• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Many people angry with Krafty

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
Vexed over cash-only taxi rides

TAXI commuters are up in arms over the reluctance of cabbies to accept any form of payment besides cash, despite the option of cashless forms of payment.

Irate commuters my paper spoke to say some drivers they encountered would persuade them to use cash or simply tell them that their Nets (Network for Electronic Transfers) machines were faulty or had been switched off.

In an incident early last Sunday morning, copywriter Cheryl Tan was lectured by a cabby after she asked to pay her $18.90 fare by Nets.

The 28-year-old told my paper that the cabby threw a fit and insisted that she pay cash. She said: "He told me that if I flag down a taxi late at night, I should ask first whether I could pay by Nets, as not every driver wants to accept payment that way."

His rationale: It was the weekend and he would have the money credited into his bank account only on Monday.

She said: "He implied that customers were inconsiderate when they asked to pay by Nets."

Another passenger, Ms Jean Andrews, 29, met a cabby who told her that his Nets machine was not switched on. He then insisted that she pay cash for her fare amounting to $18.

The marketing executive had called for a cab last Saturday from her home in Seletar to head to a mall in Orchard Turn.

In her phone call to make the taxi booking, she said that she had made it clear that she wanted to pay by Nets, because she did not have enough cash on her.

Ms Andrews said: "When I asked the driver to turn on the machine, he said that he accepted only cash."

She was so annoyed that she gave him all the cash she had on her, which was $10, and got off. "There are some cabbies who will complain, scold you or play dumb," she said.

ComfortDelGro, which operates Comfort and CityCab taxis, introduced the option of fare payment by Nets in 2006. It has also enabled customers to make fare payment using major credit cards since 1995.

According to previous reports, Nets payments account for about half of the cashless transactions for the company's 15,000 cabs.

SMRT taxis are not fitted with Nets machines, but offer ez-link and credit-card payment options for almost all of its 3,000 taxis.

TransCab implemented a new device in more than 90 per cent of its taxis last month. The device accepts payment via ez-link cards as well as major credit cards.

Ms Tammy Tan, group corporate- communications officer for ComfortDelGro, said all its cabbies have been told to accept cashless payment.

There has been "a definite increase in the demand for cashless transactions on our cabs over the years", said Ms Tan. Without giving figures, she added that commuter complaints over this issue "make up a very small percentage of all complaints" received.

An SMRT spokesman said the company offers regular promotions, such as giving out fuel vouchers, to encourage drivers to accept cashless payment.

"We also educate them about the reduction in security risks for cashless payment, due to less cash being handled," she said.

A taxi driver, who wanted to be known only as Mr Png, 50, said that he accepts all kinds of payment because "it is all the same". The system is very fast, he said, and he gets his money the next day.

"The company told us it is a must to accept cashless payment, but maybe older drivers are not very receptive because they want to see the cash in their hands," he said.

Another driver, Mr Sakrudin, 47, said he prefers cash, but does not resort to persuading or tricking his customers.

"It's better because we can take it straightaway. Also, I need cash every day to pay for the daily rental of my taxi and to pump diesel."

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
why angry? just copy down the taxi number and the driver's name, and write to their taxi company. if no reply immediately, can post internet youtube and etc. to make it big. at the end, gather all these, could write a book about this, and become popular.

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once at Changi Airport I boarded a taxi. When I got on, I told the taxi driver that I would be using the taxi voucher. The driver said he does not accept the voucher (even though the voucher is issued by his taxi company).

I got off and told the airport attendant at the taxi queue. The attendant then gestured the taxi to drive off without allowing any passenger in the queue to board his taxi. The attendant told me that there is no such thing as cannot accept taxi voucher. The attendant said, "I won't allow this kind of taxi here."

Then the taxi driver got out of his taxi and said, "Voucher ok, voucher ok."

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
haha...ya right! One reason I can think of is that sometimes the taxi companies screwed up the pay back amount to the drivers. It do happen like once in a while.

Krafty is best. You tell him no money no card no voucher also nevermind. :biggrin:

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think why taxi drivers do not like cashless system is because with cash they can get it immediately while for nets, visa etc, they have to wait for their companies to reimburse back to them.

There is nothing wrong with the system just how it is carried out is not suitable for taxi drivers who need the cash to roll for rentals.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually, I don't know what's wrong with the Singapore cashless payment system, not just for taxi. Many instances of minimum purchase to use card, even a few percent up to 10% to use card. I've never encountered this in the US. Even when online verification wasn't available, they'd gladly use their old fashioned zap machine to zap a charge slip with your card, no minimum purchase required, no extra charge.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, I don't know what's wrong with the Singapore cashless payment system, not just for taxi. Many instances of minimum purchase to use card, even a few percent up to 10% to use card. I've never encountered this in the US. Even when online verification wasn't available, they'd gladly use their old fashioned zap machine to zap a charge slip with your card, no minimum purchase required, no extra charge.

There is nothing wrong with the system, it's the reimbursement I supposed. And nets fee is quite high for vendors if I am not wrong.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is nothing wrong with the system, it's the reimbursement I supposed. And nets fee is quite high for vendors if I am not wrong.

Cashless payment system providers, Visa, MasterCard, Amex etc. can't be doing it for free in US or elsewhere too. It's the mindset of merchants and service providers. In the US, they look at increasing convenience and options for payment as a way of increasing business volume. In Singapore, they look at cashless transaction costs as a cut into their profit margins and delays in receiving cash.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cashless payment system providers, Visa, MasterCard, Amex etc. can't be doing it for free in US or elsewhere too. It's the mindset of merchants and service providers. In the US, they look at increasing convenience and options for payment as a way of increasing business volume. In Singapore, they look at cashless transaction costs as a cut into their profit margins and delays in receiving cash.

When you go Sim Lim Square, your bargaining power will be I pay cash got cheaper boh.

Vendors prefer receiving cash instead of nets visa amex because of the fees that cuts into their margins. I think it was in 2006,07 (can't recall) there was an increase in nets fees.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When you go Sim Lim Square, your bargaining power will be I pay cash got cheaper boh.

Vendors prefer receiving cash instead of nets visa amex because of the fees that cuts into their margins. I think it was in 2006,07 (can't recall) there was an increase in nets fees.

Go SLS? Always go with GMS. Put it on his account and settle later. Best bargain price, wholesale price at retail. :biggrin:

DarthRevan

Alfrescian
Loyal

sg merchants look at the short-term only..they just want to see "cold hard cash"..

for the cab drivers..most of them are living day-to-day..and will most likely feel more secured seeing real cash