• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diaspora

Alfrescian
Loyal
Saw the MACs counter is back today at Jusco Bukit Indah.

Yeah...I was there and noticed it too... :smile:
Were you the one who bought tonnes of milk powder for the toddlers?

It was rather 'peaceful' and quiet at Jusco...really enjoyed the ambience. Wife had a curry hor fan at Old Town...and me a Nasi Lemak Rendang...fantastic !! :smile:

Then met up with a franchisor and three other 'potentials' for a QnA session at JCo for more than 2hours.
It was a very relaxing and casual session...Really enjoyed ourselves there. Wife even bought a pair of jeans for 50% discount....hahaha...:smile:

When we arrived back in Sg...it was so packed and hectic as it was the evening rush hour...
This brought us back down to earth. :(

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, is the subway opened yet? I'll call in tomorrow if they have opened :smile:

Yeah...I was there and noticed it too... :smile:
Were you the one who bought tonnes of milk powder for the toddlers?

It was rather 'peaceful' and quiet at Jusco...really enjoyed the ambience. Wife had a curry hor fan at Old Town...and me a Nasi Lemak Rendang...fantastic !! :smile:

Then met up with a franchisor and three other 'potentials' for a QnA session at JCo for more than 2hours.
It was a very relaxing and casual session...Really enjoyed ourselves there. Wife even bought a pair of jeans for 50% discount....hahaha...:smile:

When we arrived back in Sg...it was so packed and hectic as it was the evening rush hour...
This brought us back down to earth. :(

Diaspora

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow...looks like another BIG boy is expanding in Iskandar....all targeting Singaporeans...hahaha...

Big developers like Sunway got the financial muscles and connections to build and develop a whole new township and new interchange to the Second Link as well.

Should we save some of our bullets in anticipation of better offerings in future??

"Another source said there was also a plan for a new road linking the Sunway project in Iskandar to the Second Link in order to give Singaporeans better access to the development."

Friday March 2, 2012

Sunway eyes Iskandar expansion

By RISEN JAYASEELAN
[email protected]

Company aims to more than double its landbank in Medini Iskandar

PETALING JAYA: Sunway Bhd plans to more than double the size of its landbank in Medini Iskandar, raising it to around 2,000 acres from the already-announced acquisition of around 700 acres, industry sources said.

“The project will be a significant one and Sunway hopes to differentiate itself from other developments in Iskandar with a unique offering, targeting very much the Singapore market,” said one source.

“It will be more innovative than what Sunway has in Malaysia,” the source added.

Another source said there was also a plan for a new road linking the Sunway project in Iskandar to the Second Link in order to give Singaporeans better access to the development.

Sunway hopes to capitalise on its established brand name and its “Singapore connection” through the presence of the Government of Singapore Investment Corp (GIC) as one of its major shareholders since 1999.

An analyst said he was expecting the Iskandar project to be significant for Sunway's earnings going forward and was awaiting more details on their plans.

Last December, Sunway said it had entered into a joint venture with Khazanah Nasional Bhd to buy 276.4ha of land in Medini that would have an estimated gross development value (GDV) of RM12bil.

With the acqusition of the additional land, sources said the GDV of the project would be higher, at more than RM15bil.

The land is in Medini's Zone F, which is strategically located in the heart of Iskandar Malaysia.

It is about 10 minutes from Singapore via the Second Link Expressway and 25 minutes from the Senai International Airport.

The joint venture company, Semerah Cahaya Sdn Bhd, is in the midst of drawing up the masterplan for the project.

Sunway currently holds 38% in the joint venture but will increase it to 60% within 54 months from the date of the lease purchase agreement.

This integrated development project will be named Sunway Iskandar, and the first launch is expected in early 2013.

Sunway is required to pump in an initial equity investment of RM136.8mil, and will subscribe for shares in Semerah Cahaya for RM198mil in four tranches.

The first payment of RM49.5mil a year will start from the 18th month from the date of the lease purchase agreement.

Sunway already has a presence in Iskandar through its construction division which is undertaking three major construction jobs in Iskandar Malaysia, including Legoland, Pinewood Iskandar Malaysia Studios and the Central Utilities Facility at the Bio-XCell biotechnology park.

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/3/2/business/10840641&sec=business

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
They have done a really good job in sunway KL/subang. Whenever I go to KL, sunway pyramid ( on top of mid valley and pavilion) is a must for me. If they say that the sunway iskandar is gonna be bigger, grander, and more innovative, I believe this new giant landmark is surely something to look out for. We have a year to gather some bullets, hopefully the price will still be within the reach, as it will be the post tipping-point year ...

Wow...looks like another BIG boy is expanding in Iskandar....all targeting Singaporeans...hahaha...

Big developers like Sunway got the financial muscles and connections to build and develop a whole new township and new interchange to the Second Link as well.

Should we save some of our bullets in anticipation of better offerings in future??

"Another source said there was also a plan for a new road linking the Sunway project in Iskandar to the Second Link in order to give Singaporeans better access to the development."

Friday March 2, 2012

Sunway eyes Iskandar expansion

By RISEN JAYASEELAN
[email protected]

Company aims to more than double its landbank in Medini Iskandar

PETALING JAYA: Sunway Bhd plans to more than double the size of its landbank in Medini Iskandar, raising it to around 2,000 acres from the already-announced acquisition of around 700 acres, industry sources said.

“The project will be a significant one and Sunway hopes to differentiate itself from other developments in Iskandar with a unique offering, targeting very much the Singapore market,” said one source.

“It will be more innovative than what Sunway has in Malaysia,” the source added.

Another source said there was also a plan for a new road linking the Sunway project in Iskandar to the Second Link in order to give Singaporeans better access to the development.

Sunway hopes to capitalise on its established brand name and its “Singapore connection” through the presence of the Government of Singapore Investment Corp (GIC) as one of its major shareholders since 1999.

An analyst said he was expecting the Iskandar project to be significant for Sunway's earnings going forward and was awaiting more details on their plans.

Last December, Sunway said it had entered into a joint venture with Khazanah Nasional Bhd to buy 276.4ha of land in Medini that would have an estimated gross development value (GDV) of RM12bil.

With the acqusition of the additional land, sources said the GDV of the project would be higher, at more than RM15bil.

The land is in Medini's Zone F, which is strategically located in the heart of Iskandar Malaysia.

It is about 10 minutes from Singapore via the Second Link Expressway and 25 minutes from the Senai International Airport.

The joint venture company, Semerah Cahaya Sdn Bhd, is in the midst of drawing up the masterplan for the project.

Sunway currently holds 38% in the joint venture but will increase it to 60% within 54 months from the date of the lease purchase agreement.

This integrated development project will be named Sunway Iskandar, and the first launch is expected in early 2013.

Sunway is required to pump in an initial equity investment of RM136.8mil, and will subscribe for shares in Semerah Cahaya for RM198mil in four tranches.

The first payment of RM49.5mil a year will start from the 18th month from the date of the lease purchase agreement.

Sunway already has a presence in Iskandar through its construction division which is undertaking three major construction jobs in Iskandar Malaysia, including Legoland, Pinewood Iskandar Malaysia Studios and the Central Utilities Facility at the Bio-XCell biotechnology park.

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/3/2/business/10840641&sec=business

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Someone mentioned that the 2nd permas bridge is opened at last ... That would be such a good relief to the traffic there. It is expected that from permas jaya to ciq (using edl) would only take about 7 minutes. Cool bananas!

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not tried. But once u exit from ciq, u should drive straight past the traffic light and it will lead u to the edl. At the same traffic light, If u turn left, it will head to JB town. Does it make any sense to u?

Hmm. If traffics turn left is gg city square? So I go straight fr traffic , if turn right is gg pelangi right?

Last edited:

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
No no. Once u clear ciq, at the first traffic light, if u turn left, goes toward the shell. Go straight is towards permas jaya. U go straight and follow the permas jaya sign. That should lead u immediately into the edl. Anyway, I'm going there tomorrow, so I'll see what te real situation is ..

Hmm. If traffics turn left is gg city square? So I go straight fr traffic , if turn right is gg pelangi right?

Last edited:

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Singapore, foreigners can also become citizen by buying certain kind of house.. It is all money...

Bro,

Applying for Malaysia PR is not so easy especially if you dont have the 'kulit-fication' (kulit is skin in Malay).

One of my friend's ang moh husband, who is a PHd holder just got his MPR after more than 12years teaching in a government linked uni as a Associate Prof.

Can you believe that? And my friend is a PHd herself too...

Malaysia will give you a 'home' (MM2H) but definitely not PR or even citizenship so easily...unless you have the kulit-fication... :smile:

maxpark

Alfrescian
Loyal
Needless to say, I still love my country, but definitely not the government and also most of its people. Don't you find that many Singaporeans nowadays are too self-centered and snobbish? Probably the trend is being incarnated due to the pressurized living lifestyle.

Like they say, home is where the heart is. However, as I've told my wife before, if my next few years will be peaceful and meet with no mishaps here in Malaysia, I might even consider trying for a PR, although it will be difficult. After all, that was what I had in mind when I applied for my MM2H 3 years ago. That was also the time when I had given up all hopes for the PAP.

And eventually, if the PAP will still remain as adamant with their dictatorship ruling, I'll even consider to change my citizenship if my host country will accept me. Afterall, I don't have too much to lose, except for a HDB. In return, I get to retrieve all my CPF savings and coupled with my own savings, we should be able to comfortably live my remaining 20 odd more years before saying my sayonara.

If you're a chinese, you can forget about it... Your chances of being a PR or Malaysian citizen is practically zero.
Maybe can buy undertable but I dont think you should even consider it unless you're running from someone or the law.
So, no need so drama la bro, stay in Malaysia, keep your Sporean citizenship as it is still a valuable asset - at least no need apply visa to many foreign countries!

Btw, Malaysians from West Malaysia cannot take out their CPF, only those from East Malaysia are allowed, same rules as Sporeans apply, if I'm not mistaken.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
If you're a chinese, you can forget about it... Your chances of being a PR or Malaysian citizen is practically zero.
Maybe can buy undertable but I dont think you should even consider it unless you're running from someone or the law.
So, no need so drama la bro, stay in Malaysia, keep your Sporean citizenship as it is still a valuable asset - at least no need apply visa to many foreign countries!

Btw, Malaysians from West Malaysia cannot take out their CPF, only those from East Malaysia are allowed, same rules as Sporeans apply, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, very hard to. Our SG passport shine is waning though, used to be for many countries they will see SG passport and let you go. Now so many questions, even weird ones, my colleagues and friends who travels extensively shared that too. Travel to US requires ESTA for a while now yet now and the I have people who still insists our passport no need any form of application though you sent them links, they will not believe it. One time, someone explained as certain foreign folks used the passport to get to US for illegal activities. Not sure how true though but there seems to be more restrictions these days than in the past. Maybe also because post 911 scare.

West Malaysians will need to wait a number of years if they give up and no longer working in SG permanently. Else it's up to age 55 but then critical difference is they get full withdrawal while we get annuity....

Last edited:

maxpark

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Bros and Sis's,

This topic of Singaporean vs Malaysian (EP, social or SPR), was long coming wasn't it? It was the 'elephant in the room', and brewing underneath for too long. Good it comes out because unless we address it, we would never learn to integrate and live in harmony in JB, both sides of the causeway. I feel an important side of the story is lacking and would like to help make the situation of the Malaysian more balanced.

I am piggybacking on bro horizonhills comments because I think he explains well from the Singaporean side, why renounciation of citizenship in order to get a Malaysian one is stupid. Also if you are not ethnic Malay nor Muslim, your chances of obtaining Malaysian citizenship or even PR, are less than 10%, even if marry a Malaysian. Is that bad.

Now, from the view of the Malaysian (contary to hillside's uncalled-for smart-ass views). I am a Malaysian SPR. I will not renounce my Malaysian citizenship because the rule is, if I did, I would never be able to work in Malaysia again ever. This negative is simply too great. Singaporeans can work in Malaysia, contrary to what has been said. I work in an MNC and have employed Singaporeans in Malaysia on employment pass, same as the millions of foreigners working in Malaysia. And I strongly believe that in years to come, it will make it even more so easier for Singaporeans to work in Iskandar which they will make into a Special Economic Zone. So do you see why renounciation of Malaysian citizenship is not an option, for most Malaysians?

Like all the Malaysian SPR friends of mine, we are very grateful for the chance to earn a living in Singapore. Is a privilege that has to be earned. Not a right. We do not take it for granted and we choose to remain low-profile (but unfortunately evidently some do take it for granted and their negativity becomes high-profile). Many Singaporeans probably do not understand , let alone relate to the discrimination we face since young. Even if you did well, you could lose your spot in the top class to a lesser-performing Malay. Forget about securing a space in the local uni in a professional degree course. So Singaporeans should be thankful to the Gov, worts and all, for the superb education system.

I landed in Singapore like a person who have lost more than half his worth. One time, when I was on EP, my job was insecure, yet had to take leave to queue outside school overnight for a P1 space for my kid in Phase 3 for foreigners. It was raining heavily that night. Liquidating Malaysian assets and converting cash to bring over to Singapore to make a start, lost me more than half my accumulated worth because RMs are 2.5 times less than SGD. From relative luxury of owning simple house in KL to renting a small apartment in Singapore is quite a shock to the system. No parents support system. Those with kids can understand the toughness and loneliness of that. But we grit out teeth and do it. When it came time to try buy a HDB, the Gov changed rules etc.... got to deal with that too. Another thing for the Singaporean to be thankful for, ie HDB grants & ownership of a precious asset which is effectively a gift to its married citizens from the Gov.

It was very hard to think of retirement, let alone survival in one of the most expensive cities in the world. Then came Iskandar. It gave a glimmer of hope. I quick saw that it made a whole lot of sense and this time with the new heads in Gov of Malaysia and Singapore, and execution of Iskandar more impressive than what I have ever seen in Malaysia. Plus I have studied the HK-Shenzhen-Guangzhou model that succeeded beyond expectations. Iskandar will be same. Tg Pagar was the most important milestone.

This forum (and can't thank bro wuqi enough) was the catalyst for me to invest in my retirement home that would place me near enough to my kids in the future as likely they will become Singaporeans and contribute to the country, as I am doing now as well, as a Malaysian SPR.

I pay my taxes to IRAS religously, my kids will do NS, I shop at the local markets & malls, I let go of an expensive useless ang moh at work and in the process freed up enough budget to hire three Singaporeans. Also am Management guiding my company to better success here and hiring even more Singaporeans in our expansion drive. Whether I am FT or not, I pay my dues. A life for a Malaysian SPR and Malaysian Chinese is tough. Singaporeans have it easier. Then again, grass is always greener on the other side. I hope Singaporeans can understand better now the majority silent part of the Malaysian SPR story.

And when I stay in JB in the future, for sure I will make the effort to help someone like sis crystal to find her way around JB, and become the bridge to integrate easier into the Malaysia way of life. IN many ways this forum is helping that as well. I am dedicated to this forum because I would like to help people discover this gem and make the informed decision to invest, as I myself have benefited from it. Not forgetting I am still a Malaysian and thankful to the Malaysian Gov as is where I grew up.

In the end of the day whether Malaysian or Singaporean, lets just be glad that our common ancestors ran away from Southern China and went thru hardship so we can be better off than if remained in China.

Bro, as a fellow Malaysian SPR, I hear you and identified with many things you mentioned above.

I have certainly paid my dues too (plus taxes!) and after 25 years in Singapore, I have to say that it has been a pretty decent ride.
Having traveled, worked and lived in many countries in Asia over the years, I can safely conclude that for me personally, Singapore is really the best place to live and thrive.
Living or investing in JB or Malaysia is just the extra topping.

In most countries around the world, it's safe to say that only the top 5-10% will be able to invest in any properties overseas.
I would say most middle class Singaporeans can do so, next door, in a nice place like JB... so lets not forget the this and remember to count your blessings.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Thanks to Wuqi. I finally take up the courage to get a unit at Horizon Hill. Property in JB is very hot and it will get hotter. My wife friend's who is a malaysian PR has bought a few units in Nusajaya area. I believe he and his buddy have also bought a few units at Nusa Duta. It seams some of my Singaporean friend's are still worried about the safety issue in JB. I read this year will be the "turning point" but wait till 2018 when the MRT is ready. I am buying now because I'm afraid I will not be able to afford one when I retire. It seems shop houses at even 1.3-1.4mil are even in greater demand. Thanks everybody for sharing. I will hunting for loan deal soon.

Congrats and well done. Welcome to the neighbourhood. :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Tough ...

Bro, what if the husband is a Malaysian, will his foreign wife get a MPR easier?

Same thing, tough to get unless you have connections, even if you are willing to pay good money. Other countries PRs are so hard to get, not just for MY. Only SG pr is worth less than USED toilet paper.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Bro, as a fellow Malaysian SPR, I hear you and identified with many things you mentioned above.

I have certainly paid my dues too (plus taxes!) and after 25 years in Singapore, I have to say that it has been a pretty decent ride.
Having traveled, worked and lived in many countries in Asia over the years, I can safely conclude that for me personally, Singapore is really the best place to live and thrive.
Living or investing in JB or Malaysia is just the extra topping.

In most countries around the world, it's safe to say that only the top 5-10% will be able to invest in any properties overseas.
I would say most middle class Singaporeans can do so, next door, in a nice place like JB... so lets not forget the this and remember to count your blessings.

You forgot to mention also those who came out here to avoid the high cost, etc. not everyone who came out here is an investor or have the means to invest. Many and I can say many as they PMed me asking for help to get lowest rental and how to buy with the little that they have. In the end 2 families shared to buy 1 terrace here.

Thanks for paying your dues too, I know some will ask you, did you do NS but I won't as quite a few don't even have the decency to work and pay back their bonds after getting free scholarship. Absconding and what can we do about it? International extradition treaty for those who break their bonds? Bro Maxpark, everyone needs to count the blessings that their country gives them, not only Singaporeans. Only those who cared and sacrificed the most knows the deepest depths of disappointments.

Yes, let us praise.
Praise them who helped to make life of those poor and middle classed miserable, who ignored the plights of the people and made them leave their own country to seek the shelter of another. Really must be thankful as the tough love they gave only made us stronger.

We must thank them when we break the bread here because at least we still get to eat bread instead of having to pick cans and bottles to survive in SG.

Someone even posted in this forum to show them beggars and those who are homeless,etc in SG. Yes indeed there are no poor in SG, all those meals on wheels charity stuff is fake. Only middle class and rich appears to inhabit Singapore. Everyone should be grateful. All hail.

Last edited:

maxpark

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, very hard to. Our SG passport shine is waning though, used to be for many countries they will see SG passport and let you go. Now so many questions, even weird ones, my colleagues and friends who travels extensively shared that too. Travel to US requires ESTA for a while now yet now and the I have people who still insists our passport no need any form of application though you sent them links, they will not believe it. One time, someone explained as certain foreign folks used the passport to get to US for illegal activities. Not sure how true though but there seems to be more restrictions these days than in the past. Maybe also because post 911 scare.

West Malaysians will need to wait a number of years if they give up and no longer working in SG permanently. Else it's up to age 55 but then critical difference is they get full withdrawal while we get annuity....

Never been to USA, never had the need or inclination, so I wont comment but I have heard the stories.
I carry a Malaysian passport and only in Europe, did I ever get questions... but thats Europe for you.
Friends from Indian or China or MidEast passport, have a far far higher chances of getting asked.

Personally, I dont have any issues with officers asking to see a return ticket or letter of invitation, etc.
They are well within their rights to do so and if it takes a couple of minutes longer, so be it.
I dont think they want to do it for the sake of doing it but I am certain that profiling is part and parcel of their job description.

Concluding, I can safely say Spore passport is still the Asian gold standard for international travelers, high up therer with Japan, USA, most Western Europeans...

Thanks on the info on CPF for West Malaysians, good to know.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have respect for my our finance minister mr Tharma..
However when he said $S1k income is sufficient to buy HDB in Singapore.. I am thinking what happen to him? Don't need to eat, pay water, electricity and transport meh? A bunch of idiots talking and acting in parliament...
People want to tell the world bad things so that they can do sometime about it.. How can they everything paint such a picture as if telling the story of emperor without clothes? The Orr Sim Dr Susan Lim just sold her sentosa house for record $36m.. How these crooke make so much dead people money and I really don't understand... It also show no one will find money enough... So to pay govt till they won't corrupt is something not practical. It just make them talking more cocks and pretending everything is good so they have time to make more money for whom? If not because of social media, they are still enjoying their pensions and drawing million pay and bonus..

You forgot to mention also those who came out here to avoid the high cost, etc. not everyone who came out here is an investor or have the means to invest. Many and I can say many as they PMed me asking for help to get lowest rental and how to buy with the little that they have. In the end 2 families shared to buy 1 terrace here.
Thanks for paying your dues too, I know some will ask you did you do NS but I won't as quite a few don't even have the decency to work and pay back their bonds. Absconding and what can we do about it? International extradition treaty for those who break their bonds? Bro Maxpark, everyone needs to count the blessings that their country gives them, not only Singaporeans. Only those who cared and sacrificed the most knows the deepest depths of disappointments.

Yes, let us praise.
Praise them who helped to make life of those poor and middle classed miserable, who ignored the plights of the people and made them leave their own country to seek the shelter of another. Really must be thankful as the tough love they gave only made us stronger.

We must thank them when we break the bread here because at least we still get to eat bread instead of having to pick cans and bottles to survive in SG.

Someone even posted in this forum to show them beggars and those who are homeless,etc in SG. Yes indeed there are no poor in SG, all those meals on wheels charity stuff is fake. Only middle class and rich appears to inhabit Singapore. All hail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.