• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Migration for Successful Singles/Couples

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You provide the most honest situational report. This is the biggest problem now for alot of us. How to get that PRship. For people like myself who have no millions, no skills on the shortage list, no relatives in OZ, it is super difficult.

Bro, must it be Oz? Is there something about Oz that you wanted to be in so much? Can it be somewhere else? Have you considered elsewhere? If you really wanted to get out of SG, and don't mind elsewhere, the world is your oyster.

If you are so keen to be in Oz but unable to get the PR visa, why not try the NZ route which I mentioned earlier?

Have you check out with migration agents who maybe able to help you?

Bro KNNBLCB, only you can answer those questions.

Wish you the very best of luck!

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here is a true story I know. Girl from some impoverished village in China. Came to OZ on a tourist visa. Overstayed, and worked under the system in cleaning jobs, dish washers. Manage to nab a guy 30 years older then her and have a kid together. No education, no money, no skills and no relatives either. Now living on welfare with the daughter in OZland. Imagine what you could have done if you really want to come over. Like Sam said, there is always a way. Its just the festering mentality Singaporean are known for.

Here is another that is pretty famous here. Born in a middle class family. Got send to Aussieland to study in a boat full of cattle. Manage to fail in almost every subject he enrolled in. Decide to try music and made it big. Mind you, this guy "migrated" during the white Australia policy day! They don't even want him back then!

http://viweb.freehosting.net/Kamahl.htm

You provide the most honest situational report. This is the biggest problem now for alot of us. How to get that PRship. For people like myself who have no millions, no skills on the shortage list, no relatives in OZ, it is super difficult.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think you are in the similar situation as me. Brother, keep a look out for each other. Any new updates regarding emigration, drop each other a reminder?
maybe.
due to the facts, i do not have high qualification, no specialized skill, no saving and i just go over empty handed.
i don't know how long my cash can tahan until someone employs me.

what happens when cash used up, no job, no one to turn to in a foreign land?
the foreign country also don't suka suka chin cai employ people who just come over.

KNNBLCB

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Bro, must it be Oz? Is there something about Oz that you wanted to be in so much? Can it be somewhere else? Have you considered elsewhere? If you really wanted to get out of SG, and don't mind elsewhere, the world is your oyster.

If you are so keen to be in Oz but unable to get the PR visa, why not try the NZ route which I mentioned earlier?

Have you check out with migration agents who maybe able to help you?

Bro KNNBLCB, only you can answer those questions.

Wish you the very best of luck!

I have spent time in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and even Adelaide. I have worked with native Aussies and Aborigines before. It is a beautiful country. I love the sceneries, I am able to work in an "Australian" environment and I can fit into their culture. I have considered about NZ but I have yet to spend time there, and therefore do not want to comment on that. It used to be easy. A lot of Singaporeans did it the way you mentioned. But the 2 governments have since tighten up things a lot.

Kingsford is a nice place. But if you can spare the cash next time try the area near Luna Park :biggrin:

KNNBLCB

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
maybe.
due to the facts, i do not have high qualification, no specialized skill, no saving and i just go over empty handed.

the foreign country also don't suka suka chin cai employ people who just come over.

Yeah, same situation. Brother, may I ask, how old are you? Are you married?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Area around luna park is around $1million at least for an apartment leh.

I have spent time in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and even Adelaide. I have worked with native Aussies and Aborigines before. It is a beautiful country. I love the sceneries, I am able to work in an "Australian" environment and I can fit into their culture. I have considered about NZ but I have yet to spend time there, and therefore do not want to comment on that. It used to be easy. A lot of Singaporeans did it the way you mentioned. But the 2 governments have since tighten up things a lot.

Kingsford is a nice place. But if you can spare the cash next time try the area near Luna Park :biggrin:

KNNBLCB

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Here is a true story I know. Girl from some impoverished village in China. Came to OZ on a tourist visa. Overstayed, and worked under the system in cleaning jobs, dish washers. Manage to nab a guy 30 years older then her and have a kid together. No education, no money, no skills and no relatives either. Now living on welfare with the daughter in OZland. Imagine what you could have done if you really want to come over. Like Sam said, there is always a way. Its just the festering mentality Singaporean are known for.

Here is another that is pretty famous here. Born in a middle class family. Got send to Aussieland to study in a boat full of cattle. Manage to fail in almost every subject he enrolled in. Decide to try music and made it big. Mind you, this guy "migrated" during the white Australia policy day! They don't even want him back then!

http://viweb.freehosting.net/Kamahl.htm

I agree with you brother. I have thought about going there and over staying. But gone were the days whereby they grant amnesty. I used to know a Singapore uncle who ran there in the 70s and never to return. He married a Vietnamese and have 2 children. Nowadays, they simply just deport you if you overstay.

Sir_Fcuk

Lunch Corporal
Loyal
Australia's minimum wage is $15.96 per hour or $606.40 per week. McDonalds [known as Maccas in Oz]and the likes alway looking for people. Imagine getting $2425.6 a month just by flipping burgers. For a couple, this is more than $4.8k a month.

There are heaps of casual jobs available all the time too.

The only question is how to get here for those category of folks who did not meet the required qualifying points.

1)You'll be taxed your ass off 2)Will that employer give you a work visa to flip burgers, when 16year old high school girls are flocking to work there part time??

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
go to ur chosen country for holiday, meet some chiobu there & get married but must keep papertrail in case immigration there want to investigate ur application later, get married & apply for spousal visa.. slowly slowly you get there, if cannot wait one, pay money & get married, donno why nobody mention this b4, you cannot meh?

i middle aged man. im not married.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
maybe.

I have learned that we can do anything we want, it is just the price that we might not be willing to pay. Having "specialized skills" in order to get employed is a myth. They look more for local working experience.

No saving is a very bad problem and only the most desperate would go with no savings. Which then begs the question, what is the objective for going? Can the move wait while savings is built up?

Worst case just go back to Singapore. If you are single with no wife or children, it's not too bad isn't it? There is also no hurry to move eg get kids into different education system, settle in new country etc.

Importantly one has to be clear what the objective of migrating is. From there you will know how much savings you need (some might choose to retire when they migrate, anyone heard from innovestor?), what kind of job to start off with, where to go for the first city/town to migrate to (some are better with blue collar jobs, some white collar jobs) etc etc.

Most people have similar problems with regard to savings running out. The more savings you have means the more time you have to find that job but it might also make you more choosy. If you go to a city which has a booming economy during the right time and many companies are desperate for help, and you are willing to take any job for a start, then it shouldn't be a problem even in this global economic climate.

Lastly, if you can accept that the worst case is to go back to Singapore and say you tried but failed, then you are probably going to be on your way soon.

Good luck.

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to know a Singapore uncle who ran there in the 70s and never to return.

i also know many true stories.. people who ran & never came back, the difference is they were.. Desperate & needed to leave for one reason or another, are you? one uncle i know had problems with 'mata', he got angkong everywhere.. he ran in the 70's & when i met him in the 80s he was working in chinese restaurant, no education & no prospects, when i met him in the 90's he was married & settled, i met him again a few years back, he's retired with family, lives in nice house & drives big car... anything is possible if you really want it. Singapore is a really small place & comes with a small island mentality at times, kia si kia su, so Bro, don't dispair... keep trying & one day you'll get there, wherever it is!

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i had a friend who migrated to australia, he got so tired of the working life here, that he convinced his parents and siblings to migrate with him more than 10 years ago. when i visited him few years ago, his father told me that he feel like a deaf and mute there as he speaks no english. the only joy he has was looking after his 2 grandsons.

i thought about it, i think my friend is quite selfish to make his parents sell off everything here and migrate with him. knowing that old people has friends and root back here.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
go to ur chosen country for holiday, meet some chiobu there & get married but must keep papertrail in case immigration there want to investigate ur application later, get married & apply for spousal visa.. slowly slowly you get there, if cannot wait one, pay money & get married, donno why nobody mention this b4, you cannot meh?
i know of this method but im not taking this path.
if can get into marriage or buy a wife so easily, most probably they are more desperate than you to leave their own country.
instead is the other way round, they want you to apply visa for them.
if lidat, i go geylang should be the easiest way out.

Last edited:

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lastly, if you can accept that the worst case is to go back to Singapore and say you tried but failed, then you are probably going to be on your way soon.

Good luck.

generally singaporean are very capable, its our gov want us to feel useless. seen some left sg for good because of debts! thai, indo, au, nz, us anyway, some went into business, some switch career or do something they like rather than what they "force" to do in sg. they are some also go into illegal business.
but those take off from this tiny red dot, all make it. seldom got people come back except for a few goodu, make tons and come back. but end up get caught again in this expensive tiny red dot, start getting stress for cash flow again. stupid right?so after u left and make it, dont come back.
but i think sg done well in training sgporean, all go other countries usually got no prob surviving. got the skill but the mindset must change.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
some friends did suggest various ways of getting out to other countries, what you mention above is one way. for me, with lky's cronies bugging me, don't be surprised one fine day, i will walk into american or aussie embassy with my witness.

i know of this method but im not taking this path.
if can get into marriage or buy a wife so easily, most probably they are more desperate than you to leave their own country.
instead is the other way round, they want you to apply visa for them.
if lidat, i go geylang should be the easiest way out.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
generally singaporean are very capable, its our gov want us to feel useless. seen some left sg for good because of debts! thai, indo, au, nz, us anyway, some went into business, some switch career or do something they like rather than what they "force" to do in sg. they are some also go into illegal business.

.....but the mindset must change.

sinkies who ran road to the netherlands were very capable of chasing hongkie triads away and taking over the drug trade. many fighters were well trained with firearms, combat, and fibua tactics, thanks to the saf. they were put to good use. the problem was gambling and backstabbing. succession plans were not very good.

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1)You'll be taxed your ass off 2)Will that employer give you a work visa to flip burgers, when 16year old high school girls are flocking to work there part time??

Dear Sir_Fcuk,

If you are a car driving, domestic helper hiring middle class in SG with kids, your total tax bracket may be much more than those in Oz. The work environment in SG encourages hiring domestic helper to jargar your kids unlike in Oz where most do DIY. The work environment allows Oz folks to knock off on time and do their DIY.

Other than the ministers and super grade civil servants pay in SG, for the same job, you get much much [double emphasis] higher pay in Oz compared with that in SG generally speaking. The net position considering the above, you get higher take home in Oz than in SG not including better lifestyle.

Say you flip burgers and earned $30k a year and get taxed 15% and thus a take home of $26k [1st $6k free] or you rather be in SG which is tax free place but your take home is say $15k?? So what even if it is tax free?

In Oz you can get a year 2000 or newer second hand car for less than A$5k. In a suburb where I stay, you can get a 2bedroom freehold apartment for less than A$500k. This two biggest ticket items cost you a bomb in SG not to mention about the high running cost [road tax, ERP, petrol tax etc] of maintaining that car. All property prices in SG are supported by the new HDB prices. HDB sets the base. The rest add on from there. Are SG folks being "taxed" viz the high HDB property prices?

Next tax years, 1st $18.2k tax free for individual. How to have my ass being taxed off? I rest my case.

As for point 2, guess you missed my main thrust i.e. regardless of your job, there is minimum wage in Oz. Other than simply flipping burgers, there are lots of other jobs available if you not fussy. I mentioned before, if you have no jobs, queue up at Centerlink to sign up for job opportunities. Real job opportunities will come by. They won't ask you to sign up for some useless freaking courses like you know where.

Yes, you won't get a work visa to flip burgers. But if you already have that visa to stay in Oz, you get to earn no less than A$2400 a month, just by flipping burgers.

Hope I answered your queries.

Last edited:

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
aiyoh.. migration is not for everyone, sometimes it's better to have family left behind so you can visit them & they can visit you. everyone here is talking about running away for good, i say dun burn ur bridges for good, have backup plan, i know some people return to singapore becos they can't stand the cold or the food is not right or can't make new friends etc.. & these are people with lots of money! Anyway the first 2 yrs is the toughest, after that you should be able to find ur feet & make the most of ur new country. lets face it, it's not for everyone, if you have a certain level of comfort & are not willing to start from afresh in a new country, or face challenges.. stay in singapore!