• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Our Gurkha

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.poskod.sg/Posts/2011/10/11/LETTER-FROM-SG-Our-Gurkhas

Gurkha1.jpg

LETTER FROM SG: Our Gurkhas
Memories of Malaya, in Nepal.
LETTER FROM SG: Our Gurkhas

In pockets of Pokhara, Bhairahawa, Dharan, and Kathmandu, there are some who speak Malay as well as our forefathers do.

They speak of when Singapore was largely jungle, flooding whenever it rained.

They speak of development: the Singapore River, Raffles Place, the Padang, ministers in white, the Beatles, and Pop Yeh-Yeh.

They speak of turbulent years, quelling the riots widespread in pre-independent Singapore.

These stories of life in the Lion City belong to the Gurkhas. This community of Nepalese men served Singapore during the nation's, and their formative years. Yet for many, Singapore is a home they will never return to.

Established in April 1949, the Gurkha Contingent of the Singapore Police Force was formed as a neutral presence. Authorities felt it was necessary to have an element within the police unaffected by racial prejudices in Malaya.

They came into prominence in the 1950s and 1960s, a time of strikes and racial riots — especially those involving the Chinese and Malays — as Singapore inched closer to independence.

Quietly, these men protected some of Singapore’s most important places, installations, and ministerial residences. The most famous being 38 Oxley Road, former prime minister Lee Kuan Yew's residence.

They continue to watch over such landmarks. Presently, an estimated two thousand Gurkhas serve in the Singapore Police Force. Together with their wives and children, they live in Mount Vernon Camp, a barricaded compound off Joo Seng Road. Close to five thousand make up this invisible community.

Upon completion of over 20 years of service, however, these Gurkhas are immediately repatriated, along with their families.

They are now scattered all over Nepal, with the majority living in urban cities such as Kathmandu and Pokhara. Others, finding retirement in their early forties a luxury, continue second careers in security in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Brunei.

With limited work opportunities in Nepal, where unemployment stands at an estimated 46%, most children have followed in their parents' footsteps. It is now their turn to seek their fortunes overseas and to leave their parents at home.

When met, the Gurkhas were quick with questions about Singapore. They ask for updates about political leaders (even opposition members), the recent general elections, as well as the rapid development of this young nation.

Though happy to meet someone from Singapore, some also wondered why their children could not stay longer here to further their education or to seek a better life. They spoke about citizenship and permanent residency in hushed tones, perhaps a reflection of the discipline instilled during their service.

When they arrive as young men, most Gurkhas do not seek to become Singaporeans. Yet, they remain puzzled at the rate at which other immigrants are welcomed, while their community remains inherently foreign despite the duration of their stay and service.

It is a question left unanswered, as authorities remain tight-lipped about such immigration policies.

Still, the Gurkhas would rather recollect better memories. Having returned home, their thoughts continue to turn towards their once adopted homeland.

4543 — INSP (Ret.) Til Bahadur Khatri
Gurkha2_2.jpg

Retired inspector Til Bahadur Khatri cannot help but feel nostalgic when talking about Singapore in the 1950s.

With much of the Lion City still a jungle, the 75-year-old remembers:

"When it rained heavily, floods were sure to happen as there was no proper drainage system."

As Singapore progressed through the years, he enjoyed taking walks by the Singapore River.

He would pass by Raffles Place, the old Treasury building, and Henderson Bridge, which is still there today.

During lunchtime, he would see office workers making their way to small food stalls where food and beverages were cheap.

"One bottle of Pepsi-Cola was only 10 cents!"

He holds a photograph of himself in uniform in his last few years of service before retirement.

The 75-year-old served from 1956 till 1983.

Gurkha3.jpg

4561 — SSG (Ret.) Bhabhindra Bahadur Malla
Gurkha4.jpg

An aerial photograph of the Singapore River and the Central Business District dominates the wall of retired staff sergeant Bhabhindra Bahadur Malla.

This was his last impression of Singapore before retirement in 1984.

He pointed to a statue familiar to all Singaporeans, including the Gurkhas — a mythical creature with the head of a lion and the body of a fish.

In the photograph, tugboats are strewn all over the river. "The Merlion is no longer there," I said.

"Where has it gone?" he asked, surprised.

As the coastline has expanded to accommodate more buildings, the Merlion is now closer to the mouth of the river, I explained.

He replied, "That is Singapore, always changing."
He holds a photograph of himself in uniform just before his retirement.

The 67-year-old served from 1960 till 1984.

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gurkha5.jpg

Gurkha6.jpg

It has been over half a century since Pan Bahadur Gurung arrived in Singapore, but he remembers the then British-ruled colony — 7 years after the Japanese Occupation.

There were only a few decent homes and buildings in the Tanjong Pagar area and near the General Hospital.

By the beaches and even on the sea, some had built their homes. It was free as it was not on land and they could also catch fish for meals.

"Everything should have changed," the 78-year-old said, "I would like to go back some day."

He has not returned since retirement in 1978.
He holds a photograph of himself in his ceremonial uniform in Mount Vernon Camp, taken in 1976.
Gurkha7.jpg

4596 — SSG (Ret.) Nar Bahadur Rai
Gurkha8.jpg

After a few days of tough work, Gurkhas like Nar Bahadur Rai would often hit the cinemas during their off days.

"Is the Singapura Cinema still there?" the retired staff sergeant asked.

I replied that the cinema is still there but no longer in operation.

For those who frequented Geylang Serai in the 1960s and 1970s, the Singapura Cinema was a prominent landmark — once showcasing Malay classics or Hindustani films with Malay subtitles.

One such Hindi epic was Sangam, a four hour long classic belonging to my parents' and grandparents' generation. Rai still remembers the star Raj Kapoor, who both acted in and directed the movie — a household name for Hindi moviegoers then.

“Also, tickets costed only 50 cents,” he added with a smile.

At such a price, he has lost count of the number of times he entered that landmark cinema.
He holds a photograph of himself, taken in the early 1960s.

The 70-year-old served from 1960 till 1986.
Gurkha9.jpg

4574 — SSG (Ret.) Janga Bahadur Pun
Gurkha10.jpg

It has been almost 26 years since Janga Bahadur Pun last left Singapore — the year in which I was born.

His eyes wide, he looked at me and said in Malay: "You are as old as the time I am away from Singapore."

He even asked which village I was from but realised that by that time, there were no more villages — only tall buildings.

With his palm outstretched, he bent each of his fingers — one by one — towards himself to illustrate how buildings in Singapore grew taller and taller with each passing year till his retirement.

He holds up a photograph of himself in uniform, taken in 1964.

The 69-year-old served from 1960 till 1985.

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gurkha11.jpg

When he was in the army, photojournalist Zakaria Zainal was assisted by a Gurkha during a navigational exercise. Since then, he has traveled widely through Nepal, tracking the lives and stories of the Singapore Gurkhas. In 2010, he produced The Invisible Force, an illustrated journalism feature, together with Chong Zi Liang. Our Gurkhas, a work in progress, stem from his June 2011 travels, and aim to give these silent sentinels a place in Singapore's history.

For more, visit FIVEFOOTWAY, a digital magazine on the people and forces shaping Asian cities.

Words, Images & Illustration Zakaria Zainal

http://www.poskod.sg/Posts/2011/10/11/LETTER-FROM-SG-Our-Gurkhas

byleftcan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Didn't know they were kicked out after their service. Quite tragic, compared to the foreigners who are allowed to reside here, foreigners who have no loyalty, while the gurkhas are in many ways loyal and yet no rewarded.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They spoke about citizenship and permanent residency in hushed tones, perhaps a reflection of the discipline instilled during their service.

When they arrive as young men, most Gurkhas do not seek to become Singaporeans. Yet, they remain puzzled at the rate at which other immigrants are welcomed,.......their community remains inherently foreign despite the duration of their stay and service

I would rather have these Brave loyal Gurkhas as our New Citizens than fucktard coward Ah nehs from India, and Ah Tiongs from PRC...Bastard PAP.. These Gurkhas have served this country loyally..They and their family have integrated into our way of life.. Sporean citizenships should be deservedly given to them on a platter for their sacrifices to this country... But our fucked up PAP Govt gave out citizenships freely to opportunistic bastards from India and PRC..:mad: :mad: KNNBCCB PAP..:mad:

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Gurkhas are all recruited by British in the name of the British Crown first. Singapore is just one of the countries trusted and permitted to have an allocation of Gurkhas of those passed out from their "BMT." All were trained as soldiers but could function as policemen too given some additional law enforcement trainings. They were sworn in as mercenaries, that's the most important aspect. It's already understood at the outset when they accepted the job and they'd never be given citizenship for they're supposed to be politically neutral and uninvolved all the way.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Gurkhas are all recruited by British in the name of the British Crown first. Singapore is just one of the countries trusted and permitted to have an allocation of Gurkhas of those passed out from their "BMT." All were trained as soldiers but could function as policemen too given some additional law enforcement trainings. They were sworn in as mercenaries, that's the most important aspect. It's already understood at the outset when they accepted the job and they'd never be given citizenship for they're supposed to be politically neutral and uninvolved all the way.

I once saw this Ang Moh guy wearing a SPF uniform holding the rank of a Senior Officer at Tekong.. My Captain told me that the Ang Moh was from the British elite SAS Regiment seconded to the Police Gurkha Contingent in Spore... I think these Gurkhas are one hell of a machine with the tough training that they had to went thru..

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I once saw this Ang Moh guy wearing a SPF uniform holding the rank of a Senior Officer at Tekong.. My Captain told me that the Ang Moh was from the British elite SAS Regiment seconded to the Police Gurkha Contingent in Spore... I think these Gurkhas are one hell of a machine with the tough training that they had to went thru..

You must be referring to Bruce Niven. He was seconded to SPF after the disbanding of the Gurkha army contingent in Singapore. He was the one who set the Mount Vernon Gurkha police contingent. His brother was an actor of quite some fame, David Niven.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You must be referring to Bruce Niven. He was seconded to SPF after the disbanding of the Gurkha army contingent in Singapore. He was the one who set the Mount Vernon Gurkha police contingent. His brother was an actor of quite some fame, David Niven.

Bruce seepay fit chap. Office very spartan. No aircon. Led by example. I think he retired as AC.

Annoyed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most certainly. Then again, after staying in a place for 20 years, they (and their wives and children) form some attachments too - it's only natural. We know what's supposed to be, but I guess them tough Gurkhas have their human side as well.

Now, that was my inner softie struggling to get out. :smile:

They were sworn in as mercenaries, that's the most important aspect. It's already understood at the outset when they accepted the job and they'd never be given citizenship for they're supposed to be politically neutral and uninvolved all the way.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, you sure come out with the most stories. The GC was founded in 1949 and never part of the army and always part of the Police. They were formed to replace the Sikh Police contingent who were the original riot squad. It always had a British CO and Bruce Niven was not the first, second, third .... CO. The actor David Niven was not his brother, sister, husband, mother or related to him. Bruce Niven was recruited by GKS. He was chosen because he was previously stationed in Johore with the British army Gurkhas in the 1960s, was with the SAS and previously did some training for GC. He was the highest paid civil servant at that time. He retired and helped with the Everest expedition and then got bored and came back again. He is a bachelor and spend his time in Nepal or Singapore.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The annual recruitment is done at the British army depot but the selection and recruitments is done by Singapore GC personnel and not the British. They are flown to Singapore for Training. They are first trained as policemen for GC duties. They then undergo paramilitary training and finally full army training. They train in Tekong, Brunei and Pulada under an interesting arrangement. The Police Training is for riot and civil disturbance training. The army training is to take on renegade army units. They also have blue armoured military vehicles. The reason that they are not allowed to stay is to avoid the same issue thatbthey had with Sikh Police Contigent. They no longer can be relied upon to shoot fellow citizens and therefore become ineffective. However some are allowed to become Singapore citizens. Their kids have gone on to become Police regulars, teachers etc.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bro, you sure come out with the most stories. The GC was founded in 1949 and never part of the army and always part of the Police. They were formed to replace the Sikh Police contingent who were the original riot squad. It always had a British CO and Bruce Niven was not the first, second, third .... CO. The actor David Niven was not his brother, sister, husband, mother or related to him. Bruce Niven was recruited by GKS. He was chosen because he was previously stationed in Johore with the British army Gurkhas in the 1960s, was with the SAS and previously did some training for GC. He was the highest paid civil servant at that time. He retired and helped with the Everest expedition and then got bored and came back again. He is a bachelor and spend his time in Nepal or Singapore.

I think that comparing the two narratives, Ramseth made more sense, at least to me. He specifically stated that Bruce Niven was to setup the Mt. Vernon contingent. He also specifically stated the Gurkha army contingent was disbanded. There couldn't be any Gurkha army contingent under sovereign Singapore except under British colonial years. That's your point, isn't it? As for relationship, most of us in police during those years were told Bruce Niven was brother of David Niven. I didn't care how true it was since it was none of my business, just a routine of senior officers' organisational chart introduction. But it sounded and looked true, since they bore brotherly resemblance and same surname.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The kids suffer the most. They mix with Singapore kids at Mt Vernon Secondary school and then find themselves dislocated when their father retires and returns. The kids for all intents and purposes are culturally Singaporeans.
Most certainly. Then again, after staying in a place for 20 years, they (and their wives and children) form some attachments too - it's only natural. We know what's supposed to be, but I guess them tough Gurkhas have their human side as well.Now, that was my inner softie struggling to get out. :smile:

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nation
Invisible force
Singapore Gurkhas give the best years of their life to the Lion City, but could do with a better deal once they retire

Shortly after Singapore left the Federation of Malaysia in 1965, Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew was temporarily moved out of his home at Oxley Road while security was beefed up. When Lee returned. he found Gurkha policemen posted as sentries. At that time, the Gurkhas were mainly used to quell riots and protests that were rampant during the '50s and '60s. Now, the safety of the prime minister was their responsibility as well.

The Gurkhas still guard 38 Oxley Road today. Forty-five years after our nation's independence, these soldiers from Nepal continue to protect Singapore's most important places and installations. Precious little is known about the Gurkhas except their reputation of unwavering loyalty and bravery. Yet the 60th anniversary of the Gurkha Contingent (GC) slipped by quietly last year.

Presently, the British conduct recruitment of Gurkhas yearly. Some 15,000 youths from all over Nepal vie for about 400 slots, around 100 of which are for the Singapore Police Force. The strength of the GC has been growing consistently over the years, from 760 in 1990 to over 2000 today.

Naturally, the Gurkhas are proud of their unique service to Singapore. "Without the GC, there is no peace and security in Singapore," retired Station Inspector Buddhi Gurung says. Underlying that pride is also a mountain of goodwill and genuine affection for a country they called home for almost thirty years.

But recently, rumblings of unhappiness have begun to surface among those who have retired and returned to Nepal, as Singapore law requires them to do. The biggest issue surrounding the retired Gurkhas is that of the pension paid out upon retirement. "Since the time I retired 10 years ago, prices of basic items like rice and gas have tripled in Nepal," says Netra Gurung, vice-chairman of the Singapore Gurkhas Pensioners' Association (SGPA). The association has scored a couple of small victories, with occasional pension reviews, but Gurung adds that the Gurkhas hope for an inflation allowance instead of arbitrary reviews.

The families of the Gurkhas remain another contentious issue. Widows of deceased servicemen do not get any part of their husbands' pensions and though the widows of Singaporeans on pension are subject to the same policy, the SGPA contends that the situation is not the same. The wives of Gurkhas are not allowed to seek employment during their time in Singapore and so have no skills other than being a housewife.

And while their children attend local schools in Singapore when their fathers are still in service, they are only allowed to finish their education within the institute they are enrolled in upon their fathers' retirement. They face great difficulty obtaining student visas once their fathers have retired. This is all the more perplexing as foreign students, even those from Nepal, usually have no problems obtaining student visas as long as they qualify for schools here. The Gurkha children seem paradoxically handicapped by their fathers' service to Singapore. Haridhoj Gurung, who was recently appointed chairman of the SGPA, says: "There is only one way to describe this situation – discrimination."

Official statistics show that slightly more than one out of three people living in Singapore are not citizens, but permanent residents and expatriates. Ministers go out of their way to explain the need for tolerance towards newcomers, stressing that we need them to boost the population because of falling birth rates, and to provide the skills the country needs.

Yet after spending more than half their lives protecting the island state's most important people and places, the Gurkhas and their families find themselves unwelcome the moment they hang up their blue uniforms.

Most Gurkhas do not seek citizenship or even permanent residence for themselves. After all, they arrive on our shores as foreign young men. What the Gurkhas do want are the same working opportunities extended to other foreigners and for their children not to be discriminated because of their fathers' service.

Such requests, made to the Singapore government through letters from the SGPA, continue to be ignored. The authorities are under no pressure to act anytime soon and Singaporeans are unaware of this situation. This is unlike the United Kingdom, where a very public lobbying effort led by actress Joanna Lumley pressured the British government into according full residential rights in 2009 to Gurkhas who serve more than four years. Kharga Gurung, an executive member of the SGPA, says: "The UK Gurkhas had support from the UK people and even the MPs. Maybe if the people of Singapore support us, we will have success too."

One Gurkha, who spent the '60s here fighting communists when the Malayan Communist Party was at the peak of its power, says: "I love Singapore. If anything bad happens, I am ready to fight. I am ready to go back and die for Singapore." What does it say when we repay such devotion by saying no to their requests to remain among us?

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think that comparing the two narratives, Ramseth made more sense, at least to me. He specifically stated that Bruce Niven was to setup the Mt. Vernon contingent. He also specifically stated the Gurkha army contingent was disbanded. There couldn't be any Gurkha army contingent under sovereign Singapore except under British colonial years. That's your point, isn't it? As for relationship, most of us in police during those years were told Bruce Niven was brother of David Niven. I didn't care how true it was since it was none of my business, just a routine of senior officers' organisational chart introduction. But it sounded and looked true, since they bore brotherly resemblance and same surname.

all you need to do these days is do a little research on the web and you'll find the info. wiki david niven and you'll come up with 3 siblings, margaret, henry and grizel. no goose, no juice, no bruce in his family.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
all you need to do these days is do a little research on the web and you'll find the info. wiki david niven and you'll come up with 3 siblings, margaret, henry and grizel. no goose, no juice, no bruce in his family.

So OK, no big deal to me as I've said, their relations are none of my businesses. Ram must be also one of those mislead by PA fairytales in those years. :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now you know why people think that you are Ramseth.

I will make it simple for you.

1. Mt Vernon cantonments and the Gurkha Contingent was there long before Bruce Niven came. Niven joined in 1983.

2. He did not convert anything and no one needed converting. For 30 years before Niven's arrival, they were in the Singapore Police service. There were other British Commanders before Niven and they too did not need to convert anyone from army as they were recruited as teenagers into the Singapore Police service.

3. The Gurkha contingent was formed in 1949 by the Singapore Colonial Govt only for Singapore to quell racial riots. It was always part of the Singapore Police Service and was never part of any army. It replaced the Sikh Police Contingent of Singapore.

4. Once again David Niven and Bruce Niven are not related. Dick Lee and Lee Hsien Long are not related but Dick Lee's father is a the second cousin of Goh Keng Swee.

You stay in this forum long enough and Ramseth will tell you about the Singapore Aircraft Carrier parked at Macritchie Reservoir whose Commander is related to the founder of Carrier Aircon Company.

Last edited: