• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

National Library's version of 'OWE MONEY PAY MONEY'?

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
National Library's version of 'OWE MONEY PAY MONEY'?

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/417856/1/.html

No borrowing for library users with outstanding fines
By TODAY | Posted: 26 March 2009 1138 hrs

SINGAPORE: Have you paid your library fines? If not, do so before next Wednesday, when the new rules kick in and anyone with unpaid fines and fees will not be able to borrow books or items until the charges have been paid.

However, the National Library Board (NLB) will make it easier for tardy library users to pay fines in future by placing desktop eKiosks next to the borrowing stations to make such payments easier.

The NLB will also consider waving such arrears — on a case-by-case basis — for those who are in genuine financial hardship. Those who would like to make an appeal should write in to the board, it said.

At the same time, NLB has introduced a free SMS and email alert service for those who need a reminder of when their books and other items are due.

The new polices also include scrapping the current 50-cent fee to renew borrowed items.

Renewals are no longer automatic and all borrowed items can only be renewed before or on the due date.
- TODAY/yb

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They new swanky buidling at Bras Basah Rd, needs to be paid...anyway, most of the library users these days are those out of work, neurotics ( bicycle chainers), children & housewives who in the morning, no where to bring their to play.

jw5

Loyal
I find it perfectly acceptable that those who owe fines should be made to pay up before they are allowed to borrow again.
In the first place, why do they need to be fined at all?
It's simply "chao kuan".

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nothing diff fr nt paying ur utilities, singtel, incum tax ... bills wat ...

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
I find it perfectly acceptable that those who owe fines should be made to pay up before they are allowed to borrow again.
In the first place, why do they need to be fined at all?
It's simply "chao kuan".

even its 5 cent in arrear, one cant borrow books liao. don't u think thats too 'geh gao' (calculative)?

Z

Zombie

even its 5 cent in arrear, one cant borrow books liao. don't u think thats too 'geh gao' (calculative)?

now renew each book no need 50cts,
imagine you can extend 4 books at one time and still keep your $2

should be happy lah..

tiulehloudau

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hey asshole, pay for them lah if you have big hole (tua kang)....... kaupeh si mi.......

Giving me infraction when I assed you brother royston46.........poor fellow.....asshole still sore by me is it........:oIo::oIo:

jw5

Loyal
Not at all.
Why should a person owe a few cents fine and still expect to be able to borrow books? Why can't he pay of the few cents fine?
Let's say a person owes some fines and has migrated. Ok, he may not have to pay the fine, but he wouldn't be able to borrow any more books. He wouldn't want to anyway.
But if he wants to continue borrowing books, why can't he pay off the fine, even if it's a few cents?

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually I agree with the other forumers (surprise surprise) here. There should be minimum fine accumulated before the ban is imposed. If the current treshhold of $6 is too high, it can always be reduced to, say, $1. But to have to queue up to pay $0.15 is simply ridiculous.

Not at all.
Why should a person owe a few cents fine and still expect to be able to borrow books? Why can't he pay of the few cents fine?
Let's say a person owes some fines and has migrated. Ok, he may not have to pay the fine, but he wouldn't be able to borrow any more books. He wouldn't want to anyway.
But if he wants to continue borrowing books, why can't he pay off the fine, even if it's a few cents?

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if all members oso owe 5 ¢, how? ...

if say gt 200,000 members, dat wud b 1,000,000 ¢ wor! ... lidat how 2 get 8 mths bonus? ...

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal

if say gt 200,000 members, dat wud b 1,000,000 ¢ wor! ... lidat how 2 get 8 mths bonus? ...

library job is to make money ah? i tot their job is to serve the taxpayer? but u are right in a way... if they don't li dat hor, how will they get 8 months bonus??

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal

To put it in perspective, that is only $10,000. No big deal at all. NLB probably lose more by cancelling renewal fee. I think they have a KPI called "Percentage of fees/fines collected" so they scrap the renewal fee and disallow borrowing until fines are paid.

Dogtracker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not at all.

Bro, are you aware that you cannot pay with cash? It must be transacted via Nets or EZ and other E payment gizmos!

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually I agree with the other forumers (surprise surprise) here. There should be minimum fine accumulated before the ban is imposed. If the current treshhold of $6 is too high, it can always be reduced to, say, $1. But to have to queue up to pay $0.15 is simply ridiculous.

NLB does impose a treshold in how much arresr one can owe and that is up to a max of $5 bucks and anything more you cant barrow anymore.

but with the new rules, it seems too many people had tried to play with the rules and NLB is also running short on funds.

Guess they just had to be strict but not too strict.

jw5

Loyal
It's ok to have a limit or threshold, but you can bet that there will be many always keeping just below the threshold, as if it was some form of rolling credit or interest free overdraft or something like that. Humans are crappy.
I still don't see why people can't pay off their fines, even if its 10 cents.
There are automated machines in every library, even the neighbourhood ones and there is hardly any queue even on weekends.

jw5

Loyal
Bro, are you aware that you cannot pay with cash? It must be transacted via Nets or EZ and other E payment gizmos!
Almost everyone has either a ez link card (for taking public transport) or a cashcard (for erp).
I don't see the problem.