• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Jobless PMETs with cash better off going overseas than enrolling in start-up courses

Lee Hsien Tau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story

July 10, 2009
Start-up courses for PMETs
By Cassandra Chew

HELP is at hand for retrenched professionals who are toying with the idea of setting up their own business during the recession.

From next month, polytechnics here will be rolling out entrepreneurship courses for professionals, managers, executives and technicians (PMETs).

About 500 training places will be available at these courses, developed jointly Spring Singapore and the Action Community for Entrepreneurship (ACE).

The announcement was made on Friday by Trade and Industry Minister Mr Lim Hng Kiang at the ACE Bluesky Festival.

Planning for these courses began in April when the Enterprise Development Centres, run by business associations reported an increase in the number of PMETs seeking start-up advice.

'Going into business is not that straightforward,' said Mr Sim Choon Siong, deputy director of entrepreneurship development at Spring Singapore.

'A lot of PMETs who are thinking of entrepreneurship may be very good in their job as professionals, but may not be exposed to the business aspects of things. These courses will introduce them to these elements.'

PMETs make up 37 per cent of the 12,760 workers made redundant in the first quarter, and an increasing number are considering entrepreneurship.

Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) constitute 99 per cent of the 160,000 enterprises in Singapore. A third of these business owners are estimated to be PMETs.

Meanwhile, SMEs employ nearly six out of every ten workers - providing about 1.5 million jobs - and contribute to half of Singapore's gross domestic product.

Mr Lim said: 'I am very encouraged that despite the economic downturn, the number of start-ups formed has not dipped over the past few months.

'Perhaps, the weaker job market has even prompted more entrepreneurs to seize the opportunity to set up their own businesses.'

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Jobless PMETs with cash better off going overseas than enrolling in start-up cour

The crux of the problem of very high jobless numbers in Singapore is that there are very few jobs presently available in Singaporeand Not Many jobs are created for singaporeans(Due to shortsighted and serious lapses in govt policies against singapore citizens resulting in many jobs taken over by Foreigners !).
No point going for training and retraining courses if there are no jobs available after completing their courses.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Jobless PMETs with cash better off going overseas than enrolling in start-up cour

The crux of the problem of very high jobless numbers in Singapore is that there are very few jobs presently available in Singaporeand Not Many jobs are created for singaporeans(Due to shortsighted and serious lapses in govt policies against singapore citizens resulting in many jobs taken over by Foreigners !).
No point going for training and retraining courses if there are no jobs available after completing their courses.

Nobody is 'banging the nail on the head', what you have said is true. I will always point out that, the problem began in 1984, when we entered into a recession..and the resulting labour planning....this problem was begining to show in 1991 ( Gulf War) and exacerbated in 1998, the aftermath of the Asian Crises; and pushed over the brink in late 2008.

In 1991, with a view of the future, where we will face a rise & fall in the economy, I had in fact approached NTUC with regards to, re-training, minimum wage, unemployment insurance, more protection for local workers & help, etc., in case we face with uncertain economic storms; I was brushed off by an official (whom I forgot to take down the name), telling me that SINgapore will never ever zero employment, and will not face the problems we see today. How arrogant & near-sighted these people are!?:mad:

What is the use now, if one over 45 yrs of age goes for re-training, spend money & time, and try to find work, and cannot.

To start a business, one need capital....

All these are just...'talk' only...

The measures to ensure employability for SINgaporeans is to limit most or certain types of employment for sinPAPOREANS ONLY!, and set a minimum wage, in accordance to age, & experience. This minimum wage should be equitable not only to the employee, but to the employer also, so as not to stiffle growth.

Lee Hsien Tau

Alfrescian
Loyal

July 30, 2009
100 PMETS sign up courses
Entrepreneurial training courses popular with PMETs
By Niki Bruce

all-LIMSINTHAI.jpg

The entrepreneurial courses will cover subjects like marketing, accounting, and HR, with a focus on know-how such as company registration procedures, and various financing sources and schemes available. --ST PHOTO: LIM SIN THAI

ALL 100 places in the entrepreneurial training courses at Singapore Polytechnic and Temasek Polytechnic have been filled, less than a month after the programme was launched, announced SPRING Singapore on Thursday.

Another 300 enquires were also made, said SPRING. Two more polytechnics - Ngee Ann and Republic - have now joined the scheme, providing a total of 500 training places. These courses will begin in September. Applicants included working and unemployed PMETs, with most aged in their 30s and 40s.

The entrepreneurial courses will cover subjects like marketing, accounting, and HR, with a focus on know-how such as company registration procedures, and various financing sources and schemes available. Networking sessions with local entrepreneurs will also be organised, said SPRING. SPRING pays for up to 70 per cent of the course fees in this programme.

One of the successful applicants, Mr Alvin Tan, 44, said he was retrenched four years ago from his position as a project manager for a Singapore local IT company.

'I haven't been able to find another job despite sending out my resume to numerous companies,' said Mr Tan. 'I even lowered my expectations and expected salary.

Mr Tan said that he then decided to start his own business, but although he has a business degree, he felt that he needed more practical knowledge.

'I hope to acquire the knowledge of how to start and run a business from attending this course, he said. 'I also look forward to the numerous networking opportunities.'

Chief Executive, SPRING Singapore, Mr Png Cheong Boon, said that SPRING was happy with the good response from PMETs interested in the courses. 'We are confident they will find these courses useful as they will be equipped with the essential knowledge and skills to start their business,' he said.

His sentiments were echoed by Mr Arthur Poh, Manager (Industry and Entrepreneurship) in the Department of Industry Services at Singapore Polytechnic. Mr Poh said that Singapore Polytechnic was glad to partner SPRING in developing the courses in entrepreneurship.

'We have received a very good response to the entrepreneurship training courses,' said Mr Poh. 'Originally, we planned for a class of 25 participants in September but have decided to organise two classes of 35 participants each to run concurrently. We are still receiving enquires from interested participants and they have been placed on our waiting list."

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal

July 30, 2009
100 PMETS sign up courses
Entrepreneurial training courses popular with PMETs
By Niki Bruce

all-LIMSINTHAI.jpg

KNN, what a fake picture..