• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kampong Days - Remember Singapore Weblog - Worth Reading

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, thanks for the insightful post. It reminded me of the times in the early years when there was robust debate on entrepreneurship with Sam leading the charge.

I recall when I was young and proud of the education system. Used to get upset with naysayers about the lack of creativity and entrepreneurship and patiently waited to prove them wrong. Frankly I am not sure how this country can be fixed. From a transformational mode we have moved to a maintenance mode to a fire fighting mode where the economy is concerned. We have knowingly moved into a Monaco framework where proceeds of crime and vice is a major revenue earner albeit indirectly.

The only prayer is that all Singaporeans have a fair share of the pie.

Scro, I do not think the model is wrong or simply right. There is a price to pay to establish a law and order society. There are both sides to the picture. If you establish the eminence of law and order, you permit transparency and promotes business tremendously. The promotion of business is an important first of Singapore's economy. There is the social good as crime rates go down. Singapore has this good advantage of transparency of law in this global economic arena.

Entrepreneurship is not so simple to develop as coming from folks with just creativity and independent thought.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is in regard to the comment that Sam made about his stake in a company and its eventual demise.

I learnt sometime ago, to close a business once the structural signs are evident. Do not get sentimental or emotional. It helps everyone including the staff. This is something that we struggle with and I am aware it is due to local politics. Till today we have the sub-contractor mentality. Get contract from grassroots organisations like PA, community centres etc, get a few foreign workers and paint the same railing within 2 years.

At the high end, it is no different. GLCs do the same. These guys are not bound by the same tender and bidding process.

In the end the country stagnates. Why does it take 6 men to trim a tree?

independentdirect

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why do you think we have a subcontractor mentality? Because every one is brought up with the idea as the govt as the biggest employer, the sole provider of essential goods and services, the caretaker of society, and sole creator of everything ranging from jobs to necessities to leisure to culture to the arts.

When govt monopolizes the economy, everyone takes on the mindset of an employee not an entrepreneur.