• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

it's that time of the year - MANGO FLOWERING SEASON!

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
everywhere hdb areas u go, u would notice proliferating blossoming of mango trees. yes! it's mango flowering season. in another couple of months, we would see fat juicy mangoes hanging on the trees.

beware! this mean MANGO FINING SEASON too.

the wickedness of towncoucils prevail in maximum degree - tempting peasants with fat juicy mangoes and summoning them. the record stands at $200 per mango plucked.

please warn the poor FT lowly paid bangalas and indians about the hidden juicy fat mango traps.:mad:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
beside being a flowering city, we could be a fruiting one at the same time. i culdn't understand why are fruit trees planting in plentiful and yet citizens are prohibited from plucking it. the fruits look juicy and mangoes are really expensive! usually they are left to rot or food for birds.

what was the purpose of planting fruit trees if only they can be look at not touch or ingested?

it certainly becomes a fine trap for unwary FTs - the bangalas or maybe some tourists who thought this is indeed a very "fine friendly" cuntry.

during the kampong era, such peasants had so much fun helping themselves to the fruits. the owners of the fruit trees might rant and even let out the dog....but this just added to the fun and excitement!:biggrin:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
April 19, 2009
Mango season hits the streets
Fruit from roadside trees will be harvested for charity; bumper crop due to extended dry weather
By Shuli Sudderuddin

Volunteers at the Tampines Street 12 community garden displaying their bountiful harvest. About 300 to 400 mangoes were distributed among residents, who also enjoyed themselves at a carnival yesterday. -- PHOTO: CHEW SENG KIM

WHILE some people are wilting during the current hot, dry spell, it has been 'raining' mangos - from the roadside trees.
So much so that the National Parks Board (NParks) will have a harvest, for the first time, for charity.

Other flowering trees and shrubs have also been lush, but mango trees across the island are 'fruiting particularly heavily this year', said an NParks spokesman.

The mango harvest along Tampines avenues 2 and 4 is said to total 300 to 400 fruits. This Friday, they will be given to NParks' adopted charity, the Handicaps Welfare Association.

In the 1980s, the Government started planting fruit trees to add variety to the landscape. There are now close to 25,000 fruit trees such as coconut, mango, jackfruit and rambutan.

NParks said the bumper crop might have been triggered by the extended dry weather earlier this year.

Professor Richard Thomas Corlett of the National University of Singapore's biological sciences department explained: 'Many trees, both wild and cultivated, are flowering and fruiting more this year.

'In most cases, this is a response to the long dry period in January, when rainfall was 80 to 90 per cent below normal. This has triggered flowering between late March and now in many roadside trees and shrubs.'

He added that plants of the same species need to flower at the same time so that flowers can pollinate one another.

Assistant Professor Shawn Lum of the natural science and science education department of the National Institute of Education said mango trees tend to flower every year at this time, but that drought increases the intensity of the flowering.

There is no consensus on why this is so.

Read the full story in today's edition of The Sunday Times

[email protected]

Should you be allowed to pluck fruits growing from trees that are in public areas? Send your comments to [email protected]

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's also that time of the year - FINE FOR PLUCKING MANGOES. ( they rather the mangoes rot and go to waste.)

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
there are so many fruit trees that could ve been planted so that peasants could at least have "free" fruits. does anyone realize how expensive guavas, chikus, mangoes, rambutan n etc tropical are?

here we have instead monstrous trees that could have been replaced by practical useful fruit trees.:rolleyes:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
if u have been to the supermart, u should realise how expensive mangoes are! and here we have - planted all in our housing estates giant mango trees ladened with fruits of many varieties.

my favorite would be the apple mango - a rounded plump fruit which we find selling for about $4 each imported from oz. smooth fleshy succulent texture, not so many teeth sticking fibre and super tangy, sweet and fragrant! best for making chutney.

what we can only do is to stare lovingly at the plump mango hanging on the tree and drool. if u pluck it, risk paying like $200 ea fruit if being caught red-handed.:mad:

LeeLaoPeh

Alfrescian
Loyal
you want to steals things again ? please dont hor
temple case not close yet , later they report police you kena tua teow

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lee, it surely is not very nice to keep bumping a thread that others have no interest in. Propose to Sam to put this in the rubbish heap pls.

matamafia

Alfrescian
Loyal
everywhere hdb areas u go, u would notice proliferating blossoming of mango trees. yes! it's mango flowering season. in another couple of months, we would see fat juicy mangoes hanging on the trees.

the wickedness of towncoucils prevail in maximum degree - tempting peasants with fat juicy mangoes and summoning them. the record stands at $200 per mango plucked.

please warn the poor FT lowly paid bangalas and indians about the hidden juicy fat mango traps.:mad:

It had been a week of Steam Cooker climate I hate the high humidity & heat. Mango forget it, SG Mango are 3rd class. Must have Philippines or Indian, or at least the Aussie to have minimum standard. Thais & Malaysians also can forget it.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
It had been a week of Steam Cooker climate I hate the high humidity & heat. Mango forget it, SG Mango are 3rd class. Must have Philippines or Indian, or at least the Aussie to have minimum standard. Thais & Malaysians also can forget it.

it's everywhere fruiting heavily now. if only allowed to pluck. don't forget, these fruits are not commercially grown and are quite pesticides-free.

it such disappointment that they are allowed to drop and rot providing a feast for the birds instead.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lee, it surely is not very nice to keep bumping a thread that others have no interest in. Propose to Sam to put this in the rubbish heap pls.

tropical fruits are a difficult subject which many forummers find it hard to respond.

what my intention here is to share my bewilderment where so many mango trees are grown but not allowed to be plucked. when plucked, it would be an offence and heavily fined.

it's such a shame to let those fruits go to waste.

scoopdreams

Alfrescian
Loyal
tropical fruits are a difficult subject which many forummers find it hard to respond.

what my intention here is to share my bewilderment where so many mango trees are grown but not allowed to be plucked. when plucked, it would be an offence and heavily fined.

it's such a shame to let those fruits go to waste.

I have made the 'logical leap' that you are an expert in mango theft - and also an expert in thread bumping by rewording previous own content, without adding in value.

10/10, dude. 10/10 for finesse.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have made the 'logical leap' that you are an expert in mango theft - and also an expert in thread bumping by rewording previous own content, without adding in value.

10/10, dude. 10/10 for finesse.

alamak! some love to read only. don't u find the threads that are posted here quite boring and repetitive?

imagine if sgp planted all FRUIT TREES along our roads, parks and everywhere - it would be tropical fruits paradise!!..and hopefully FREE!:biggrin:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
in my kampong days, fruit trees were abundant. we harvested bumper crops of pesticides free fruits and shared among the neighbours.

now wouldn't that be great if FRUIT TREES are now planted all over? the kampong spirit would be alive!!

scoopdreams

Alfrescian
Loyal
alamak! some love to read only. don't u find the threads that are posted here quite boring and repetitive?

imagine if sgp planted all FRUIT TREES along our roads, parks and everywhere - it would be tropical fruits paradise!!..and hopefully FREE!:biggrin:

-laughs- i am still discovering new things in this forum everyday. Mind you, it's only day 2 for me so far. :wink: So, 'boring and repetitive'? Not yet, mate, and I hope never.

If your action to liven up the forum is this mango-ey thread, whatever moves your grooves! I respect that, though I must caution, too much mangoes can cause severe indigestion.

It'll be great if you can find out which famous personalities dig mangoes, or photos of them eating mangoes. Come up with funny captions, that'll at least be true to the theme.

p.s If by multiple not-so-subtle usage of 'FRUIT TREES', you are hoping to make us rob some public fruits, newsflash Walter Cronkite - it's not working.

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

KNN pondan fake monk, y u never say the mango WAVE AT YOU

chao ah qua :oIo::oIo::oIo:

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
you want to steals things again ? please dont hor
temple case not close yet , later they report police you kena tua teow

Senior Lee,

Ur son is a handphone thief, he say handphone wave at him, can take, mango hang like lanjiao, lagi can take, Senior Lee please teach ur son the right path, thank u.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
-laughs- i am still discovering new things in this forum everyday. Mind you, it's only day 2 for me so far. :wink: So, 'boring and repetitive'? Not yet, mate, and I hope never.

If your action to liven up the forum is this mango-ey thread, whatever moves your grooves! I respect that, though I must caution, too much mangoes can cause severe indigestion.

It'll be great if you can find out which famous personalities dig mangoes, or photos of them eating mangoes. Come up with funny captions, that'll at least be true to the theme.

p.s If by multiple not-so-subtle usage of 'FRUIT TREES', you are hoping to make us rob some public fruits, newsflash Walter Cronkite - it's not working.

if u r not local, "mango" can mean other things beside the fruits. just like papayas:wink: another thread on PAPAYAS?

it's different when used to describe as "yayaPAPAYA" which means how lian or arrogant.

hint: on flat airport runway, u cannot find any slightest "papayas". got it?:smile: