• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

KCR Interview With NMP Siew Kum Hong

SNAblog

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://kentridgecommon.com/?p=3666

Upfront: with NMP Siew Kum Hong

Foreword: Mr Siew Kum Hong obtained his law degree with honors from the National University of Singapore. He is currently working as a Senior Counsel for CA (Asia South region). Mr Siew was sworn in as a Nominated Member of Parliament (NMP) on 22 January 2007.

KRC: The Jobs Credit Scheme (JCS) was introduced earlier this year to encourage businesses to preserve jobs. How would you rate its effectiveness so far? What alternative measures do you propose that will help Singapore tide through the current economic crisis? What kind of safety nets would you propose so that the low income families will not lack further behind during the current crisis?

Kum Hong: I think it’s important to first define the purpose of JCS. It was originally positioned as being a scheme to save jobs - but in the course of the Budget debate, it was clarified as being intended to reduce business costs, but structured in such a way as to encourage businesses to save Singaporean jobs.

To the extent that it reduced business costs, of course JCS has worked. And to answer the PAP MPs, yes JCS is preferable to cutting the employers’ CPF contribution rate for the purpose of reducing business costs, but that is a very narrow way of framing the question (i.e. solely in terms of reducing business costs).

But if you want to assess its effectiveness in saving Singaporean jobs, then it is impossible to definitively conclude either way, and the Government itself had basically said so as much. We can only guesstimate. While feedback from employers has been uniformly positive, I would nevertheless take that with some salt since they have a very strong self-interest in seeing the scheme continue (since it is essentially “free money” for them).

I think the recession so far has not hit jobs as hard as had been feared, but unfortunately it’s still early days yet in the recession and we will have to wait and see how the rest of the year plays out.

As for other measures to help the Singapore economy as a whole - well, that’s tough, because this recession is driven by external factors, so I think the Government is really doing pretty much everything that is sensibly possible in terms of helping the economy stay afloat. But if you are referring to measures to help Singaporeans, then please see my Budget speech at http://siewkumhong.blogspot.com/2009/02/budget-2009-speech-on-budget-statement.html for some suggestions.

KRC: You brought up interesting points regarding the approval process for the use of our national reserves during this year’s Budget statement in February. If you were in position to revamp or tweak this approval process for using our reserves, how would you go about doing it?

Kum Hong: As Minister Tharman says, there is a fundamental disagreement in philosophy between the PAP/Government and folks like myself - they place their faith in good men, while we would prefer a sound system (ideally, populated with good men!). So that is the difference. The PAP’s approach allows for the opacity and non-transparency that currently exists, but it presupposes and assumes that the people in the system are honest and trustworthy and, more importantly, will always remain so. I would prefer not to do things on the basis of that assumption being eternally true.

In terms of how I would go about doing it, I think it would be fully transparent, with the Government having to publish fully reasoned arguments for using the reserves, the Council of Presidential Advisers publishing full and complete reasons for their recommendation, and the President publishing full and complete reasons for his/her decision whether to give approval. Even if you accept that the secrecy around our investments and reserves is justified, it is hard to see how publishing all these decisions and reasons around the use of our reserves could be prejudicial to anything.

page 1 of 3

SNAblog

Alfrescian
Loyal
KRC: You were critical of the government’s focus on GDP as an indicator of progress. What is your ideal methodology (s) of measuring progress and why?

Kum Hong: I think GDP is definitely relevant. But there are other metrics that should be relevant, for instance, the Gini coefficient (to measure income equality), emigration rates, etc. All of this can be weighted and compiled into an index. There is of course a fair amount of guesstimation going on, but the point is not to measure with any scientific accuracy what the level of progress at any one time is (if that is at all possible), but rather whether the index is going up or going down and by how much. That will tell us whether we are going in the right decision and doing the right things.

KRC: You voted against the recently amended Films Act, voicing your agreement with the Advisory Council on the Impact of New Media on Society (AIMS) that Section 33 (Party political films) should be repealed. If given a second term, would you be addressing the amended Films Act again, and if yes, how would you go about doing it?

Kum Hong: Contrary to some recent allegations to the contrary, I don’t have an agenda as such. My only agenda, to the extent that I have any, is to serve and contribute to Parliamentary proceedings in a sincere and honest manner, as best as I can. I don’t have any intent to campaign for Section 33 of the Films Act to be repealed, but to the extent that the Films Act comes up for debate again, I will certainly make that point again. This is the same as with the 377A petition - that did not arise out of the blue, but happened in the context of the Penal Code amendments. So there is always a context to what I do in Parliament, and that context is largely Government-driven.

page 2 of 3​

SNAblog

Alfrescian
Loyal
KRC: Do you think there is any space for an NMP to push the envelope (as in going beyond set boundaries as defined by our political establishment)?

Kum Hong: I think historically, most NMPs have allowed themselves to be defined in a somewhat narrow and restrictive manner, hence the limited extent of contribution. I think NMPs actually have a lot of room to define their own roles, and that’s what I’ve sought to do in my term. I can only do what I think I should do, and that can be an example (either positive or negative) for others as one possible route. I will however have to leave it to others to decide whether I’ve pushed any envelope in any way.

KRC: Assuming you are in a position to re-define the role of an NMP. What in your opinion is the ideal role of an NMP?

Kum Hong: I think an NMP has to have a point of view, a perspective on things, that he/she is not afraid to articulate and bring forward. That is the very purpose of the NMP scheme. And since we are not subject to party politics, we can afford to articulate our own sincere opinions. That is the greatest strength of the NMP scheme - but NMPs have to be willing to speak their minds, and the lack of accountability (in terms of ensuring that NMPs do in fact speak their minds) is possibly the scheme’s greatest weakness, next to the fact that we are inherently undemocratic of course!

page 3 of 3

---------------------
Latest updates at Singapore News Alternative:

1. East Asians Hardest Hit in World Crisis - MM Lee
2. SIA A380 Airbus Experience Engine Failure
3. Abu Dhabi bids for control of Chartered Semi
4. Singapore M1 Money Supply Apr S$84.58 Billion Vs S$85.17 Billion March
5. Singapore asks Australia to open air routes
6. Singapore confirms 3 more cases of A(H1N1)
7. Kent Ridge Common interviews NMP Siew Kum Hong

New vidoes added:

1. Chiam ST: Abolish GRC & Give Opposition Fair Reporting
2. NCMP Sylvia Lim On Potential Security Challenges