• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PAP cock up again - Man dies after exercise at Health Promotion Board Lose To Win

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
Man dies after exercise at weight-loss challenge
Safety measures for the Health Promotion Board event now under review
By Mavis Toh

SAFETY precautions surrounding weight-loss challenge Lose To Win are being reviewed after a father of two died shortly after a brisk walking session last Saturday.

Mr Ong Joo Aun, 54, a human resource executive, was resting after the 2km walk at Yishun Stadium when he collapsed. He was pronounced dead at Khoo Teck Puat Hospital.

His death has led some to question whether more checks should be done to ensure that participants are fit enough to be part of such weight-loss challenges.

Lose To Win, which started in 2009 and is organised by the Health Promotion Board (HPB), is a 12-week weight-management challenge, sections of which have been aired on television in previous years.

Participants go through twice-weekly sessions of physical activities consisting of progressive resistance training, flexibility exercises and moderate intensity cardiovascular training such as brisk walking.

Mr Ong's widow, Madam Chuah Siew Guat, 48, told The Straits Times yesterday that he had undergone a heart bypass about 10 years ago.

She added that her husband's death certificate listed the cause of death as coronary artery blockage, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.

She said everyone taking part in the challenge should go through a body check-up, adding: 'Sometimes we really can't tell what's going on in our body.'

The HPB said yesterday that it is reviewing the event's safety precautions.

It said morbidly obese people are not allowed to take part because they are more likely to get injured and need constant medical supervision.

All participants are also given an internationally recognised Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PAR-Q). This looks for symptoms of an undetected medical condition by asking questions such as whether one feels pain in the chest when exercising. Those who fail cannot take part unless a doctor gives them the all-clear.

Mr Ong failed the test, but was allowed to enter the challenge after submitting a doctor's letter, the spokesman added.

It was the second time he had taken part in Lose To Win. In 2009, he lost more than 3kg through the programme. He weighed 69.9kg when he died, about 2kg less than when he started.

Personal trainer Chris Chew said full-body check-ups should be done before this kind of challenge. He added that all his clients have to take a PAR-Q test before he tailors their exercise regime. Those above 35 years of age also have to undergo a medical check-up.

'We need to know their health, to know whether physically they can handle the exercises. Especially when it's a challenge, people tend to push themselves.'

Mr Roderick Layung, 40, an engineer, who lost 10kg through Lose To Win in 2009, said fitness instructors are present at each session to make sure people exercise at their own pace.

HPB said a safety briefing is conducted before the start of any physical activity and participants are asked if they feel unwell. A team of paramedics and an ambulance are also on standby.

[email protected]

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Nothing to do with the PAP. Humans are designed to die and the weak are programmed to die before the strong.

It's nature's way of ensuring survival of the species.

My question is why these fatties ended up overweight in the first place.:rolleyes: Anyone with half a brain would stop filling their faces if they looked in the mirror and saw Michelin man staring back at them.

michelin.jpg

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing to do with the PAP. Humans are designed to die and the weak are programmed to die before the strong.

My question is why these fatties ended up overweight in the first place.:rolleyes: Anyone with half a brain would stop filling their faces if they looked in the mirror and saw Michelin man staring back at them.

michelin.jpg

dun be so mean la, when you are old, someone might call you "flabby old chap"

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
dun be so mean la, when you are old, someone might call you "flabby old chap"

I'm AM old and nobody has called me a "flabby old chap". My 94 year old neighbour goes for 5 km walks on a regular basis and he's still alive and kicking.

Gatchaman Jun G-3

Alfrescian
Loyal
No offence to the deceased, but after 2km brisk walk and already collapsed? He must have been piling up on very unhealthy food. Even most adults his age can walk for 4km and some can even run 4km.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its a 2km "walk", so what does his death, perhaps in the result of his own lack of fitness, what does it got to do with PAP?

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its a 2km "walk", so what does his death, perhaps in the result of his own lack of fitness, what does it got to do with PAP?
PAP didnt screen him properly, his blood vessels must have been choked with saturated fats. he should have start with a 400m brisk walking first.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
Humans are designed to die and the weak are programmed to die before the strong.

hahaha....sam kor......you are WRONG here..
life is unpredictable.....many cases of fit and healthy pple/sportsmen suddenly dropped dead.......many cases of bedridden pple outlasting the so called "strong" pple..

Balllessme

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha....sam kor......you are WRONG here..
life is unpredictable.....many cases of fit and healthy pple/sportsmen suddenly dropped dead.......many cases of bedridden pple outlasting the so called "strong" pple..

Is predictable... as "strong" people got "strong" and "specialize" medical team everyday checking "strong" people's pulse/blood pressure/heartbeat/Erection and so on...:p

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm AM old and nobody has called me a "flabby old chap". My 94 year old neighbour goes for 5 km walks on a regular basis and he's still alive and kicking.

You win!...Jack La Lanne died at 96! Some people are genetically FAT, they have elongated genes in their system, and are programmed to be FAT, they just can't help it. The majority, just don't care..

I remember, when I was much younger I jogged played tennis, badminton, squash..etc. not just every Joneses was doing it, but to keep healthy & busy. But how many will do that, the excuse, no time....!!

It was when I got a bit older & became darn lazy, that I put on a little...and due to age, can not exert myself like before, was told by the doctor; to walk briskly & that is what I am doing.

Some people just don't get fat, their metabolism rate is high, maybe you are one of them...:biggrin:

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
look at 11 seasons of biggest loser,,,, make sure to have enough professionals to look after these overweight follks before embarking whatever shit,,,,

KNN still half bake policies and programmes and consider themselves a fucking 1st world standard

Ptuiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No offence to the deceased, but after 2km brisk walk and already collapsed? He must have been piling up on very unhealthy food. Even most adults his age can walk for 4km and some can even run 4km.

That guy has a serious medical history. He's had heart bypass surgery & you can't get anymore serious than that.

Not saying he couldn't walk 2 km but since he died, the question is, if he was so unhealthy who pushed him to strain himself:confused: Who are these so called professionals organising these "challenges"?

Gatchaman Jun G-3

Alfrescian
Loyal
That guy has a serious medical history. He's had heart bypass surgery & you can't get anymore serious than that.

Not saying he couldn't walk 2 km but since he died, the question is, if he was so unhealthy who pushed him to strain himself:confused: Who are these so called professionals organising these "challenges"?

I agree that there should be stringent checks on the contestants involved, but ultimately, it is the person himself who knows best. He can choose not to take part and do his own exercise regime, tailored to suit his comfort. But to fully blame PAP (I really don't see the link) or the organizers is ridiculous.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think all of us here have exercised before. The problem is don't push yourself to the limit. Even fit personnel dies from exercise. They could complete 5km run few times a week, yet can even die from running a 2.4km run.

Some people during exercise always tell themselves, I can do it, I can do it. But you already feel uncomfortable yet still want to push over the limit. So no matter what kind of steps taken, just have to tell yourself, if you feel uncomfortable already, just stop it.

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree that there should be stringent checks on the contestants involved, but ultimately, it is the person himself who knows best. He can choose not to take part and do his own exercise regime, tailored to suit his comfort. But to fully blame PAP (I really don't see the link) or the organizers is ridiculous.

if PAP doesn't wants to take responsibility for the programs they organize, then dont do it, that fatty wouldn't have die if PAP had engage an experience doctor to observe the participants during the run.

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
So PAP did screen you properly?
When did you last screened by PAP?

if PAP doesn't wants to take responsibility for the programs they organize, then dont do it, that fatty wouldn't have die if PAP had engage an experience doctor to observe the participants during the run.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But to fully blame PAP (I really don't see the link) or the organizers is ridiculous.

Every year NS men die from running the same distance & here you have some PAP organisation doing the same for overweight people. Don't you think it's asking for trouble :eek:

They are the ones who organised the challenge & set the 2 km target. If the PAP is not to blame then who is :confused:

Just another honest mistake from an irresponsible bunch who didn't think about the consequences:mad: