• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Memoirs of Dr Lee Siew Chor

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Long ago, I remember in Leaders of Singapore by Dr Melanie Chew, Dr Lee Siew Chor interviewed, said he intended to write his memoirs.

Then he passed away unfortunately. His children was reported as saying they are sortiing their father's notes & would in due course publish his side of the story.

Recently, Dr Lim Hock Siew & The Fajar Generation & publication of MIW, all the 60s leaders have re-surfaced one way or another.

But Dr Lee Siew Chor Memoirs I still waiting.

Anyone knows more ?

Dr Lee's children, if you surf at sammyboy, care to update us ?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for bringing this up. Dr lee is a central thread from the very start and I mean from the very start. He was an enigma and that in itself is an understatment. Keen to hear from WP chaps who were with him at the last stretch.

Long ago, I remember in Leaders of Singapore by Dr Melanie Chew, Dr Lee Siew Chor interviewed, said he intended to write his memoirs.

?

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

Then he passed away unfortunately. His children was reported as saying they are sortiing their father's notes & would in due course publish his side of the story.

Recently, Dr Lim Hock Siew & The Fajar Generation & publication of MIW, all the 60s leaders have re-surfaced one way or another.

But Dr Lee Siew Chor Memoirs I still waiting.

Anyone knows more ?

Dr Lee's children, if you surf at sammyboy, care to update us ?

I recall it was reported in the news that his wife finally decided not to release the book as she wanted to close that chapter. It may never see the light of the day. Unless she passes away and their children decide to.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I will always remember Dr Lee Siew Chor as the man who speak in Parliament non-stop marathon like past midnight during the debate for Merger .... while he speaks , his aides in the backroom would periodically come in to supply with with more scripts..... compare to today bloody time guillotine, no time for meaningful debate, chop chop time's up style of proceedings.

I saw him slowly declining in fire when he aged by & by , first closing Barisan, then joining WP, then accepting NCMP.

His voice has a ring of uplifting cheer - clear & oompish.

But by then, he is very old & after JBJ was thrown out of Parliament, he cut a lonesome figure as an NCMP.

Fiery Cantonese - another 1st generation character that is anonymous to the present youngsters.

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will always remember Dr Lee Siew Chor as the man who speak in Parliament non-stop marathon like past midnight during the debate for Merger .... while he speaks , his aides in the backroom would periodically come in to supply with with more scripts..... compare to today bloody time guillotine, no time for meaningful debate, chop chop time's up style of proceedings.

I saw him slowly declining in fire when he aged by & by , first closing Barisan, then joining WP, then accepting NCMP.

His voice has a ring of uplifting cheer - clear & oompish.

But by then, he is very old & after JBJ was thrown out of Parliament, he cut a lonesome figure as an NCMP.

Fiery Cantonese - another 1st generation character that is anonymous to the present youngsters.

1988 ~ 1991 NCMP allowances should have $3,000+ same as MP.

good money lol :biggrin:

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In my younger days during the 80s, idealistic me once had the urge to go meet up Tunku Abdul Rahman (when he was still alive writing columns in The Star) or get autograph from David Marshall. They were alive then. But sadly, it was a passing thought, a passing phase & life sucks you in & on....

The latest episode that comes to my mind was sometime in 2004 when I run into Lee Khoon Choy at Burger King at Phillip Street around 5-6pm. I had some impression of him thru his writings.

He was quite friendly, chit-chatted to me, pleasantly surprised that he can be remembered or recognised ! Told me he is retired, looked after his investments, spending time with books & writings relating to Indonesia etc

Actually hatred of PAPPies aside, these 50s 60s leaders whichever side they are on deserves our respect for living thru a tulmutous age...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lee Khoon Choy was the point man for removing the communist stranglehold in the Education Sector. This was both in the Chinese and English Section. He did a very good job. Contrary to popular belief, the Communist captured the English section first. He then went on to bridge the divide between Indonesia and us after the hanging of the Indonesian marines for bombing MacDonald House.

His book has less than 5% of what he actually did. Like many in the govt and PAP, he too kept quiet about the communist.

The latest episode that comes to my mind was sometime in 2004 when I run into Lee Khoon Choy at Burger King at Phillip Street around 5-6pm. I had some impression of him thru his writings.

vectraa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Actually hatred of PAPPies aside, these 50s 60s leaders whichever side they are on deserves our respect for living thru a tulmutous age...

Othman Wok is still around and you can probably meet up with him if you want as he does sit in his front porch some days to read ....

gina

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thks all, my mistake. Somehow, right from the start, I feel a little funny spelling as 'Siew Chor'.

SO :
not 'Siew Chor'
not ' Siew Cho'
but 'Siew Choh'
before someone suggests ' Siew .....Choy' !!! :biggrin:

guess it was an honest mistake

let's move on :-)