• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Outsourcing to Arizona instead of India

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unlike mfg where it it take billions to build up factories and supply chain, IT outsourcing work can easily be move with flip of switch. Take example of China, mfg think 3 times before outsourcing work out of China given the huge market potential. GM sold more cars in China then in the US and Mercedes, BMW, VW, GM are pumping in billions in terms of capacity. beijing knows that therefore allow for Honda strike to raise workers' pay. Beijing do not want MNCs to just cream off the profit but instead want better workers' pay and benefits (also means more stable tax base).

Singapore should do the very same thing as in Arizona. Create a productivity board to train and match Singaporeans to available jobs. Instead of usual real estate or taxi driver job, why not train then for bank job, IT programming job - jobs that pay well (good for CPF, less need for Gov help in future). Gov ask industry what types of talent they need then they work with employers to give job offers and then Gov throw in the training (1 or 2 years also ok).

For goodness sake do not do 4 week courses - useless. Get employers input on what they need and match make to Singaporeans with soon to be acquired skills . OK if they want you staff then throw in tax benefits for hiring someone older. I often talk to taxi drivers and many are intelligent, some do well in school but somehow fall through cracks. Many have the math skills but English not to strong. These people would be excellent for the It industry.

OK to hire foreign talent but must help our own lah. we just spent $300M on YOG, that money could easily retrain 10K older/displaced Singaporeans and reequip them for new jobs. Not aiming for some low paying $20K per year job but something where they can make $50K a year within 3 years!!

OK not to have crutch mentality but on the other hand we must offer therapy to help Singaporeans not have to use crutch.

(CNNMoney.com) -- Looking for skilled, low-cost labor? Forget about India and China. How about Jonesboro, Ark.?

As the national unemployment rate hovers near 10%, some companies are starting to eye job-hungry areas of the country as prime candidates for the kind of outsourced work that once would have gone overseas.

diggs
diggEmail Print Comment
Onshore Technology's IT center in Macon, Mo.
Dubbed "ruralsourcing," "rural outsourcing" and "onshoring," the practice relies on two simple premises: Smaller towns need jobs, and they offer a cheaper cost of living than urban centers. So businesses that outsource work to these areas can expect to pay less -- rates are often as much as 25% to 50% lower -- than if they were hiring urbanites with comparable skills.

In response, a new crop of outsourcing startups are popping up with development centers in places like Joplin, Mo., and Eveleth, Minn., where hundreds of employees crank out software code or offer IT support for large corporate clients.

"It's extremely timely given our economic climate," says Mary Lacity, an information systems professor at the University of Missouri-St. Louis who has written 12 books on outsourcing. "And I think there's a demand for it."

Compared with the estimated $60-billion-a-year offshoring industry, rural outsourcing remains just a blip on the radar. Yet the strategy is becoming a more popular option for businesses that are trying to stretch their budgets.

One rural outsourcer, Onshore Technology Services, recruits workers from minimum-wage jobs and gives them intensive training in IT specialties. Sixty-five people work in IT centers in the rural Missouri towns of Macon, Lebanon, and Joplin.

"They're moving people from fast-food to IT jobs and letting them use their brains," Lacity says.

Meanwhile, CrossUSA in Burnsville, Minn., recruits experienced, older IT workers who are nearing retirement for its 100-employee operations in Sebeka, Minn., (population 700) and Eveleth, Minn., (population 3,000).

The draw for workers is the chance to make their money stretch as far as possible prior to retirement. "They're trying to figure out the best way to finish their careers, and some people want a small-town quality of life," says John Beasley, CrossUSA's director of business development.

CrossUSA is growing at a 7% annual clip, with $9 million in sales last year. Its turnover rate is low -- in a town of 3,000 people, who can woo away your employees?

For some companies, the thought of outsourcing work to countries with different laws and business practices feels risky. Take Human Genome Sciences, a Rockville, Md., biotech company. The 900-employee company got bids from several outsourcers to handle the technical support for its back-office software. One of those bidders, AnswerThink, would have offshored the work to India. But the idea of sending confidential company information overseas, outside the reach of American intellectual property law, didn't sit well with David Evans, an IT director at Human Genome Sciences.

Instead, Evans hired Atlanta-based Rural Sourcing Inc. and its team of software experts in Jonesboro, Ark.

"There's a real desire to keep things onshore," Evans says. "There's a backlash against offshoring. There are a lot of horror stories, a lot of jokes."

Evans had his own stories of struggling to work on projects outsourced overseas by Human Genome Sciences' vendors. The outsourcers were in drastically different time zones, concepts were hard to communicate, and cultural differences created misunderstandings.

Human Genome Sciences now pays about $55 an hour for technical support from Rural Sourcing. That's about 15% higher than the rates quoted by the Indian outsourcing firm Evans considered, but half of what it would cost for him to hire a software development firm locally in the Washington, D.C., metro area.

"Now when we have a problem, we can get right on the phone and talk through the issue real-time. That right there is worth the extra cost," Evans says.

Launched in 2004, Rural Sourcing Inc. sets up shop in mid-size cities that are near universities -- places like Jonesboro, where the average IT salary is $35,000, versus $65,000 in a large metro area. The cost of living in Jonesboro is also 23% less than the U.S. average.

Rural Sourcing now counts GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) and R.J. Reynolds as clients, and its revenues are on track to triple this year to $4 million, says CEO Monty Hamilton. The company plans to expand beyond a single center in Jonesboro and open two new IT development centers, including one in Greenville, N.C., by the year's end.

"Companies are stumbling upon us, and it's growing gangbusters," Hamilton says. "There's no reason why we can't put a lot of people to work."

That includes people like Zachariah Carlson, 27, who expected he would have to move to California to get a job after he graduated last fall from Arkansas State University with a computer science degree. (Jonesboro's biggest employers are the university, retailers and hospitals.)

Carlson says he and his girlfriend were grateful he got a job locally customizing back-end software systems for corporate clients. He works out of Rural Sourcing's 60-person development center, not too far from Booneville, the 5,000-person town where he grew up. "This is where we are from. Our whole lives have been here," Carlson says.

But don't call Carlson "cheap labor." He bristles at the idea. After all, he says, he's doing what he wants, where he wants, and he's proud of his work, even if it doesn't come with a Silicon Valley salary.

"The reason we're low-cost is because we're in a more rural area with a lower cost of living," he says. "I didn't have to sacrifice anything to get where I am."

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know of many who fell through the cracks because they could not handle Mandarin as a 2nd language. I know of some who were trained for the hardware industry to feed EDB projections of being high tech mfg hub (Seagate, Conner). Then I keep hearing that we need to increase retirement age. I think Gov could easily help out all these folks. Not talking about handouts but scholarships/retraining grant that will lead to good jobs. There need to be a tie-in with training and job offers.

I know of an Indian software manager (he manages these programming teams) - he personally told me that you can train someone to do the type of programming that is needed in Silicon Valley in 9 to 12 months. It helps if you have a strong Math background. Just imagine - 12 months and you can become a vaunted software programmer. So instead of infosys Singapore bringing in all the Indian FT, why not JV with infosys (throw in some training subsidy/tax credit) and get them to hire Singaporeans.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A couple of things about Arizona that will make them the 2nd IT center of US.
1) cheaper property rent compared to trendy califonia.
2) Arizona has one of the most pro business employment laws in US. San Fran is one of he places with the most ridiculous labour laws in US.
3) Weather there is good for data centers and server farms. The place is a dry desert. Stare long enough in the distance and you can spot Wil E Cayote chasing after Road runner.

America has learnt their lesson and is now going on the insourcing/onshoring trend. More Indians will be going home or coming to singapore.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I know of an Indian software manager (he manages these programming teams) - he personally told me that you can train someone to do the type of programming that is needed in Silicon Valley in 9 to 12 months. It helps if you have a strong Math background. Just imagine - 12 months and you can become a vaunted software programmer. So instead of infosys Singapore bringing in all the Indian FT, why not JV with infosys (throw in some training subsidy/tax credit) and get them to hire Singaporeans.

personally i wouldn't believe any kind of miracles these people claim they can perform. no offense bud. but i've seen and heard too much in my young life.