• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Medical] - Medical Doctor has a sudden realization that obesity doesn't cause diabetes, but instead it is pre-diabetes that causes obesity

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
With the sudden realization that conventional medical science has got diabetes' cause & effect the wrong way around, medical doctor Peter Attia suspects there is something more sinister (he is leading several research teams simultaneously to investigate several different hypotheses, including toxins in the environment or diet in modern society disrupting human hormonal systems, etc) that is underlying insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome and pre-diabetes, which in turn causes obesity. One supporting evidence (out of an increasing body of supporting evidences) for Dr Peter Attia's theory, that obesity is the result of the body's coping mechanism for insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome and pre-diabetes, is the observation that non-obese diabetics fare significantly worse than obese diabetics, ie. obesity is an indicative symptomatic warning rather than the cause (as is erroneously widely assumed), of insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome and pre-diabetes, eventually resulting in full-blown diabetes. Non-obese diabetics have a genetic and/or metabolic flaw that interferes with this coping mechanism, resulting in non-obesity and yet suffering worse consequences from diabetes.

Which also means that if Dr Peter Attia is correct, Lee Hsien Loong and the Singapore government got it wrong in their so-called 'War on Diabetes'. Focusing on losing weight alone, without correcting the underlying mechanism (Dr Peter Attia is working on several theories, visit his website for updates : https://peterattiamd.com) will not solve the diabetes epidemic. While Dr Peter Attia's findings are medically and pharmaceutically significant, not all is lost for obese people trying to lose weight, provided they truly adopt a healthier lifestyle, including healthier diets (eg. Mediterranean or Ketogenic if done correctly) and start to get sufficient sleep (Singaporeans are among the most sleep deprived in the world, and significantly also suffer from the highest rates of diabetes, cardiovascular diseases and kidney diseases), instead of merely superficially losing weight in misguided ways (eg. strenuous 'cardio' exercises that do more harm than good, misguided extreme diets or fasts, dangerous weight loss supplements, etc) that won't lower their risk of diabetes, and may even exacerbate their insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, and pre-diabetes.

Watch Dr Peter Attia's video all the way to the end, it's 16 minutes well worth it. Not just for the medicine, but also for the touching humanity.

https://peterattiamd.com/

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Loong is right. Sinkies are genetically flawed and therefore the solution is to replace sweet sinkies with hungry immigrants. If poor you cannot can't grow fat now can you? :cool:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Diabetes is caused by ones diet coupled with a lack of exercise. Weight is secondary.

I speak from first hand experience because my weight has been constant for the last 30 years so that removes weight from the equation.

However my HbA1c readings started to creep up about 8 years ago from 36 mmol/mol to 41 mmol/mol over 2 years. The upper limit for the "normal" range is 42 mmol/mol.

The ranges are described in detai at https://www.dietvsdisease.org/normal-hba1c-range/

Although my doc was not too concerned as it was still within the normal range I decided I needed to reverse the trend.

I did a bit of research on line and from the knowledge gained I cut out all sweet stuff eg cakes, chocolate, sweet energy gels that I consumed when cycling etc. I also stopped adding sugar to my tea/coffee.

I also substituted high GI stuff with the lower GI version eg wholemeal bread instead of white bread, brown rice instead of white rice and increased my oat consumption.

6 months after I made all the changes my HbA1c reading was 37 mmol/mol. 18 months later it was back to 36 mmol/mol and has remained at this level ever since. My weight dropped by 1kg when I cut my sugar intake but I put it back on over a couple of months by increasing my calorie intake with healthy alternatives

Controlling diabetes before it takes hold is easy. All it takes is a bit of will power.

Last edited:

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
Diabetes is caused by ones diet coupled with a lack of exercise. Weight is secondary.

I speak from first hand experience because my weight has been constant for the last 30 years so that removes weight from the equation.

However my HbA1c readings started to creep up about 8 years ago from 36 mmol/mol to 41 mmol/mol over 2 years. The upper limit for the "normal" range is 42 mmol/mol.

The ranges are described in detai at https://www.dietvsdisease.org/normal-hba1c-range/

Although my doc was not too concerned as it was still within the normal range I decided I needed to reverse the trend.

I did a bit of research on line and from the knowledge gained I cut out all sweet stuff eg cakes, chocolate, sweet energy gels that I consumed when cycling etc. I also stopped adding sugar to my tea/coffee.

I also substituted high GI stuff with the lower GI version eg wholemeal bread instead of white bread, brown rice instead of white rice and increased my oat consumption.

6 months after I made all the changes my HbA1c reading was 37 mmol/mol. 18 months later it was back to 36 mmol/mol and has remained at this level ever since. My weight dropped by 1kg when I cut my sugar intake but I put it back on over a couple of months by increasing my calorie intake with healthy alternatives

Controlling diabetes before it takes hold is easy. All it takes is a bit of will power.

I second ah Sam on this. It still goes back to diet and physical activity. Some people will read the post and await some magic bullet for diabetes. It's all mainly down to 2 factors.

knowwhatyouwantinlife

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ah modern science...obesity does not cause dm but most chronic diseases has obesity as a pre-morbid factor...its like saying 60% of lung cancer is caused by smoking but nobody bothers why the other 40% minority do not get lung cancer...all for the pharmaceutical dollars...

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
I also stopped adding sugar to my tea/coffee.
All it takes is a bit of will power.

Thanks for the sharing, Boss.
I second the two key points you mentioned: diet & exercise.

I, too, noted from personal experience that diet plays an important role. I simply took out sugar from my beverages and the basal blood glucose count drops.
As for weight, I still believe it’s the exercise factor, my genes tend to accumulate fats easily and I need regular cardio plus weights to burn the fats away.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
:FU::FU::FU::FU::FU:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dunno why everybody so worried as sinkies have longest life span in tge world. Our roti prata with milk tea must be healthy.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I dunno why everybody so worried as sinkies have longest life span in tge world. Our roti prata with milk tea must be healthy.

They have the longest lifespan but that is because they spend a considerable number of years half dead but are still recorded as being alive.

A more accurate calculation would be to divide those half dead years by two.

So if some old fart lives till 80 but spent the last 15 years of his life unable to function independently then those last 15yrs/2 should be counted as 7.5 years.

65 + 7.5 = 72.5 yrs rather than 80.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

Mmol/mol? Is that the unit of measure for HBA1c in NZ?

Usually we use as a %. Eg 7%. 8% 6%

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Mmol/mol? Is that the unit of measure for HBA1c in NZ?

Usually we use as a %. Eg 7%. 8% 6%

The world is moving away from %. NZ has been using mmol/mol for the last 7 years.

https://freestylediabetes.co.uk/what-is-diabetes/what-makes-glucose-levels-rise-and-fall/HbA1c

HbA1c values have changed and are now reported as a measurement in mmols/mol instead of the percentage previously given. To make sense of the new units and compare these with old units and vice versa, use our HbA1c units converter table below.

Old unit = NGSP unit = %HbA1c

New unit = IFCC unit = mmol/mol

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
The world is moving away from %. NZ has been using mmol/mol for the last 7 years.

https://freestylediabetes.co.uk/what-is-diabetes/what-makes-glucose-levels-rise-and-fall/HbA1c

HbA1c values have changed and are now reported as a measurement in mmols/mol instead of the percentage previously given. To make sense of the new units and compare these with old units and vice versa, use our HbA1c units converter table below.

Old unit = NGSP unit = %HbA1c

New unit = IFCC unit = mmol/mol
Thanks Sam.
But really if all it does is convert a number to another on a table......

What advantage does it have over reporting as %?

Cheaper?

Otherwise sounds like just some administrative improvement program for the sake of change to make some pencil pushers look like they are doing something. Otherwise an added step for doctors to have to look at the table and say oh...yeah 36 equals 5.4 which is very good.

Lol

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Sam.
But really if all it does is convert a number to another on a table......

What advantage does it have over reporting as %?

Cheaper?

Otherwise sounds like just some administrative improvement program for the sake of change to make some pencil pushers look like they are doing something. Otherwise an added step for doctors to have to look at the table and say oh...yeah 36 equals 5.4 which is very good.

Lol
maybe they think it's easier to explain to a layperson like myself to understand as %.

Last edited:

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal

sam. sorry this question maybe too personal, but do you mind sharing which 8 years you saw that creep? for eg. 40-48, 48-56, 45-53? trying to look out for danger zone here. don't have to be too specific. late 40s to early 50s etc..

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
maybe they think it's easier to explain to a layperson like myself to understand as %.

Really you find mmol/mol easier to understand than %?

I think most lay people would think otherwise.

Also seldom do we refer to the units when talking about these levels. And because we are really looking at the trend of the levels it doesn't really matter which units you use.

It's a bit like saying oh my time for running the 100m is 15s vs 0.25 minutes or 0.004166h 5 years ago and now with training I am down to 0.16 minutes.

And then say oh we are moving away from using seconds to count the 100m times and using minutes.