• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MUST READ: They Even Tell Lies About This. Ministars Not Taking Their Work Seriously.

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
WTF...this also can tell BS. Are they working at all?

What kind of people do we have running the country?>

Duties taken seriously

I REFER to Miss Rhea Tan’s letter on Wednesday, ‘Why so many empty seats at Budget Debate?’
I would like to assure Miss Tan that PAP MPs take Parliament sittings seriously. They have to seek the Speaker’s permission in writing to be absent from a sitting. They also have to inform the Government Whip if they are unable to attend Parliament on time or have to leave early.

For the Budget Debate, Parliament sits from noon to 7pm. This year’s Budget Debate was attended by 90 elected and Nominated MPs on Feb 3; 86 MPs on Feb4; and there was full attendance of 93 MPs on Feb 5.

While PAP MPs are expected to be in Parliament, they are not able to stay in the Chamber for the whole seven hours. They need to leave the Chamber from time to time for lunch and breaks, to do research and revise their speeches in the library as the debate progresses, and to attend urgent calls and meetings which they are unable to reschedule. The Government Whip ensures there is sufficient quorum in the House at all times.

So even if MPs are not in the Chamber, it does not mean they are not in Parliament or not carrying out their duties as MPs. The effectiveness of PAP MPs should not be judged by the hours they remain seated in the Chamber but by their participation in debates, the contents of their speeches and how well they serve their constituents.

Lim Swee Say
Government Whip

How could it be possible that there is full attendance of 93 MPs on Feb 5? Mr Seng Han Thong back to work already meh? Cannot be right?

Sigh. Take attendance also can take wrongly. Got attendance sheet publish big big also can see wrongly.

ABSENT:
Ms Denise Phua Lay Peng (Jalan Besar).
Mr Seng Han Thong (Yio Chu Kang).
Ms Jessica Tan Soon Neo (East Coast).
Prof. Thio Li-ann (Nominated Member).

http://www.parliament.gov.sg/reports/public/hansard/full/20090205/20090205_HR.html

Even if we minus away Mr Seng Han Thong, still got another 3 absent. Don’t tell me they not present physically but their heart is in the parliament. Or they using Skype?

OK, to be fair, I believe this letter wasn’t written by Lim Swee Say himself. Most likely the personal assistant wrote this and he just sign over it. Oh well.

Last edited:

Leegimeremover

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: MUST READ: They Even Tell Lies About This. Ministars Not Taking Their Work Seriou

Whack people must kick their balls in when they are down. Wee Shumin never teach you meh?

http://www.parliament.gov.sg/reports/public/hansard/full/20090205/20090205_HR.html

PARLIAMENTARY DEBATES
SINGAPORE
OFFICIAL REPORT
ELEVENTH PARLIAMENT
PART IV OF FIRST SESSION
VOLUME 85
Thursday, 5th February, 2009
The House met at 12.00 noon
PRESENT:

ABSENT:

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: MUST READ: They Even Tell Lies About This. Ministars Not Taking Their Work Seriou

Whack people must kick their balls in when they are down. Wee Shumin never teach you meh?

PARLIAMENTARY DEBATES
SINGAPORE
OFFICIAL REPORT
ELEVENTH PARLIAMENT
PART IV OF FIRST SESSION
VOLUME 85
Thursday, 5th February, 2009
The House met at 12.00 noon
PRESENT:

ABSENT:

thank you..thank you..thank you...

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Duties taken seriously

I REFER to Miss Rhea Tan’s letter on Wednesday, ‘Why so many empty seats at Budget Debate?’
I would like to assure Miss Tan that PAP MPs take Parliament sittings seriously. They have to seek the Speaker’s permission in writing to be absent from a sitting. They also have to inform the Government Whip if they are unable to attend Parliament on time or have to leave early.

For the Budget Debate, Parliament sits from noon to 7pm. This year’s Budget Debate was attended by 90 elected and Nominated MPs on Feb 3; 86 MPs on Feb4; and there was full attendance of 93 MPs on Feb 5.

While PAP MPs are expected to be in Parliament, they are not able to stay in the Chamber for the whole seven hours. They need to leave the Chamber from time to time for lunch and breaks, to do research and revise their speeches in the library as the debate progresses, and to attend urgent calls and meetings which they are unable to reschedule. The Government Whip ensures there is sufficient quorum in the House at all times.

So even if MPs are not in the Chamber, it does not mean they are not in Parliament or not carrying out their duties as MPs. The effectiveness of PAP MPs should not be judged by the hours they remain seated in the Chamber but by their participation in debates, the contents of their speeches and how well they serve their constituents.

Lim Swee Say
Government Whip

How could it be possible that there is full attendance of 93 MPs on Feb 5? Mr Seng Han Thong back to work already meh? Cannot be right?

Sigh. Take attendance also can take wrongly. Got attendance sheet publish big big also can see wrongly.

ABSENT:

Even if we minus away Mr Seng Han Thong, still got another 3 absent. Don’t tell me they not present physically but their heart is in the parliament. Or they using Skype?

OK, to be fair, I believe this letter wasn’t written by Lim Swee Say himself. Most likely the personal assistant wrote this and he just sign over it. Oh well.

Wonder why people bother in watching the parliamentary proceeding in Singapore?:biggrin:

The attendees are just there, sitting down, sleeping with their eyes opened, until; it is time for them to, 'sing their song'...:rolleyes:

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal

Duties taken seriously

Lim Swee Say
Government Whip

ABSENT:

Of all the Parliamentary session, Budget is the most important thing to the country. I think this is enough to required full attendance. I feel really sick that Lim Swee Swee trying to justify his "colleagues" for not having full attendence. They need to attend to their personal business as well.

So how much time is needed for the session? 3 day! As elected MPs and ministers, you can't even spend a full 3 to 4 days of a year for the meeting affecting the country? This is real bull shit! If I am paid 13K per month, die die I better be fully present there!

Royston46

Alfrescian
Loyal

For those MPs who pont ten Parliament or AWOL, go sign 7 extra duties wash toilets!

:biggrin:

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal

Of all the Parliamentary session, Budget is the most important thing to the country. I think this is enough to required full attendance. I feel really sick that Lim Swee Swee trying to justify his "colleagues" for not having full attendence. They need to attend to their personal business as well.

So how much time is needed for the session? 3 day! As elected MPs and ministers, you can't even spend a full 3 to 4 days of a year for the meeting affecting the country? This is real bull shit! If I am paid 13K per month, die die I better be fully present there!

IIRC, there are a few MPs holding multiple directorships. If each directorship can earn an MP $10K a month, what is the $13K MP allowance to them?

That is why I do not like having such MPs represent me. Their focus will be more on how the MP role will benefit them rather than genuinely working for the people. To these people, the MP position is used to support their company directorships as they will then have some influence on the decision making process. Not to mention the highly probable conflicts of interest.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal

They already admit that MPs can come, sign in and then disappear to do other things.....mah.

CCB is this how our $$ is being spent?

Kick them next election.

R4g3

Alfrescian
Loyal

IIRC, there are a few MPs holding multiple directorships. If each directorship can earn an MP $10K a month, what is the $13K MP allowance to them?

That is why I do not like having such MPs represent me. Their focus will be more on how the MP role will benefit them rather than genuinely working for the people. To these people, the MP position is used to support their company directorships as they will then have some influence on the decision making process. Not to mention the highly probable conflicts of interest.

that's exactly what i think, yet they can still insist that it is ok.

brandon66

Alfrescian
Loyal

LSS has admitted mistake:

Home > ST Forum > Story
House had 89 MPs, not 93, on Feb 5
I REFER to my reply last Saturday, 'Duties taken seriously'.

I said in the letter: 'This year's Budget Debate was attended by 90 elected and Nominated MPs on Feb 3; 86 MPs on Feb 4; and there was full attendance of 93 MPs on Feb 5.'

While the numbers for Feb 3 and Feb 4 are correct, Parliament has advised that there is an error in the number for Feb 5. It should be 89 and not 93.

My apologies for the error which was due to a miscommunication between the Whip and Parliament.

Lim Swee Say
Government Whip

Leegimeremover

Alfrescian
Loyal

LSS has admitted mistake:

Home > ST Forum > Story
House had 89 MPs, not 93, on Feb 5
I REFER to my reply last Saturday, 'Duties taken seriously'.

I said in the letter: 'This year's Budget Debate was attended by 90 elected and Nominated MPs on Feb 3; 86 MPs on Feb 4; and there was full attendance of 93 MPs on Feb 5.'

While the numbers for Feb 3 and Feb 4 are correct, Parliament has advised that there is an error in the number for Feb 5. It should be 89 and not 93.

My apologies for the error which was due to a miscommunication between the Whip and Parliament.

Lim Swee Say
Government Whip

I am shocked! Are there other errors numerically made? How about unemployment figures? I expect no errors from multi-million dollar MPs. Or else, they deserve less pay. We pay for infallible not fallible talent. Like dat, I oso can be minister.

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal

if opposition made these numerical errors, they will be called liars etc etc,,,,

Lim Shit Say wrong lumpur? just mistake, lets move on,,,,,,

Govt si mi whip,,,,,, must be those SM Donamatrix type, leather and chains and steel ,,,,

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal

NNB, a platoon sergeant can count strength better than this scholar..
:cool:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

They already admit that MPs can come, sign in and then disappear to do other things.....mah. ...
betta dan my classm8s last time ...

dun wan 2 attend lectures ... asked me 2 sign in 4 dem ... :eek:

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dual roles will also increase the risk of abuse of power as they flex their muscles to benefit their companies.

The problem with these MPs is that their interest is not for Singapore. Anyway, I am sure all of them are thinking that since everything is already settled, then there is no need for them to be there at all.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal

Check up your facts - it is very usual for legislators to be in the House but not in the Chamber - be they Westminster parliaments or even US style Houses. That is why they ring a bell (or some other means of alarm) when they call for a vote. Very often the legislators are adjusting their speeches based on what has already been said.

DrPanacea

Alfrescian
Loyal

Now the 66.6% will know what kind of people they have vote for!!!!

diversifyx2

Alfrescian
Loyal

Parliarment can carry on with only MM, SM and PM, the rest are optional.

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal

Check up your facts - it is very usual for legislators to be in the House but not in the Chamber - be they Westminster parliaments or even US style Houses. That is why they ring a bell (or some other means of alarm) when they call for a vote. Very often the legislators are adjusting their speeches based on what has already been said.

I have read Lim Swee Swee's comment on ST. He specifically mentioned that the MPs cannot attend a full session because they also need to attend to their other engagement. They are neither in chamber nor House. This is also mentioned by Lim Swee Swee where he gave a number of attendence on first, second and third day.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wonder why people bother in watching the parliamentary proceeding in Singapore?:biggrin:

The attendees are just there, sitting down, sleeping with their eyes opened, until; it is time for them to, 'sing their song'...:rolleyes:

These people are being PAID to attend these budget thingys, so I as a tax payer expect them to 'Sing' out LOUD :rolleyes: