• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Need advice: Company tel. bill

RK85

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any legal experts can advise?
I received lawer letter demanding payment for an outstanding company tel. account but I had already resigned as a director of the company.
The problem is I had used my name when applying for the tel. account at that time. I have spoken to my ex-partner (current owner of the company) but he seems like he's not going to pay.
Am I liable for the charges since I had already left the company & what can I do to solve this issue besides paying the amount; which I had no idea was owned by my ex-company in the first place?

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why don't you 2 sit down and talk nicely.
Since the bill can use to claim for company expenses so is company money.
If he not willing to pay. You pay for it and cancel the line. Then the company will be in trouble because customer cannot get thru the line. You can cut it because under your name not company name. Talk nicely not blackmail him.
If this happen both will be unhappy. You pay $ and the company contact gone.

RK85

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is registered under company name but the line has already been disconnected bcoz my ex-partner did not pay the bills for many months.

I think he is also having some payment problems bcoz some customers are also not paying him on time. I do not mind paying if it is a few hundred $ but it is more than that which I can't come out at the moment.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Assuming the company is a partnership firm (not a legal person),the responsibility of the owners (partners) are unlimited,and the creditors have the right to sue the individual partners in person.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Did u get any pay off for ur share in the company, if not, screw ur ex partner, the line is registered under his company, no need to pay liao

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Line under your name, then it is your responsibility. It should have been terminated the day you left the company or transferred to another person.

RK85

Alfrescian
Loyal
Line is registered under the company name since it is a business tel. line, not a private residential line. Only problem is I had only put my name in the application form & not my ex-partner name during application.

Line under your name, then it is your responsibility. It should have been terminated the day you left the company or transferred to another person.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
try explaining your predicament to the telco company,ask for grace period, then get money to pay the bill. Looks like you can't avoid as your name is on the registrar.

Line is registered under the company name since it is a business tel. line, not a private residential line. Only problem is I had only put my name in the application form & not my ex-partner name during application.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You used the term company line. If it's a company line, I've never heard of any individual personal liability to pay for it, whether still at the company or not. I guess most probably you're referring to a business line. If that line was used by you solely or mostly whilst you were partner of the business, it's understandable that your ex-partner expects you to pay. If it was shared use, perhaps you can negotiate with your ex-partner for a co-payment.

GoFlyKiteNow

Alfrescian
Loyal

Then what is the problem?

If you have sold the company officially ( with proper sale documents) , then all the liabilities and assets are taken over by the buyer. Even though your name appear on the application form, it is irrelevant. The phone belong to the company.

Unless, it is a partnership or sole proprietor company, and no explicit mention is made in the sale deed that the assets and liabilities are taken over by the buyer.

RK85

Alfrescian
Loyal
I seldom use the line as I was outdoors most of the time.

There are no sale documents; just that I resigned as one of the directors & the records updated online in ACRA.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Line under company name. So not your problem anymore. Just because your name are the application for company line. So just tell that you are not the owner of the company to Telco. Telco cannot do anything to your or sue your. Many people don't understand lawyer letter when they see letter scare liao.
Many company also same la like you. Even big company you don't expect MD go and sign the line right. Always the account/HR go and sign and application name is also the clerk but the account line under company. So you case is settle no need to worry. Ask Telco sue the company or if want to sue you ask them meet in court. Telco company have no case against you. Telco will not sue you in court because they know they going to lose.