• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Office politics

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
You can choose to stay out of it, take the moral high ground whenever possible. Its impossible to stay out of it completely. Some people were taught that the business world is war and all are fair game. Allies are temporal and enemies equally so.

"Mei you yong yuen de di ren/peng you, zhi you yong yuen de li yi"
There are no permanent friends/foes, only common shared interests

The definition of colleagues is but a band of people working together for a common goal or entity.

There are however genuinely good people around who don't like politics and try to stay away. Unfortunately, these people however are usually misunderstood as people tend to be too cynical of good people these days.

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Office politics, no worries as long as you are the in-charge around the place. Everyone will be "good" to you!

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go to work, smile and be friendly, act blur, don't show off, be nice and maintain low profile. Stay under the radar long enough and the boss will come to believe you are the next person to promote; for not causing trouble.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
There is also no need to bring people down to go higher although you get there slightly faster, the market is small, people remember you.

A personal story of my colleague:

We had a FT colleague(Indonesian) who was nice at first, the minute he became our manager, restricted us on timing, need to be punctual, etc. Always politicking and always on his guard, quick to claim credit and likes to put down others.

This is the same guy who always comes in at 10am seldom before 9am, leaves early and works at home sometimes. Now suddenly he is always punctual everything cannot and he cites management everytime he wants someone to work on a public holiday. People still treat him nice and my friend still treated him as a friend as this guy kept using the fact that both of them are "Christians" to bind my friend to him.

Always saying one thing and then doing another, expecting my friend to keep his end of the bargain but never kept his.

Turned out so bad that his most loyal colleague, my friend went to HR, in the end this guy requested for a transfer. Unbeknownst to him, my friend got so disappointed with this guy, he asked for a transfer as well. My friend never meant to get him into trouble, just wanted to defend himself, he told me all this at a pantry last week.

Even then, shockingly, he told me he actually had a chance to become the manager as management asked him but he passed it on to the Indon FT as he felt the FT work harder and besides this FT told him he will keep the culture in SG intact. My friend trusted him but in the end felt very betrayed. After the FT confirmed the transfer, one of the guys, another FT also who always curry favour with him suddenly said to their top boss, this guy must also do weekend, etc. Man this world is so realistic. The poor FT didn't know he got betrayed and continued to tell the other FT things which is shared to all.

The world is round i would say, both my friend and this FT got transferred out and to the SAME DEPARTMENT!! My friend became this FT's boss and even though he didn't take revenge on the FT (which is surprising to me), the FT is still uncooperative and still tries to play politics.

My friend told me because he considered this FT had many kids and is a Christian so he never meant to get him into trouble. He also said he got disillusioned with his religion because of people like that who misused HIS name to get ahead. I felt sad but such is life, i am just glad i wasn't in their deparment.

captainxerox

Alfrescian
Loyal
play it! sarkar the boss, buy him lunch, say his ideas very good...but if he don't promote you or offer you the shanghai posting, tell his wife about his mistress!

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
wuqi256, your story very confusing with this friend, my friend and somemore two FTs. I am confused as to how the players react to one another.

Why dun you edit by putting in A, B, C and D? much easier to understand lah.

Anyway, your friend is a dumbass for passing on promotion to another person and then expecting gratitude from the other person. What does your friend want? less work more pay as a reward. At the end of the day, work is work and people should try to keep friendship and work relationships apart.

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
To down someone in order to climb is the easy way but not the best way. It is better to win by merits instead but sadly many people choose the former.

Sometimes I wonder..how far can a person actually go if he were to constantly 'stab' others in order to climb higher? NOt very far I guess as his integrity would be questioned and he would have a lot of enemy in the office...remember, every dog will have his day.

Suddenly im very tired of all this office politics.

izzit a muz to down some1 so u can climb higher?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OZlhDonTJM

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Go to work, smile and be friendly, act blur, don't show off, be nice and maintain low profile. Stay under the radar long enough and the boss will come to believe you are the next person to promote; for not causing trouble.

Good suggestion, this is the safest but promotion is not guaranteed.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Sorry for the confusion, a clearer picture:

Main players are the FTs Mr I, Mr K and my friend, Mr M who is a local

A personal story of my colleague:

We had a FT colleague, Mr I who was nice at first, the minute he became our manager, restricted us on timing, need to be punctual, etc. Always politicking and always on his guard, quick to claim credit and likes to put down others.

This is the same guy who always comes in at 10am seldom before 9am, leaves early and works at home sometimes. Now suddenly he is always punctual everything cannot and he cites management everytime he wants someone to work on a public holiday. People still treat him nice and my friend, Mr M still treated him as a friend as Mr I kept using the fact that both of them are "Christians" to bind Mr M to him.

Always saying one thing and then doing another, expecting Mr M to keep his end of the bargain but never kept his.

Turned out so bad that his most loyal colleague, Mr M eventually went to HR, in the end Mr I requested for a transfer. Unbeknownst to him, Mr M got so disappointed with Mr I that he asked for a transfer as well. Mr M never meant to get him into trouble, just wanted to defend himself, he told me all this at a pantry last week.

Even then, shockingly, Mr M told me he actually had a chance to become the manager as management asked him but he passed it on to the Indon FT Mr I as he felt the FT work harder and besides this FT told him he will keep the culture in SG intact. Mr M trusted him but in the end felt very betrayed.

After Mr I got transferred, one of the guys, another FT, Mr K also who always curry favour with Mr I suddenly said to their top boss, this guy(Mr I) must also do weekend duty, etc and said a lot of bad stuff about him. Man this world is so realistic. The poor Mr I didn't know he got betrayed and continued to tell the other Mr K things which is shared to all.

The world is round i would say, both my friend(Mr M) and this Mr I got transferred out and to the SAME DEPARTMENT!! Mr M became this FT's boss and even though he didn't take revenge on Mr I (which is surprising to me), Mr I is still uncooperative and still tries to play politics.

Mr M told me because he considered this Mr I had many kids and is a Christian so he never meant to get him into trouble. He also said he got disillusioned with his religion because of people like that who misused HIS name to get ahead. I felt sad but such is life, i am just glad i wasn't in their deparment.

Mr M is a kind soul but i agree with some of the remarks here that he shouldn't have let their friendship and fellowship with Christ to be too kind to Mr I. I guess his friendship is one sided from day one.

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good suggestion, this is the safest but promotion is not guaranteed.

You are right, promotion not guaranteed. Depends on type of bosses also. However in glorious SG, tactical snake intake can have very positive results sometime, like eating vitamins.

I think the bible to refer to is Dilbert.

1sickpuppy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have not played office politics in all my 30+yrs of working life thou there were times I was dragged into it and I have to fight tooth and nail to get out. I can tell you its harder to get things done at times because I was not in their inner circle but sometimes things can be so enjoyable as I am not in any groups everybody just treat me as a person not as an enermy because I belong to another group. At the end of the day I can look up and tell people straigh in their face that they fuckup because they fuckup not because I stab them in their back.