and people flock to eat at the roadside stalls. Unhygenic yes, disorganised yes but hey thats what give the uniqueness to Chinatown. I am pretty sure those can be better managed.

VeryWise

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. Most of my foreign friends and colleagues said that it's a pity that the gov transformed very unique places into "modern" outlets. Worse, they find that SG is merely a country with a lot of malls, nothing special. What they like is more places like the southern ridge, natural stuffs or places with rich culture or distinct local flavours. If they want to shop, they might as well stay at home and shop the mega malls they have...with much more varieties and discounts. They come to this part of the world not just for branded goods...but the sun, to relax and for the cultural exposure. Without which, Sg will not be able to attract repeat visits. IRs are not gg to help much...cos the crowds will be different.

aiyoh..chinatown has long lost its flavor as a China-town - where there is strong ethnic Chinese flavors. Today, its filled with stalls selling knick knacks for tourists, restuarants operated by Chinese selling all sorts of Shanghai, Sichuan food - I ask you, which of these are ethnic to Chinese here in Singapore?

Even the food street concept hatched and promoted by STPB collapsed and failed. The food is expensive and taste no different from that of foodcourt. Long gone were the days where the night market flourish and people flock to eat at the roadside stalls. Unhygenic yes, disorganised yes but hey thats what give the uniqueness to Chinatown. I am pretty sure those can be better managed.

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is the perpetual and perennial fault of the stupid PAP and their utterly useless scholars who places much on order than uniqueness such as dynamnism of a free market system.

Everything is so damn sterile.

DearestGodlikeWarlord

Alfrescian
Loyal
last nite was roaming thro chinatown. something definitely was missing! it's the CHINESE NEW YEAR spirit.

there were many vacant stalls. prices seem to be cheaper but not many were eager to buy. the stuffs sold were so repetitive, it was really boring!

even the chinatown hawker stalls were surprisingly not crowded like last time. the only blessing was: I FOUND THE HIGH ST CHAR KUAY TEOW which was sadly hiding at one remote corner. its glory days of long queue and persistent clanking of the wok and metal spatula was sadly absent.

anyway, it was just as good as the good ol' days but costing $2.50 instead of $2. it still has the cockerels or fresh hums, the sinful fresh deep fried crunchy pork lard, the lup cheong, cai xin and the speciality of this stall is the additional of chives. for $2.50, it was still value for money!:cool:

Chinky Town never appealed to me. And it's not like the Lunar New Year goodies have dipped in price.

Many places I go, their sellers put them up at defiantly high prices, to cash in on that once-in-a-year thing. I hope they get fewer buyers. :wink::wink::wink:

guavatree

Alfrescian
Loyal

cheebai kia old fart faggot fake monk PAP dog Bob Sim Kheng Hwee,

temple thief, swindler, fraudster, cheat, con-artist, liar, deceiver, all rolled into one!

mai kay kay lah!

you're looking for victims to cheat and con!

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
come to think of it,most of the stalls were not even run by locals. many were PRCs or from matlands. there were so many mua chee stalls. their mua chee tasted awfully strange!! bleched!!

new year cookes were sold at give away prices. 6 for $10!! the stallholders were even very generous to treat anyone browsng all the samples he would fancy. sadly, not many buying. you wanna know why?

after cny, all those goodies would cost less than a fraction of their present prices! a belated cny maybe?:p

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was there on my home trip a few weeks ago to try to get the fishhead/sliced fish noodles (yu tau/pin mai fan). What a disappointment. In the old days, I just headed to the stall where people were queueing up. This time, I had to search around, and couldn't locate any that looked like a stall selling it. Some stalls offered it, but as part of their overall menu. And definitely no crowd. Settled for one, and true to my fears, not the stuff I was missing and looking for.

What had the upgrading done to the old guys?? :confused::mad:

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How come dis PAPee dog is complaining about chinatown when he loves licking his masters boots??

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was there on my home trip a few weeks ago to try to get the fishhead/sliced fish noodles (yu tau/pin mai fan). What a disappointment. In the old days, I just headed to the stall where people were queueing up. This time, I had to search around, and couldn't locate any that looked like a stall selling it. Some stalls offered it, but as part of their overall menu. And definitely no crowd. Settled for one, and true to my fears, not the stuff I was missing and looking for.

What had the upgrading done to the old guys?? :confused::mad:

many of the nice wholesome food from the original hawkers have already extinct once the hawker retires or pass away. most of the food sold now were not as authentic as it used to be.

be like me. when i go chinatown hc and found a nice stall, i would record the stall #, the kind of food there and what to order. after a few more visits eating there, the location of the stall would have sunk into my memory bank:smile:

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
chee himself now is the bankrupt king...the king of beggars. answered your doubt?

if he king of beggars, then why u worry he will rule this country?? u paranoid?

how would a king of beggars be able to rule this country, and thus resulting in me begging on the street???

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal

okay, so u find chinatown the atmosphere, the goods sold are repetitive, so chinatown is pathetic.

do u think under PAP rule, this situation in chinatown would change?? how? PAP setup committee and collect feedback? would chinatown change for better under PAP rule?

would it change for the better, or getting worse under PAP rule??

Zeitgeist

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't see any Chinese in Chinatown except those from PRC. All I see are bananas. Yellow on the outside, white on the inside. And that includes yours truly. Pathetic huh? Char_Ji_Kar?