• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

is there any new Toronto immigrant in this forum?

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal
I intent to land in Toronto this June and don't seem to find anyone from Toronto in this forum.

Is it new immigrant to Toronto too busy struggling to survive or enjoying the good life and not bother at all to share their experience in this forum?

Just curious ..

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I intent to land in Toronto this June and don't seem to find anyone from Toronto in this forum.

Is it new immigrant to Toronto too busy struggling to survive or enjoying the good life and not bother at all to share their experience in this forum?

Just curious ..

This subject has been talk till death.

give specific questions and i will try to answer, given what i know.

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi CW,

Thanks for your kind response and I assumed that you are in Toronto.

Thus would be grateful if you would share what you know or from your experience on the followings:

1. During the first 3 months following the landing, what challenges do you experience or most new immigrants face in trying to settle in Toronto and how to overcome these challenges?

2. Other than looking for employment, do you know statiscally or personally what businesses are being started or acquired in Toronto by new immigrant that has higher chances of success historically and the near future?

3. Which specific areas in and around Toronto are worthwhile to invest in property for self stay and for renting out to others?

4. What challenges and how to overcome them as far as getting a mortgage is concerned for new immigrant in Toronto?

5. Maybe its good to know that subject 'had been talk to dead' which will only mean that there must be a wealth of info on Toronto somewhere here. Would you be so kind as to provide a link to the relevant page(s), I tried to find but don't seem to find it.

I have much more questions and if you would be able to help with the above for a start would be appreciated.

Once again thanks in advance for your kind advice.

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
>>1. During the first 3 months following the landing, what challenges do you experience or most new immigrants face in trying to settle in Toronto and how to overcome these challenges?<<

It all varies for each of us, finding a place to stay, learning to get around by public transport, you have to know the bus schedule, there are so many factor, you need to really know what you want and which city you want to live in. do a search for rental www.RentSeeker.ca, www.torontorentals.com, www.torontorentals.com/coops.

2. Other than looking for employment, do you know statiscally or personally what businesses are being started or acquired in Toronto by new immigrant that has higher chances of success historically and the near future?

Sorry, i am no businessman, Forumer Charlie would be able to help you in business regard

3. Which specific areas in and around Toronto are worthwhile to invest in property for self stay and for renting out to others?

If you are thinking of renting your property, it would be near University that has a higher rate of turnover, if renting out basement try to but a property with walkout basement easier to rent it out., you can do your own screening or pay property agent to do screening for you, rental in downtown TO is high, outside of GTA rent are much more lower.

>>4. What challenges and how to overcome them as far as getting a mortgage is concerned for new immigrant in Toronto?<<

Your credit rating which you have zip as far as local bank are concern, unless you are able to deposit a few hundred k, you need to get work fast, but since you are thinking of investing and doing biz, money is the least of your problem.

Hopefully it can be of some help to you, please do a search on the net it has all kind of info there, i avoid city like Markham, Scarborough and downtown TO, i prefer living in small town like Grimsby, Mississauga is nice too just need to know which area to avoid.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
It all varies for each of us,

Please use the "quote"
quote.gif
button to enclose quoted text. It makes the post much easier to read. ">>" belongs to a bygone era of newsgroups.:p

I have edited your post for you.

Dole43

Alfrescian
Loyal

Just curious ..

Hi, welcome to Toronto. Have you already planned out your landing process and your immediate first days in Toronto? Better yet, do you already have someone here to help you? Perhaps you'd already have thought out what exactly you'd be doing when you step off your flight fully laden with maximum baggage.

The GTA is a big place. If you arrive at Pearson airport, you are in Mississauga and not Toronto. Getting to Toronto downtown is confusing. Getting out of the airport is confusing. Renting a car and trying to make sense of the ramps leading out of the airport is confusing.

Some points to note:

- Getting through the immigration and customs process. Have your COPR ready to present to the immigration counter. You will be re-directed to a larger room to be further processed at another counter. Have everything correct and accurate. I saw the guy in the next counter being detained for false information. You will be given a welcome package. Then you're out and on your way. Next go through the customs office. This is where you submit your forms for Goods Accompanying, and Goods to Follow. You'll need a VISA card to borrow the baggage cart and to pay any customs fees.

- Getting from the airport to your place of accomodation. I suggest booking a hotel that provides free shuttle bus from the airport. I do not suggest picking up a rental car from the airport. The multiple layers of ramps from the airport is daunting. If you must drive, have a very good GPS.

- Getting your social insurance and banking done. You'll need to be mobile to do this. Your Singapore drivers licence is valid for 30 days, then you can't drive. Open a HSBC Premiere account while still in Singapore, they will arrange for a canadian version of VISA card to collect from here which you can start using immediately. Any demand draft that you bring to deposit to open a bank here can be stuck for 6 weeks, so don't rely on your dd as your primary source of funds initially.

- Getting food from your location. Again, need to be mobile or else end up ordering room service. If your hotel has groceries nearby, then the area probably isn't that good.

- Scout out the neighbourhoods, you might like some areas, and not others. What you see on Google Earth may not look the same at eye level. Some cues, check out the cars on the street, and the tidiness of the homes. It'll give you an idea of the income level of the street.

- Getting your Ontario Drivers licence. I suggest signing up for proper driver's training. Don't kay kiang cho hero like me, eventually I signed up for training. The rules here are very different. Their definition of emergency stop is different from our Sgp method. Go to Traffic Police in Ubi and pay the $10 for the certificate of no violations. DriveTest will give you credit for it and waive the 12-month waiting period for the graduated licencing scheme.

- Getting your car, and insurance for your car. Too many choices of cars and all very affordable by Singapore standard. Pay more and buy from certified dealers, or else get cheated by the unethical ones. Insurance is very expensive, you'll be starting from scratch like an eighteen year old. Get a letter of no claim from your insurer, it helps a bit.

- Viewing properties, home inspections. Get a good GPS, check MLS, and happy house hunting. View from the outside first, chances are you might not like the street, the facing, the neighbours etc. Get your realtor to arrange for internal viewings when you like everything about its outside. New suburb house in former meadow plot looks nice but is not necessarily better than old 50 year old homes. The older homes may be of solid timber and withstood the test of time whereas you don't know how long the chipboard of the new house will hold up.

- Getting in-principal loan approvals from the banks before closing your purchase. Standby 25% in cash for the downpayment. Anything below and you'll need a job reference and incur additional cost of annual mortgage insurance.

The GTA is large and stretches 50km east to Whitby and 50km west to Hamilton from Toronto downtown. Buying houses in Toronto incurs the extra Toronto tax that does not apply to other parts of the GTA. The nicer the house is, the higher the annual property tax. This amount can range from $2500 to $5000 or more. There are countless nature trails and falls on the west. There is a nuclear power station on the east. Almost everyone is Chinese in Scarborough and Indian in Brampton. We'll blend right in. It is against the law to display racism so everyone is polite and politically correct or else get sued. Be prepared for a high level of multiculturalism.

By the way, Toronto is not that cold as it has the lake effect to moderate. All houses are well insulated and the winter is not too bad if you are used to the kind of aircon in a singapore office building. I also hear anecdotes that it is cheaper to live day-to-day in Toronto than Vancouver.

I don't know how much you have researched already, let me know if there's anything you want to know about. It would be nice if you can provide a bit of your background, whether there are kids and therefore schools, etc.

Last edited:

Dole43

Alfrescian
Loyal
Forgot to add, when landing, you'll need a local address for the most important 3 things.

- Immigration at the airport will ask for a local address. This is the address that they will mail your PR card to in 4 to 6 weeks. Once given, I don't know of a way to change this address. Go to CIC in downtown Toronto?

- Customs where you submit your Goods Accompanying and Goods to Follow forms will need an address. Do not leave the address field blank, they will insist you fill it in on the spot.

- Before you open your banking account(s), you will need your SIN number. So first thing is to go to the SIN office. You will need to furnish an address for the SIN card to be mailed to.

- When you open a bank account, you need to give an address. Bank will ask for your SIN, just say you don't have but will give later. If you want to apply for the VISA card without any credit history, just open a savings account and park $2000 there as security for a secured credit card.

- Lastly, go register for OHIP, it takes 3 months to become eligible. Keep your Singapore health insurance in case you suay suay something happen to you in the 3 months. Needless to say, need the address again.

- Now go to DriveTest to take your written test to get your G1 license. As soon as you get your G1, technically it overides your Singapore 30 days license, or the 60 days if you bought the International Driving Permit. G1 license cannot operate a vehicle alone without a qualified person. I already checked this at the police station, its illegal to drive on a G1 alone even though the Singapore driving license is still valid within the 30 days. To overcome this issue, you take the G1 so that you can start the license acquisition process, stagger with your wife (assuming you are family), she keeps her Singapore license or Int'l permit to drive you around legally. You'll still want to drive to practise, so do it but don't get caught. Your adress will be reflected in the drivers id.

That's it until I recall any other important tip.

Dole43

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi CW,

As for renting out to others, might want to consider renting out a Singapore property rather than a Toronto property. If you're into condos, Toronto condos get old and the poor move in, whereas Singapore condo simply just enbloc every 15 years or so.

As landlord, the by-law says you have to provide minimum heating of 21 degress from Sept to June at your expense. Cannot anyhow turn off heat to save money. Also, the houses here are not built of rebar concrete, mortar and bricks like in Sgp, many things can spoil easily. The tenants maybe new immigrants themselves from all parts of the world. The good ones, they also know how to quickly go buy their own houses.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal

Just curious ..

intend is a verb

intent is a noun

I intend to do emigrate to Toronto

My intent is to be a successful immigrant

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Dole43,

Please accept my sincere thanks to you for taking your valuable time to recollect and pen down so much useful information to help me and others in the forum in the same situation. I am sure they are as grateful to you as I am.

Though I know no one in Toronto, your response as well as Chuckyworld, Asychee, Bernard and others do tell me that I will not be alone when in Toronto and I felt warm by each of your welcome message.

1st month temporary accomodation upon landing
Since I know no one in Toronto and hotels are expensive to rent for a month, I reckon my best bet is to rent an apartment from operators like SafeHomestay or JessieHouse. Their location is right in Toronto city and would be convenient to go to the various goverment agencies I think. These accomodation operators claims to want to help new immigrant settle in Toronto so I think its a good choice for me. I will use their address for PR card, SIN card, driving license etc. I would appreciate if there is any advice on a better temporary accomodation arrangement.

Children's Education
I have 3 children currently studying in Secondary 2, 3 and the eldest just completed Poly 2nd year.

My eldest is applying to the universities and the response so far from the Universities is not very favourable as they (Uni) don't recognise his Poly 2nd year for Transfer Credit. The Uni replied that they only recognise 'A' Level for admission. However, he was offered places to continue his studies in the colleges.

From my web research, there will not be much of an issue for my two younger ones to enrol to secondary schools. If I am wrong about this, please advise.

Looking for an income
The first month there would probably be focused on exploring possible sources of income i.e. looking for a job and businesses / property investment. I will be grateful to any Samster willing to share their experiences and their success / failure.

Financial Arrangement prior to 'landing'
Opening an HSBS Premier Account here to facilitate transfer of funds between Canada / Singapore as well as serves as a Credit Rating reference for Canada banks. I did not get definitive answer from the HSBC Relationship Manager (RM) on the Credit rating transfer but then again at least the transfer of funds will be much easier with a Premier Account.

Canada Taxes
I am also thinking what arrangement I need to make here before landing to protect my assets so that it won't be tax unnecessarily in Canada after landing. I would appreciate any advise on this matter too.

That's all for now and am sure grateful to you all for your helpful responses so far.

Best personal regards to all. :smile:

Malxsin

Dole43

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Malxsin,

Accomodation: I'm not familiar with those operators so I can't comment. As long as you have a way to get from the airport to their downtown address. An alternative is to search on MLS for a landlord who will do a lease of half a year. These are rare and they charge a premium. If you do find one in the west, you can send me the link and I'll get my realtor to check it out for you. If your budget is CAD 2000/mth there are lots of possibilities everywhere. Personally I'm not into Toronto city that much, hardly go there, detached homes are pricey, and the high rise apartments in North York look too much like Sgp.

Education: The schools are zoned, your address determines the school your children can attend. There are 2 types, the public schools and the catholic schools. The curriculum are identical except that the catholic schools require an additional subject which is religion. Did you say you're landing in June? That will be the exam month and July & August is the school summer break. Term restarts in September. The schools are unlikely to start your kids in June. Send the younger kids to the TDSB or TCDSB to take their assessments, its a few hours writing tests and the assessor will fax the recommendations to the zoned schools. Visit the school to enquire and register. Your 14yo (1996?) will begin secondary school in Sept in Grade 9 with kids who are also starting in a new secondary school themselves. Your 15yo will join the Year 2 of secondary school in Gr 10 in Sept. Registration for summer school for your 15yo is now, so you probably can't make it in time for that. Anyway, you'll be in your temp downtown accomodation and busy with househunting and such. School, books and schoolbus is free. You pay for uniform if its catholic school. Check the schoolbus routes, your house might not be on the route. My personal theory subject to debate is that downtown school not that good, suburb schools better, my logic being that mid-income families raising kids tend to live in suburbs, hence schoolmates come from similar background.

Banking: HSBC Premier Singapore will transfer your credit rating to HSBC Premier Canada. They are different entities and have no link. Don't believe everything your Singapore RM says, they have no idea other than to grab and hold on to your deposits. You will be asked to choose a branch and assigned an RM in Canada. Choose this branch carefully, it is very lecheh to change branch and RM. The credit rating does not apply to other banks in Canada, those you start from scratch. Your landlord, car dealer may want banker's cheque and not personal cheques as payment, HSBC Premier gives you these bankers cheques FOC.

Taxes: I don't know if you are still holding on to sgp assets ie. shares, property. Canada taxes on capital gains. Being kiasu, get your holdings valuation updated to landing date, then at least you can argue any capital gain start from June 2010. Supposing you bought a house long ago at lower price, by now it has appreciated and down the road you sell it and pocket capital gains, you wouldn't want to pay tax on all of that gains, only the portion of gains post June 2010. Any tax experts here care to comment, I also need to find out more about such matters.

Point to note, you will find that you will pay and pay for this and for that and everything is all about money, or rather having enough of it offhand. That's because you're starting from scratch trying to re-establish a life as quickly as posiible. Once you're done with the expenses of opening utility and communications accounts, putting down the various deposits, the expense of re-stocking your barang barang, learn where to get the cheaper stuff, paying house-buying inspection costs, things will become better. By the way, as in Singapore property transaction, seller foots the commission, buyer pays nothing.

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Charlie9,

Thank you for the vocab correction and your good intention for all to practice using good english.

It would be great if you intend to share some tips or advice for new immigrants to Toronto too.

Kind regards

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Dole43,

1st Accomodation upon landing
The operators I mentioned do provide transport from Pearson to their place at a cost. I think should be OK.

My only concern is, will using this temp address for my PR card, Driving License, SIN etc cause much inconvenience later on when I need to change them after a more permanent place to stay is found?

Education
Since the address determines which school my children can attend, does it mean we have to identify which school and area to stay before registration for school term ends? Wow! when does registration for Sept school term ends?

Appreciate any advice from Samsters on reasonably good school in popular suburb with good mix of Canadians and asians. Thanks in advance.

As for my eldest child whom had just completed his 2nd year Poly here, the intent is for him to complete studies in the University.

Despite him getting 'As' and 'Bs' for all his subjects, UT only recognise 'A' Level for undergraduate admission and I was just informed by my son that his application for admission to UT was not successful. Two other Us i.e. McMillan and Waterloo had yet to decide on his application. I am not optimistic about him gaining admission to U with his 2 year Poly study but let's see.

He had also applied for admission to Colleges leading to a Diploma. In fact, he was accepted by two colleges as of now. One of these colleges is Humber College but the issue is they want him to start from year 1 for a 3 year Diploma course. That would mean a step back (wasted 2 years Poly study here), hence he would need to do another 3 years for a Canadian Diploma follow by another 3 to 4 years for a degree. Not sure if he will ever get tired of study!

Another option I am asking him to explore is to spend a year in Grade 12 and sit for the test. This way he only needs a year to gain direct entry to U if his Grade 12 results are good. He is now checking on this approach I hope.

Any advice here will be appreciated.

Banking
Noted on the need to choose carefully for a Branch and RM but I intend to open the Canadian HSBC Premier Account from here so that when I land, I would have credit card and bank facilities readily available. Any recommendation on HSBC branch and RM to choose from Samsters' experiences would be appreciated?

Taxes
Yeah, would look forward to more Samsters to share their views on this subject matter.

'Pay And Pay' feeling when you are in Toronto initially
Sigh, that sounds all too familiar to us, but the good thing is, as you said, this 'PAP' feel is only during the initial settling in phase and not a lifelong thingy.

Best regards to all :smile:

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
I did it a very way

Hi Charlie9,

Thank you for the vocab correction and your good intention for all to practice using good english.

It would be great if you intend to share some tips or advice for new immigrants to Toronto too.

Kind regards

Before I try to recall my situation, allow me to make another suggestion re: English,
practise / advise is a verb -- To improve, one has to practise regularly. Please advise me of the various alternatives.
practice / advice is a noun -- There is soccer practice every Tuesday and Thursday. Your advice is much appreciated.
I am also very fussy with our children's English, spelling and writing, because once an individual becomes careless, he or she will lack the discipline to improve on it.

It is almost 29 years since I arrived in Toronto, after completing my university education in SG. I was no where near the top, did not graduate with honours, but I made sure I passed all my exams on the first try, and avoided the dreaded Supplementary Exams in May at SU. I did it very differently from the majority of other immigrants. I came to Toronto on a Work Visa via an exchange program under the auspices of AIESEC (Association Internationale du Etudiants en Science Economique et Commerce). My work visa was supposed to be only for one year. But I indicated an interest to qualify as a CA, and my manager recommended, and the company was supportive, and my work visa was renewed on an annual basis until I qualified as a Chartered Accountant. Then, under the old rules, I had to travel out of Canada (I chose to apply through the Canadian Consulate in Detroit although it was farther away, because Buffalo was too busy at that time) to obtain the application forms to apply for "landed immigrant status" (now referred to as permanent residence), to submit the completed forms in person, to attend the interview (very informal for my situation because Immigration Canada knew that I had been in Toronto for several years, and appeared to have adapted well to the Canadian environment), and to pick up the landed immigrant documents.

I arrived in Toronto with $1,500 and two suitcases, without any driver's licence and without a bank account. I am unable to recall the documents which I had to complete at Toronto Pearson International Airport to obtain a Social Insurance Card (for non-immigrants, the first digit is a 9, that is 9xx xxx xxx). AIESEC had arranged for a U of T graduate to pick me up at the airport, and arranged for rented accommodation for me. On the first day of work in Sep 1981, I went to the Main Branch of the Bank of Montreal, First Canadian Place, King and Bay Streets, Toronto, to open a bank account so that the company can make a direct deposit of my net pay. I continue to use the same bank account.

Last edited:

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Income Taxes in Canada

NOT ADVICE, but for Discussions Only

In the old days, the major accounting firms published a booklet called "Doing Business in Canada (and many other countries)" Perhaps, you may wish to inquire whether Deloitte, or Ernst & Young, or PricewaterhouseCoopers has one of those.

With respect to schools, I believe that you have to be a Catholic to attend a Catholic School, and the Toronto Catholic District School Board probably will ask the student or his parents to provide a baptism certificate. There are several good schools in Toronto, not just the suburbs. We have a child in the gifted program cum French Immersion at St Bonaventure (Leslie and Lawrence Ave East), and a child in St. Michael's Choir School (google to find out more - SMCS audition all grade 2 boys [more than 2,000] in the Greater Toronto Area, those selected are invited for an audition, vocal and hearing, thereafter, those who are successful, has to write an academic test before being invited for one of 23 places in Grade 3). We habe another child at a neighbourhood Catholic School, where all our children started JK at age 4.

May I suggest that perhaps, you may wish to do as much research as possible, be determined, perservere, and roll with the tide once in a while, but not be too anxious to be "successful" within a short period of time. Good health and fitness are equally important. An individual does not have to be in one of the traditional professions, such as law, medicine, accounting, engineering, because skilled, qualified and certified tradesmen / tradespeople [bricklayers, electricians, mechanics, plumbers, etc.] do earn a very good income and have a very comfortable lifestyle. Contrary to many younger individuals' perception, a degree in general arts or science or business (B Comm or BBA) does not enhance the individual's chances of gaining employment (if he or she chooses that alternative). An individual probably has to be amongst the top ten percent to be hired by the big accounting or law firms. However, continuing education as a scientist (Masters or Ph.D.) or MBA will probably increase the opportunities. A graduate who completes teachers trg (OIESE ?) may not necessary find a full time position because I heard that it is very competitive.

Back to your eldest child's situation, where he apparently has completed two years at a Polytechnic. One alternative is to consider completing or graduating from the Polytechnic in SG, before emigrating to Canada. Personally, I do not favour colleges in Canada.

I believe that it is important for all your children to assimilate as soon as possible, by interacting with other Canadian students, and avoid spending too much time with other Chinese and Asian students. Your two younger children may or may not be at the "magic age of about 13 or 14" which make it easier for them to acquire the accent of the new environment. Notwithstanding the afore discussions, may I suggest that your family members and you try to avoid Singlish, but constantly practise speaking and writing standard English, if there is such a term.

Allow me to re-read your posts to determine whether or not I can think of other matters which I may be able to make any suggestion(s).

Last edited:

Dole43

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Malxsin,

I googled SafeHomeStay, I might be opiniated but based on their website and photo albums their accomodation doesn't quiet appeal to me, but that's me. They're someone's houses and apt subletting out room by room. Sibei ho tan. What I don't understand is why would they be coy about their location address, giving xx for house numbers? Anyway I figured out its 6 Lockmere and 10 Allenbury. Use maps.google.com and walk the 'man' outside the houses and see if the street still looks ok to you.

How long do you plan to put up at SafeHomeStay? Your PR card takes 4 - 6 weeks to arrive there. More importantly, is North York where you want to operate out of? Or have you narrowed down a preferred location? I know of people who like that part of Toronto that includes Scarborough, Richmond Hill & Markham. Lots of PRC there, and I mean really a lot. Rich ones too, not the average ah tiong that goes to singapore. Search MLS for rental and sale prices around there to get an idea.

Popular suburb is relative. Cheaper locations popular with those with lower budget, choice suburbs popular with rich people, ethnic suburbs popular with the respective ethnicity and so on. I think you might like locations west of the airport. Start with Mississauga, consider Oakville, Halton Hills, and going further southwest to Burlington, Hamilton or even beyond. These areas are more more evenly mixed culturally. MLS is your friend and will give you a very good idea of the kind of standard of house and location that suits you.

Most likely, you will prioritize your choice of general location, then followed by the street of your house, then see which school is covered in the zone. If your choice of house is decent, surroundings is decent, I'm sure the school will be pretty good. Everyone has his opinion what constitutes a good school. Majority chinese kids with high grades in asian area = good school? Or math whiz indian kids in indian suburb = good school? If your house is rental, and you later buy somewhere else, your kids will have to change school when you move yet again. Renting has its good point, you learn what is it you like or don't like then solve it when you buy a more permanant house.

I just dropped by at a secondary school to enquire, there's no clear answer for your son. I assume he's 1992, and this cohort is doing their Gr12 final term until June. They enter uni in Sept. You seem to have a very good plan.For discussion sake, lets say your son does his Gr12 with the 1993s. He gets assessed and transfers his 'O' levels and poly credits towards the 30 credits to graduate high school. His singapore history and geography are different so he might have to take the canadian version. Then he has to fulfill the 40 hours of community work, my own experience is they won't accept his 100 hours of singapore CIP. I don't know, the only way to find out is to come take the assessment and then see how many credits the school wants to transfer. Of course the best solution is he manages to get into some uni, like his cohort will be doing in Sept.

Banking: Your singapore RM will ask you to choose a Canadian branch where you want to collect your ATM and VISA card from. I suggest one that is not downtown Toronto. Very lecheh to go downtown and find parking. If you are going to be in Mississauga, The Chase branch is good. So is the one in Hurontario Mississauga downtown.

Again, if you should find a house you'd like to rent on MLS, email them if they can do short-term. Anything to get out of SafeHomeStay as quickly as possible. If its in the west covering Mississauga, Oakville to Burlington, I can scope it out for you then you just come inspect and sign the lease. And if you do find something, then forget about SafeHomeStay, just go to a nice hotel suite with cooking facilities like Staybridge for a week then get out.

Last edited:

Dole43

Alfrescian
Loyal
Only the catholic elementary schools require baptism certs, both the child's and the parents'. The catholic secondary schools accept any student from all faiths. Due to zoning, the catholic elementary schools tend to be feeder schools to the catholic secondary schools.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Catholic Schools in Toronto

Only the catholic elementary schools require baptism certs, both the child's and the parents'. The catholic secondary schools accept any student from all faiths. Due to zoning, the catholic elementary schools tend to be feeder schools to the catholic secondary schools.

Pardon me, I am unaware that the Toronto Catholic Schools accept students who are not Catholics. I assume that for a student to attend at a Catholic school, his or her parents would have to indicate that their property taxes go towards the TCDSB, not the TDSB.