• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lee Wei Ling & her sis-in-law fighting?

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm only talking about totem pole generally, as far as I understand it. What she or her sis-in-law or whoever thinks, I don't know. If I know, I'd be a millionaire.

One thing is for sure, if you can manage to marry her, you will be a millionaire!

HAHA!

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
this one also another one out of touch with her audience.

what totem botem bole? writing for ST use local english lah. not writing for IHT or Economist u noe? next time should just say 'my sis-in-laws see me no up'.

may be she is trying to say my sis-in-laws treat me like a pinay pole dancer?

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're a typical sinkie twit! One that spends half his life on the internet but doesn't have a clue how to use the web for his own benefit.

If you don't understand what being "at the bottom of the totem pole" means, simply do a search for "totem pole" and do some research for yourself.:rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totem_pole

"Vertical order of images is widely believed to be a significant representation of importance. This idea is so pervasive that it has entered into common parlance with the phrase "low man on the totem pole." This phrase is indicative of the most common belief of ordering importance, that the higher figures on the pole are more important or prestigious."

Alamak, why use such chim England in ST? If want to write for ST, must use Sinkie's parlance lah. Just say, "my sis-in-laws treat me like a chao recruit at home"...

See? The meaning is so clear....

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
Time & illness destroy the physical form invariably......

Prof-Lee-Wei-Ling.jpg

and below, a picture in the 70s when she accompany her parents on their first visit to China. Also in pix, Dr Ahmad Mattar, SR Nathan & Ngiam Thong Dow....... Wei Ling was like any young gal in her 20s though no beauty then but still ok lah...

Actually, she was a sad case. She was in love with a Sri Lankan man but LKY forbade their relationship.... Sad... now she herself is almost dying but got no children to send her off, she must be hating her father now...

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
i don't think so any1 will want to marry that monster though.

Aiyah... nebermind lah... money cum 1st lah... must follow PAP leaders footstep mah...

Marry only lah... no need to sleep together wat.... can always sleep in separate rooms wat.... HAHHA!

Lee Hsien Tau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alamak, why use such chim England in ST? If want to write for ST, must use Sinkie's parlance lah. Just say, "my sis-in-laws treat me like a chao recruit at home"...

She should write that 'she's bottom in the domestic pecking order'.

Like that her England can still be respectably cheem and yet understandable.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>29320.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>Feb 28, 2010

Being the Panda's daughter

Regardless of how I'm perceived by people, I will continue to do what is right and just

<!-- by line -->By Lee Wei Ling

Recently, I have been asked to give talks, or just to meet and greet certain 'VIPs', more often than before. This is probably due to the fact that I began writing regularly for this newspaper in 2008.

I have no doubt that when my name is heard, it is almost immediately followed by the thought, 'she is LKY's daughter'. I suspect many readers first read me because they were curious about LKY's daughter, how she thought and felt, especially since some perceived me as anti-establishment.

I am Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew's daughter and I am proud of him. That does not mean I need to agree with every decision the Cabinet makes.

But I am not anti-establishment either. On the contrary, I would like the establishment to make decisions that are correct for Singapore. When it makes a decision that I think is unwise, I try to give feedback and hopefully persuade the authorities to reconsider their position. Why else would I, a neurologist, agree to be part of the roster for the Think-Tank column in The Straits Times or write in this space roughly every fortnight? I hope that by now people read me because they find what I write interesting and educational. (kojakbt: as you can see, it's the ST fellas who want to "sarkar" her...)

As for my family, I am aware that I am perceived by outsiders - including some members of my extended family - to be at the bottom of the totem pole among my nuclear family, including both my sisters-in-law. This does not upset me.

We all have our own roles in society. I chose a role that is relatively low-profile, but which gives me satisfaction since I am able to help and comfort my patients. The psychological rewards of being a doctor are almost immediate versus the longer timeframes for a public policy or business decision to bear fruit.

But perceptions, whether accurate or not, do affect how people react to me. Many people think I have a 'godfather'. But as my staff at the National Neuroscience Institute know, events last year proved that my family connections do not give me special protection.

Others may believe that I am powerful and have special privileges. But I am influential only if I, like any other writer, can persuade Singaporeans to a particular point of view.

As for special privileges, what are they? Well, I can use the Istana grounds, as I have since my childhood. But it has been a while since I used the Istana grounds to jog or exercise, though I do take friends there for a walk once or twice a year.

But perceptions, as I said, do matter. I know many people do not treat me the way they would treat others. I try to put them at ease by treating them as equals. In discussions, some who do not know me well may defer to me though I actually prefer robust debate. I cannot know everything, and most certainly cannot be right on every occasion.

'Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story,' the Desiderata urges us. I have a strong egalitarian streak, so I naturally would listen to the 'dull and ignorant'.

Just this past week, a friend of mine sent me a report from The Economist of a study of OECD countries: 'One of the reasons people try to get ahead is to boost their children's chances in life. And indeed the children of the well-off and well-educated earn more and learn more than their less fortunate peers....'

My friend commented: 'Whether you believe in nature or nurture, most apples do not fall too far from the tree. We (in Singapore) provide everyone with equal opportunities - in fact, more help is given to those from the lower end - but we cannot expect equal outcomes.'

I replied: 'Yes, we all have different weaknesses and strengths. We are all also fellow travellers in transit in this present time and country. Here and now is the only certainty you and I know. That applies as much to Singapore's billionaires as it does to the cleaning lady in my office.

'The ideal that Singaporeans should strive for is a society where all are treated equally. Being treated equally does not mean being paid the same. But in our personal interactions with one another, unless we know or strongly suspect the other person is a bad person, we should try to treat everyone with the same degree of consideration. I use the word 'consideration' rather than 'courtesy' because I find 'courtesy' a somewhat phoney thing. I may or may not do you good or harm, but I can still treat you courteously.'

In the fourth century, a great Chinese writer Tao Yuan Ming - who unlike most Chinese scholars, wanted no official position and preferred the seclusion of a farming life - was forced to take up a minor official position because he could not feed his family by farming. Less than 80 days after he took up his position, a higher ranking official visited him. Warned to be courteous to the higher official or he would get into trouble, Tao declared: 'I will not bow for five bushels of padi.'

Perhaps five bushels of padi was his annual remuneration. My close circle of friends understands when I say: 'I won't bow for five kilograms of gold.' It means I will not waver from my principles no matter what the cost.

A humorous aspect of being 'LKY's daughter' is that not infrequently, various people ask to meet me though they have nothing specific to discuss with me. My mother used to say wryly of such people: 'If they cannot see the Panda, the Panda's daughter may be an acceptable substitute.'

Perhaps wanting to meet the Panda's daughter is a reflection of the awe with which many view my father. That is a compliment to him, not a merit I won myself.

Regardless of how people perceive the 'Panda's daughter', I will continue to do what is right and just, until I'm physically unable to do so anymore.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I believe she is right for picking - join opposition party or from a new one. She is getting itchy all over from being caved in Istana for too long, and only taking her old fart nonsense.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
may be she is trying to say my sis-in-laws treat me like a pinay pole dancer?

hi there

1. honest, what was insinuated was that she is at the bottom of the pile.
2. everyone seems looking down at.
3. poor rich gal.
4. low esteem man!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One thing is for sure, if you can manage to marry her, you will be a millionaire!

HAHA!

If she marries someone like me, she won't be at the bottom of the totem pole; she'd be driven and buried deep underground as piling.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Just say, "my sis-in-laws treat me like a chao recruit at home"...

It's only "so clear" to a very very very small percentage of the English speaking world. Most native English speakers wouldn't have a clue what a "chao recruit" is.

Playing to the lowest common denominator isn't going to help lift the level of written and spoken English. All it does is perpetuate mediocrity.:rolleyes:

Language skills improve when high standards are set and people are forced to raise their game. Those who don't understand a word or phrase should take the time and effort to find out what it means. It will serve them well in the long run, especially if they are forced by circumstances to move to an English speaking environment.

Many Singaporeans have missed opportunities abroad because they failed to understand English as it is spoken in the international business world.

Singaporeans can't afford to be insular. The country is far too small. You can't wrap yourselves in a cocoon and get away with it like the Americans and the mainland Chinese can.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Language skills improve when high standards are set and people are forced to raise their game. Those who don't understand a word or phrase should take the time and effort to find out what it means. It will serve them well in the long run, especially if they are forced by circumstances to move to an English speaking environment.

"Coffee Shop Talk." should be "Coffee Shop Talk" without the period "." It's a title, not a sentence.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
or "Coffee Shop Talks"
( coffee shop is singular )

"Talk" in this case is a noun, not a verb. However, it's quite acceptable to make it "Talks" to emphasize there's more activities going on, just like "Sport" or "Sports".

jonlatio

Alfrescian
Loyal
[But perceptions, whether accurate or not, do affect how people react to me. Many people think I have a 'godfather'. But as my staff at the National Neuroscience Institute know, events last year proved that my family connections do not give me special protection.]

What must have happened at NNI last year? Some screw up?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
"Talk" in this case is a noun, not a verb. However, it's quite acceptable to make it "Talks" to emphasize there's more activities going on, just like "Sport" or "Sports".

Coffee shop talks implies that formal speeches or presentations are being made at a coffee shop. EG : "A series of talks are being conducted to familiarise members regarding club rules.".

Coffee shop talk means informal chit chat or exchanges. EG : "Loose talk can get you killed in some countries.".

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You're a typical sinkie twit! One that spends half his life on the internet but doesn't have a clue how to use the web for his own benefit.

If you don't understand what being "at the bottom of the totem pole" means, simply do a search for "totem pole" and do some research for yourself.:rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totem_pole

There is nothing significant at the end of oy 'totem pole'...it is the top..that is the excitment and glory... ha ha ha :biggrin:

swampthing

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frankly she gives herself too much credit. She keeps on saying how she can see the "common man's" POV. Yah right. So does Queen Elizabeth.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why she write this kind of article? To show that she can be the independent checks and balances in the establishments? Whats the point when you wont change the situation?
I rather watch WWE for this kind of drama. At least WWE is real.

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Lee Wei Ling

Your father was a traitor to Singapore when he worked for the kempetei.

Many Singaporeans despise your father for his seditious acts during World War II when the kempetei murdered thousands upon thousands of Singaporeans. Your father helped the kempetei. There is no excuse for him then, nor now. There were ample jobs during the Japanese occupation that didn't require one to work for the murderous arm of the japanese killers.

Your father cannot be trusted to own a coffe shop, let alone an entire country. Coffee shop owners, by tradition are honest people. Your father was a thief, selling cheap, illegal items during WWII and at the same time wroking for the kempetei.

Only a vile, sadistic, cheap, incompetent, murderous man would work for the kempetei. Your father could have been a teacher, or something more decent but he chose to work for the kempetei and even learned the Japanese language. Even your father's good friend, SR NAthan learned the Japanese language so that he could work for the kempetei.

This is the same SR Nathan that promised and failed to learn the CHInese language after 6years? This is the same SR Nathan that managed to learn that JApanese language so quickly that he could work for the kempetei.

Wei Ling, your father is a devil and you are nothing to the majority of Singaporeans. Your stories are nothing more than a blatant and pathetic attempt by YOU and your father and his cronies to paint a picture of you as someone that is able to touch base with the local populace.

The irony remains that your writings actually make you seem even more out of the ordinary than someone that actually feels the pulse of the general populace.

Wei Ling, stop your pathtic use of the 154th. If you truly do something good for Singapore, we will tell you. We do not need you to tell us.
Until then, tell your dad that I and the majority of Singaporeans despise him whole heartedly and that even though he knows this, telling you to tell him makes it all the more glorious.