• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lee Hsien Loong: "No one will be left behind."

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Push to use technology should not make things more difficult for users​

JAN 30, 2024

The Government’s across-the-board push to use technology may be resulting in government agencies’ systems unwittingly becoming rather user-unfriendly for those who are less tech-savvy.
This is especially felt by elderly citizens who are less educated or who might not have the ability or the hardware to successfully navigate QR codes, create PDFs, upload documents or use e-services without help.
One example of how user-unfriendly a government system can be is the submission of a medical report to the Traffic Police (TP) for the revalidation of the driving licence by those aged 65 and above.
According to the standard computer-generated letter from the TP on this matter, each report has to be in a PDF/JPEG format and uploaded via the e-service portal using the Singpass app.
Despite the instructions in their letter, the TP, when queried on the phone, are willing to accept the physical report sent through the mail. I wonder why this option was not included in the letter. The affected number of licensed drivers in this age group is relatively small and such an option would be most welcome by those who are technically less savvy and unable to get help.
The use of technology and online processes in government systems to the fullest extent possible is necessary and critical in this digital age. However, such systems cannot and should not be justified solely on grounds of administrative expediency and efficiency at the expense of being less user-friendly and service-oriented.

Ang Ah Lay

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Retirees still need more help to be re-employed​

JAN 06, 2024

I refer to the reply by the Ministry of Manpower (Steps taken to support senior workers on re-employment, Jan 3).
Kudos to the Manpower Ministry for the schemes it has put in place to extend the employment of seniors, and its encouragement of employers to do so.
However, the ministry did not address the point made by Mr Tristan Gwee (Tap older workers’ wealth of experience, Dec 11) and Mr Ong Kim Bock (Do more to get retirees back in workforce, Dec 14), that is, to tap seniors who have left the workforce, and would like to, and can potentially, be re-employed.
In my interactions with other retired seniors, I have found that many of us would like to be re-employed.
I have applied to the ministry, other government bodies and tripartite organisations, but with no success.
Other seniors have had similar experiences, and we have come to the same conclusion that ageism played a role in why we were not employed.
The Government has called for employers to engage seniors as part of the workforce. But can we expect the private sector to overlook ageism and employ seniors, when government bodies do not seem to walk the talk?

There is a group of retired but capable seniors who have been sidelined. With their efforts to rejoin the workforce not bearing fruit, they are resigned to spending their time at coffee shops or binge-watching TV shows instead of contributing to the nation.

Lai Tuck Kee

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is the problem when you import the wrong set of foreigner. You imported large amount of CECA for IT and Management job.

You import Ceca to fill in job for lower rug to compliment our economy.

Not to use CECA people to develop the economy which is not intended to be .

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Help retrenched young seniors get back into the workforce​

FEB 21, 2024

In the 2024 Budget, there seems to be a lack of emphasis on one group of vulnerable Singaporeans who have been retrenched.
The number of retrenched workers has increased recently and is expected to rise further due to companies looking at higher profitability and conducting right-sizing exercises.
The Budget is giving top-ups of $15,000 for Institute of Technical Education graduates aged 30 and below when they complete a diploma programme. Those aged 40 and above pursuing a second diploma will get a monthly training allowance of up to $3,000 for 24 months.
Will it make sense for those in their 60s to pursue a second diploma and get hired (hopefully) after graduation?
I am sure those in their 60s will not get a similar scheme to obtain a second diploma and get hired (hopefully) after graduation.
I was laid off last year when I was 59 years old. I have applied for numerous positions without success. Employers do not want to hire older people with a short “runway” as they say it is difficult to integrate them into their generally younger teams. This is also the case when I look for work at government agencies.
I attended a three-month full-time SkillsFuture Career Transition Programme in September 2023, hoping to get a job placement after the training. Unfortunately, the class was left on its own to look for jobs after we completed the programme, which was described as a “train-and-place programme”.

Most unemployed seniors face financial difficulties, especially if we have to support the family.
Most of us would prefer to get a job rather than get handouts from the Government. I hope the Government will look into helping young seniors get back into the workforce.

Eric Yip Kok Leong

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
LHL.jpg

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Put more thought into job placement after training for mid-career workers​

FEB 29, 2024

It is heartening to observe the parliamentary debate on the SkillsFuture Level-Up Programme. Among the programme’s key objectives is supporting mid-career Singaporeans so as to boost their prospects in the current job or pivot into a new career.
My female colleagues and I faced career disruption during the pandemic. We then proactively enrolled and completed digital skills courses to reset our career path. But we were greeted with brutal ageism practices from various multinational corporations as well as small and medium-sized enterprises.
I believe the SkillsFuture Level-Up Programme announced in the latest Budget will be effective only if workers who have completed the training programmes can land themselves a suitable career for the next phase of their working life.
A basic short-term training programme may be insufficient for older mid-career individuals to secure a job as they are competing with a younger generation with better academic qualifications. Mid-career workers risk remaining unemployed despite using up the $4,000 in subsidies.
More thought needs to go into how the training can lead to good jobs for these mid-career workers as there are only a limited number of job offerings. We need to address the deficiencies of the career matching programme in its current form to improve outcomes for the individuals using it.
All stakeholders, including employers, must support the well-intended measures in the Budget to rehire mid-career workers and those who have gone the extra mile to elevate their skills to stay relevant and contribute to the country’s economy.

Ho See Ling