• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Our language skills kana suan by foreigners.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
We are neither here nor there in our language skills, not to mention our dialects which most of the kids can't even speak nowadays.
It is the way all of us were brought up n taught from our 1st day in school which resulted in us being neither proficient in English or Mandarin.
Har? You say you lah. What we? Simi all of us? Chey! :rolleyes:

ToaPehGong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't worry everybody. Singapore has a language policy of speaking whatever language where the money is. The money was in the west previously and we spoke English. Now that the money is in China, we will be a Chinese speaking country soon. But seems my highest paid PM in the world realised this a bit too late and was asked to stand behind. Long live PAP, huat ahhhhhh
20190419_135729.gif

Boliao

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY has admitted that it is not possible to master two languages at the same level. That is the fact in life.
“Nobody can master two languages at the same level. If (you think) you can, you’re deceiving yourself. My daughter is a neurologist, and late in my life she told me language ability and intelligence are two different things."

2 million Singapore Chinese proved that wrong cause majority of them are equally bad in both English and Mandarin. :laugh: Teaching Chinese in English is the beginning of our failure to know Chinese. Doing so encourages children to conceptualize the idea in English before translating them into Chinese; resulting in the inability to think and speak naturally in Chinese language. The old ways are correct as the older generations are living testimonies.

Meanwhile in China, teenagers are speaking English proficiently (and with a natural American accent; not the type of fake accent Singaporean uses).

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP bilingual policy farce. take them for example. LHL is not fluent in Chinese . the future pm Heng doesn't speak Chinese well. some of their mps can't even speak just several sentences in Chinese properly.