• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Part 1: The truth about Chiam See Tong's departure

belowbelt

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://http://yoursdp.org/index.php/truth-about/3552-part-1-the-truth-about-chiam-see-tongs-departurePart 1: The truth about Chiam See Tong's departure

Chee Soon Juan

Mr Chiam See Tong has accused Dr Chee Soon Juan of of usurping his post in the party and challenged him to resign if he really had not sought to lead it. He also criticised the acting secretary-general of the SDP for "hopping onto a power vehicle, a ready-made party” which he, Mr Chiam, had founded 13 years ago.

This report appeared in the Straits Times on 3 Jul 93. Since then this idea that I usurped Mr Chiam's position has been so extensively repeated - and continues to be repeated - that it has become historical fact.

The PAP was only too happy to propagate this falsehood. That same year it published a cartoon (above) in its magazine Petir showing a series of drawings which related the story of a camel with my face on it being invited by a man resembling Mr Chiam into a tent. The camel was very well taken care of inside the tent. The cartoon then shows the camel kicking the man out of the tent, dazed and bruised.

This cartoon was obviously meant to drive home the point that I had ungratefully forced Mr Chiam out of the SDP after he had so kindly taken me in. For maximum effect, the story was repeated in the Straits Times (14 Aug 93).

Seventeen years later, the Straits Times is at it again this time reporting Mrs Lina Chiam as accusing me of "oustering her husband from the party he founded in 1980." (29 Mar 10) Mrs Chiam is quoted as saying: “If he (Dr Chee) really wanted to keep Mr Chiam, he could have politely declined the position of secretary-general.”

It has come to a point where even an academic has documented in his book, which he uses to teach his political science class, this falsehood as fact. I will provide the details of this matter in Part 3 of this series.

For too long this story has circulated and it has been ingrained in the minds of Singaporeans that I had actually usurped Mr Chiam's post. Worse, the issue is still being resurrected today.

The PAP and the media must be stopped from continuing to spread these untruths about the SDP and me as and when they like it, especially whenever the elections draw near.

It is for these reasons that I need to present my side of the story which has hitherto been largely obscure. For the sake of my party, my colleagues and my supporters, I must set the record straight.

I will do this not by depending on my memory because that will give rise to criticisms about selective remembering on my part. Instead, I rely on facts that were presented in newspaper reports and on what was recorded in court. I provide the dates of these reports so that readers can independently check and verify what I have written.

Even before I joined the party...

Problems were already brewing between Mr Chiam and his CEC colleagues even before I had joined the SDP. This was revealed in court when he sued the SDP in 1993. Even he had admitted to this:

Mr Chiam: "To me, the problems started in 1988, when Wong Hong Toy and about 15 other Workers' Party members joined the party...there was backbiting and other problems..."

Former SDP chairman Mr Ling How Doong confirmed this: "In my view, all the troubles between Chiam and Wong Hong Toy started after the 1991 General Elections, when Wong came to help me full-time."

Mr Ashleigh Seow (Mr Francis Seow's son), then a CEC member, testified: "Most people have had a difficult time with [Mr Chiam] at one time or another." Mr Seow was referring to the period between 1988-1991 and to CEC members like Messrs Jimmy Tan, Cheo Chai Chen, Francis Yong and himself.

Mr Kwan Yue Keng, another CEC member had, in 1987 spoken up against "one-man shows" referring to Mr Chiam.

Mr Chiam replied: "Someone must lead. Who initiates? The leader." He claimed credit for the winning "by-election effect" strategy.

Mr Ling retorted that it was actually the idea of Mr Mohammed Jufrie Mahmood (then) of the Workers' Party.

Mr Chiam: "Who implemented it?"

Mr Ling: "The CEC."

Mr Chiam: "Collective leadership is nonsense."

Mr Ling: "You're talking of dictatorship."

( Chiam's 'strained ties' with SDP, Straits Times, 24 Nov 93; SDP split: Chiam against the rest, Straits Times, 4 Dec 93)

Readers must note that all the above happened between 1988-1991 before I had joined the party. But after the split, I am suddenly blamed by the PAP for kicking Mr Chiam out. Like all the rest of the CEC members, I had only one vote. How could I have single-handedly forced Mr Chiam out?

We persuaded Chiam to return

The unalterable truth is that it was Mr Chiam who first resigned as the secretary-general of the party on 17 May 93. When the CEC refused to support his motion to censure me for going on a hunger strike, Mr Chiam tendered his resignation on the spot:

Chairman
SDP
Singapore

Dear Sir,

Resignation as SG of the Party

In view of the whole CEC voting against me on the question of the hunger strike of Dr Chee Soon Juan, there is in effect a no confidence vote in the S-G.

The only decent thing for him to do is to resign.

According I resign as the S-G of the party forthwith.

Yours faithfully,

(signed)
Chiam See Tong

Immediately after he handed over his letter, a few CEC members chased after him and told him not to be so rash. Mr Chiam nevertheless drove off in his car.

In the following days and weeks a few CEC members, including me, made several overtures to persuade him back.

But Mr Chiam insisted that he would return as secretary-general only if the CEC gave him sole power to appoint and dismiss CEC and cadre members. He also wanted us to sack Mr Wong Hong Toy, then vice-chairman.

This was clearly undemocratic and, more importantly, against the Party's constitution. It was a demand that we could not accede to.

What was Mr Wong's transgression? Mr Chiam pointed to Mr Wong's four criminal convictions in 1986 when he was the Workers' Party chairman. Mr Wong was fined $5,000 and jailed for one month for making a false declaration of the party's accounts. (It's Wong Hong Toy that Chiam wants out of party's CEC, Straits Times, 16 Jul 93)

[Wong Hong Toy (glasses) beside Jeyaretnam]

Wong Hong Toy (glasses) beside Jeyaretnam
The problem was that Mr Wong was convicted together with the late J B Jeyaretnam who was subsequently struck off the rolls because of the convictions. On appeal by Mr Jeyaretnam, London's Privy Council wrote that both men, "by a series of mistrials...have suffered a grievous injustice. They have been fined, imprisoned and publicly disgraced for offences of which they are not guilty."

We, of course, subscribed to the Privy Council's ruling and that was why we could not agree with Mr Chiam's condemnation of Mr Wong, which was akin to condemning Mr Jeyaretnam.

Besides it was Mr Chiam who, as the secretary-general, had negotiated and approved Mr Wong's entry into the SDP. The irony of ironies was that he did this without the knowledge of party chairman Ling How Doong. (SDP split: Chiam against the rest, Straits Times, 4 Dec 93)

We kept Chiam's resignation under wraps

Through all the negotiations, the CEC kept Mr Chiam's resignation under wraps for one full month. It was only when we felt that we could not conceal the matter anymore that Mr Chiam's resignation was made public.

Important questions that readers must ask are: First, if the CEC wanted to force Mr Chiam out, why did we wait one whole month to announce the matter? Second, why did we repeatedly visit Mr Chiam and asked him to change his mind if we really wanted him out? Why did we not, instead, pounce on the opportunity and quickly announce his resignation? After all, we were in possession of Mr Chiam's hand-written resignation note - complete with signature.

The truth is that nobody - including me - wanted Mr Chiam out. Yes, CEC members differed with him about the censure motion but this didn't mean that we wanted him to step down as secretary-general.

What it does mean is that Mr Chiam could not have everything his way in the CEC. But what democratic leader could? Is this not what we criticise the PAP for?

The truth is that Mr Chiam was having a rocky relationship with his colleagues in the CEC way before I had come onto the scene because of his own leadership problems. It was at bursting point when I joined the party. I certainly was not the one who forced him out.

But some may ask why, if we did not want to force Mr Chiam out, did we expel him fom the party? I will explain this in Part 2.

In 1993, during the hearing where Mr Chiam sued the SDP former party chairman Mr Ling How Doong testified that, "In my view, all the troubles between Chiam and Wong Hong Toy started after the 1991 General Elections, when Wong came to help me full-time."

Mr Chiam himself confirmed this when he told the court: "To me, the problems started in 1988, when Wong Hong Toy and about 15 other Workers' Party members joined the party."

Mr Ashleigh Seow (Mr Francis Seow's son) then a CEC member testified: "Most people have had a difficult time with [Mr Chiam] at one time or another. Mr Seow pointed out CEC members like Messrs Jimmy Tan, Cheo Chai Chen, Francis Yong and himself.

Mr Kwan Yue Keng, another CEC member had, in 1987 spoken up against "one-man shows" referring to Mr Chiam.

Mr Chiam replied: "Someone must lead. Who initiates? The leader. "

Mr Ling: "The CEC."

Mr Chiam: "Collective leadership is nonsense."

Mr Ling: "You're talking of dictatorship."

SDPhopelessParty

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Sir,

At the time of writing this, the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) is known to be preparing for a General Election (GE) which is expected to be held within the few months. For the past 30 years the SDP has been active in GE. In 1991 it rose to prominence by winning 3 seats.

Since the 1990s, Dr Chee Soon Juan has continuously held the position of secretary-general in SDP. Dr Chee and his sister Ms Chee Siok Chin has tried to raise the profile of SDP by being more directly critical of the ruling People’s Action Party (PAP). This has resulted in the SDP being involved in a series of civil and criminal lawsuits.

Between 1984 and 1991, the PAP had seen its share of valid votes decreased from 78% to 61%. The actions of the Chee siblings had been to the advantage of the PAP. It had managed to portray the SDP and other critics as an assembly of hot-headed radicals. As a result, the SDP had been indirectly helping the PAP to win votes.

In the 1997 GE, the PAP reversed the decreasing vote trend by winning 65% of valid votes. In the 2001 GE, the PAP increased its valid vote share to 75%. In the 2006 GE, the SDP received approximately of 25% of valid votes in its contests. This was far below the 33% average for all opposition candidates.

Currently the SDP may be able to increase its vote share or even win a parliamentary seat due to apparent rising anti-PAP sentiments. It is essential the SDP should maintain contact with the masses through cool-headed rational discussion.

The Chee siblings had been associated with confrontational methods and this had almost certainly put off many voters. Therefore the writer urged the Chee siblings to maintain a low profile in the expected 2010 GE. It can still play a role as mentors to potential candidates.

With the large inflow of immigrants which are expected to more supportive of the PAP, this opposition would had to be very careful
not to give away any advantage to the PAP.

Yours truly,

Mr Chua Yuankai

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Chua Yuankai,

Do you not know the real reasons why the SDP isn't scoring higher than the rest of the oppositions? SDP leaders have been hounded and bankrupted by the bullying pappies!

They have smeared and tarnished the SDP leaders thru total control of the 154th. Its because of their confrontational methods that the PAP are afraid of the SDP educating and empowering the people of Sinkapoor. PAP would prefer all oppositions to be subservient and not question their every decision.

I actually do like the SDP style in questioning the oppressive policies of the PAP. Chiam See Tong and Low Thia Khiang are only a shade better than the PAP MPs. But they have no real balls to oppose and question the policies which are not in favour of sinkies. As long as they do not rock the status quo, they will be left alone to collect their monthly $14,000 salary. There isn't a level playing field in sinkieland.

Are you happy with the present situation?

If not, do you then agree we need more oppositions in the mould of the patriotic Chee siblings?

Poor pathetic you.

SDPhopelessParty

Alfrescian
Loyal
u guys have witnessed here how SDP IB doggies behave. imagine if they were to be in power, the same and maybe even worst behaviour could result.

how to trust SDP? everyone should be THRUSTING them upside down. they are hooligans and bullies and u people really want them in politic or worst to be running your ward? please do not be stupid and be dominated by a bunch of zombied imbeciles - the rabid dogs of SDP !!

G

General Veers

You guys here have witnessed how FAP IB doggies behave. How to trust FAP? They are hooligans and bullies and u people really want them to remain in power to ass u for another 5 years? please do not be stupid and be dominated by a bunch of imbeciles - the rabid dogs of FAP!!

Remember to vote for any opposition except the FAP.

SDPhopelessParty

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quote : Singaporean not stupid3

Beside Reform Party ,WORKER PARTY , Mr LKT , Mrs Sliva e.t.c
is the only party that talk SENSE.

Knn … Mr CHEE’s get off singapore politic lar …

SDPhopelessParty

Alfrescian
Loyal
RP and SDA joint walkabout @ Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC

<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sqfSYwvLByE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sqfSYwvLByE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

S

Sun Wukong

<object height="505" width="640">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KIYYq9fVyLY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="505" width="640"></object>

Hehehehehe

Mohd_Ah_LEE

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is a person to be highlighted

Wong Hong Toy

He is from the same clan as LKY Hakka

Where ever opposition party he went to join, and which ever leader was leading it he caused the party to rupture badly. This is strongly supported by facts.

Wong Hong Toy 1st fought within the WP with the leader before JBJ, he was fighting with David Marshall. That was when he was close with JBJ, and PAP put him in jail charged together with JBJ.

Then Wong Hong Toy fought with JBJ so seriously that JBJ never forgave him until he died in 2008. JBJ is a forgiving person that forgave most people except for Wong Hong Toy.

Before we ask if CSJ the person who ousted Chiam from SDP, we must also ask:
Was Low Thia Kiang the person who ousted JBJ from WP?

The answer is just the same, it was Wong Hong Toy.

Then when quarrel with JBJ in WP, Wong Hong Toy took a bunch of 15 members to resign from WP and joint SDP with Chiam. Many in WP including LTK is not so happy with Wong Hong Toy.

When Wong Hong Toy joined SDP, he started to oust Chiam from SDP, but he made it looked like CSJ did it. But he got CSJ's trust. Wong Hong Toy visited other country's politician together with CSJ. And like w JBJ, he also went to prison with CSJ charged by PAP.

After Chiam was ousted, Wong Hong Toy was again causing SDP to rupture under CSJ after so many years when LKY & son sued SDP entire CED for NKF. Wong Hong Toy was among the 1st CEC member to switch side and make apology to LKY & Son, many other CEC member were caused by him to change their strong stands and make apology to LKY & Son.

It was just Wong Hong Toy.

Only when CSJ & CSC & Gandhi could re-build up SDP with a stronger team of activists and fighters Wong Hong Toy had then left quietly.

Game over as no opposition party in SGP will welcome him Wong Hong Toy.

Reform party's Ng Teck Siong was also both in WP & SDP (co-founder with Chiam), he and JBJ are both very angry with Wong Hong Toy. NSP where many seniors are too wary of the notorious character of Wong Hong Toy.

G

General Veers

Veers

Just like your character the SDP will win the fight but be maimed afterwards

Win? You must be kidding. They can only expose the FAP and famiLEE with alternative news from non main stream media. While SDP have it's own supporters, i think the party is literally dead but not it's members.

SDPhopelessParty

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chiam resigned only as Secretary General.
SDP ousted Chiam from his party. And by so doing, SDP was ousting Chiam from Parliament – but Chiam won the court fight and kept his seat.

Chee – you have let down the whole opposition. Please return SDP to Chiam See Tong. Let will be a good start for opposition unity and real reforms.

belowbelt

Alfrescian
Loyal
You poor thing. Have to keep posting the same things on different threads.

But keep that up because it pushes this thread up and attracts more readership.

Good boy!

SDPhopelessParty

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chee rapped again for introducing a “confrontational” Western-style democracy in Singapore

Following Dr Chee’s letter to the Straits Times forum rebutting Mrs Chiam’s claim that he had ousted opposition leader Chiam See Tong from the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) 17 years ago, a Singaporean by the name of Patrick Tan has responded by rapping him again for his intent to introduce Western-styled democracy into Singapore.

His letter begins:

“I REFER to the report, ‘Chiam’s SDP exit: Wife speaks up’ (March 29), and Dr Chee Soon Juan’s response last Friday, ‘No one forced Chiam out: SDP chief’. I do not know either of them personally, nor have I voted for them. But I regard Mr Chiam highly as an opposition MP – he has contributed in no insignificant way to Singapore politics. Dr Chee, however, seems more intent on introducing a confrontational Western-style democracy in Singapore. While that model may work in some countries, it does not mean it is the best and only model for us.”

Mr Tan then went into a tirade against the “bipartisan politics” seen in other modern democracies like United States and Thailand.

He opined that such a “confrontational approach” is not suitable for Singapore:

“Singapore is a young country with a multiracial population. While we have enjoyed peace for many years now, our society remains fragile. Harmony is key to our survival and our future. In this scenario, political contests by rival parties based on a confrontational approach are not the best model.”

By publishing his letter, is the Straits Times endorsing Mr Tan’s views as well? In fact, the PAP and the state media have been perpetuating the erroneous view for ages that “confrontational” politics is detrimental to Singapore.

Mr Tan appears to be one of the many Singaporeans who have been unwittingly brainwashed by the state media over the years.

There is no such thing as “confrontational” or “western-styled” democracy. Democracy simply means a model of governance based on a certain set of criteria such as multi-party politics, rule of law, accountability and transparency as well as an institutionalized system of checks and balances.

The political turmoil that Thailand is currently embroiled in is not caused by “confrontational” democracy, but by inherent weaknesses in its system which enables an entrenched elite to subvert the will of the people and seize power in an undemocratic and unconstitutional manner.

Mr Tan added that “it does not matter if we have a full Western-style democracy, partial demo-cracy or socialism that works the Singapore way. What is important is that we continue to achieve happiness, prosperity and progress based on justice and equality.”

Singapore is not a democracy – it is a pseudo-fascist totalitarian state with all its institutions controlled by a single party or rather a single clique within the party with no checks or balances whatsoever.

Such a system may appear to be stable on the whole so long there is a strongman to hold the pieces together, but once he is gone, the rot will begin from within and cracks will appear eventually.

The PAP is currently given a blank cheque to run the nation and look how it screws up the lives of ordinary Singaporeans with its catastrophic immigration and labor policies – has it really achieved happiness, prosperity and progress based on justice and equality for us?

Under PAP rule, only a small group of people including PAP ministers have achieved happiness, prosperity and progress. The rest of us are simply struggling to get by with life.

As for justice and equality, justice only stands on the side of those who are well-connected and some people are more equal than others especially if there are from the PAP.

This is the reality on the ground. Without confronting the PAP heads on, will Singaporeans be able to reclaim their own country ever again?