• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Malaysian Bank Account

BusNo64

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bus, you got problem with TT, please go to TT politic threads. You can scold TT and me all you want there. Thanks.

why, u scared to let ppl know u r Phoney Tan's lapdog arh? :rolleyes: U r still a phoney tan's lapdog wherever u go :rolleyes:

iconchia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have you personal experience of being robbed or is this an opinion:confused:

Personal experience from a business I used to have in KL some years back. I shan't name the bank or the people in SSM (which is like ACRA in Singapore). Just RM 100K and you can see the greed in their eyes. The officer from SSM even suggested to me that I should pay him kopi money to expedite my case. I told him to fuck off and if I don't get my money back, I'll complain to Singapore High Comm immediately. In the end, it took two lawyer's letter and almost 1 year to get my money safely back to SG.

alvin36

Alfrescian
Loyal
can a normal Singaporean open a current or saving bank account in msia ?
how about apply credit card ?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I'm as normal a Sporean as you can get:smile:

Seems like there's been a change in attitude & the banks in Malaysia are now more open to Spore money.
Can buy property in JB(RM$500,000+), can open a trading account, can open a savings account,..:eek:

I can only speaks from my own personal experience & this week I opened a Malaysian Maybank savings account in JB. Don't know about chequing or credit card as I was not interested in those facilities. It's my observation that credit cards are not that popular in Malaysia, most merchants prefer cash.

All you need is your passport & IC. Take note that for Maybank you need to deposit an initial amount of RM$250 to activate the account. I've been told that once activated, you don't need to maintain any minimum.

standbybed69

Alfrescian
Loyal

why not ? i've been doin tat for many yrs. Bestest go open 1 with Citibank JB...open gold card acct got VIP free parking + personal banking facilities somemore. Also term deposit u gets more interest ( last x i got 3.7%). As for transfer of funds back to sin or other countries i've done tat n no problem. Safer than putting money in sin banks....many got cheated with those credit notes n no recourse for them. So wen pple say JB is dangerous its actually the opposite...in singapore u gets SCREWED but hv to keep quiet kekeke

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've never held a Malaysian account personally before but I recall that was during the period circa 1998-2002 when Malaysia imposed capital control after the Asian currency crisis that Singaporeans were not allowed to open new accounts. They didn't forcefully freeze or close existing accounts too. During that time, even crossing customs, cash currencies must be declared. Before and after that, Singaporeans can open accounts and apply for credit cards too.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Personal experience from a business I used to have in KL some years back. I shan't name the bank or the people in SSM (which is like ACRA in Singapore). Just RM 100K and you can see the greed in their eyes. The officer from SSM even suggested to me that I should pay him kopi money to expedite my case. I told him to fuck off and if I don't get my money back, I'll complain to Singapore High Comm immediately. In the end, it took two lawyer's letter and almost 1 year to get my money safely back to SG.

Should name & shame the establishment. I really don't understand Sporeans reluctance to give names of rotten companies:confused: If more people shared the names of these companies Sporeans wouldn't get played out.

In Malaysia RM$100k is a large amount. You can even buy a small house for that amount:eek:

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
why not ? i've been doin tat for many yrs. Bestest go open 1 with Citibank JB...open gold card acct got VIP free parking + personal banking facilities somemore. Also term deposit u gets more interest ( last x i got 3.7%). As for transfer of funds back to sin or other countries i've done tat n no problem. Safer than putting money in sin banks....many got cheated with those credit notes n no recourse for them. So wen pple say JB is dangerous its actually the opposite...in singapore u gets SCREWED but hv to keep quiet kekeke

Didn't see any Citibank branches in JB. Do they have any branches in JB:confused:

Me never see any Citi in JB before too? Where's that branch?

standbybed69

Alfrescian
Loyal
Didn't see any Citibank branches in JB. Do they have any branches in JB:confused:

Its on the building call City Plaza just b4 turning left to New York Hotel near the flyover, further up is Pelangi on the rgt. Its better to open a gold acct, got VIP parking just beside the bldg. Of course they will offer u all those credit cards n invite u for hi tea investment forums kekeke

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its on the building call City Plaza just b4 turning left to New York Hotel near the flyover, further up is Pelangi on the rgt. Its better to open a gold acct, got VIP parking just beside the bldg. Of course they will offer u all those credit cards n invite u for hi tea investment forums kekeke

Oh yes, that one. Now I remember. Used to pass by. How's the service charge?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Already got a Citi account in Spore. Maybe I'll open a Citi account in Bangkok if I decide to spend more time there. I've noticed that many of the local thai banks have problems with english.

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Already got a Citi account in Spore. Maybe I'll open a Citi account in Bangkok if I decide to spend more time there. I've noticed that many of the local thai banks have problems with english.

Thailand is alright. Only unlike Malaysia printing statements in Malay and English, they print in Thai only. As for staff, you speak in Chinese and they'll give you a Chinese staff. Mandarin/Teochew. I never open but got visited Bangkok Bank for some transaction.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thailand is alright. Only unlike Malaysia printing statements in Malay and English, they print in Thai only. As for staff, you speak in Chinese and they'll give you a Chinese staff. Mandarin/Teochew. I never open but got visited Bangkok Bank for some transaction.

A few years ago I had some free time & tried to open an account in Bangkok & I had different responses from "cannot" to "maybe":biggrin: The "maybe" was I think from the Bank of Bangkok which required a letter of introduction from the branch in Spore.

Didn't pursue it as I'm sure it's easier to do it through Citibank since I've already an account with them in Spore. I just wanted a safe place to park my left over baht from visiting LOS.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
What I mean is, can e.g. M'sia StanChart ATM card (also RM account) used at M'sia Maybank or CIMB etc. ATM and vice versa among each other?

Apologies, i wasn't clear but i meant yes, you can. Just have the cost of RM 1 when you use it at other banks ATM. Most (not all) are linked.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Oic have gold account and Citibank will offer credit card. Previously i checked with HSBC and was told foreigners cannot apply credit card in Malaysia unless have work permit. :biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
U can't open a thai acct unless u work in thailand, i've tried before.

Remember reading about someone who claimed he did opened an account in LOS? This was many years ago & in the "other" sammyboy forum. :smile:

You also have foreigners buying property in LOS.

However if it's so difficult to open a savings account, I'll only consider opening one if I decide to retire there.

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
A few years ago I had some free time & tried to open an account in Bangkok & I had different responses from "cannot" to "maybe":biggrin: The "maybe" was I think from the Bank of Bangkok which required a letter of introduction from the branch in Spore.

Didn't pursue it as I'm sure it's easier to do it through Citibank since I've already an account with them in Spore. I just wanted a safe place to park my left over baht from visiting LOS.

U can't open a thai acct unless u work in thailand, i've tried before.

Can lah. My cheong kaki opened an account with Bangkok Bank. The bank staff even asked me want to open one or not. I said sorry no thanks. Savings account and ATM card can, but current account with chequebook and credit card cannot unless got work permit. They also want Thai address and Thai phone. That's very easy. My friend bought a Thai SIM card and gave them hotel address. Don't have to worry about not receiving statements since savings account no statement. The bank just want a Thai address and phone number to fill up the forms. I didn't open account because I just cheong and fuckoff only. My friend opened account because he got "other" business there.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can lah. My cheong kaki opened an account with Bangkok Bank. The bank staff even asked me want to open one or not. ...

That's the Thailand I've come to expect:biggrin:

We Sporeans have been trained to "follow the rules". Looking at the trouble Temasek got into Thailand, Ho Ching & Co. weren't above breaking the rules :rolleyes:

PS: Which branch was this?

Last edited: