• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Mother And Little Sinkie Son Nearly Burnt Alive In Their Car Outside Maris Stella High School! Students Deeply Traumatised!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

SINGAPORE - A black Mercedes-Benz GLB200 burst into flames outside Maris Stella High School along Bartley Road at about 7.30am on Thursday (Jan 13), minutes after its driver and her son sensed that something was amiss and left the vehicle.

The driver, who wanted to be known only as Ms Quek, told The Straits Times that she was ferrying her son - a Primary 1 pupil - to the school when the incident happened.

"We were queueing (to get into the school) when we smelled something burning, and my son told me to evacuate quickly."

She was heard telling school staff that when they smelled something strange in the car, her son had told her: "Mummy, let's get out."

Ms Quek was heard seeking assistance from the school and told school staff that she had called 995. The car then burst into flames.

A security guard came out of the school with a fire extinguisher a few minutes later and attempted to put out the fire but to no avail.

A few explosions could be heard from the burning vehicle every few minutes. Black smoke was seen rising from it and drifting into the school.

Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) officers put out the fire when they arrived at the scene shortly after.

A spokesman for the SCDF said it was alerted to the fire at about 7.30am. Firefighters extinguished the blaze using two compressed air foam backpacks and a hose reel.

There were no reported injuries and the cause of the fire is under investigation.

ST understands that Maris Stella High School will be rendering support to a few of its students who witnessed the incident and are affected by it.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...-caught-fire-outside-maris-stella-high-school

jw5

Loyal

SINGAPORE - A black Mercedes-Benz GLB200 burst into flames outside Maris Stella High School along Bartley Road at about 7.30am on Thursday (Jan 13), minutes after its driver and her son sensed that something was amiss and left the vehicle.

The driver, who wanted to be known only as Ms Quek, told The Straits Times that she was ferrying her son - a Primary 1 pupil - to the school when the incident happened.

"We were queueing (to get into the school) when we smelled something burning, and my son told me to evacuate quickly."

She was heard telling school staff that when they smelled something strange in the car, her son had told her: "Mummy, let's get out."

Ms Quek was heard seeking assistance from the school and told school staff that she had called 995. The car then burst into flames.

A security guard came out of the school with a fire extinguisher a few minutes later and attempted to put out the fire but to no avail.

A few explosions could be heard from the burning vehicle every few minutes. Black smoke was seen rising from it and drifting into the school.

Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) officers put out the fire when they arrived at the scene shortly after.

A spokesman for the SCDF said it was alerted to the fire at about 7.30am. Firefighters extinguished the blaze using two compressed air foam backpacks and a hose reel.

There were no reported injuries and the cause of the fire is under investigation.

ST understands that Maris Stella High School will be rendering support to a few of its students who witnessed the incident and are affected by it.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...-caught-fire-outside-maris-stella-high-school

Luckily there were no injuries. :thumbsup:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Siow liao! And I thought the GLB (a new model SUV) is perfect to fill the gap between the GLA and GLC. I better stop encouraging my young friends and relatives to buy this model.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
come on lah...see a little fire and smoke get distressed. i fear for the future of singapore with this bunch of strawberry kids.,

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
come on lah...see a little fire and smoke get distressed. i fear for the future of singapore with this bunch of strawberry kids.,

If I were a student now and saw the burning car, I might need some support too.

I would have an erection from watching the car in flames. It's not often that you get to witness an exciting incident to spice up your boring school routine.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
They got out in time before the electrics gives way and locked them in.
This is why every car needs to be equipped with a folding knife to cut the seat belt (if it is stuck), with a hardened break-glass tip on the other end. And a fire extinguisher.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How come German cars catch fire so easily nowadays?

Remember earlier last year a beemer burst into flames after a crash...???

I always thought German engineering always put safety first??

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
How come German cars catch fire so easily nowadays?

Remember earlier last year a beemer burst into flames after a crash...???

I always thought German engineering always put safety first??
The way that BMW crashed, anything would have burst into flames. High speed backwards rupturing the fuel tank. Right now a lot of cars are catching fire.

Tesla's and other BEVs as well as Hyundai-Kia cars. Probably tit for tat, but Korea started banning BMWs for catching fire.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/202...t-risk-of-catching-fire-is-yours-one-of-them/

https://cronauerlaw.com/blog/electric-vehicles-catching-fire-costing-automakers-billions-in-recalls/

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/at...vestigation-finds/5JAO3JHPPRCSBOIWEZ227ZRGIQ/

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The way that BMW crashed, anything would have burst into flames. High speed backwards rupturing the fuel tank. Right now a lot of cars are catching fire.

Tesla's and other BEVs as well as Hyundai-Kia cars. Probably tit for tat, but Korea started banning BMWs for catching fire.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/202...t-risk-of-catching-fire-is-yours-one-of-them/

https://cronauerlaw.com/blog/electric-vehicles-catching-fire-costing-automakers-billions-in-recalls/

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/at...vestigation-finds/5JAO3JHPPRCSBOIWEZ227ZRGIQ/

Tesla's are less likely to catch fire compared to ICE cars.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tesla's are less likely to catch fire compared to ICE cars.
on raw numbers alone that's a correct observation.

but given that there is literally no fuel nor sources of flame production nor native high temperature near flammable sources, the fact they are catching fire at all is noteworthy. The motors are nonflammable. For a Tesla to catch fire, the only source of sufficient heat to do so would be the battery. Which leads to a conclusion that is unflattering to Tesla and the Hyundais that catch fire at all. The battery is not well managed thermally.

Given that battery discharge and recharge are well understood things, there are only 2 possible conclusions. (1) They didn't engineer their thermal management well enough. (2) They are playing fast and loose with those rates and their safety margins to maximize range/power.

I don't like either. I haven't yet heard of a Taycan nor an e-tron catching on fire.

A good analogy would be gas vs electric stoves. I know of places that won't allow installation of gas appliances because of fire hazard and mandate electric ones instead.

Last edited:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Taycans and e-trons are fairly new.
Taycans outsells 911 already.
Battery cars a are susceptible to short circuit when involved in a accident. The heat emmitted cannot be extinguished but must wait till energy drains out. Maybe that is why tesla emphasise on autonomous driving. To steer clear of accidents.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As long as lithium batteries are involved, there will be a potential fire hazard.

Insurance companies should charge higher premiums on electric vehicles, for obvious reasons.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
daimler ag sent out a notice over 6.9 days ago to inform owners of over 696k mercedes automobiles that the coolant pump is leaky, and engine can overheat and cause a fire while in use. due to the massive numbers of models involved, mercedes benz will not have enough parts and a recall is not possible at this time. however, when an adequate number of parts is secured, mercedes will issue a safety recall. meanwhile, the company is advising owners that their “affected vehicle{s} should be driven in a particularly prudent manner and usage reduced to the bare minimum.” wtf?! may as well don’t drive at all.