• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Need to replace AC system in my home. Any suggestions?

CharKuayTeow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which brand is good?
Best in terms of reliability, but also the most expensive is Daikin. If you use VRV system, you can to save a little money. But, if the outdoor unit fails, no cooling, so that is why Daikin is recommended. If you go to a 1:1 mini-split to each room, running cost somewhat higher, but no single point of failure. In which case, any brand sort of OK, but try to find one that uses scroll compressors and inverters to control compressor speed. These are the quietest and most energy efficient.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since you are replacing it, better get the type that can also heat up your room as when the nukes fly and nuclear winter sets in, it will be a life saver.

nirvarq

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Mitsubishi & Daikin it's worth that few hundred extra you won't regret. Check with a few shops what the difference between the two brands which are the most common models & prices.

* I remember something like Mitsubishi is easier during service just take out the entire blower is easy to clean etc..

Last edited:

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Any system using R32… make sure your compressors’ capacity are one step above the standard offerings, most importantly consider if pipes need to be changed. The Bangla guy from GainCity did a super job for me in laying the pipes

duckrice

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any system using R32… make sure your compressors’ capacity are one step above the standard offerings, most importantly consider if pipes need to be changed. The Bangla guy from GainCity did a super job for me in laying the pipes
Seems like the consensus here is Mitsubishi Starmex over Daikin.

Why does R32 gas needs a more "powerful" condenser? Is yours the FN or FP series? I wonder what's the difference between the two Starmex systems? Which one is newer? What's the functional difference between the two systems?

What about those China brands or China made types like Midea or Haier? Reliability?

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
How often do you use it. Daily 12hoursplus everyday for 20years?

Used it only at night. The only problem is remote control hard to find when you need a new one, and the universal ones won't work.

Before that I used Carrier, when Carrier was very famous. KNN, within 5 years problem lai liao.

duckrice

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nowadays air-conditioning installation has to wait for a month. There aren't enough BCA approved installer workers around... Sigh...:cry:

Filloz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Midea is shit, servicing costs a lot more and many can't clean it properly because of the design. York is another shit when it comes to servicing.

Daikin is also shit if your compressor is a few meters away, easily to clog and leak from unit and PCU replacement is expensive. Daikin needs very regular servicing if u use AC every night.

Mitsubishi is acceptable, value for money, still shitty. Other people told me LG and Toshiba is good.

After trying out the bolded models in my life, I concluded that Panasonic is superb, expensive but long-lasting.

Majulah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Midea is shit, servicing costs a lot more and many can't clean it properly because of the design. York is another shit when it comes to servicing.

Daikin is also shit if your compressor is a few meters away, easily to clog and leak from unit and PCU replacement is expensive. Daikin needs very regular servicing if u use AC every night.

Mitsubishi is acceptable, value for money, still shitty. Other people told me LG and Toshiba is good.

After trying out the bolded models in my life, I concluded that Panasonic is superb, expensive but long-lasting.

panasonic = superb but not very expensive when compare to other 'famous' brands