• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Nomadic family has stayed in four places in past three months

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,208453,00.html?

Nomadic family has stayed in four places in past three months
COUNSELLOR TO MUM: Let us help your kids
MUM REFUSES: They're better off with me
By Benson Ang

July 23, 2009

NP_IMAGES_BABROKE2.jpg

NOMADS: Madam Mary with the youngest of her four children. The family is living in a bedroom of a friend's flat for now. PICTURE: JONATHAN CHOO

LET OTHERS help you, says a counsellor.

But this needy mother says: 'I won't give my children to anybody.

'My children are better off with me because there is love.

'Nobody can take care of children better than their own parents.'

But can she?

Madam Mary, as she wants to be known, cannot provide her four school-going children with a home.

So they have been moving from place to place since last year.

They even spent two nights sleeping on Changi Beach and the mother, 36, admits that her children's schoolwork is suffering because of their nomadic lifestyle.

Madam Mary said her eldest son, 16, was a top student in primary school.

He scored 254 in his PSLE, the second highest in his school, and would have qualified for some of Singapore's top schools.

But his results now are only 'okay okay', she told The New Paper.

Can't concentrate

'He can't concentrate because we have nowhere to settle down. I also can't afford tuition for my children.'

Concerned that Madam Mary is unable to cope, a counsellor has suggested that it was in the children's best interests for the state to take care of them.

Once Madam Mary has sorted out her problems, she could get her children back.

Counsellor Sheena Jebal, who took charge of Madam Mary's case a month ago, said this was a case of homelessness.

She said: 'Madam Mary should hand her children over to the state while she empowers herself.

'Even though she is homeless due to circumstances, she must realise that her children need a conducive environment to grow up and study,' she said.

'If this situation is left unattended, it is a form of neglect on the part of the parent.'

Ms Sheena is the counselling psychologist at NuLife Care and Counselling Services and has more than 14 years of experience in the social service sector.

She said: 'It's not fair to hold onto the children if she cannot afford to take care of them.'

Madam Mary's two sons, aged 16 and 13 , and two daughters, aged 15 and 4, have stayed in at least four different places in the last three months.

After she sold her flat last year, they lived in a rental flat for about a year.

But when she could not afford the rent, they squatted in the living rooms of her friends, moving every few days.

They stayed in a tent on Changi Beach for two days last month. They bathed in public toilets and ate bread and cup noodles bought from convenience stores.

Madam Mary earns about $800 a month as a freelance domestic cleaner. (See report on facing page.)

She admitted that she has yet to pay the school fees for a daughter who is in secondary school.

Her daughter is stressed and 'afraid she can be kicked out at any time'.

The family now lives in the master bedroom of a Sembawang flat owned by one of Madam Mary's friends.

She pays $650 a month in rent, which she says she cannot afford.

Though Madam Mary is a Singaporean, she has no family here and is unwilling to ask relatives in Malaysia for help.

Since May, she has been separated from her husband, who is bankrupt and unemployed. He could not be contacted.

Ms Sheena said: 'Madam Mary appears to be creating a facade of security when there's no real security in her financial situation.'

Madam Mary, however, insists she is not neglecting her kids.

She said: 'I cook for them, wash their clothes, and even teach my youngest daughter the alphabet and numbers.'

When probed about her inability to provide shelter, she would only say: 'That's the struggle I'm facing now.

'When my husband's business was doing well, my children lived as princes and princesses. It's just that times are hard now.'

Ms Sheena said that while Madam Mary fears that she might lose her children, she should bear in mind that she can still visit them and take them back after resolving her issues.

'It is understandable that Madam Mary might feel she has not been able to live up to her duties as a parent,' she said.

'But if she does not place her kids in a safer environment, that's when she has failed.'

A spokesman for the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports said that a parent can be deemed to have neglected a child if the parent 'wilfully or unreasonably neglects to provide adequate food, clothing, medical aid, lodging, care or other necessities of life for the child or young person'.

Care and Protection Order

When parents are not motivated to work in the interests of the child or when the risk to the child is high, a Care and Protection Order is resorted to, to ensure the child's well-being and safety are taken care of.

The spokesman advised families who are having difficulty coping with the care and management of their children to approach the nearest Family Service Centre.

These centres are equipped to provide support and to link these families with the relevant resources.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Help for family

MADAM Mary's eldest child, a Singaporean, is on a financial assistance scheme provided by the Ministry of Education via his school. His school fees are subsidised.

The second child, a Malaysian, receives $40 in vouchers a month from the Tzu Chi foundation to use at the school canteen and bookshop.

The third child, also a Malaysian, does not have financial assistance.

The youngest child, a Singaporean, has her kindergarten fees waived and gets free transport.

Madam Mary requested financial assistance from the Central Singapore Community Development Council two months ago. But it was rejected because she earns a regular income and her husband gives her money.

Her situation has been referred to the New Hope Community Services and HDB's rental section department.

It has also been referred to the Ang Mo Kio Family Service Centre for consideration under the School Pocket Money Fund.

The centre called Madam Mary late last month and arranged an appointment with her. But she did not attend because she said she had work to do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trouble started when she sold her flat at a loss

MADAM Mary's problems started last year when she and her businessman husband sold their HDB flat.

They were trying to pay off his debts from his failed cargo delivery business.

Madam Mary blames her property agent for making a loss on the sale.

The four-room flat in Sin Ming Avenue, bought for $294,000 in 1999, was sold for $285,000 last year.

Madam Mary, who claims to have lost contact with the agent, said she can't get a bank loan to buy another home because she doesn't have a stable job.

Her husband gives her $750 a month to supplement her own $800 monthly income.

She said she cannot hold a full-time job as she has to take care of her youngest daughter.

Madam Mary studied till Secondary 4 and used to work as an airline customer service officer.

Two of her school-going children are Malaysian and must each pay school fees of about $200 a month. However, three of the kids are getting financial aid. (See report below.)

Madam Mary wants HDB to allow her to buy a subsidised three-room flat.

But this would be against HDB rules as her previous flat was bought at a subsidised rate.

Those who sell subsidised flats and want to buy a second subsidised flat from HDB must pay a resale levy to ensure a more equitable distribution of housing subsidies.

If Madam Mary wants to downgrade to a three-room flat, she has to pay a $40,000 levy in cash, which she says she cannot afford.

But she thinks that 'special arrangements' can be made for people like her.

And she still hopes that things will improve, saying: 'All my children think we will get better.'

Sometimes, she said, her children talk about their ambitions and their dreams of buying a condominium unit in the future.

'I promised them that I will find some way to send all of them to university.'

'If I can just find a shelter, I know that I will get back on my feet again, and my husband will come back to me.'

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
More stories about Sinkie losers. The Island seems to be flooded with them!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I get the impression that this lady is being dramatic - hoping to be declared an unsung hero of the year. There are many others who are facing financial hardship but have sought the help of relatives. She does not want to seek help from her relatives in Malaysia. Why?

Her $800 and her husband's $750 and she can't seem to get a 1 room rental.

More stories about Sinkie losers. The Island seems to be flooded with them!

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Help for family

MADAM Mary's eldest child, a Singaporean, is on a financial assistance scheme provided by the Ministry of Education via his school. His school fees are subsidised.

The second child, a Malaysian, receives $40 in vouchers a month from the Tzu Chi foundation to use at the school canteen and bookshop.

The third child, also a Malaysian, does not have financial assistance.

The youngest child, a Singaporean, has her kindergarten fees waived and gets free transport.

Madam Mary requested financial assistance from the Central Singapore Community Development Council two months ago. But it was rejected because she earns a regular income and her husband gives her money.

Her situation has been referred to the New Hope Community Services and HDB's rental section department.

It has also been referred to the Ang Mo Kio Family Service Centre for consideration under the School Pocket Money Fund.

The centre called Madam Mary late last month and arranged an appointment with her. But she did not attend because she said she had work to do.

Find this part kind of funny. Doesn't seem like government only helps FT like everyone else in here claims

Eldest child local - Government help

2nd child Malaysian - Private Charity Org help. No Government help

3rd child Malaysian - No Government help.

4th child local - Government help.

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Find this part kind of funny. Doesn't seem like government only helps FT like everyone else in here claims

Yup, you have somewhat managed to expose their bias.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

how come the eldest n youngest sinkie but the middle malaysians?? :confused:

Anyway, isn't it a national trait to donate large wads of cash to unfortunate foreigners? :biggrin:

Eurekas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Anyway, isn't it a national trait to donate large wads of cash to unfortunate foreigners? :biggrin:

I think she is a Singapore PR or Malaysian turn Singaporean Shitizen. She should move back to Malaysia if she don't earn enough living to bring up her children here. The cost of living is definitely lower there and she don't have to live like a nomad in Singapore.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,208453,00.html?

Madam Mary blames her property agent for making a loss on the sale.

The four-room flat in Sin Ming Avenue, bought for $294,000 in 1999, was sold for $285,000 last year.

She said she cannot hold a full-time job as she has to take care of her youngest daughter.

Madam Mary wants HDB to allow her to buy a subsidised three-room flat.

And she still hopes that things will improve, saying: 'All my children think we will get better.'

Sometimes, she said, her children talk about their ambitions and their dreams of buying a condominium unit in the future.
'I promised them that I will find some way to send all of them to university.'

'

summary of her story.. the line in red is the best..:cool:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

We only donate to FTs who kick the bucket and help us win bundles of cash by giving good 4D numbers. :p :p

Why refer to some Church linked evangelistic outfit? Is the gahmen secular or is it preferring some religion in disguise?

Seriously doesn't mean anything. The 2nd Child receive help from Tzu Chi foundation which at its core is a Buddhist Org

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
summary of her story.. the line in red is the best..:cool:

Why die die must buy 3 room flat?

Cannot rent 3 room flat at subsidize rates?

Why must separate the family for mcys to help?

Okay at least provide a babysitter so she can work fulltime?

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why die die must buy 3 room flat?

Cannot rent 3 room flat at subsidize rates?

Why must separate the family for mcys to help?

Okay at least provide a babysitter so she can work fulltime?

i cannot answer that lah..

but i like their dreams best.:biggrin:

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
i cannot answer that lah..

but i like their dreams best.:biggrin:

how to have those kinds of dreams if they can't get the basics right?

Why must discriminate the children because they are Malaysians?

How many Malaysians are contributing to Singapore's economy?

Whose running MYCS? Simple thing like being a human being also must teach you?

Last edited:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I think MYCS will reply "If we treat them well U accuse us to being too good to FTs. If we don't treat them well, U accuse us of being inhumane. How leh???"

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think MYCS will reply "If we treat them well U accuse us to being too good to FTs. If we don't treat them well, U accuse us of being inhumane. How leh???"

hey they are kids for God sake...

you want to see more people in this world illiterate or what?

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's a cry for help and attention most likely targeted at her husband. If she is as stubborn as had been described, she won't had allowed the interview.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal

maybe if she pray hard enough to your god, bread will drop from the sky:biggrin: