• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lee Hsien Loong promises more help to cope with cost of living

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
PM promises more help to cope with cost of living
By Li Xueying, Political Correspondent

THE Government is zeroing in on low-income households to ensure they can cope with the rising cost of living, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong yesterday.

He added that the Government knows who the most needy people are, and that it has the resources to help them.

'We know what to do, and we know who the people are who need the help,' he said, citing various government welfare schemes.

Speaking during a community event in his Teck Ghee ward in Ang Mo Kio GRC, he also hinted that those who are better off will get a helping hand too.

'The broader range of Singaporeans - well, we'll see how things go and what is necessary to be done,' he said.

The Government is expected to unveil its annual Budget statement next month. Most observers believe it will contain goodies for a wide range of Singaporeans.

Mr Lee, however, declined to elaborate more on what Singaporeans could expect in the coming Budget.

'I am not the Finance Minister and I have not seen Tharman's proposals yet,' he said, referring to Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam. 'I have some idea what he is going to do, but I think it's best that we decide carefully and then announce properly.'

Asked if Budget Day would be Feb 18, he said it would be 'around' that date.

He acknowledged that inflation is of concern to many households at present, but pointed out that Singapore also weathered high inflation in 2008.

That year, the wholesale price of rice increased by half, and the prices of many other staples also rose. But prices stabilised after a few months, he noted.

'And I expect that to happen again this time,' he said, noting that the current bout of inflation stemmed from external factors such as bad weather in food-producing countries.

He also placed the rising prices within the context of a recovering economy with a low unemployment rate: 'I think one good thing this year is that everybody has jobs. Unemployment is very low, about 2 per cent. So finding work and earning pay is not a problem. That's a big plus.'

Yesterday, 280 needy residents in Teck Ghee received from Mr Lee, their MP, hongbao containing $100 in cash and $50 worth of FairPrice vouchers.

One recipient, housewife Habsah Abdul Hamid, 51, was there with her daughter Siti Noriza, 19, a student at the Institute of Technical Education.

The single mother said the cash would go towards her health expenses and more pocket money for her two children. They used to get $2 a day, but now get $4.

Miss Siti explained: 'In the past, $1.50 or $2 could get us a meal of rice with meat and vegetables. Now, the same thing costs $3 in the school canteen.'

Mr Lee also toured Teck Ghee's wet market and hawker centre for two hours to greet residents - his annual practice in the lead-up to Chinese New Year.

Residents grasped his hand, posed for photos, and held out their babies to be carried.

There were also some, like housewife Toh Bee Yen, 48, who took the chance to ask him for help. She complained that a ledge blocked her flat's ventilation.

Later in the morning, Mr Lee opened an activity centre for elderly residents in Ang Mo Kio Avenue 10. 'We need more of such centres, where old folks can stay active, chit-chat, play mahjong and have a meaningful life,' he said.

The Government will do its part to build the infrastructure, he said, but families must also take care of their elderly.

Yio Chu Kang MP Seng Han Thong told The Straits Times that plans are afoot to set up a similar centre in Yio Chu Kang. He said: 'We will learn from this one, and see how else we can improve on it.'

[email protected]

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
General erections wayang.
My suggestion-take the money and vote against PAP,for the sake of yr future generatyions!

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LSL : Of course, whatever we gave you, we take back in double. Then what do you think that I am paid so much for ? Stupid peasants...

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"'I am not the Finance Minister and I have not seen Tharman's proposals yet,' he said, referring to Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam. 'I have some idea what he is going to do, but I think it's best that we decide carefully and then announce properly.'"

You beleive this!? doublespeak:p

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
PM Lee is a kind man who has the welfare of the people at heart. I'm sure he'll keep to his word and help ease the burden of those who are less fortunate.

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
"'I am not the Finance Minister and I have not seen Tharman's proposals yet,' he said, referring to Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam. 'I have some idea what he is going to do, but I think it's best that we decide carefully and then announce properly.'"

You beleive this!? doublespeak:p
Make it extremly GRAND to give back a little of yr money back to you,hehehe.

I sincerely hope that some wise guys in PAP would see it fit to advise PM LHL not to commit the same mistake as the last time when he condenmed all those poor,illierate,senior citizens who failed to fill up forms to claim their S$50.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 hand out fr PAP and sighed:Wow,so difficult to give money away in very rich Singapore leh-thinking he was talking to banker Wee CY

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PM Lee is a kind man who has the welfare of the people at heart. I'm sure he'll keep to his word and help ease the burden of those who are less fortunate.

"He ain't heavy, he is my brother".. sic!, you into doublespeak also!:rolleyes:

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

hi there

1. ah sam kor, you are even a kinder person man!
2. of course, sheep can always blah, right.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
LSL : Of course, whatever we gave you, we take back in double. Then what do you think that I am paid so much for ? Stupid peasants...

We all know that for every government in the world, welfare money still comes from the people. Most countries recover welfare expenses from the rich who has prospered under their system. The problem with Singapore is that it keeps burdening the poor themselves for welfare while giving tax breaks to the rich. For example, people are already poor and broke, but to qualify for Medishield topups, they have to pay their own topups in cash first. People people are already struggling with low income and high inflation, and government increases GST to raise funds to "help them." :mad:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Most countries recover welfare expenses from the rich who has prospered under their system.

It's supposed to work that way in theory but in reality the rich pay precious little in taxes. Their money is stashed offshore or hidden in trusts, shell companies or secret bank accounts [Singapore has surpassed the Swiss in this area of expertise.]

Do you know why the rich own super yachts? They use them to avoid paying personal taxes by spending less than 6 months in any one country.

The bulk of the tax burden is supported by those on salaries.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP=Prostitutes Also Pay=Pay And Pay=People All Pay=......

Can a leopard change it's spots :confused:

Paupers also pay, that is why they are The People's Affordable Party. With Adobe Photohop Leopard's spots can be removed & Harimau's stripes inserted!:biggrin:

Have you seen a striped Leopard?...ahh! that is Uniquely your SINgapore!:biggrin: