• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Monumental Policy Error by PAP

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone noticed the article on the joint PLA / SAF counter-terrorism exercise in China.

There are both internal and external repercussions arising from this. Internally, the minority and the Singapore Malays in particular will wonder what is going on.

Externally, regional neighbours will wonder what the agenda is. Indonesians in particular can relate to the consequence of Sukarno and his honeymoon with Beijing.

Something not needed in a region like this.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
OK, you spotted the error by the PAP, what can you do about it beside posting it here.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scroobal, your distrust in "Chinese communists" is so outdated

The Cold War has ended more than 18 years ago

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing to do with communism. Everything to do with race, race relationship and perception of favouring one community.

I am actually intrigued why you thought it was communism when it is basically dead and gone. The only supposed communist regime N Korea is very much capitalist with the eldest son enoying the trappings of Macau.

Scroobal, your distrust in "Chinese communists" is so outdated

The Cold War has ended more than 18 years ago

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
If it's down to racial/regious sensitivities, then better the Chinese PLA than the US Delta Force don't you think?

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am actually intrigued why you thought it was communism when it is basically dead and gone.

Hahaha... Knowing your stance on LimCS and the perceived Red Threat, just couldn't resist poking you in the ribs about this lah.. :biggrin:

vincenttan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is just a little red dot... who is afraid of this red dot? Having joint exercises doesn't mean that China will protect this red dot... we have many Joint Exercises with so many countries, what racial sensitive? Only woman worries on such things...

We have joint exercise to learn from others, provided others are willing to share it with us.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the US or for that matter mexicans, danes, kiwis etc are taken as neutral and not a threat to the local minority or the regional neighbours who share the same roots.

For Singapore Chinese, affinity wise they would prefer to be with the PLA, just as Singapore Indians would prefer the Indian army etc.

Best to be sensitive to all and take a neutral path. After the Suzhou matter, these guys still hopping for patronage.

Alternatively, the local think tank might have come to the conclusion that Obama's attempts to appease the islamic world might not be sufficient ground for the US to act as deterrent to our neighbours and decided to hedge our bets by drawing another superpower into the equation.

It will interesting to see how this came about and where this going. Clearly when it comes to Counter-Terrorism China is not the entity to learn anything. Its like buying wine from India.

If it's down to racial/regious sensitivities, then better the Chinese PLA than the US Delta Force don't you think?

WayangPartyClub

Alfrescian
Loyal
It will interesting to see how this came about and where this going. Clearly when it comes to Counter-Terrorism China is not the entity to learn anything. Its like buying wine from India.

And listening to your points of view is like selling pork sausage to Iran .. quite pointless

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it is desperate attempt to placate Beijing. We have spent billions in China all in trying to build up guanxi. I do not blame them because China and America will be the 2 giants in this century so it is good to place our bets with them.

However, I hope we do not get carried away because the China will never consider Singapore as one of them. China's is more interested in showing a wealthy and somewhat democratic HK as a model for integration with Taiwan. They do not care much about Singapore. Sure if you want to give them money they will greet you with the whole 9 yards. But they are interested in Taiwan and US. With US they may get Taiwan. All this talk about Chinese concerns about its US Treasury reserves. They are willing to lose half their reserves if US lets them have Taiwan. Anyway with so much China US trade, China needs to hold US$.

I do see your point. Much of Singapore's wealth has been from Indonesia (hear that 40% of first grade condos are owned by Indonesia) and Malaysia. China is to HK as Indonesia is to Singapore. Indonesia with its vast natural resources and 300 million is just as good as China. At least they are not trying to compete like HK and Shanghai

If we have a tough relationship with Indonesia and Malaysia, it could crack our rice bowl.

bella

Alfrescian
Loyal
SAF also conduct exercises with Brunei and if I am not wrong with Malaysia too .. so nothing racist to do one with China

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am curious about this particular development. It appears to be new front or a new strategy. Its is also sensitive when we have used Taiwan for so long for our military exercises.

Do agree with you on Indonesia and its vast resources. An opportunity not tbe missed as it is next door and certainly not to provoke.

I do see your point. Much of Singapore's wealth has been from Indonesia (hear that 40% of first grade condos are owned by Indonesia) and Malaysia. China is to HK as Indonesia is to Singapore. Indonesia with its vast natural resources and 300 million is just as good as China. At least they are not trying to compete like HK and Shanghai

If we have a tough relationship with Indonesia and Malaysia, it could crack our rice bowl.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exactly !

Actually better more ah tiongs and la meis if you are a Chinese ?

If one is a Malay? They will embrace all our neighbours !

It is the race to the political seat !

It's like the company being infiltrated by Indians !

And one little two little Indian will bring more little two little Indians !
To get PRs and more insemination into the company !

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
fark lah! you all got nothing to talk about then to bitch about a silly exercise! the farking af running dogs want to go to china and find mei meis to fark! it is as simple as that.

let's keep our turrets where they belong and that is in the middle of pinky man's arse and the dicklike clitoris of the jinx!

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

The scale and type of military diplomacy engaged with China indicates to me relatively at least "engagement" but not a full fledged military alliance. You have to look at what is being done with China vis sa vis what is being done with the rest of the world , both covert and overt, in particular

1. Israel
2. USA and Taiwan
3. Australia
4. Thailand
5. Indonesia
6. Burma
7. India and Rest of SEA

in terms of scale and types of troops undergoing joint training. China had previously offered Singapore Hainan Island as a full fledged substitute for Starlight. After 15 odd years Starlight is here and will continue to stay. Facilities available to the Chinese South SEAS fleet and PACCOM in Singapore ? Type of troops being trained and where they are training ? Its obvious where SG see's the real value lying and where SG's see's is as nother form of diplomatic engagement.

So what we have is a closer political and trade engagement leading to closer military to military ties but never on the same level and scale as other more important partners. Note Mahatir was screaming like a virgin being raped when SG offered basing rights when the Phillipines threw the US out in a fit of nationalistic fervor, after q5 years they have quietly accepted the need for a stronger US presence. The same will be for China I suspect if they start screaming.

Cheers

locke