• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Obama election spurs race crimes around country

obama.bin.laden

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081116/ap_on_re_us/obama_racial;_ylt=AkfrPTT3dNfEwL8GTDMzSbas0NUE

Obama election spurs race crimes around country

By JESSE WASHINGTON, AP National Writer Jesse Washington, Ap National Writer – Sun Nov 16, 6:19 am ET

Cross burnings. Schoolchildren chanting "Assassinate Obama." Black figures hung from nooses. Racial epithets scrawled on homes and cars.

Incidents around the country referring to President-elect Barack Obama are dampening the postelection glow of racial progress and harmony, highlighting the stubborn racism that remains in America.

From California to Maine, police have documented a range of alleged crimes, from vandalism and vague threats to at least one physical attack. Insults and taunts have been delivered by adults, college students and second-graders.

There have been "hundreds" of incidents since the election, many more than usual, said Mark Potok, director of the Intelligence Project at the Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate crimes.

One was in Snellville, Ga., where Denene Millner said a boy on the school bus told her 9-year-old daughter the day after the election: "I hope Obama gets assassinated." That night, someone trashed her sister-in-law's front lawn, mangled the Obama lawn signs, and left two pizza boxes filled with human feces outside the front door, Millner said.

She described her emotions as a combination of anger and fear.

"I can't say that every white person in Snellville is evil and anti-Obama and willing to desecrate my property because one or two idiots did it," said Millner, who is black. "But it definitely makes you look a little different at the people who you live with, and makes you wonder what they're capable of and what they're really thinking."

Potok, who is white, said he believes there is "a large subset of white people in this country who feel that they are losing everything they know, that the country their forefathers built has somehow been stolen from them."

Grant Griffin, a 46-year-old white Georgia native, expressed similar sentiments: "I believe our nation is ruined and has been for several decades and the election of Obama is merely the culmination of the change.

"If you had real change it would involve all the members of (Obama's) church being deported," he said.

Change in whatever form does not come easy, and a black president is "the most profound change in the field of race this country has experienced since the Civil War," said William Ferris, senior associate director of the Center for the Study of the American South at the University of North Carolina. "It's shaking the foundations on which the country has existed for centuries."

"Someone once said racism is like cancer," Ferris said. "It's never totally wiped out, it's in remission."

If so, America's remission lasted until the morning of Nov. 5.

The day after the vote hailed as a sign of a nation changed, black high school student Barbara Tyler of Marietta, Ga., said she heard hateful Obama comments from white students, and that teachers cut off discussion about Obama's victory.

Tyler spoke at a press conference by the Georgia chapter of the NAACP calling for a town hall meeting to address complaints from across the state about hostility and resentment. Another student, from a Covington middle school, said he was suspended for wearing an Obama shirt to school Nov. 5 after the principal told students not to wear political paraphernalia.

The student's mother, Eshe Riviears, said the principal told her: "Whether you like it or not, we're in the South, and there are a lot of people who are not happy with this decision."

Other incidents include:

_Four North Carolina State University students admitted writing anti-Obama comments in a tunnel designated for free speech expression, including one that said: "Let's shoot that (N-word) in the head." Obama has received more threats than any other president-elect, authorities say.

_At Standish, Maine, a sign inside the Oak Hill General Store read: "Osama Obama Shotgun Pool." Customers could sign up to bet $1 on a date when Obama would be killed. "Stabbing, shooting, roadside bombs, they all count," the sign said. At the bottom of the marker board was written "Let's hope someone wins."

_Racist graffiti was found in places including New York's Long Island, where two dozen cars were spray-painted; Kilgore, Texas, where the local high school and skate park were defaced; and the Los Angeles area, where swastikas, racial slurs and "Go Back To Africa" were spray painted on sidewalks, houses and cars.

_Second- and third-grade students on a school bus in Rexburg, Idaho, chanted "assassinate Obama," a district official said.

_University of Alabama professor Marsha L. Houston said a poster of the Obama family was ripped off her office door. A replacement poster was defaced with a death threat and a racial slur. "It seems the election brought the racist rats out of the woodwork," Houston said.

_Black figures were hanged by nooses from trees on Mount Desert Island, Maine, the Bangor Daily News reported. The president of Baylor University in Waco, Texas said a rope found hanging from a campus tree was apparently an abandoned swing and not a noose.

_Crosses were burned in yards of Obama supporters in Hardwick, N.J., and Apolacan Township, Pa.

_A black teenager in New York City said he was attacked with a bat on election night by four white men who shouted 'Obama.'

_In the Pittsburgh suburb of Forest Hills, a black man said he found a note with a racial slur on his car windshield, saying "now that you voted for Obama, just watch out for your house."

Emotions are often raw after a hard-fought political campaign, but now those on the losing side have an easy target for their anger.

"The principle is very simple," said BJ Gallagher, a sociologist and co-author of the diversity book "A Peacock in the Land of Penguins." "If I can't hurt the person I'm angry at, then I'll vent my anger on a substitute, i.e., someone of the same race."

"We saw the same thing happen after the 9-11 attacks, as a wave of anti-Muslim violence swept the country. We saw it happen after the Rodney King verdict, when Los Angeles blacks erupted in rage at the injustice perpetrated by 'the white man.'"

"It's as stupid and ineffectual as kicking your dog when you've had a bad day at the office," Gallagher said. "But it happens a lot."

___

Associated Press writers Errin Haines, Jerry Harkavy, Jay Reeves, Johnny Clark and researcher Rhonda Shafner contributed to this report.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Barack Obama is not stupid. White conservatives in the south, and in pockets around the States are lashing out but there are many supporters and voters of Obama who know how to stand by their candidate.

The upside is that if Obama succeeds as President by the end of his term, and maybe his second term, white people in the South will understand that their fears about blacks are misplaced.

I mean you are talking about people who are very insular and has never had much need of a passport. Their holidays are usually within the country itself, or even within the region they live in itself, and they even view Canadians and Mexicans as suspects. So to lash out against a non-white shouldn't be unexpected.

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Americans are a bunch of bastards who commit crimes they tell others not to commit. The human rights abuses in America are as bad as those in India and China, North Korea, and even Congo. The fuckers are even more racists than they care to admit, and they just keep going on how racists the Chinese are. Time to see them kill themselves for once.

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
I never really like obama for I think he is one selfish bastard. it is self evident USA is a angmor country so why cannot he accept it and put his selfish ambition on hold or ship himself back to kenya.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Americans are a bunch of bastards who commit crimes they tell others not to commit. The human rights abuses in America are as bad as those in India and China, North Korea, and even Congo. The fuckers are even more racists than they care to admit, and they just keep going on how racists the Chinese are. Time to see them kill themselves for once.

Well, racism isn't confined to America only. Racism is well and present in Asia, Europe, Australia and even in Africa and South America. We all say that its finally true that more Americans have got over racism and voted for a black man.

And yet as we ourselves look in our own history- European, Asian, Australian et al- we ask whether the Barack Obamas in our own countries can rise up. In Singapore, its clear it won't happen as long as the Lees are in control.

In France, there's only a few legislators who are black, as with in the French Cabinet.

In Malaysia, they practice a discrimination-based affirmative action program that has pissed a lot of chinese and indian Malaysians. And a chinese will find it almost impossible to become PM of M'sia as well.

In any case, America is still the leader of the world- even as their reputation has been damaged in the last 8 years. And it wouldn't help anyone if the States tear itself up apart. Still it isn't on the scale of the civil war anyway. Things will die down a bit after a while- and while the crazy folks will keep on thinking, Obama's security will always be vigilant.

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
I view obama presidency as more alarming than Lee Hsien Yang ( yes LHL brother ) taking up USA citizenship and then winning the next USA election as the 45 president.

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
NS has really made you mad! Obama is born in the US, a christian, and wants the ordinary people to live decent lives. Why's that equal to a Lee winning the election in the US???

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
I view obama presidency as more alarming than Lee Hsien Yang ( yes LHL brother ) taking up USA citizenship and then winning the next USA election as the 45 president.

Well, sorry to burst your bubble, but one of the legal requirements is that a candidate must be born locally in the US or be born in an owned and controlled US army/naval/air-force base to be able to run for President.

And besides, it took so long for a black to win. An Asian will have to take even longer. It all depends on how Obama performs now.

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Obama is born in the US, a christian, and wants the ordinary people to live decent lives. Why's that equal to a Lee winning the election in the US???
Reply With Quote\
==================

kindergarden logic. you and your stupid obama lovers will be responsible for the first black hanging from a pole in the states.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Obama is born in the US, a christian, and wants the ordinary people to live decent lives. Why's that equal to a Lee winning the election in the US???
Reply With Quote\
==================

kindergarden logic. you and your stupid obama lovers will be responsible for the first black hanging from a pole in the states.

I suggest kindly that you keep such hateful implications to yourself, dude. Your racism is shocking.

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suggest kindly that you keep such hateful implications to yourself, dude. Your racism is shocking.
==============

you living in your own fairly tale world. Why dont you then tell me what is the title of the thread ? My third eyes already foresee this will happen BEFORE the election.

1sickpuppy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, racism isn't confined to America only. Racism is well and present in Asia, Europe, Australia and even in Africa and South America. We all say that its finally true that more Americans have got over racism and voted for a black man.

And yet as we ourselves look in our own history- European, Asian, Australian et al- we ask whether the Barack Obamas in our own countries can rise up. In Singapore, its clear it won't happen as long as the Lees are in control.

In France, there's only a few legislators who are black, as with in the French Cabinet.

In Malaysia, they practice a discrimination-based affirmative action program that has pissed a lot of chinese and indian Malaysians. And a chinese will find it almost impossible to become PM of M'sia as well.

In any case, America is still the leader of the world- even as their reputation has been damaged in the last 8 years. And it wouldn't help anyone if the States tear itself up apart. Still it isn't on the scale of the civil war anyway. Things will die down a bit after a while- and while the crazy folks will keep on thinking, Obama's security will always be vigilant.

Thats why I have time and again suggested to the UN that they promote interracial marrage so that in 3 generations down there is only 1 and only 1 race.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

obama.bin.laden

Alfrescian
Loyal
Obama's life faces lots of assassination risks

The assassination risk faced by Obama is actually much higher than most people thought.

He is such an enormous controversy not just limited to racial aspect only. His political stands and policies alone will get enough reasons for some very very realistic assassination plots. This is much higher than any US presidents in the past.

His policy to withdraw from Iraq alone, will cause some very powerful persons including those in the CIA NSA Pentagon & Defense Contractors sector with powerful resources and abilities highly motivated to shoot him. These include capable persons within the US military and oil company as well as lucrative contractors engaged by Bush's camp for oil and securities e.g. Black Waters consisting of ex-seals and special forces' members.

Obama also face assassins highly capable and resourceful, from hostile states of both allies and enemies of USA. E.g. Israel which is very very close to Bush and supporting Bush's wars. E.g. Moscow, e.g. Beijing, e.g. Arab states.

Obama's reversal of Bush's war policies may be popular among many, but it is highly controversial and extremely unacceptable to those hot heads who have high expectations and commitments in results of Bush's wars.

It is expected that lots of things will unfold during the initial stage of Obama taking office, sharp controversial matters will arise. Lots of shits will go wrong either due to Obama or Bush's faults, cracks will surface and shit will fly all over. There will be lots of pissed people including very powerful ones.

Even those foreign power which stand to benefit from Obama's policies will still stand to benefit even more by shooting Obama. Because the consequence of that will lead to e.g. racial chaos in USA, that could benefit e.g. Moscow. You just imagine Obama got shot by unknown assassin, the blacks blames the white and so on in the states, it will be bingo for many governments and powers & interest groups, from both friends and foes of USA.

KKC007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I never really like obama for I think he is one selfish bastard. it is self evident USA is a angmor country so why cannot he accept it and put his selfish ambition on hold or ship himself back to kenya.

Then you should have asked the angmor why they could not accept that USA was an Indian country, why they could not accept that and put their selfish ambitions on hold or ship themselves to Europe.

The same can be said of the non-Malays in Singapore, etc etc etc.

imperialarms

Alfrescian
Loyal

you are very correct as communism is coming to america. many people ahve been hoodwinked, like they were deceived bby hitler the great demagogue

shockshiok

Alfrescian
Loyal

Worse than China?

And if they are racists why are asians, latinos and half of the white people voting for a black man?

?????????

shockshiok

Alfrescian
Loyal

that is incorrect. the US is not an ang moh country at all.

and why should Obama, an american citizen born in Hawaii to an american ang moh mother and black father go back to Kenya?

??????

why dont you go back to China?

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmmm controversy never seems to stop conspiracy charges from being leveled. I don't think you're entirely wrong frankly, but some of the stuff you say are just a bit overblown.

I think most countries who are hostile to US will most likely won't turn very friendly during the Obama administration. But a bad world economy affects everyone now, and that's why even US enemies, with the exception of Al-Qaeda, wants the world economy to stabilise.

We might see different attitudes from the American adversaries once the economy stabilise and grow though. I mean compare & contrast Iran's attitude before and after the oil price rise and fall in relation to the US.