• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lim Hwee Hua is 2009 Woman of the Year. LOL!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=452><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=452 colSpan=2>Published April 24, 2010
c.gif

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=452 colSpan=2>Lim Hwee Hua is 2009 Woman of the Year
She's honoured for developing female leaders, achievements in workplace and work-life balance

By FELDA CHAY
SHE made history by becoming Singapore's first female minister - breaking the glass ceiling that many thought existed for women in politics.

<TABLE class=picBoxL cellSpacing=2 width=100 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR class=caption><TD>WINNERS ALL
Mrs Lim (centre), Her World Woman of the Year 2009, with the winners of the Her World Young Woman Achiever award, which was presented to the six-member Singapore Women's Everest Team.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>And now Lim Hwee Hua, Minister in the Prime Minister's Office and Second Minister for Finance and Transport, can tuck another accolade under her belt: Woman of the year.
The 51-year-old was named the Her World Woman of the Year 2009 in recognition of her work to develop female leaders in the private and public sectors, her achievements in the workplace and ability to maintain a work-life balance.
The annual award is in its 19th year. Given out by SPH Magazines under the banner of Her World, it recognises Singapore women who have made an outstanding contribution to society, whether in their profession, the arts, business, politics, community service or sports, and who are an inspiration and a role model for other women.
Knowing that it was hard for women to overcome common stereotypes in the workplace did not stop Mrs Lim from trying to break the invisible barrier commonly thought to hold women back from top management and political positions.
'Men will always step up even if they're not the most competent for the post. Women tend to do a lot more self-examination,' she said. 'In her hesitation, her superior might form the conclusion that she is not as interested, and it becomes a missed opportunity for her. But I've learned never to underestimate my own capabilities. If I think I have a fair chance of making it good, I just go for it.'
This go-getter attitude, however, has never impeded her ability to be a mother and wife. When her husband decided to do an MBA in the United States in 1987, Mrs Lim took a two-year hiatus from work to follow him abroad and care for their two young children.
Now, even as she has risen to become a minister, this family-oriented mindset remains. The mother of three makes it a point to have dinner with her family as often as possible, even if that means making a quick trip home before attending an event later in the night. Last year, to develop female leaders in the private and public sectors, Mrs Lim launched a programme called the Young Women's Leadership Connection (YWLC) with Swiss bank UBS, in which community involvement is a critical element.
'I didn't want a network that only focused on careers,' said Mrs Lim. 'Community work must be one aspect of it.' She has been mentoring four women through YWLC since March last year.
Another award - Her World Young Woman Achiever, which recognises women below the age of 35 for their work and potential to attain a higher level of success - was presented to Singapore Women's Everest Team. The six-member team is Singapore's first all-women mountaineering team. In May last year, five of the six members reached the summit of Mount Everest, with teammate Sim Yi Hui having to give up because of chest pains.
The team was formed in 2004. While all six women are not professional mountaineers, their aim to challenge personal assumptions and self-imposed boundaries got them through.
This was despite the many challenges in their way - having to raise $500,000 for the climb and going through a tough training regime - six days a week, climbing stairs up to 30 storeys high with 2.5kg weights tied to each ankle and carrying a backpack weighing between 15kg and 18kg.
The team also conquered six peaks in countries such as New Zealand and Tibet as part of their training.
Said team leader Jane Lee: 'We are not out to make a feminist statement. We have five other Everest teams in Singapore, yet there is not a single woman climber in there. Hence, we formed this team, hoping to provide a platform for women climbers.'
According to adventurestats.com, fewer than 10 women have successfully climbed Mount Everest in the past decade.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
>>'Men will always step up even if they're not the most competent for the post. Women tend to do a lot more self-examination,' she said.<<

In other words she is saying men thick skin. If don't know pls don't geh kiam! :rolleyes:

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I wonder if they included the long term investments by Temasek and GIC when reviewing her achievements?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why should a bureaucrat get an award :confused:

Whatever they achieve is carried out by the civil servants. The Spore gov't also lacks any transparency so any problems are swept under the carpet. So how to tell they are doing any 'good' :confused:

gone4good

Alfrescian
Loyal
The annual award is in its 19th year. Given out by SPH Magazines under the banner of Her World -------when i see this statement, i know this award is nothing but an empty shell, worthless and does not carry any weight and any Ah Lian, Ah Huai can get it if they are pro Govt so this is nothing surprise to me. I believed there are many other capable women out there who are much more competent than her.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SPH thru the banner of Her World is trying to por lum par .... or should it be por C B ? :p

Seriously, Mrs Lim Hwee Hua is not that impressive - though nominally a 'minister in the Prime Minister's Office', her public persona is framed through her past profile in engaging her Serangoon residents when they protested the siting of foreign worker's dorm as well as making sweeping comments on public transport when she has no inkling of that form of transport in aeons ! Also, her frequent defence of Temasek & GIC performance in parliament ....

jw5

Loyal
For goodness sake, give the award to someone who has done some good for her fellow human beings, without getting anything in return.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For goodness sake, give the award to someone who has done some good for her fellow human beings, without getting anything in return.

That's right! Considering that she is so highly paid and a bureaucrat too, what exactly has she achieved in person? Imho, just so-so, nothing that great & noteworthy other than being the first this, first that.:biggrin::biggrin: