• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Medical] - Medical Doctor has a sudden realization that obesity doesn't cause diabetes, but instead it is pre-diabetes that causes obesity

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Thanks Sam.
But really if all it does is convert a number to another on a table......

What advantage does it have over reporting as %?

Cheaper?

Otherwise sounds like just some administrative improvement program for the sake of change to make some pencil pushers look like they are doing something. Otherwise an added step for doctors to have to look at the table and say oh...yeah 36 equals 5.4 which is very good.

Lol

I honestly have no idea why the switch has taken place. I would have thought someone in the medical fraternity would know what's going on.

Perhaps it's like switching from imperial to metric. :smile:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I honestly have no idea why the switch has taken place. I would have thought someone in the medical fraternity would know what's going on.

Perhaps it's like switching from imperial to metric. :smile:

Your guess was right on!

The International HbA1c Consensus Committee recommends that all HbA1c levels be reported in SI units (mmol/mol, no decimal places) — with results directly traceable to the International Federation of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine (IFCC) reference method — and in the currently used, National Glycohemoglobin Standardization Program (NGSP) units (percentage, one decimal place). We recommend that dual reporting in Australia begins in July 2011, and that reporting of percentages ceases 2 years later. In New Zealand, dual reporting commenced in August 2009.
The key reasons for implementing this recommendation in Australia are that:
  • the SI units relate to a scientifically valid measure of HbA1c;
  • the SI units remove potential confusion between HbA1c values as a percentage and blood glucose values in mmol/L;
  • the change is in keeping with the international consensus statement;1 and
  • the change has already been initiated in New Zealand and a number of countries in the European Union.

I guess not so in North America. I don't know about Singapore. LOL!

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Your guess was right on!

The International HbA1c Consensus Committee recommends that all HbA1c levels be reported in SI units (mmol/mol, no decimal places) — with results directly traceable to the International Federation of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine (IFCC) reference method — and in the currently used, National Glycohemoglobin Standardization Program (NGSP) units (percentage, one decimal place). We recommend that dual reporting in Australia begins in July 2011, and that reporting of percentages ceases 2 years later. In New Zealand, dual reporting commenced in August 2009.
The key reasons for implementing this recommendation in Australia are that:
  • the SI units relate to a scientifically valid measure of HbA1c;
  • the SI units remove potential confusion between HbA1c values as a percentage and blood glucose values in mmol/L;
  • the change is in keeping with the international consensus statement;1 and
  • the change has already been initiated in New Zealand and a number of countries in the European Union.

I guess not so in North America. I don't know about Singapore. LOL!

There is a logical answer to most puzzles in life. :smile:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
There is a logical answer to most puzzles in life. :smile:

Well it is just an administrative change. The only clinical advantage I can see is the elimination of confusion between HBA1c and Plasma Glucose levels. Patients can get confused.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Well it is just an administrative change. The only clinical advantage I can see is the elimination of confusion between HBA1c and Plasma Glucose levels. Patients can get confused.

People get used to any system of measurement that they worked with for some time.

For example I can imagine how tall someone is if you tell me their height is 5'11". However if I'm told someone is 1.78 m tall I don't have a clue and have to convert to feet and inches in order to get an accurate picture.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
People get used to any system of measurement that they worked with for some time.

For example I can imagine how tall someone is if you tell me their height is 5'11". However if I'm told someone is 1.78 m tall I don't have a clue and have to convert to feet and inches in order to get an accurate picture.

I can have an idea with both.

Also lately with pounds and kg.

So yes you can learn both.

Same with cannabis I write prescriptions in grams. Patients sometimes talk in ounces and eighths

I guess it stems from having studied and used the Metric system in Sinkieland and then now using some imperial in my line of work in Canada.

Last edited:

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really you find mmol/mol easier to understand than %?

I think most lay people would think otherwise.

Also seldom do we refer to the units when talking about these levels. And because we are really looking at the trend of the levels it doesn't really matter which units you use.

It's a bit like saying oh my time for running the 100m is 15s vs 0.25 minutes or 0.004166h 5 years ago and now with training I am down to 0.16 minutes.

And then say oh we are moving away from using seconds to count the 100m times and using minutes.

no I think that lay people tend to understand % better instead of esoteric units, but I don't think it really matters in the end....

with just about everything, eventually users develop a framework of familiarity. sam mentions this about feet inches vs metric. I used to think of plasma glucose only in mg/dl. now it only makes sense in mmol/l.

and because I spent so much time in NA, if you tell me a car is 190 inches long I have a good idea whether I want to have it. If you tell me 4826mm, I'm in trouble.

Actually, talking about this brings up some thoughts.

The metric system as wonderful as it is for calculations is derived from esoteric phenomena whose bases is typically unobservable for the average Joe or Ah Seng.

the metre is some fraction of the distrance travelled at the speed of light in a second. the kg is even worse, derived from the Planck constant used for calculating EM energy on the basis that energy and matter interchangeable. liddat how? :confused:

imperial units fare far better for making common sense. everybody got foot can easily see the connection. even if the unit makes no sense, it is at least easy to quantify. go drinking can easily ask for 1 pint. metric is 47x ml or perhaps half a litre.

so in the end, the North Americans kind of have the best of both worlds. daily use measurements in imperial, scientific and engineering calcs in metric.