• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

My best friend is saddLed with $60k credit cards' debt; how shouLd i heLp..

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Have been thinking Long & hard through the day, after gathering aLL the feeedback from bros here.Here's perhaps my intiaL initiative; and see if he's agreeabLe to it :

SEEKING ASSISTANCE FROM CCS

There is this 3-step process to seek assistance from CCS:

STEP 1 – Compulsory Attendance of the Free Info Talk on Debt Management:
The consumer is requested to attend a compulsory free info talk that is being conducted on a weekly basis. This talk explains the various options in handling a debt problem and the common collection actions taken by the creditors. It will also explain the services offered by CCS so that the consumer can self-assess and decide what he wants to do next.

Consumers are requested to register for the free info talk online.

STEP 2 – Credit Counselling to Explore Solution:
If the consumer wished to seek further assistance after he has attended the free info talk, he needs to collect the Counselling Session Request Package at the end of the talk, complete and submit it with photocopy of the necessary documents to CCS.

After receipt of the submission, CCS will call the consumer to set up a one-to-one counselling session for him to discuss his situation in details with a credit counsellor.

To ensure a meaningful discussion and assessment during the counselling session, consumer must have attended the free Info Talk first. He must also submit all the relevant documents and be upfront about the assets, liabilities, income and other resources available.

To achieve a plausible solution, the consumer needs to be open-minded to explore the various options and be prepared to make lifestyle adjustment in resolving the debt problem.

STEP 3 – Set up a Debt Management Programme (DMP):
At the counselling session, the counsellor will assist the consumer to work out a monthly budget, explore options and identify the most appropriate solution for his debt problem at the moment.

If at the end of the counselling session, both the counsellee and his counsellor concurred that the Debt Management Programme (DMP) is the most suitable option, CCS will then work on it, subject to the DMP Review Committee’s approval, put it up for the creditors’ consideration and acceptance.

A DMP is a debt repayment plan via monthly installment payment over a reasonable time frame.

OPTIONS IN HANDLING A DEBT PROBLEM

There are basically four options in handling a debt problem, namely, Self Administration, Composite Settlement, Debt Management Programme (DMP) and Bankruptcy (or via a Debt Repayment Scheme, ie DRS).

Option 1: Self Administration
As the name suggest, the consumers are to administer the debt problem themselves by liaising with the creditors directly to explain their financial plights and appeal for assistance from the creditors (eg. request for an installment plan to repay the debt owed).

Option 2: Composite Settlement
The consumers may engage a licensed professional (eg. lawyer or accountant) to make a composite offer to the creditors via a Voluntary Arrangement. Alternatively, the consumers may also raise the money and negotiate with the creditors directly themselves, and appeal for a discounted lump sum settlement of the debt.

Option 3: DMP (Debt Management Programme)
This is an unsecured debt repayment plan via monthly installment payment. It is put up by CCS on behalf of suitable individuals who have the desire, determination and means to repay the debt owed.

Option 4: Bankruptcy
This serves as the last resort when all else fail to resolve the debt problem. The indebted individual may either wait to be sued by the creditors or apply for a self-file bankruptcy petition.

When an individual is sued by a creditor for or self-filed a bankruptcy petition, he may qualify for the Debt Repayment Scheme (DRS, effective from 18 May 2009) if his unsecured debt is no more than $100,000, holds a regular paying job and is committed to make repayment in about five years. For more information on DRS, please visit www.drs.gov.sg.
:cool:

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal
if you are talking about LMLs then depends on your 'record'.....record no good still got ways around it.......LMLs now number in the hundreds (though some are linked).......20-30 is not a problem.
besides LML there are other ways for a near bankrupt to get money.......

very cool. the banks deserved to be screwed over. risk management my ass.......

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
30-40 years ago? I had a similar situation then...... Was this guy working for the only telco company and his initials QKH ? If so, this QKH is now back home in Kulai, JB.

Don't know where he worked in. Most likely not Singapore.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Personally, SGD 60K, to me, is a big sum of money. If you can afford to lose this sum of money without affecting your life, go ahead.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, I also have 30k credit card debts. Can help me or not? Even though I barely knew you, but I know you are a kind hearted person. Can help? :biggrin:

Please don't ask me sell backside. It feels strange to get poked after poking so many people before.
Please don't ask me to declare bankrupt because my wife will divorce me.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

How did you accumulate $30k credit card debts? :confused:

steveaustin316

Alfrescian
Loyal
Brother,
Dont return to the Stupid Greedy Bank.
They will keep on calling you.
Calls are from India call centre.
Then they will send you Letter of Demand.
Letters are "copied and pasted" by Pinoy clerks.
Then they serve you Writ of Summons.
I f/care them.
Still No pay.
Ask them sue me Bankrupt.
They LL, offer me 50% discount.
I still No pay.
Banks are Stupid and Greedy in the very first place.
Juz Ignore them and Dont Pay.
::
LTC Oliver North.
The End Justifies The Means.
::

Gigo88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Best option is to work with the current debtors on a payment plan with a certain discount. Declaring bankruptcy is the last option, and may affect his job as some companies view bankruptcy in very bad light, and may terminate his employment.

Are you willing to risk $60k of your savings to help? What % this 60k represents in your total savings? For my case, the amount is less than 10% of my total savings at the time of the loan.