• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

LEONGSAM insists he is an English native speaker...

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
But the "twit" is most likely a 100% "chink" whether he likes it or not. Real Englishmen would probably laugh their heads off at this chinaman going around correcting the English of others. Better yet, the moron keeps on insisting he is a true English native speaker just because he speaks the language at home! So maybe Nigerians, Pinoys, Indians, can also claim they are native speakers as they only speak English?

If his English is so "powderful", which part of the word "native" does he not understand?

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
English native speaker means a person who was brought up in an English speaking Family, A person's whose 1st language is English.

It has nothing to do with Race. It doesnt matter if a Cheena Bukit or ah neh goes around correcting another person's English, But take note he is not correcting a Bunch of Englishmen but a bunch of people who speaks Singlish.

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So maybe Nigerians, Pinoys, Indians, can also claim they are native speakers as they only speak English?

I am pretty sure that Nigerians , pinoys and indians speaks their own mother tongue at home and to their relatives and friends, not english.

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i think he is an expert in english and singlish. his expertise in giving advise to people who want to advice others is legendary.he has a phD on the exclusive use of the words advise and advice. i salute his mastery of his native english. we sinkies with our sicklish and singlishare dead ducks in the world of linguistics. we are dead.dead.dead.....

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
A Native speaker is one who grows up speaking the language of his or her mother tongue - the language of his or her ancestors. So if you are a Japanese, you may have been brought up in an English-speaking home and could speak the English language well enough to have the competency level of an English native speaker but you will never be an English native speaker simply because you are a Japanese and not an English.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no no no, what about amercian japanese, one who is born in japan, move to USA when baby, then brought up to speak english only, he is an english native speaker.

maybe samleong is one, who knows, i do not know him personally, no one here know too right. He could be a english native speaker brought up in australia, but back to sinkieland to do NS, then run back to Australia after that.

If that is so, he is an english native speaker.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't mind the extra English tutorial sessions that the Boss gave us here...

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am pretty sure that Nigerians , pinoys and indians speaks their own mother tongue at home and to their relatives and friends, not english.

I come from an English speaking family too, Everyone speaks in English and I consider that as my 1st language as i have been speaking in English ever since i started stringing words together. But my grammar and spelling at times can be horrendous, As i speak in Singlish online, and to all my friends and have problem switching over at times plus i also tend to type really fast and make lots of spelling errors thus using Auto-correct blindly and that makes things worst. My spelling is another problem.

P.s I know quite a no. of my friends whom speaks in English at home but many of them tend to be either Malay or Indians. My group of Malay friends are all English speaking and they speak in English with one another.

Last edited:

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
A Native speaker is one who grows up speaking the language of his or her mother tongue - the language of his or her ancestors. So if you are a Japanese, you may have been brought up in an English-speaking home and could speak the English language well enough to have the competency level of an English native speaker but you will never be an English native speaker simply because you are a Japanese and not an English.

You are confusing yourself, There is a difference between an Englishman and an English Native speaker. An English native speaker means a person who comes from an English speaking family and considers that his 1st language. It can also mean coming from a country that considers its main language to be English etc. Singapore.

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

i never heard of such definition. where did you get that?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
A native speaker is someone who speaks a language as his or her first language or mother tongue. Native speakers can usually speak the language very well since they speak the language since they were born. A native speaker's language is normally the language their parents speak and the language of the country they live in since birth.

It is also a term used to describe native English-speaking language instructors who teach eglish in non-english speaking countries. There is an organization called NativeSpeaker nativespeaker.org which promotes the development of English speaking instructors and the learning of English.

wiki said i am right you are wrong, a japanese amercian is a native english speaker.

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
I come from an English speaking family too, Everyone speaks in English and I consider that as my 1st language as i have been speaking English ever since i started stringing words together. But my grammar and spelling at times can be horrendous, As i speak in Singlish online, and to all my friends and have problems switching over at times plus i also tend to type really fast and make lots of spelling error thus using Auto-correct blindly and that makes things worst.

P.s I know quite a no. of my friends whom speaks in English at home but many of them tend to be either Malay or Indians. My group of Malay friends are all English speaking and they speak in English with one another.

Yes, we may be brought up in an English-speaking home or environment but we cannot claim to be English "native speakers". We may use English all the time or even speak near-perfect English but it is not our mother tongue defined as the language used by our ancestors. Many of my American friends don't even claim to be English native speakers because their ancestors are not English.

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, we may be brought up in an English-speaking home or environment but we cannot claim to be English "native speakers". We may use English all the time or even speak near-perfect English but it is not our mother tongue defined as the language used by our ancestors. Many of my American friends don't even claim to be English native speakers because their ancestors are not English.

You are confusing yourself with language, mother tongue and race.

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal

I need to be corrected as well. Speaking good fluent English is very important in terms of how people look at you and much more important when you 1st come into contact with a stranger. "1st impression last a life time"

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talking about "native speakers" which a Linguistic professor spend an hour or two two lecture on. Anyway I like the word 'twit'. Its a four letter word and only a div thinks it a compliment.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are confusing yourself with language, mother tongue and race.

His stance is chauvinistic. Mother tongue as defined in Singapore is Mandarin whereas we all know that is not true. Mother tongue can be a Chinese dialect, Malay, Tamil or English depending on the common language spoken from birth.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Note that they do not advertise for an Englishman but a Native english speaker for obvious reasons. If they wanted Englishman, they would have done so.

It is a common misunderstanding.