• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Indranee to address Speaker Tan Chuan-Jin’s hot mic incident at next Parliament sitting

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
um9C5zH.gif

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...s-hot-mic-incident-at-next-parliament-sitting
Screenshot-2023-07-14-051309.png

SINGAPORE – Leader of the House Indranee Rajah will address Speaker of Parliament Tan Chuan-Jin’s comment caught on a hot mic at the next sitting of Parliament in August.

“As this matter concerns parliamentary conduct, I will address it at the next parliamentary sitting,” said Ms Indranee in response to questions from The Straits Times.

Her remarks come after a video of Mr Tan started circulating earlier this week. In it, he is heard muttering “****ing populist” on the microphone during the first day of debate on the President’s Address on April 17.

This was after Workers’ Party MP Jamus Lim finished a speech of about 20 minutes on doing more to help lower-income groups here.

On Tuesday morning, Mr Tan said in a Facebook post that he had to listen to the recording as he “did not recall the occasion”. He said he had apologised to Associate Professor Lim for using “unparliamentary language”.

“When I listen to speeches made, like everyone, I do form views on them. What was said were my private thoughts which I had muttered to myself and not to anyone,” said Mr Tan.

“However I should not have expressed them aloud or in unparliamentary language, and I apologise for that. I have also spoken to (Prof Lim)... to make that apology as well, which he has kindly accepted.”

Prof Lim commented on Mr Tan’s post, saying the Speaker had called him and that he accepted the apology.

Singapore Management University’s associate professor of law Eugene Tan noted that the matter had aroused “significant public interest”.

Since the video was released, netizens online have raised questions about the Speaker’s conduct and whether he should continue to preside over proceedings.

Ms Indranee’s move to address the matter shows there is “sufficient gravity” to the language that was used by the Speaker, added Prof Tan.

He said: “In my view, he has been sufficiently embarrassed and chastised. He will probably make a statement after Ms Indranee’s comments.”

Prof Tan said he did not expect Ms Indranee’s statement to be a “precursor” to a major censure, such as the Speaker being referred to the Committee of Privileges, for example. The committee looks into alleged breaches of parliamentary privilege or any matter affecting the powers and privileges of Parliament.

“The Speaker’s conduct cannot be condoned, but there are also other significant matters that Parliament needs to give its time to.”
-----------

Last edited:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
“As this matter concerns parliamentary conduct, I will address it at the next parliamentary sitting,” said Ms Indranee in response to
Pfft.. Her own conduct in parliament had been far from exemplary.

So who's gonna address her bitchy outburst during that exchange with NMP Leong?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Pfft.. Her own conduct in parliament had been far from exemplary.

So who's gonna address her bitchy outburst during that exchange with NMP Leong?

Oppie Leong can always refer her to the Committee of Privileges if he feels she behaved in an unparliamentary manner.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"When I listen to speeches made, like everyone, I do form views on them. What was said were my private thoughts which I had muttered to myself and not to anyone,” said Mr Tan.

Stating that it is just an issue of unparliamentary language is downplaying the major wrongdoing. The Speaker showed that he is incapable of performing that role. Tan failed the major tests of being unbais as well as lack of self-restrained.
You don't get a second chance - he has to resign or be forced out. Let's see what Indranee will do.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey TCJ, you know what is the nemesis of a 'fucking populist'?

A 'scholarly leech'.

One that is so well educated, they're too cowardly to get out of their comfort zone because they will never be able to earn those salaries in the real world using their abilities without pulling strings.