• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

My First Visit to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
I visited the hospital a few days ago during the night at around 10pm. The hospital is clean as it is new. I went to the A&E as my girlfriend was registering herself to see a doctor. We were told that the waiting time to see a doctor would be about 1 hour.

We ended up waiting for 3 hours instead and looking at the situation, we should consider ourselves lucky. I subtly asked one of the foreign nurse if there is only 1 doctor stationed in the A&E as only one of the doctor rooms is calling for the numbers and it is the same doctor that had been going around talking to patients who are waiting outside. Of course, that is the same doctor that my girlfriend saw.

The nurse tried to evade the question by explaining that there are other doctors around but they are attending to other patients in 'other places'.

I noticed there are at least 30 patients in A&E at that point of time and only 1 doctor seeing them?

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
The last time I went to A&E, they told me 1 hour also, then got 1 guy came in bloodied on the arm, no need wait 1 hour, got immediate attention. In the end, I waited 45 minutes probably because I got clinic doctor's letter to refer me immediately to A&E.

Need to see the timing you went and also whether patient's condition needs immediate attention.

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
I saw one whose head was bandaged and stained with blood. He waited for more than one hour. Maybe because he is a foreign worker.

The last time I went to A&E, they told me 1 hour also, then got 1 guy came in bloodied on the arm, no need wait 1 hour, got immediate attention. In the end, I waited 45 minutes probably because I got clinic doctor's letter to refer me immediately to A&E.

Need to see the timing you went and also whether patient's condition needs immediate attention.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
I visited the hospital a few days ago during the night at around 10pm. The hospital is clean as it is new. I went to the A&E as my girlfriend was registering herself to see a doctor. We were told that the waiting time to see a doctor would be about 1 hour.

We ended up waiting for 3 hours instead and looking at the situation, we should consider ourselves lucky.

the costs for A&E consultation is quite high and waiting time is normally quite long unless it is classified as emergency case
better to go to those late nite/24hrs GP clinics.

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's the whole. A&E is for emergencies only.

If you are not emergency, go see a private GP. The govt's policy is to discourage people from going A&E for every minor thing.

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal

We ended up waiting for 3 hours instead and looking at the situation, we should consider ourselves lucky. I subtly asked one of the foreign nurse if there is only 1 doctor stationed in the A&E as only one of the doctor rooms is calling for the numbers and it is the same doctor that had been going around talking to patients who are waiting outside. Of course, that is the same doctor that my girlfriend saw.

The nurse tried to evade the question by explaining that there are other doctors around but they are attending to other patients in 'other places'.

I noticed there are at least 30 patients in A&E at that point of time and only 1 doctor seeing them?
Last month,when my wife had an emergency,she instructed me not to go government hospitals,so we went to a private one

I guess she knows better.
I think the probelm is our 40% population explosion but managed by highly paid PAP ministers who are supposed to have "helicopter vision" to justify their pay.

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's the whole. A&E is for emergencies only.

If you are not emergency, go see a private GP. The govt's policy is to discourage people from going A&E for every minor thing.

Well, just like banks offering easy pre-approved loans to those who don't need the money. To the needy? Take a number and expect to be rejected.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
I saw one whose head was bandaged and stained with blood. He waited for more than one hour. Maybe because he is a foreign worker.

The one you saw had bandaged, so the bleeding should have stopped. The one I saw is blood still flowing non stop.

If that foreign worker faint there, maybe they will pull him in. That will be the fastest solution. :o

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the costs for A&E consultation is quite high and waiting time is normally quite long unless it is classified as emergency case

A&E is emergency, everyone at A&E is emergency, the urgency is, who is dying faster first....that gets serve first!

Then again, yours a lesser emergency, waiting till all the worst than you gets serve first, by waiting for 1 hr or more..yours will soon become a dying case... get it!:biggrin:

The answer is MONEY...you have, go to a private hospital A&E...the difference is money...chances are you get served ASAP all you need is MONEY!!:p

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal

the nurse dare not put it that other doctors are attending to other patients in 'other hospitals' :o

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
objectively, it is the same situation in all public hospitals A&E...at 3 am in the morning if you have a stomachache...u rush to A&E to find 100 others are there...

and the doctors who are stationed or rostered for duties are those housemen...who have no choice but to serve becos of bond....morale low.. with stretched resources...they could only serve those in dire needs first - eg: heart attack, stroke, etc.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
that's A&E.

normal case lowest priority.

A&E

Accident & Emergency

If yours is an Accident but not emergency, you have to wait.
If yours is an Accident and Emergency, then you get priority.

Most people who go A&E will always think theirs is Emergency.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Walking into any hospital A&E is either a silly or inconsiderate thing to do. All who walks in will be classified non-emergency since the patients can walk in. A&E doctors will attend to ambulance cases first without queue numbers. Call an ambulance if you think you're so seriously ill requiring emergency attention. The screening is done by the ambulance officer who can refuse to send you if she thinks that your condition is not that serious to warrant emergency attention.

The trouble is people are treating A&E like 24-hour outpatient clinic and MC centre.

dysentry

Alfrescian
Loyal
reminds me of the auntie who went to NUH A&E for eye infection and got some dental paste instead.

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why nobody ask MOH why their forecast for need for doctors wrong? Why NUS rejecting so many people want to study medicine so many years and MOE/MOH never increase the intake?

WHY NOBODY TELL MOE/MOH WE INCREASE POPULATION VERY FAST SO WE NEED MORE DOCTORS? LEFT HAND DON'T KNOW WHAT RIGHT HAND IS DOING?

alvin36

Alfrescian
Loyal

actually Mt Alvenia's 24 hour outpatient is quite cheap. only about $40 when I brought my MIL there few weeks ago, and the waiting time is less than 30min from registration to see doctor. But of course, the hospitalisation is not cheap. I'm not sure about the rate for other hostpitals.

And I suspect, in pte hostpital, they will ask the patient to at least stay over night. Otherwise, what they earn ?? Anyone has similar experience in other pte hostpital ?

alvin36

Alfrescian
Loyal
why MOH takes more than 20 years to build a hostpital in the north ??

are we supposed to give credit to Khaw for building this hostpital ? or are we supposed to say that the previous minister to not doing the job ?? :rolleyes: