• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

No cows too sacred...

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Something about sacred cows that can't be slaughtered: there are just too many to list. I'll just share something I've overheard today during my kopi session and look at this cow in the room- class size. If common folks can see the benefits of smaller class size, why can't the bozos in the ministry can see it?

Preamble- a couple of TaiTais, waiting to pick there children up from school, were gathered around the table and sharing their nuggets of wisdom with one another.

One lamented her child had some learning difficulties and her child's class was about 30-ish. So the conversation went on a bit more about how disadvantaged her child was, yada yada yada... and one of them in the group commented that schools were merging- primary, secondary as well as JC, she went on to point out that why is it that why are schools merged but the class sizes weren't made smaller since there is a falling birth rate.

Young children being themselves will be rowdy and hard to control. Why don't the ministry mandate and cut the class size to 25? Drawing this trajectory to secondary level, why can't the class size be at 30 max?

As I eavesdrop on them, I can safely deduce that one of them might be an ex-teacher, perhaps giving tuition currently. That's food for thoughts.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who dont hv learning difficulty when English is not yr mother tongue or first language.

English is a rubbish language even their natives fibd hard to kearn.

Angmoh says garbage language.

jw5

Loyal
Speaking of sacred and scared cows, if the education ministry gets too much for the newbies to handle, just appoint this sacred and scared khaw as coordinating minister for kindergarden and university education. He will get 50 students into a class and manage to convince PM Loong in his most humbug yet calm manner that it is only good for the teachers and their pupils to have such a large audience. :rolleyes::biggrin:

spotter542

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Speaking of sacred and scared cows, if the education ministry gets too much for the newbies to handle, just appoint this sacred and scared khaw as coordinating minister for kindergarden and university education. He will get 50 students into a class and manage to convince PM Loong in his most humbug yet calm manner that it is only good for the teachers and their pupils to have such a large audience. :rolleyes::biggrin:

Cannot trust a jiu hoo kia for our education , their Inngrish jialat one

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the limited and dwindling sinkie gene pool is the root cause of increasing degenerative diseases in sg, including but not limited to autism and retardation. learning difficulties at any age is part and parcel of sinkies fucking each other in a very close environment for too long. the ft policy will change that. thanks to the pap.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Something about sacred cows that can't be slaughtered: there are just too many to list. I'll just share something I've overheard today during my kopi session and look at this cow in the room- class size. If common folks can see the benefits of smaller class size, why can't the bozos in the ministry can see it?

Preamble- a couple of TaiTais, waiting to pick there children up from school, were gathered around the table and sharing their nuggets of wisdom with one another.

One lamented her child had some learning difficulties and her child's class was about 30-ish. So the conversation went on a bit more about how disadvantaged her child was, yada yada yada... and one of them in the group commented that schools were merging- primary, secondary as well as JC, she went on to point out that why is it that why are schools merged but the class sizes weren't made smaller since there is a falling birth rate.

Young children being themselves will be rowdy and hard to control. Why don't the ministry mandate and cut the class size to 25? Drawing this trajectory to secondary level, why can't the class size be at 30 max?

As I eavesdrop on them, I can safely deduce that one of them might be an ex-teacher, perhaps giving tuition currently. That's food for thoughts.

They have learning disabilities?..strange?..many kids these days after birth goes into Childcare, from 18 months right? up to Child care & Primary & Secondary School Day care. They have a head start in learning & how do they have learning disability? unless the education system is wrong or the parents genes are bad...you have two bad genes, you don't get a good one.

I was one of the few privilege one that went to kindergarten during my days, when nobody sent theirs to. Attended a few years of vernacular school before enrolling in main stream school. Did we have a learning disability?

We have classrooms of 44 children in classes, some of those I went to school with are in the government, Ministers etc. We would definitely be hard to control right? Back then, we had corporal punishment & parents principle of "spare the rod & spoil the child.

The kids are rowdy...the parents are out at work, at 8am bring their kids to their in-laws or parents house, drop them off & at night 8pm come to parents house or...have dinner , take kids home. I observe this of people living near me. The working couples don't have time for the kids till Friday Night to Sunday. The whoever bring the kids to childcare or some have maids to bring the kids to childcare..first, they kids speaks a smattering or confused Mandarin & Engilsh, made worse by learning from the grandparents plus the maid, be it an Indon, Filipina or Mynamar...& very spoilt, rowdy, & ill-mannered...mind you, they attend child care!!

So, we have to blame? the egg or the chicken..

Last edited:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Singapore kids are getting out of control in everywhere. Yes we have a mixture of cultural pool which can be good and can be bad. Singaporean kids in pre school programme are all mixed up and there is no unified direction for these troubled kids. Many parents just dumped them in the pre school prison thinking that that is the best place to confine them - learning from the teachers there and letting the teachers control and teach them. Many become misfits and confused kids at home. No wonder we see all sorts of unique behavior when they reach their teens and become adults - all society misfits. tio boh???

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
They have learning disabilities?..strange?..many kids these days after birth goes into Childcare, from 18 months right? up to Child care & Primary & Secondary School Day care. They have a head start in learning & how do they have learning disability? unless the education system is wrong or the parents genes are bad...you have two bad genes, you don't get a good one.

I was one of the few privilege one that went to kindergarten during my days, when nobody sent theirs to. Attended a few years of vernacular school before enrolling in main stream school. Did we have a learning disability?

We have classrooms of 44 children in classes, some of those I went to school with are in the government, Ministers etc. We would definitely be hard to control right? Back then, we had corporal punishment & parents principle of "spare the rod & spoil the child.

The kids are rowdy...the parents are out at work, at 8am bring their kids to their in-laws or parents house, drop them off & at night 8pm come to parents house or...have dinner , take kids home. I observe this of people living near me. The working couples don't have time for the kids till Friday Night to Sunday. The whoever bring the kids to childcare or some have maids to bring the kids to childcare..first, they kids speaks a smattering or confused Mandarin & Engilsh, made worse by learning from the grandparents plus the maid, be it an Indon, Filipina or Mynamar...& very spoilt, rowdy, & ill-mannered...mind you, they attend child care!!

So, we have to blame? the egg or the chicken..
neither good and proficient in any language or dialect
all rojak
the china kids seem to surpass them all
the indian kids seem to surpass them all
even the Myanmar and others surpass them all
you left with confused,troubled and loss Singapore kids...
if this goes on unchecked, we will not have anymore Singaporean kids

pakchewcheng

Alfrescian
Loyal
neither good and proficient in any language or dialect
all rojak
the china kids seem to surpass them all
the indian kids seem to surpass them all
even the Myanmar and others surpass them all
you left with confused,troubled and loss Singapore kids...
if this goes on unchecked, we will not have anymore Singaporean kids

Sinkies voted for MIWs.
Sins of fathers and mothers and uncles and aunties visited on heads of little sinkies.
they deserved it all
no more, no less

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sinkies voted for MIWs.
Sins of fathers and mothers and uncles and aunties visited on heads of little sinkies.
they deserved it all
no more, no less

the damage done is very deep
we will suffer for years to come
these little tyrants will become monsters
we all folks will just perish in utter misery

Maximuz

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was in a class of forty-one in Primary 1 -- I remember clearly cos my results were 40th, and wondered who was the idiot in last place. Then I thought about:

- The Nordic education system where the job is respected and pays better than the private sector. Also, in either Finland or Iceland, they have two teachers for each class of 15.

- NIE teachers I know (not a lot but a handful) either hate the job or are low-quality individuals to begin with. One opted to become a taxi driver instead and from what I understand, there's a lot of miscellaneous bullshit involved apart from purely teaching. Another former GM I knew who got retrenched from a Japanese firm (high-flying dude, fresh grad to GM in 7 years) joined the NIE as a trainee and left within 6 months. As a side note, I also knew an American public school teacher who hated the job, decided not to renew his contract, and remained jobless for years.

- The government spending. It's like a drunk man throwing money at wild fantasies in a diao huay diu, gets nothing, then goes home and tells his children to go fuck themselves and give him more money. With 69% of their hearts, the children say "Yes Papa!"

On the other scale of the problem however, Japan has like one teacher to 3 students in the rural and semi-urban parts of Japan :p

Anyway, I'm looking forward to 80% of "Yes Papa" in the next GE.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
the damage done is very deep
we will suffer for years to come
these little tyrants will become monsters

Where do these little brats learnt those nasty behaviors from? MOE had been pandering too much to the parents and treating them as clients.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
learning difficulties at any age is part and parcel of sinkies fucking each other in a very close environment for too long. the ft policy will change that. thanks to the pap.

So just bring in the foreign women, the Sammyboys can fuck the daylight out of them. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
Small class sizes are reserved for the elite. Common folk are expected to pay for tuition if their kids can't keep up.

Tuition industry is worth about a billion a year.

If gov spent a billion more a year on moe budget, our kids won't need tuition.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
If gov spent a billion more a year on moe budget, our kids won't need tuition.

The root cause of the problems in the education fraternity isn't the tuition industry. It's those high stake exams and the emphasis parents placed their premiums on.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The root cause of the problems in the education fraternity isn't the tuition industry. It's those high stake exams and the emphasis parents placed their premiums on.

It's high stakes because I want my kids to become BGs or perm secs. Otherwise, my investment in their tuition and entry into the top schools would be wasted.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
A kid's life sucks. Considering that kid subjected to a more open situation of drug influenced society, Peesai is an alright place to raise a kid and family. But opportunities are much more elsewhere. Society will tend toward rebellion from young adults. That is their way of telling how they feel. Why bother about school for the kids? There already is school available. So let the schools do what they gotta do.

A kid at school should be concerned with their kid stuff. Like how their school soccer team is doing. Let the whole school go watch the game when their school team plays. The entrenpreneur kid may start his own bookie circle at the them..

Cheers!

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal

What's the alternative? Eventually they must be sorted into uni or non-uni, so there will be at least one high stake exam even if all others are abolished.

The billion dollar tuition industry is a symptom of teachers not teaching well enough (for myriad reasons, of which class size is one, too many non-teaching duties etc) and not a root cause of the problem, so I agree on that.

And parents placing this emphasis... Why? Top paying jobs require top ranked pieces of paper. Of course one could always be an entrepreneur, but dozens, hundreds, fail for every success story.

Parentocracy is only going to entrench or widen the income gaps in society. As it is, modern day slums are forming in some HDB neighbourhoods and social mobility is drastically reduced for those born of these circumstances.

My point that if gov spent 1b more a year on education, and at 50k per year per teacher, they could hire another 20,000 odd teachers boosting moe headcount by almost two thirds. Teacher:student ratio can easily be improved.

But perhaps the problem is, we really can't find another 20,000 teachers in Singapore...?