• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Jet Li confirms he's Singaporean

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
20110126.062959_jetli.jpg

ACTION superstar Jet Li has publicly confirmed that he's taken up Singapore citizenship - because of the absence of paparazzi here.

Li was at the 21st International Association for Volunteer Effort World Volunteer Conference yesterday.

Jet Li wants his kids to be bilingual

Chinese gongfu superstar Jet Li confirmed yesterday that he had become a Singapore citizen, and said he wanted his children to receive a bilingual education here.

"My children can have good bilingual education with social stability, and my children will not be harassed by journalists and reporters," he said in Mandarin.

Li, who was here to attend the 21st International Association for Volunteer Effort World Volunteer Conference, also expressed amusement at the massive public interest in his latest migration.

"It is funny because I have been holding a United States passport and living in the US for 20 years, and nobody said anything about it," he said.

"Now I come to Singapore, everybody seems to be curious to know why I'm coming here."

The Beijing-born Li did not say whether he had renounced his US and Chinese nationalities, but Singapore law forbids citizens from holding dual passports.

He said he decided to settle down in Singapore because of its security and education system, which places equal emphasis on the teaching of English and Chinese.

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
For foreigners, it has never been a requirement for them to give up their foreign citizenships. They are only required to pledge their absolute loyalty to SG and not invoke the privileges or rights of their other nationalities while in SG.

They might only not be issued an SG passport if they hold passports of other countries but there is nothing to prevent them from keeping their multiple citizenships while being an SG citizen. As long as they do not apply for an SG passport, there is nothing to prevent them concurrently being nationals of other countries. Even for the passport issue, I am not sure if it is being rigidly enforced.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
For foreigners, it has never been a requirement for them to give up their foreign citizenships. They are only required to pledge their absolute loyalty to SG and not invoke the privileges or rights of their other nationalities while in SG.

hahaha...pledge their absolute loyalty???
is Papee serious that these jokers can be relied upon and NOT run away at the first hint of trouble???
the only way to pledge absolute loyalty is to renounce their foreign citizenship...
of course they can also renounce sinkie citizenship later but that is a moot point....

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
is Papee serious that these jokers can be relied upon and NOT run away at the first hint of trouble???
the only way to pledge absolute loyalty is to renounce their foreign citizenship...
of course they can also renounce sinkie citizenship later but that is a moot point....

Maybe in the long forgotten past, they would demand you renounce your other citizenships as proof of absolute loyalty but not now. If you don't believe this, why not ask your MP to ask this question in Parliament? I am sure you will get some surprising answers if the ministers don't try to dodge the questions. Remember to ask your MP to request for hard evidence as well, not just carefully worded replies.

Gatchaman Jun G-3

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP trusts them not to run away. You should have faith in them too. :rolleyes:

85 y.o.Fart

Alfrescian
Loyal
20110126.062959_jetli.jpg

ACTION superstar Jet Li has publicly confirmed that he's taken up Singapore citizenship - because of the absence of paparazzi here.

Li was at the 21st International Association for Volunteer Effort World Volunteer Conference yesterday.

Jet Li wants his kids to be bilingual

Chinese gongfu superstar Jet Li confirmed yesterday that he had become a Singapore citizen, and said he wanted his children to receive a bilingual education here.

"My children can have good bilingual education with social stability, and my children will not be harassed by journalists and reporters," he said in Mandarin.

Li, who was here to attend the 21st International Association for Volunteer Effort World Volunteer Conference, also expressed amusement at the massive public interest in his latest migration.

"It is funny because I have been holding a United States passport and living in the US for 20 years, and nobody said anything about it," he said.

"Now I come to Singapore, everybody seems to be curious to know why I'm coming here."

The Beijing-born Li did not say whether he had renounced his US and Chinese nationalities, but Singapore law forbids citizens from holding dual passports.

He said he decided to settle down in Singapore because of its security and education system, which places equal emphasis on the teaching of English and Chinese.
Actors are not neccesarily intelligent people, some are goondus. Here is one of the goondus actors taking up Sinkie citizenships. Anywhere in the world your kids can learn more than one languages, not necessarily follow gahment policies like a dog with wagging tail.

Stupid Kungfu actor like Jet Li would take up Sinkie citizenship and drop US citizenship.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe in the long forgotten past, they would demand you renounce your other citizenships as proof of absolute loyalty but not now. If you don't believe this, why not ask your MP to ask this question in Parliament? .

hahaha...the point is not believe or not.....I am quite sure that if the guy is needed (e.g. well known Scientist)...Papee will bend backwards....
What I am mocking them is the "wayang" requirement for them to pledge absolute loyalty.....caught the drift?

A Shankar

Alfrescian
Loyal
That will depends on what kind of Singapore we have 10 years later. He states that safety and education are the main reasons for his move here.

Jet Li is a Singaporean but his children can continue to be US citizen.

Gatchaman Jun G-3

Alfrescian
Loyal
That will depends on what kind of Singapore we have 10 years later. He states that safety and education are the main reasons for his move here.

Jet Li is a Singaporean but his children can continue to be US citizen.
WE all know what happen to these FTs who praise lots but do little. In the end, 95% move to Western nations.

Gatchaman Jun G-3

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wouldn't be surprise if the children are attending one of the international schools vs your neighbourhood school.
That will be hypocritical of him, since International schools have lesser emphasis on Chinese. But then again, celebs are one of the biggest hypocrites.