• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is there a God?

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

What does it mean that God is a God of wonders?​

ANSWER

The one true God is a God of wonders. The Bible is replete with accounts of the great acts God has performed for His people. Over and over the book of Psalms recounts the wonderful deeds the Lord has accomplished. Among His most wondrous achievements is the act of redemption. When we say that God is a God of wonders, we mean that He is a God who carries out miraculous works. The Lord’s wonders declare His absolute control over events, people, and powers, and reveal His presence among His people.

Both the Old and New Testament showcase God’s wondrous acts. In the Old Testament, two Hebrew words are translated “wonder” in English: mopheth and pala. Mopheth means “a splendid or remarkable work” or “miracle.” The term is often associated with the “signs and wonders” God performed through Moses during the exodus from Egypt: “So the LORD brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm, with great terror and with signs and wonders” (Deuteronomy 26:8).

Pala means “wondrous works” or “marvelous deeds” and frequently appears in the psalms: “We give thanks to you, O God; we give thanks, for your name is near. We recount your wondrous deeds” (Psalm 75:1, ESV). These marvelous works by the God of wonders are unique displays of divine power that go far beyond human ability and power.

The New Testament also gives reasons why God is called the God of wonders, using the Greek words thaumasios, megaleios, and teras. In Matthew 21:15, the miracles of Jesus are called “wonderful things” (thaumasios). In Acts 5:12, Luke speaks of many “signs and wonders” (megaleios) performed by the apostles. And in 2 Corinthians 12:12, the marks of a true apostle include “signs, wonders [teras] and miracles.”

God’s wonders reveal His omnipotence. The plagues—each one directed at one of Egypt’s false gods—revealed Yahweh’s absolute power over all other gods: “When I raise my powerful hand and bring out the Israelites, the Egyptians will know that I am the LORD” (Exodus 7:5, NLT). Not only did the Egyptians encounter God’s supreme power, but the Israelites also received assurance that their God was fully capable of defending them against the Egyptians.

Through divine actions, the God of wonders reveals His character, His purposes, and His power on earth. In response, people who witness His miracles are filled with awe and wonder: “Look among the nations, and see; wonder and be astounded. For I am doing a work in your days that you would not believe if told” (Habakkuk 1:5, ESV).

The pagan King Nebuchadnezzar witnessed the miraculous power of the Lord Most High. The wondrous deeds he experienced included a dream that was revealed and interpreted, three Hebrews being delivered from a fiery furnace, and the loss and restoration of Nebuchadnezzar’s sanity and kingdom. In response, Nebuchadnezzar enthusiastically praised the God of wonders: “It is my pleasure to tell you about the miraculous signs and wonders that the Most High God has performed for me. How great are his signs, how mighty his wonders! His kingdom is an eternal kingdom; his dominion endures from generation to generation” (Daniel 4:2–3).

God’s wonders reveal His love and protection. The Lord led His people through the wilderness with a miraculous pillar of cloud by day and pillar of fire by night (Exodus 13:21–22). He fed them with manna (Exodus 16). He provided water from a rock (Exodus 17). Through it all, the God of wonders showed the people of Israel His limitless care and protection.

God’s wonders carry out acts of judgment. When Aaron’s sons offered unauthorized fire before the Lord, God consumed them with fire (Leviticus 10:1–3). When Korah, Dathan, and Abiram rebelled against Moses, they were swallowed up by the earth, and their supporters were destroyed by the Lord’s fire (Numbers 16:1–35).

God’s wonders reveal His kingdom. In the New Testament, the God of wonders authenticated His presence at a critical point in the history of salvation. God Himself entered human history in the Person of the Son, made incarnate. Jesus Christ is the greatest wonder of all. Through His ministry, which was accompanied by wondrous miracles, He confirmed the presence of God and the nearness of His kingdom.

God’s wonders are supernatural acts beyond human understanding. Through extraordinary signs, the God of wonders demonstrates His limitless power, His inescapable presence, His divine protection, and His sovereign purposes. In each instance, God’s wondrous works are designed to draw people to Himself. Through His most stunning of all miracles, the God of wonders revealed Himself in Jesus Christ, overcame the power of sin and death, and redeemed His people for all eternity.

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

All the Miracles of the Bible by Herbert Lockyer

More insights from your Bible study - Get Started with Logos Bible Software for Free!

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why is seeking God important?​

ANSWER

In his letter to the church in Rome, Paul quotes an astonishing statement from the Psalms: “There is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God” (Romans 3:11). How can Paul, and David before him, make such a sweeping declaration? Of all who have ever lived, not even one person has really sought after God? There’s no question that billions of people have sought after a god, but they have not always sought after the true God.

This fact ties directly to Adam and Eve’s sin prompted by Satan’s deception. Throughout the history of mankind, the treachery promulgated by Satan has been so thorough that the natural man can perceive only bits and pieces of the real truth about God. As a result, our conceptions about God are blurred. It’s only when God chooses to reveal Himself to us that the pieces begin to fall together as our eyes are opened to truth. Then, truly seeking God becomes possible.

Jesus tells us in John 17:3, “Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.” Here Jesus is telling us that our continuing to seek God, desiring to know Him more, is the essence of true life, eternal life. The most important thoughts our minds can entertain are thoughts of God, because they will determine the quality and direction of life. Seeking God, then, is an ongoing responsibility and privilege for all Christians.

But we also know that seeking God is not always an easy thing to do, not because God is elusive, but because our minds are saturated with misconceptions and deceits planted by Satan and reinforced by the culture, not to mention the sinful nature of our own hearts and the general deceitfulness of sin (Jeremiah 17:9; James 1:13–15). But the good news is that these mistaken beliefs are done away with through coming to know God and growing in our relationship with Him. This starts when we turn to Him for salvation and put our trust in Jesus Christ. When we are saved, we receive the indwelling Holy Spirit who helps us to know God and even transforms our hearts to want to seek Him (Ephesians 1:13–14; Philippians 1:6; 2:12–13; Romans 8:26–30). Romans 12:2 counsels, “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” We learn the truth about God and seek Him through reading His Word (the Bible). We seek God also through prayer and in times of worship. We seek God both individually and corporately. Spending time with other believers in Jesus who are also seeking God is important to help us continue to seek Him (Hebrews 10:24–25).

Second Chronicles 15:2–4 is instructive for us. This passage was written over two thousand years ago to a people like us: “[Azariah the prophet] went out to meet Asa and said to him, ‘Listen to me, Asa and all Judah and Benjamin. The LORD is with you when you are with him. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will forsake you. For a long time Israel was without the true God, without a priest to teach and without the law. But in their distress they turned to the LORD, the God of Israel, and sought him, and he was found by them.’”

Their instructions were simple: when they sincerely sought God, things went well, but when their desire to seek Him waned and eventually ceased altogether, their world came apart. Sin increased, morality declined, and contact with God ceased. The admonitions to the children of God of that time are clear to us today: “If you seek him, he will be found by you.” This profound principle is repeated throughout Scripture (Deuteronomy 4:29; Jeremiah 29:13; Matthew 7:7; Acts 17:27; James 4:8). The idea is that, when we draw near to God, He reveals Himself to us. God does not hide Himself from the seeking heart.

“But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you seek him with all your heart and with all your soul” (Deuteronomy 4:29).

“You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart” (Jeremiah 29:13).

“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you” (Matthew 7:7).

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

Relentless: The Unshakable Presence of a God Who Never Leaves by Michele Cushatt

More insights from your Bible study - Get Started with Logos Bible Software for Free!

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why are there times in my life when finding God is so difficult?​

ANSWER

Some of the most promising and spectacular words ever spoken by God are found in the book of Jeremiah: “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you” (Jeremiah 29:13–14). And sometimes, in our quest for finding God, it appears that He wants to remind us of this extraordinary promise. We’re deeply troubled, so we fervently pray. We’re distressed, so we cry out to God for relief. But sometimes all we hear in reply is a silence so deafening it drowns out every thought but this: God isn’t listening. So we ask, “Has God abandoned me?”

Many believers have experienced the feeling that finding God is difficult or impossible. After C. S. Lewis lost his wife to cancer, he called out to God for comfort but sensed no reply. Confused, he asked, “What can this mean? Why is He so present a commander in our time of prosperity and so very absent a help in time of trouble?”

The Scripture speaks of cries for help from those who are intent on finding God: “Will the Lord reject forever? Will he never show his favor again? Has his unfailing love vanished forever? Has his promise failed for all time?” (Psalm 77:7–8).

This prayer of the psalmist communicates the heart of someone focused on finding God: “O God, do not keep silent; be not quiet, O God, be not still” (Psalm 83:1).

At times, finding God seems difficult, even for those who have a relationship with Him. Changes in life bring uncertainty: the loss of a job, a divorce, a job promotion, the birth of a child. Some have referred to these unexpected changes in life as “divine interruptions.” Even when the change is positive, it can interrupt our feelings of well-being and leave us feeling alone. The question arises, “Where is God anyway? Why am I having such a difficult time finding God?”

It’s important to remember that, in finding God, the promise of Jeremiah 29:13–14 is never nullified by our subjective feelings. Just because we feel that God is far from us doesn’t mean He is. In fact, He has told us that He will never leave us or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5). Since God never lies, we reject incorrect conclusions about our circumstances when those conclusions contradict what we know about God from His Word. We walk by faith, not by sight (2 Corinthians 5:7).

For the key to finding God, we have to go back to Psalm 77. After the psalmist laments that God has rejected him and His love has vanished (verses 7–8), he comes to his senses and writes verses 11–12, giving us the two-part solution to feeling abandoned by God: “I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago. I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds.” First, the psalmist determines to remember God’s deeds and His miracles. Just remembering how God saved us from a life of futility and an eternity in hell should give us a proper perspective on His love. When we think of the many times God has intervened in our lives in the form of answered prayer, we are reminded of His faithfulness. Some people find it helpful to keep a journal of answered prayer that they can refer back to in the “dry” times of doubts and confusion.

Second, the psalmist determines to meditate on God’s Word to reach his objective of finding God. Meditating on God’s Word is the only sure way to come to right conclusions about God. Those who are “blessed” in Psalm 1 are those who mediate on God’s law—the Bible—“day and night.” God’s Word delights us (Psalm 1:2) and makes us strong, fruitful, and able to withstand life’s storms without withering (verse 3). To neglect the Word is to neglect the only means of sanctification in our lives (John 17:17) and to leave ourselves open to the lies of the devil, who would like nothing better than to convince us that God has abandoned us.

Jeremiah promises that, when we seek God with all our hearts, God will be found. As Paul told the Athenians, God “is not far from any one of us. ‘For in him we live and move and have our being’” (Acts 17:27–28). As we embark on the never-ending quest to find God in every single day, we remember and meditate on His mighty works, and we welcome His “divine interruptions.”

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

Relentless: The Unshakable Presence of a God Who Never Leaves by Michele Cushatt

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

What does it mean that God is infinite?​

ANSWER

The infinite nature of God simply means that God exists outside of and is not limited by time or space. Infinite simply means “without limits.” When we refer to God as "infinite," we generally refer to Him with terms like omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence.

Omniscience means that God is all-knowing or that He has unlimited knowledge. His infinite knowledge is what qualifies Him as sovereign ruler and judge over all things. Not only does God know everything that will happen, but He also knows all things that could have possibly happened. Nothing takes God by surprise, and no one can hide sin from Him. There are many verses in the Bible where God reveals this aspect of His nature. One such verse is 1 John 3:20: “...God is greater than our heart, and knows all things.”

Omnipotence means that God is all-powerful or that He has unlimited power. Having all power is significant because it establishes God’s ability to carry out His sovereign will. Because God is omnipotent and has infinite power, nothing can stop His decreed will from happening, and nothing can thwart or stop His divine purposes from being fulfilled. There are many verses in the Bible where God reveals this aspect of His nature. One such verse is Psalm 115:3: “But our God is in the heavens; He does whatever He pleases.” Or when answering His disciples' question “Then who can be saved?” (Matthew 19:25), Jesus says, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible” (Matthew 19:26).

Omnipresence means that God is always present. There is no place that you could go to escape God’s presence. God is not limited by time or space. He is present at every point of time and space. God’s infinite presence is significant because it establishes that God is eternal. God has always existed and will always exist. Before time began, God was. Before the world or even matter itself was created, God was. He has no beginning or end, and there was never a time He did not exist, nor will there be a time when He ceases to exist. Again, many verses in the Bible reveal this aspect of God’s nature to us, and one of them is Psalm 139:7-10: “Where can I go from Thy Spirit? Or where can I flee from Thy presence? If I ascend to heaven, Thou art there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, Thou art there. If I take the wings of the dawn, If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea, Even there Thy hand will lead me, And Thy right hand will lay hold of me.”

Because God is infinite, He is also said to be transcendent, which simply means that God is exceedingly far above creation and is both greater than creation and independent of it. What this means is that God is so infinitely above and beyond us and our ability to fully comprehend that, had He not revealed Himself, we would not know or understand what He is like. But, thankfully, God has not left us ignorant about Himself. Instead, He has revealed Himself to us through both general revelation (creation and our conscience) and special revelation (the written Word of God, the Bible, and the living Word of God, Jesus Christ). Therefore, we can know God, and we can know how to be reconciled to Him and how to live according to His will. Despite the fact that we are finite and God is infinite, we can know and understand God as He has revealed Himself to us.

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

Knowing God by J.I. Packer

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

What is the god of self?​

ANSWER

A god is what we run to when we need validation, help, or encouragement because we believe it has the power to give us what we need. Self is a compelling god because it arises from our deepest desires and impulses. The god of self is manifest in willfulness, pride, disobedience, ostentation, defiance, intemperance, and generally wanting one’s own way.

When the serpent tempted Eve to disobey God’s direct command about eating the forbidden fruit, he appealed to the god of self. He used feigned incredulity to tempt her to consider God’s command unfair: “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?” (Genesis 3:1). The god of self began to awaken as it questioned God’s motives. Eve’s response: “We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die’” (Genesis 3:2) She added the words you must not touch it, which God had never said. A competing god was asserting itself by suggesting that the Lord’s instruction was too restrictive and therefore should be challenged.

The god of self arises in us when we think we know better than God. We disagree with His Word and elevate our own opinion above His. Paul challenged the god of self in 2 Corinthians 10:5: “We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God.” Speculations and lofty things are footprints left by the god of self as it tramples down absolutes to erect its own throne in our hearts. We think or say things like, “If I were God, I certainly wouldn’t act that way” or “I don’t see why God would do this or that.” Wrestling with difficult truths about God is healthy as we learn more about Him, but exalting ourselves and our human opinions over God’s infinite wisdom is giving place to the god of self.

The god of self is very much active within the church today. Self-help, self-esteem, self-love, and self-fulfillment are topics once left to secular psychologists. Now they are regular themes in mainline Christianity. The awesome, holy God described in Scripture as a “consuming fire” (Deuteronomy 4:24; Hebrews 12:29) and who will “smite the nations with the sword of His mouth” (Revelation 19:15) is considered important only inasmuch as He validates our worth or makes us feel good about ourselves. The god of self will gladly worship a God of love but resists learning about His other qualities because those will dethrone self.

The god of self is a hero in cultural Christianity. Self is the major theme of the prosperity gospel. Wrapping the god of self in Bible verses does nothing to dilute its deceptive power. Satan himself knows Scripture better than we do and even tried using it to tempt the Lord (Luke 4:1–13). Worshipers of the god of self want just enough Jesus to feel better about themselves but not enough to pick up a cross and follow Him (Luke 9:23).

We know we are worshiping the god of self when we approach God’s Word reservedly. The Bible may say one thing, but the self will want something else, and we must make the choice: self or Jesus (see John 6:66; Matthew 6:24). We all struggle with the flesh at times. Romans 7 was written to help us know we are not alone in that struggle. But when following self is a lifestyle, we have a false god (1 John 3:3–9), even if we verbally profess to love Jesus (see Matthew 15:8).

It is wise to check our hearts for this intruder so that we are not deceived (2 Corinthians 13:5). The god of self can slip in unnoticed and erect a competing throne that is so like the one where God belongs that we are unaware of the switch. Because this god of self can cloak itself in Christian-looking activities, it lives undetected in the hearts of many who profess to follow Christ. It is to such unsuspecting people that Jesus spoke these chilling words: “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’” (Matthew 7:21–23)

We can examine the thrones of our own hearts by considering some questions:

1. Do I love God’s Word and welcome His instruction? (Psalm 119:165)
2. When I read a convicting passage in Scripture, do I eagerly put it into practice or resist it? (James 1:22)
3. Who has the final authority over my life decisions? (Luke 6:46)
4. Which topic do I enjoy reading about more: being a better me or knowing God better?
5. Can I only “get into” worship if the music is my style and the band is top-notch?
6. What delights me most?
7. Are my closest friends those who love the Lord?
8. Do I consider “worship” as a weekly, hour-long service, or is it part of my daily life?
9. Does my Sunday-morning self change on Monday morning?
10. Do I make excuses for sin in my life rather than resisting sin and repenting of it?

The god of self does not need a physical temple or an altar. It is content to dwell in our hearts and get its own way. Paul described the cure for ridding ourselves of this imposter: “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me” (Galatians 2:20). Self will not cooperate with truth that requires its submission, so self must die (Romans 6:6–7). God will not share His throne, and we are fooling ourselves if we think He does not notice our service to the god of self. We may shun the external vices and never bend the knee to a graven image, but if Jesus is not Lord over every part of our lives, we are most likely worshipers of the god of self.

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

Landmines in the Path of the Believer: Avoiding the Hidden Dangers by Charles F. Stanley

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why is God described as God Most High?​

ANSWER

God Most High, or sometimes LORD Most High, are terms used throughout the Bible to describe the LORD, Creator of heaven and earth. Psalm 57:2 says, “I cry out to God Most High, to God who fulfills his purpose for me.” The Hebrew words most often translated “God Most High” are Elohim (or El) Elyown, which literally means “the most God” (Genesis 14:22; Psalm 78:35). In the title LORD Most High, the Hebrew words are Elohim Yahweh. We describe objects of exaltation as being “higher” than we are: higher in rank, in title, in beauty, in position, or in intelligence. Even authority is referred to in terms of height, from top-level management down to the common worker. Height conveys the idea of superiority in power, strength, and authority. So God Most High or LORD Most High means that there is no god, idol, or created being that should be worshiped or exalted above Yahweh, the LORD, because He is superior in every way.

Daniel 4:2 says, “It has seemed good to me to show the signs and wonders that the Most High God has done for me.” This time the term Most High God is translated from the Hebrew words Yahweh Illay, which mean “the highest LORD.” In other places, the Hebrew word al or el is used alone to mean “God Most High,” a meaning made clear in context. In New Testament Greek, the words Theou hypsistou (Luke 8:28; Hebrews 7:1) are translated “Most High God.” The clear implication in all the terms used to describe God is that He is the highest possible object of our worship. Man-made gods cannot compete with Him on any level and therefore should not be worshiped (Deuteronomy 27:13; Revelation 9:20).

When God first revealed the name by which He would be called, He told Moses that He was “I AM that I AM” (Exodus 3:14), from which we get the name Yahweh, sometimes translated “Jehovah.” God’s self-description means that the Lord is incomparable and self-sufficient. He simply IS. He is not similar to anything or anyone. In 1 Samuel 5:1–8, the Lord shows in an unmistakable manner that He is God Most High. After the Philistines had captured the Ark of the Lord, they set it beside their idol, Dagon, in his temple. The next day, Dagon had fallen over, in essence bowing before the Lord Most High. The Philistines set their idol back up, and, the next day, it had fallen again, this time breaking off its head and hands. The Lord Most High was proving to the world that no god can stand beside or above Him.

Amazingly, God Most High invites us to know Him. The first step to knowing God Most High is to recognize that He exists (Hebrews 11:6). The next step is to acknowledge His position in relation to everything else (Isaiah 46:9–11; Exodus 20:3). We cannot know Him while trying to place Him alongside other gods in our lives. And then we must choose to love and obey Him as Lord over our personal lives (Genesis 5:24; Isaiah 46:9; 2 Chronicles 14:2). We do this by recognizing Jesus Christ as God Most High who came in the flesh to take the punishment we deserve (John 14:6; 20:28; 2 Corinthians 5:21). Although Yahweh exists as God Most High whether we acknowledge Him or not, we can enjoy Him as God Most High in our own lives when we willingly seek Him (Jeremiah 29:13).

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

The Names of God by Ken Hemphill

Last edited:

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
If there is really a God, there wouldn't be this constant Israeli-Hamas Palestinian conflict already.

Each side claim their God is with them to get rid of the other, so which God is the correct one? LOL.

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
'God' never need man to protect itself. But rather it's humans, due to a need to control the population, resorted to creating such an imaginary entity with moral codes for political power and authority knowing mankind's weakness of seeking solace, meaning in life and self-consolation, not forgetting committing acts of terror.

But once the real 'God' (Anunnaki Aliens) from Sumerian Age returns, Hong Kans already all hell will break loose on earth. All mere mortal ranjiao religions will xia suay themselves with many religious zealots committing suicide once they found out the truth about their so-called 'God', LOL.

WHY ARE WE HERE? A Scary Truth Behind the Original Bible Story​

" In this Book, Paul documents the links within the Sumerian creation account: The word Annunaki, he explains, means “Those who came from the heavens to Earth,” a phrase that made clear their extraterrestrial origins.

Many of the world’s oldest mythologies claim that governance over human society began with dominance over human beings being established by superior beings or “gods.” And then the job of rulership gets handed over at a later stage to human governors or Kings.. The Bible originated from the ancient Sumerian text. Text found with the same story. Pre-dating the Biblical accounts by thousands of years. Documenting Ancient Aliens.

The Sumerian story begins with the rulers coming down from the heavens. And the glyph for these rulers is a symbol pointing to the sky! The Annunaki were from the heavens. They were sky people! - WHY ARE WE HERE? A Scary Truth Behind the Original Bible Story | Full Documentary"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anunnaki

The Anunnaki (Sumerian: , also transcribed as Anunaki, Annunaki, Anunna, Ananaki and other variations) are a group of deities of the ancient Sumerians, Akkadians, Assyrians and Babylonians.[1] In the earliest Sumerian writings about them, which come from the Post-Akkadian period, the Anunnaki are deities in the pantheon, descendants of An and Ki, the god of the heavens and the goddess of earth, and their primary function was to decree the fates of humanity.

Last edited:

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

Who is God?​

ANSWER

Who is God? What is God? How can we know God?

hqdefault.jpg

Who is God? - The Fact
The fact of God’s existence is so conspicuous, both through creation and through man’s conscience, that the Bible calls the atheist a “fool” (Psalm 14:1). Accordingly, the Bible never attempts to prove the existence of God; rather, it assumes His existence from the very beginning (Genesis 1:1). What the Bible does is reveal the nature, character, and work of God.

Who is God? - The Definition
Thinking correctly about God is of utmost importance because a false idea about God is idolatry. In Psalm 50:21, God reproves the wicked man with this accusation: “You thought I was altogether like you.” To start with, a good summary definition of God is “the Supreme Being; the Creator and Ruler of all that is; the Self-existent One who is perfect in power, goodness, and wisdom.”

Who is God? - His Nature
We know certain things to be true of God for one reason: in His mercy He has condescended to reveal some of His qualities to us. God is spirit, by nature intangible (John 4:24). God is One, but He exists as three Persons—God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit (Matthew 3:16-17). God is infinite (1 Timothy 1:17), incomparable (2 Samuel 7:22), and unchanging (Malachi 3:6). God exists everywhere (Psalm 139:7-12), knows everything (Psalm 147:5; Isaiah 40:28), and has all power and authority (Ephesians 1; Revelation 19:6).

Who is God? - His Character
Here are some of God’s characteristics as revealed in the Bible: God is just (Acts 17:31), loving (Ephesians 2:4-5), truthful (John 14:6), and holy (1 John 1:5). God shows compassion (2 Corinthians 1:3), mercy (Romans 9:15), and grace (Romans 5:17). God judges sin (Psalm 5:5) but also offers forgiveness (Psalm 130:4).

Who is God? - His Work
We cannot understand God apart from His works, because what God does flows from who He is. Here is an abbreviated list of God’s works, past, present, and future: God created the world (Genesis 1:1; Isaiah 42:5); He actively sustains the world (Colossians 1:17); He is executing His eternal plan (Ephesians 1:11) which involves the redemption of man from the curse of sin and death (Galatians 3:13-14); He draws people to Christ (John 6:44); He disciplines His children (Hebrews 12:6); and He will judge the world (Revelation 20:11-15).

Who is God? - A Relationship with Him
In the Person of the Son, God became incarnate (John 1:14). The Son of God became the Son of Man and is therefore the “bridge” between God and man (John 14:6; 1 Timothy 2:5). It is only through the Son that we can have forgiveness of sins (Ephesians 1:7), reconciliation with God (John 15:15; Romans 5:10), and eternal salvation (2 Timothy 2:10). In Jesus Christ “all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form” (Colossians 2:9). So, to really know who God is, all we have to do is look at Jesus.

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

Knowing God by J.I. Packer

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

Who is God, What is God, & How can we know God | GotQuestions.org​

Got Questions Ministries

Who is God, what is God, & how can we know God? When it comes answering the question, is God real or when offering a, God definition, the Bible must be our source. In this video, Pastor Nelson with Bible Munch, answers the questions, who is God, what is God, and how can we know God.

*** Curious about Bible Munch? Go check them out! / biblemunch