• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

of pawning and borrowing...

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
It's like Singapore Pools 4-D and toto - a legal means for people to buy hopes and try their luck, rather than underground chap ji kee. Singapore Pools in turn donate their earnings to charity and other social and community projects. This way more organised.

ah yes... how can we forget about collecting tax in a more organised manner?

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
this begs two questions
1: where no interest is charged, do money lending between friends and/or relatives constitute as an offence?
2: if interest is charged, do money lending between friends and/or relatives constitute as an offence?

Me no expert on this, but logically if no interest is charged, why should the borrowers want to report you for helping them? (Akin to people getting budget goodies after goodies but they eventually voted for the opposition - hehehe sorry couldn't resist thinking of this analogy) They may seek you out in future if the need arises again. I do lend money willingly to colleagues without interest to tide over financial needs. They repaid me and thanked me; they become better colleagues, and friends.

If lending to relatives and friends with interest then technically it's illegal, I think - especially if it's at an "exorbitant rate". But the authorities will close an eye or persecute on a case by case basis (eg "taken into consideration" with another crime) - like the authorities will leave you alone if you are gambling with relatives and friends during Chinese New Year house visit or at a funeral wake.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hey Brother Scroobal, you seemed to know much about pawnshops. I notice that they usually advertise their gold price in front of their shop - often at a lower price than published rate.

Do you know whether we go in and buy those pawned items off the shelf?
Those 2nd hand gold items if you dun mind it being preowned you can buy.
There are no fakes if that's what your are worried about but you need to have some knowledge as what you see is what you get.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Me no expert on this, but logically if no interest is charged, why should the borrowers want to report you for helping them? (Akin to people getting budget goodies after goodies but they eventually voted for the opposition - hehehe sorry couldn't resist thinking of this analogy) They may seek you out in future if the need arises again. I do lend money willingly to colleagues without interest to tide over financial needs. They repaid me and thanked me; they become better colleagues, and friends.

yah, your first analogy is most apt. totally agree with you. they start by giving money first then taking it back. how nice.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agree... A colleague decided to sell off his 1K Mountain bike at Cash Converter.. He was horrified when the staff there only willing to pay him $100 for his bike..:eek: In the end he decided not to sell it there but instead to another bicycle enthusiast on the Internet for $500... By the way, pawnshops are a good place to buy 2nd hand Gold... Price is slightly cheaper than the normal jewellery shops...

In Canada you will find a weekly newspaper like format called the "Bargain Finder". You will find it sold in various cities with ads for that area.

The paper costs only about $2
Its free to post an ad

Only have to pay if you want to post a picture of what you want to sell e.g. house, car. You will sometimes find ads for Rolls Royce:eek:
Commercial advertisers also are charged a fee.

I bought & sold my car using this method :biggrin: