• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Indon FT: Stop complaining about Haze!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>
icon.aspx
Coffeeshop Chit Chat - Indon FT: Stop complaining about Haze!</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right>
icon.aspx
Subscribe </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR>
icon.aspx
</NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>2:38 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (1 of 4) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>17575.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>Indonesian: Haze is about survival
</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- headline one : end --></TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- show image if available --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I READ recently that the haze may return and could not help but feel embarrassed for my country, Indonesia. It is not the first time haze from uncontrolled burning of forest there has affected neighbouring countries.
I recall that when I was young and on a family trip around Sumatra, our car whizzed past a whole stretch of flame that engulfed the area. No one cared. I was deeply fazed.
I turned to my mother and asked: 'Mummy, can't you call the firefighters? Let them extinguish the fire.' My mother shrugged and said: 'They won't care. Everyone does it. That's how it works, that's how people make a living.'
Absurd as it may sound, it is true. There is nothing anyone can do to prevent it, even those whose hearts ache when they see the flame engulf the forest. People need the land to support their family, and they do not care about the side effects. They think only of how to survive until tomorrow.
Dessy Aswim (Miss)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
<TABLE id=msgUN border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>
icon.aspx
Coffeeshop Chit Chat - Indon FT: Stop complaining about Haze!</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right>
icon.aspx
Subscribe </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR>
icon.aspx
</NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>2:38 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (1 of 4) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>17575.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>Indonesian: Haze is about survival
</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- headline one : end --></TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- show image if available --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs --> People need the land to support their family, and they do not care about the side effects. They think only of how to survive until tomorrow.
Dessy Aswim (Miss)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

That is the most short sighted and dumbest statement I have heard. The world will be destroyed in no time and NO ONE can make a living, What a Bimbo.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Dessy

Slash & burn has been part of native agricultural practice in this and other regions since the dawn of history. Its a excellent way to rejuvenate the earth and to support the lives of people. However, it was done on small scale and not at the same time but during a clearing season.

The haze that people are concerned about are the large scale burning of land for the commercial planting of palm oil by public listed entities found in the stock exchanges of Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore. This practice first appeared in the 90s. I am sure you wour mum have told you that Indonesia were already for centuries by then. I am sure agriculture was part and parcel of the landscape then.

You might want to get in touch with one of Singapore's richest man, an ex-broker who now has substantial interest in the palm oil industry. He will help your mother and you understand that the world is indeed an interesting place and what you know is not actually right.

With the settlement of the Aceh separatist issue, hang on to your chair as more virgin forest come into play.

Some 40 years ago, these same plantation interest were part of British and Dutch companies and names such as Guthrie and Sime were quite well known. If they tried burning a forest, the green lobby within their citizenry would be at their doorsteps. Not any more. With the overnight raid of the London Stock Exchange by the Malaysian Govt and the capture of Guthrie, things have moved on.

Next time, you hear a bedtime story from your mum, do let us kno. We can throw light on the real stuff that has gone on.

By the way, I heard that Indonesia is facing a shortage of nuts and bolts and C4. Give us a call, plantations do use the next best thing - fertilisers. However, a laptop backpag won't do, we are talking about a car or a lorry here.