• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Leeporter See Beh Proud of Being NSman!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>
icon.aspx
Coffeeshop Chit Chat - he just a A soldier obeying his orders!</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right>
icon.aspx
Subscribe </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF noWrap align=right width="1%">From: </TD><TD class=msgFname noWrap width="68%">madmansg <NOBR></NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate noWrap align=right width="30%">3:54 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT noWrap align=right width="1%" height=20>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname noWrap width="68%">ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (1 of 16) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%" rowSpan=4> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>7804.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>
Nicholas Yong
Reporter
Committed to my country
February 23, 2009 Monday, 04:50 PM
Nic Yong gets a medal and muses on the importance of NS.
SAF GAVE me a medal last week.
Unfortunately, it wasn’t for any particular act of heroism that I had performed.
Instead, the SAF Good Service Medal is awarded to all NSmen who have completed two years of full-time National Service and 3 High-Key In-Camp Training (ICT) programmes.
So my latest ICT, which took place last week, effectively marked the halfway point in my 10-year reservist cycle.
There was the usual banter throughout, especially at the range, where some of us re-defined the term "bobo shooter", for someone who is consistently unable to hit the target.
At one point, some of us were carrying heavy equipment in a wooden crate shaped rather like a coffin. Predictably enough, someone started wailing and yelling the name of one of our platoonmates, as if we were at a funeral.
Then at the end of the ICT, we came to the presentation of medals, which is always a rowdy affair.
We received our awards to cries of "sign on!" and "extend reservist!"
Those who got medals marking the end of their reservist cycle got the loudest applause, with cheers of "MR (Mindef Reserve) loh!"
Servicemen in the MR no longer need to be called back for ICT, but are still liable for NS until they reach the statutory age of 40 for non-officers and 50 for officers.
In spite of the fact that most servicemen have never really come close to actual combat, one does feel a strange sense of pride at receiving an award like this.
Call it a rite of passage, or simply the knowledge that you are one step closer to the end of your 10-year cycle. You simply feel that you have paid your dues.
Amidst the endless arguments about the meaning of citizenship and nationhood, it seems telling that NS is a requirement for the children of new emmigrants to obtain citizenship.
Does citizenship need to be earned? Many argue that it is the gift that keeps on giving with all the special privileges that you benefit from in perpetuity in the form of tax breaks, GST credits, and so on.
They add that it should not be given away cheaply, with NS the key factor in determining how committed one is to the Republic.
In my case, I see it simply as performing another role: A soldier obeying his orders
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
<TABLE id=msgUN cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>
icon.aspx
Coffeeshop Chit Chat - he just a A soldier obeying his orders!</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right>
icon.aspx
Subscribe </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"></TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF noWrap align=right width="1%">From: </TD><TD class=msgFname noWrap width="68%">madmansg <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgDate noWrap align=right width="30%">3:54 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT noWrap align=right width="1%" height=20>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname noWrap width="68%">ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right>(1 of 16) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%" rowSpan=4></TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>7804.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>
Nicholas Yong
Reporter
Committed to my country

In my case, I see it simply as performing another role: A soldier obeying his orders

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Yeah, as usual, he obeyed his masters and wrote such a rosy picture about NS in Singapore for the Sinkie Times.

What honour or pride, when I reached MR, I only found out on record I suspose to get the 2 Good Service award. They never bother to award servicemen but they were keen to boost statistics.

If the SAF is so passionate about honour and pride, these awards should be conducted in a more formal manner and presented by a minister better then being thrown to servicemen like people handling out freebies in the streets like that in a makeshift ceremony.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
>Nicholas Yong
Reporter
Committed to my country
February 23, 2009 Monday, 04:50 PM
Nic Yong gets a medal and muses on the importance of NS.
SAF GAVE me a medal last week.
Unfortunately, it wasn’t for any particular act of heroism that I had performed.
Instead, the SAF Good Service Medal is awarded to all NSmen who have completed two years of full-time National Service and 3 High-Key In-Camp Training (ICT) programmes.
So my latest ICT, which took place last week, effectively marked the halfway point in my 10-year reservist cycle.
>

SAF gave me medals, one for what service (NS) and the other for RESERVIST. I never collected them, for reasons at that time I am already working at a CAREER, the other thing was, I have to go in No., & the HQ was so darn far way; one have to take a taxi there & back.

Those days, MRT lines had not started & bus services to the camp was lousy, I have to spend, time & money to collect those medals.

Anyway, I did call the camp clerk to find out if the medals came with MONEY, and was told no!. I told them to keep the medals...

They should give Nicholas my medals, since he loved them so much...!!:biggrin:

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
The medal I received was taken from the store from dun know which S1 store. When being given, there is a layer of dust so thick I wanted to throw away. To wash also hard to clean it away. Anyway already dun know where I strewn it.

To say proud, maybe and maybe not. Still cannot think of a logic reason why should I stake in my life while other had do not.:confused:

Blazars

Alfrescian
Loyal
Honestly, I am more proud of the medals/badges i received during my sec scout days than watever medal i recv fr saf. Anyway, i wont get to recv any medals fr saf in future. I got downgraded after my 2nd ict. I am happy!
!&!!