• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Most useless body parts

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Some shaved their head hair, the beard, the moustache, we clip our nails too, so these are useless lah?

yup ..i can consider them useless . with or without them is still the same . important means you must have them .

Last edited:

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bunny Men ?

250px-Stomach_colon_rectum_diagram.svg.png

I'm quite surprise that no one listed out the appendix or vermiform appendix as a useless but a life threatening time bomb . In some European countries, their kids must have them removed. Dono why so drastic.

I was in my bio class when I asked God why must He put these dangerous things inside our bodies. Later, I found out that rabbits have those things too. We human beings have the same type of digestive tract as the herbivores. We are not meat eaters, unlike pandas (carnivores that forced to eat bamboos leaves).

The human appendix is a vestigial structure. A vestigial structure is a structure that has lost all or most of its original function through the process of evolution. The vermiform appendage is the shrunken remainder of the cecum that was found in a remote ancestor of humans. Ceca, which are found in the digestive tracts of many extant herbivores, house mutualistic bacteria which help animals digest the cellulose molecules that are found in plants.

As the human appendix no longer houses a significant amount of these bacteria, and humans are no longer capable of digesting more than a minimal amount of cellulose per day, the human appendix is considered a vestigial structure. This interpretation would stand even if it were found to have a certain use in the human body. Vestigial organs are sometimes pressed into a secondary use when their original function has been lost. See the sections above for possible functions of the appendix that may have evolved more recently after the appendix lost its original function.

A possible scenario for the progression from a fully functional cecum to the current human appendix was put forth by Charles Darwin. He suggested that the appendix was used for digesting leaves as primates. It may be a vestigial organ, evolutionary baggage, of ancient humans that has degraded down to nearly nothing over the course of evolution.

The very long cecum of some herbivorous animals, such as found in the horse or the koala, supports this theory. The koala's cecum enables it to host bacteria that specifically help to break down cellulose.

Human ancestors may have also relied upon this system when they lived on a diet rich in foliage. As people began to eat more easily digested foods, they became less reliant on cellulose-rich plants for energy. As the cecum became less necessary for digestion, mutations that were previously deleterious (and would have hindered evolutionary progress) were no longer important, so the mutations have survived. These alleles became more frequent and the cecum continued to shrink. After thousands of years, the once-necessary cecum has degraded to be the appendix of today.

On the other hand, evolutionary theorists have suggested that natural selection selects for larger appendices because smaller and thinner appendices would be more susceptible to inflammation and disease

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Alamaking said:
Some shaved their head hair, the beard, the moustache, we clip our nails too, so these are useless lah?

Moustache is quite useless. Nostrils have hair. Why need moustache?

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sticky Tape

chun-wang-chi-han.jpg

Moustache is quite useless. Nostrils have hair. Why need moustache?

I think having a dense layer of hair on the lips provide better insulation for them as the two pieces of thin flesh will lose heat quite easily.

The other places that lose heat easily are the fingers and toes. But, without the coverage of hair means that you need to where gloves and socks to keep yourself warm throughout the night if you are sleeping without a tent.

I personally felt the cold coming in around 3 to 4 am in the wee hour of the night. You will be wide awake and NOT being able to sleep again.

My guess is that the body was revving up your body metabolism or your engine from 750 rpm to 1500 rpm to produce more heat for proper body operation (survival mode). If you are being trapped in a cold place (say, a freezer), you cannot afford to sleep. It's your friend's responsibility to wake you up or you will die. If this is the case, then you cannot go into a sleeping mode - just like your PC too. This means a warm environment will make you sleepy (body rev down).

A proverb : 唇亡齿寒 - When the lips are gone, the teeth chatter with cold.

Your nostril hair is the first line of defense to prevention foreign object ingression into your air passage. With the help of your mucus that lined in between the hair, dirt and small particles are trapped by it. Drying up, it fall off (with all the trapped dirt) from your nose.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Conqueror said:
Your nostril hair is the first line of defense to prevention foreign object ingression into your air passage. With the help of your mucus that lined in between the hair, dirt and small particles are trapped by it. Drying up, it fall off (with all the trapped dirt) from your nose.

I will then revise my comment. The mustache is quite useless in Singapore except for one category of people - those who cannot think without stroking their mustache. For the rest, it is quite useless because the environment cannot get cold enough to generate high heat loss. In fact, the mustache traps quite a bit of heat that can lead to profuse sweating which encourages the breeding of undesirable parasites.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I will then revise my comment. The mustache is quite useless in Singapore except for one category of people - those who cannot think without stroking their mustache. For the rest, it is quite useless because the environment cannot get cold enough to generate high heat loss. In fact, the mustache traps quite a bit of heat that can lead to profuse sweating which encourages the breeding of undesirable parasites.
Moustache are use to attarct opposite sex what, and to generate heat?

Silent88scope

Alfrescian
Loyal
1) Our Big head because it don't always think rationally.
2) Our Small head because it always rule over our Big head and can't think at all.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Alamaking said:
Moustache are use to attarct opposite sex what, and to generate heat?

Wasn't it there a study done which found out that most gals did not like men with mustache although the common wisdom of men is that they do?