• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PAPee's Fake Theory on Active Aging

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Active ageing: Re-look fare policy
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->AT THE dialogue on active ageing reported in last Thursday's article, 'Seniors look for more active lifestyle', I questioned the anomaly of senior citizens' concessions on public transport continuing to be restricted to specific time periods.
In the report, Minister in the Prime Minister's Office Lim Boon Heng was reported as saying that concession fares were unfair, that the number of elderly people in Singapore was growing, that young people would have to shoulder the cost of providing concessions to a big group of people, and that it would not be sustainable.
For 10 years, I have actively lobbied for senior citizen fares to apply at all times and the public transport operators have loosened their reins ever so slightly.
My appeal is to help the still-working elderly who usually take on low-paying jobs and must reach their workplaces early.
So, the minister's reply is sad as it projects ahead to a future that today's elderly may not live long enough to participate in.
The other implication is that the aged are seen as a millstone around the necks of a more progressive and younger future generation.
One would think that, for the present, it is enough to consider whether the public transport operators are operating at some degree of profitability, and all evidence is that they are doing so.
As long as that happy state of affairs is maintained, surely the daily needs of more than a couple of million commuters should take precedence over the interests of, at best, a few thousand shareholders, or even of generations to come?
Narayana Narayana

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=heading>Latest comments</TD></TR><TR><TD id=messageDisplayRegion width="100%"><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=Post cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Hello govt, see my post in the other thread "100,000 women without Medishield"

"The question is, what is the govt going to do with this group of people (aged 70 and above)? This group of people works the hardest, suffered the most since independence and yet the ones most likely to have insufficient CPF monies since it is only implemented only in the 80s. These people would already have been retired in 80s and 90s.

Are the govt going to ignore their past contributions? I wish I could say my dad is healthy except for diabetes. Are the insurers going to take a chance? If Medishield dont cover my dad, why should private insurers stick their noses into it? There is even an age limit on enrolment for Eldershield."
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Posted by: wudang10 at Wed Jul 29 09:13:45 SGT 2009
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ah narayana ...

ah heng said young ppl cannot shoulder cost of providing concesions 2 a big gp of ppl ... of cos cannot la ... otherwise, where gt enuff moni 2 pay world's bestest paid gahmen salary? ...