• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lee Hsien Loong: "No one will be left behind."

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

orum: Charged extra by telco for not switching to e-bill​

Feb 16, 2022

For the past one year, I have been paying my phone bills at a 7-Eleven store.
But M1 recently sent me a letter to say that, from April, "monthly paper bill recurring charges will increase from $2.14 to $2.68 per billing account for personal accounts", and that I can avoid this charge by switching to an electronic bill.
I understand that companies are trying to cut costs by getting customers to go digital, but please spare a thought for senior citizens who may struggle to pay e-bills.
I hope M1 will withdraw the proposed increase.

Heng Cho Choon

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Firms should be clear about paperless objective​

Feb 24, 2022

The Singapore Exchange (SGX) as well as stockbroker UOB Kay Hian recently sent me letters saying they want to help tackle climate change and adopt environmentally friendly practices.
The letters informed me that monthly physical statements relating to my accounts with them will cease.
While I support green initiatives, it appears in these cases to be lose-lose for customers and win-win for businesses.
I will have to sign in online to access my statements. If I need paper copies, the printing effort and cost will be mine.
On the other hand, UOB Kay Hian and SGX will both save on costs and manpower by stopping the dispatch of once-a-month statements.
The two are now telling clients that they will have to pay to get their own statements on paper in future: $10 a month per account for UOB Kay Hian and $25.68 for a 12-month period for SGX.
Businesses should be clear about their objective in going paperless: Is it to save the Earth or to make more money?

Businesses that stop sending consumers physical statements will save money and effort.
But instead of passing these savings on to consumers, they are asking consumers to pay to continue a service already in existence.
Older consumers, especially those less computer-savvy, are harder hit by such digital initiatives. They often do not have a choice.
I appeal to all businesses to be sincere in the digitalisation push. Pass digitalisation savings back to clients.
And if some clients prefer the status quo, make it easy and costless for them.

Mano Sabnani

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Switch to e-statements, e-notifications and e-bills may penalise some seniors​

Fwb 24, 2022

I refer to the letters, "Charged extra by telco for not switching to e-bill", Feb 16, and "Seniors can receive bills in the mail for free", Feb 18.
The Singapore Exchange (SGX) ceased its paper-based statements and notifications from Feb 1.
In a letter I received in December, SGX said that those who would like to continue receiving paper statements and notifications can subscribe to a paper service at $25.68 for a 12-month period.
By forcing customers to switch to e-statements, e-notifications and e-bills, companies penalise seniors who may not be comfortable with accessing statements and bills digitally.

Oei Khoen Hwa

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Residents in some places at the mercy of high coffee shop prices​

June 24, 2022

Mr Jonathan Wong's contention that we should let sky-high transaction prices of coffee shops be, as these are purely commercial decisions that would be tempered by supply and demand, is an oversimplification of the real issues (Not Govt's business to intervene in commercial decisions, June 22).
HDB incorporated neighbourhood coffee shops into estates to serve the social purpose of giving nearby residents easy access to affordable meals.
In places where there are many households and no alternative coffee shops nearby, the residents are at the mercy of the high prices charged by the coffee shop stalls to recoup the high prices paid in rent.
And when one coffee shop starts charging high prices, it might embolden nearby coffee shops to raise their prices as well. The losers in the end are the residents.
In the days when there was less wealth inequality, a hawker would be very wary of raising his prices for fear of losing customers because everyone was very price-sensitive.
With rising wealth disparity, there is now a sufficient pool of willing payers for raised prices, leaving the lower-income groups out in the cold. And we're talking food here, not luxuries.
We are living in a country, not a pure commercial entity, and every person must feel that he has a place in it. In areas where the lower-income feel powerless to fight rich asset holders, the authorities should step in to look after their interests.

Peh Chwee Hoe

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Many seniors rely on hawker centres, affordable food prices​

July7, 2022

I share Forum writer Muhammad Dzul Azhan Sahban's concerns about rising food prices (Stallholders, consumers can take steps to mitigate rising food prices, July 4).
Singapore is a rapidly ageing society. As seniors age, they are less able to cook for themselves due to physical deterioration. Many live alone, which leaves hawker food as their only choice.
While the Government is building more hawker centres to ensure residents have access to affordable food (HDB ensures a good supply of eating houses with affordable food options, June 30), it will take time for them to be ready.
For now, privately owned coffee shops are the best alternative for some seniors who live too far away from a hawker centre, even if the food is pricier.
Landlords raising coffee shop stall rental rates seem to go against efforts to promote the hawker trade in Singapore. I see coffee-shop stalls changing hands often.
Perhaps the Housing Board could consider taking back the leases of privately owned coffee shops. Lower rental would help hawkers make a living, and provide seniors unable to cook for themselves with affordable food.

Ang Chiew Leng

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Coffee shop small enterprises' sustainability at risk​

July 13, 2022

Is real estate investment by companies with deep pockets going to kill off small enterprises in coffee shops (Worries over price hikes at coffee shops, July 10)?
Few small stallholders have the option of shifting business strategies.
There should be serious deliberation on whether letting landlords call the shots in determining the sustainability of small enterprises is the way forward.
The argument that the market dictates supply and demand is an Economics 101 lesson but may be erroneous in long-term strategic and sustainable nation-building.
Perhaps Forward SG, which seeks to engage all stakeholders, can also look at these issues.

Thomas Lee Hock Seng (Dr)

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Has Singapore become a smart nation or smart device nation?​

AUG 13, 2022

Our nation has come a long way since the Smart Nation initiative was launched by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong in 2014.
Digitalisation is undoubtedly an existential issue for a small resource-limited country like Singapore.
However, I have viewed with consternation how some government bodies have purely focused on making their mobile app the "centre of the universe".
In doing so, they are forgetting their core mission to serve all citizens and residents, not just the mobile-savvy ones.
"Smart Nation" is at this point looking a lot more like "Smart Device Nation".
Take, for example, the Central Provident Fund (CPF) Board. What I used to view as an exemplary organisation has strayed by focusing on members only through digital services.
All transaction-related matters require CPF members to first have an Internet or mobile banking account since payments are through PayNow QR or eNets. The new service by OCBC Bank for top-ups to customers' CPF accounts also requires Internet banking.

CPF services have been removed from channels like Singpost and AXS kiosks. My father, who used to make top-ups to his CPF account and my mother's CPF account with his Nets cards at AXS kiosks, is no longer able to do so.
When contacted, CPF customer service encouraged my father to open an Internet banking account.
I do hope that in our Smart Nation drive, citizens who are not digital-savvy are not left behind.

Chen Wencong

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Long queues due to fewer manned bank branches​

Aug 23, 2022

Many DBS Bank/POSB branches with manned counter services have either closed or been replaced with ATM-only booths.
Some seniors now have to travel long distances to a branch with manned counters to get help with their banking needs.
I have experienced or heard from others about long, snaking queues at bank branches, with people spilling into corridors and pavements, SMS queue numbers running out for the day before 2pm, and waiting times of up to 31/2 hours, mostly spent standing outside the branch as space is limited inside the premises.
At other banks, there are rarely queues extending outside the branch, and service is quick and efficient.
I wonder how many DBS/POSB branches have staff that serve customers compared with a few years ago, what the average waiting time at those branches is, and whether the bank collects feedback from its customers on their banking experience.

Gan Boey Keow

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Mobile apps may present challenges to seniors​

Aug 25, 2022

I share Mr Chen Wencong's dismay that organisations such as banks, government bodies and insurance companies are making their mobile apps the "centre of the universe" (Has Singapore become a smart nation or smart device nation?, Aug 13).
In some cases, the app is required to perform certain actions, which cannot be done on a computer. If the focus on apps is to continue, then there should be versions of the app on Windows computers.
Phone apps have disadvantages, especially for the elderly.
  • Their small screens and fonts may not be suitable for seniors who have poorer eyesight.
  • Having to bend over to read can be punishing, especially for seniors who may have conditions such as cervical spondylosis (degeneration of the spine).
  • The small screen makes it difficult to toggle between windows when doing Internet transactions like banking which require you to finish within a certain time or the log-in will expire.
    In the process of going to another site for an action such as retrieving a code, the original site may be lost.
  • Often, a smartphone with the latest operating system is required. A bank recently sent customers reminders to ensure that their operating system is up-to-date.
    Customers may then need to buy a new phone even though their existing phone is still functioning, as the older model is no longer supported.
The authorities responded to Mr Chen's letter (Much emphasis placed on inclusivity in Smart Nation push, Aug 16), and said that ServiceSG Centres have been set up to support segments of people, such as seniors, who need help with digital services.
There are currently four of these centres in Singapore. How convenient is it for seniors to visit these centres, compared with the many more AXS kiosks that Mr Chen's father used to visit to top up his Central Provident Fund account?
There is also added concern when a country places too much reliance on the Internet, which is vulnerable to breakdowns and attacks. Cash, cheques and AXS machines are still needed.

Ang Chiew Leng

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Some seniors still have trouble getting polyclinic appointments with mobile apps​

Aug 31, 2022

I refer to the letter, "Mobile apps may present challenges to seniors" (Aug 25).
I am a senior and last week I wanted to see a doctor for pain in my feet. To book an appointment at Queenstown Polyclinic, I called the appointment hotline several times for two days.
Each time, an automated message told me the operators were busy, and I should try the OneNUHS app or wait on the line.
On the third day, I finally managed to get an appointment. Those were three very painful days.
While at the polyclinic, I had to wait for 45 minutes at the reception to get a referral for a podiatrist. In that time, I observed the following:
  • A man in his late 70s complained that he could not get a same-day appointment since the day before. He did not own a smartphone and was not familiar with how to use one, and said he could not keep borrowing one from others. The reception staff tried to show him how to use a smartphone, but he could not understand, and they booked an appointment for him.
  • Another man in his 60s walked in with his hands trembling badly. He too said he could not use the app. Seeing his condition, the staff booked an appointment for him that was in two hours' time.
  • A young woman walked in pushing an elderly woman in a wheelchair. She told the staff the app was not working for her and terminated before she could get an appointment. She demonstrated this to the staff, who got the same result.
These incidents demonstrate what some seniors have to go through for basic services. When looking at productivity gains, the time wasted by some in using the app must also be considered.
Not everyone has the means to own a smartphone. Maybe this rush for digitalisation should be relooked to ensure that some are not left behind.

Pradeep K. Mathur

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1662512694818.png

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: No proof of income means I may have to forgo previous benefits of credit card​

Sep 12, 2022

I am from the Pioneer Generation and have been retired for several years now.
All these years, I've been using the Plus! credit card and enjoying the discounts and credit facility the card gives.
Another bank has now taken over the credit facility. Now, I have to reapply for a new card to enjoy the same privileges and facilities.
Unfortunately, having been retired for several years now, I do not have proof of any employment and/or income.
Not once over the years have I defaulted in settling my monthly bills. Now, through no fault of mine, I will not have access to the same facilities and discounts any more.
As more and more retirees come on board, what measures are being put in place so that retirees are not disadvantaged by such changes?

Ajit Singh Nagpal

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Ineligible for printed NS55 credits vouchers despite years with SAF​

Oct 24, 2022

I belong to the Pioneer Generation and am eligible for the $100 worth of digital credits under the NS55 Recognition Package.
I am using a prepaid SIM card for my phone without a data plan.
I requested printed vouchers, which would take some time to process. However, after waiting for about two months, I received a phone call telling me that I am not eligible for printed vouchers as I was from the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF). Only Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) personnel are eligible.
I enlisted as a full-time national serviceman with the SAF in July 1970. I continued to attend in-camp training and several reporting exercises with the SAF until 1983.
In 1988, I was transferred as a reservist to SCDF, and attended two in-camp trainings. I was discharged in 1989.
I am perplexed that my 13 years of service with the SAF are not on record.

Chin Kee Thou

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Seniors need help in keeping up with tech advances​

Nov 4, 2022

I have always been amazed by the advancement of technology, and thankful for it, too.
However, after I had two bad experiences in one day, I realised that dealing with technology can be stressful for senior citizens like me.
First, I went to Our Tampines Hub swimming pool to get more information about aqua aerobics lessons.
There were three young men seated at the reception counter and all they could tell me was to download an app with which I could get all the information using my Singpass. They did not even offer to help me download the app.
The second bad experience was when I went to a supermarket and wanted to pay for some items. Like I had done in the past, I produced my PAssion card to get the reward points.
But I was then told that I could no longer use my PAssion card without first downloading the app.
Is there an app to serve us senior citizens?

Santakumari Ratnam

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: ActiveSG should ask customers how they prefer to communicate​

NOV 12, 2022

I was recently made aware that ActiveSG had informed customers of changes to their badminton court bookings via WhatsApp. I do not use WhatsApp for privacy and security reasons, and missed the notification.
Government agencies should not assume that everyone is using WhatsApp. Can I recommend that we stick to SMS notifications, or at least ask customers for their preferred medium of communication?

Soh Chin Chuan

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Difficult for sister with special needs to get GovCash payout at ATM​

Dec 16, 2022

I received a letter from the Ministry of Finance informing me that my sister is entitled to a $700 payout via GovCash.

As my sister has severe Down syndrome, she does not have a bank account. In the past, we had no issue encashing the cheques given to her by the Government on her behalf. We just had to get a doctor’s certification and present it at the counter of UOB or DBS bank. We did not have to take her in her wheelchair to the bank, and family members were able to withdraw her benefits for her.

But the procedure for receiving cash via GovCash now requires us to take her to an OCBC ATM and have her face scanned for verification. This can be very challenging for people like my sister who have special needs, and their families.

Getting her out of the house is already a tedious task, and getting her face scanned at the ATM will definitely not be easy, as she would not be able to keep still.

We are even considering giving up on claiming the $700 payout, although it is quite a great sum to us, as she has no source of income and relies on the family to take care of her.

See Swee Tin

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Allow court-appointed deputies to hire professionals to submit online reports​

2022 12 19

I am one of three court-appointed joint deputies for a relative who is incapable of managing her financial and other affairs. Two of us belong to the Pioneer and Merdeka generations.
We have been dutifully submitting the annual deputy report to the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG), with the help of an accountant. This has gone smoothly for the past eight years.
However, the OPG informed us on Nov 14 that all reports must be submitted online, using the Singpass account of one of the joint deputies. When we asked the OPG if we can appoint a professional to do the submission on our behalf, we were told that we cannot.
I appreciate that as a Smart Nation, we should try to digitalise most of our transactions with government agencies. But although this may be simple and convenient for most citizens, Pioneer and Merdeka generation seniors often find it a challenge just to use a computer, let alone submit documents electronically.
The new system has additional reporting requirements which make our job as deputies more burdensome. They are more complicated, and require coordination between multiple parties online before submission.
I fail to understand why deputies cannot hire professionals to prepare and file these reports on their behalf. Deputies would be able to discharge their duties more efficiently, leaving professionals to navigate the complexities of online reporting. Even for private matters such as income tax submission, professionals can be hired to submit the tax returns.
In trying to safeguard the interests of the incapacitated, the OPG should not impose superfluous reporting requirements on deputies. Unpaid deputies are already overstretched in having to provide daily care for their charges, over and above their families’ needs and their own.

Chung Sook Yee

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Digitalisation solutions must serve all, not just the service providers​

JAN 6, 2023

Digitalisation can help a nation greatly in terms of productivity if applied correctly.
However, such an effort should not be left entirely to the service providers to design and grow without considering the nation’s total productivity.
Banks and stock exchanges, among others, used to send customers paper monthly statements – a full-push method. We could file the statements, or a busy executive could get an assistant to file them.
Post-digitalisation, some of these service providers adopt a time-limited, half-push half-pull method.
They send an SMS to customers to alert them that the statements are ready to be downloaded within a certain time period.
This can make things difficult for someone who is busy and has to perform many such tasks on a regular basis, especially if different service providers have their own unique delivery systems.
Digitalisation should require service providers to think of a full productivity goal, not just one that benefits only themselves.

Engineering teaches us to innovate by manipulating the combination of man, machine and method.
Here, shouldn’t the government machinery step in and come up with one standard method of digital statement delivery that the market would embrace, and which service providers must follow?
One simple suggestion is to require service providers to have no time limits on when statements can be downloaded, fulfilling a full-push responsibility.
After all, providing a small cloud storage space for clients should be seen as good customer service.

Ong Yong Hwee