• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Jalan Besar - A filthy, neglected ward

groinroot

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is a cowboy town, especially the area from Sungei Road to Kitchener Road. Unruly traffic with no presence of traffic policemen, filthy eating outlets with no sign of NEA guys, nauseating backlanes choked with strewn rubbish and what not.

Unless the incumbent, high salaried MP takes action to clean up this ward, the opposition has a fighting chance here.

===============================================
From Channelnewsasia

PAP team at Jalan Besar GRC ready for battle at next GE
By Imelda Saad | Posted: 24 October 2010 1911 hrs

SINGAPORE : The ruling People's Action Party (PAP) team at Jalan Besar GRC has said it is unfazed by any opposition threat at the upcoming polls, as it has always been prepared for any challenge.

The ward has been contested in the last three general elections and more recently, the opposition National Solidarity Party has expressed interested in contesting the area.

Singapore's general election is due by February 2012.

It was a resounding vote of confidence from the Jalan Besar GRC team on their chances at the next general election, as they hosted Law Minister K Shanmugam on a ministerial visit on Sunday.

The PAP, helmed by a five-member team led by Environment and Water Resources Minister Yaacob Ibrahim, won 69.3 per cent of valid votes at the last general election in 2006, when it faced off a team from the Singapore Democratic Alliance.

More recently, the opposition National Solidarity Party has been seen walking the ground.

Demographically, Jalan Besar GRC is one of the oldest wards in Singapore. Half of its residents are above the age of 50. It is also made up of many low-income Singaporeans. Ten per cent of public assistance cases in Singapore come from this area and 50 per cent of its residents live in rental housing.

So issues concerning the elderly and low-income residents dominated Sunday's dialogue session.

Observers said such issues are something that the opposition may ride on.

But its incumbent MPs remain unfazed.

MP Lily Neo said: "I do not believe in people just coming in just before elections to say 'hello' and then to disappear for the next few years and then to not see them until the next election! That is not our policy.

"Our policy is not winning elections, but it is to win people's hearts, to win people's confidence, to show them that over the years, we can serve them well, and they know that they have a team who they can trust, the team that will continue to serve them".

Mr Shanmugam gave the team his vote of confidence after touring the constituency.

He said: "The opposition must make their calculations, and what you have is a very strong MP, an MP who is extremely well liked and who is doing a lot. And I think the residents will ask themselves, 'Can anyone else do a better job?' I think they will be hard pressed to answer that question".

National Solidarity Party's Secretary-General Goh Meng Seng said his party has been consistently present in Jalan Besar since 2001.

He said: "As far as we are concerned, we are pretty consistent on the ground. (For example), we distributed rice and daily necessities last year."

However, he added that Dr Neo will prove to be a tough challenge, describing her as "the anchor" of the PAP team there.

Mr Goh said: "I think our chances will depend on several factors....(such as) whether Lily Neo will step down, because among the MPs, I think she is the anchor, she is popular, well liked and she has - through her own compassion - done quite a bit of good things there."

One of the latest initiatives launched for residents in Dr Neo's ward is called the Family Improvement Social Help.

It aims to improve the lives of residents through work programmes.

For example, the Chinatown Social Enterprise was set up to provide career opportunities for both elderly and needy residents in the area. - CNA/ms

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I live at Jalan Besar GRC, definitely not filthy, bullshit header that got nothing to do with the content!!! Not that I'm supporting PAP, but dun misled readers, pui!!! :oIo:

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal
I live at Jalan Besar GRC, definitely not filthy, bullshit header that got nothing to do with the content!!! Not that I'm supporting PAP, but dun misled readers, pui!!! :oIo:

Which part of Jalan Besar GRC? Even Tiong Bahru was under Jalan Besar GRC!

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal
The street market opposite Bugis Junction is a fire hazard. If a fire breaks out, many people will die from the fire or stampede.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
The street market opposite Bugis Junction is a fire hazard. If a fire breaks out, many people will die from the fire or stampede.

If a fire breaks out there, people will not die. front back left right all got pathways and holes to run from. Fire will spread, but people will have time to walk away. It's only if there is an explosion, then different story.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is a cowboy town, especially the area from Sungei Road to Kitchener Road. Unruly traffic with no presence of traffic policemen, filthy eating outlets with no sign of NEA guys, nauseating backlanes choked with strewn rubbish and what not.

Unless the incumbent, high salaried MP takes action to clean up this ward, the opposition has a fighting chance here.

===============================================

Demographically, Jalan Besar GRC is one of the oldest wards in Singapore. Half of its residents are above the age of 50. It is also made up of many low-income Singaporeans. Ten per cent of public assistance cases in Singapore come from this area and 50 per cent of its residents live in rental housing.

No wonder PAP got such a big percentage win in Jalan Besar. If PAP lose this ward, god knows what will happen to this 50% of residents who live in rental housing.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
MP Lily Neo said: "I do not believe in people just coming in just before elections to say 'hello' and then to disappear for the next few years and then to not see them until the next election! That is not our policy.

"Our policy is not winning elections, but it is to win people's hearts, to win people's confidence, to show them that over the years, we can serve them well, and they know that they have a team who they can trust, the team that will continue to serve them".

This is the kind of words people like to hear, whether it can or cannot be fulfilled.
Using the wrong words will become a public relations disaster.

BusNo64

Alfrescian
Loyal

see...i oredi warn u all not to criticize the pappy here or else dat pondan ahneh RC doggie Alamaking will jump here to defend his master and bite u...:rolleyes:...the pappy trained their RC doggie like Alamaking well...:rolleyes:

>>>>>Not that I'm supporting PAP<<<<

RC doggy donch support his master? dats a first for me...:rolleyes:

>>>>>> but dun misled readers, pui!!!<<<<<<<<<<

how come we neber see RC doggie Alamaking get upset abt his pappy master misleading sinkies? Did u all ever see RC doggie Alamaking criticize his pappy master here before? :rolleyes:

BusNo64

Alfrescian
Loyal
No wonder PAP got such a big percentage win in Jalan Besar. If PAP lose this ward, god knows what will happen to this 50% of residents who live in rental housing.

becos pap got very obedient RC doggie like Alamaking to porlumpar and psycho those ah kong and ah mah to vote for his pappy master...if they dont, RC doggie will threaten them...:mad:

groinroot

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not filthy? Be reasonable and give your clean rating of Jalan Berseh Food Centre? How clean are the coffee-shops along Maude Road? Townshend Road? Syed Alwi Road? If you still insist they are are all clean and meet the NEA standards of hygiene, I have no further comments.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not filthy? Be reasonable and give your clean rating of Jalan Berseh Food Centre? How clean are the coffee-shops along Maude Road? Townshend Road? Syed Alwi Road? If you still insist they are are all clean and meet the NEA standards of hygiene, I have no further comments.
Name me a GRC that have many old residential shophouses than Jalan Besar? And how confident are you that the oppositions will do a better job?

And i ask again, is your header relevant to the report?

Last edited:

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
becos pap got very obedient RC doggie like Alamaking to porlumpar and psycho those ah kong and ah mah to vote for his pappy master...if they dont, RC doggie will threaten them...:mad:
You posted a PAP's incompetent post, kaope about it, but tell people not to vote for NSP, what kind of noob shit are you? your comments are worthless to me, lol :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Name me a GRC that have many old residential shophouses than Jalan Besar? And how confident are you that the oppositions will do a better job?

And i ask again, is your header relevant with the report?

Syed Alwi, Maude road, Townshend, hygiene cleanliness consider bey pai already from that kind of crowd turnout. If bo chup, will be so much worst than current state

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After the expansion to include Kreta Ayer, I think Jalan Besar GRC has the most pre-war shophouses in Singapore. All WP, NSP and SPP HQs are located here.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Back to the topic, as long as Dr Lily Neo still in Jalan Besar GRC, there 0% chance of NSP winning in this GRC. But if its WP, it will be a different story.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After the expansion to include Kreta Ayer, I think Jalan Besar GRC has the most pre-war shophouses in Singapore. All WP, NSP and SPP HQs are located here.
Precisely, its a very old estate, but its definitely not a filthy, neglected area as TS portrayed.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I saw NSP distributing their magazine at Whampoa hawker centre, wearing orange shirt (LOL:eek::eek::biggrin::biggrin:), but the residents shunned them, quite funny :p:p

He says Dr. Lily Neo compassionate and good, but wants to send a team to contest her. Then vote NSP for what? Want to to fight compassion, he says no, NSP looks after only, no take care. What to do? Vote PAP!

Anyway, it's a stupid orange t-shirt. Only your flowey orange shirt is more stupid! :biggrin:

groinroot

Alfrescian
Loyal
Read my comments again. Where did I state that the opposition will do a better job?

Of course, my header is relevant to my post. Your silence on the state of cleanliness in the areas I mentioned confirms this.