• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

If you think living expenses is expensive in Singapore try Sydney.

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you come to Sydney, certain suburbs is like in China, some like vietnam, some like Korea, some like middle east. If anything its hard to find a suburb where you have majority Aussies! I was half-expecting I'll be surrounded by white aussies when I move out west. Turns out there is like 3 ah nehs family across the street and like 3 chinese family on the same street as mine. Penrith might be the last white aussie suburb now.

and the shire tooo....lots of white aussies and Britss....

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro eatshitndie,

Sorry, I am not familiar with the US systems. I am only commenting about the "cheap" transport fare in Singapore. What I wanted to highlight is that it is not that cheap with that S$1.1 billion injected into those two companies. It is a issue of perception vs reality. :eek:

it's taxpayers' money and revenue from other tax collection and revenue making mechanisms, not totally self-funded in their own pnl domains. in relative terms, federal and state taxpayers are injecting usd4.7b into bart in the sf bay area. that's close to 5 times the amount taxpayer money is injected in 2 sg companies. usd4.7b is for 1 company. there are billions injected into caltrains, muni, valley transportation, ac transit, cc transit, and a bunch of other "redundant" public transport companies. why so many when ridership, except for bart, is pitifully low? answer is job security for layers and layers of administrators and public executives earning upwards of usd300k a year, plus the tens of thousands of transport, machine and electrical union workers who support them politically. same with cops, firemen, health officials and housing officials. and they all have pensions. it's one of the main reasons why california is broke.

larky28

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the US..there are many places without public transport and driving a car is much cheaper than taking bus and MRT in Spore. You are using the worst example (SF public transport) to defend sg system!!
this is where i have to cum in to defend the sg system. the money is collected from taxpayers just like many cuntries in the west do to help subsidize cost per rider-mile of public transport and fund transport infrastructure.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
As for papaya, yes, the paw paw are expensive in Australia. I always eat alot of papaya whenever I go back Singapore. :wink: :smile:

At the end of the day, one must figure out where the lobangs are. Otherwise they will pay through their nose and complain about things being expensive. What I want to emphasis is that they are not. As a retiree, I diligently go through those promotional brouchers to find bargains. :eek: :biggrin:

On a side note, for daily essentials, marketing and groceries, I find the US is still the best. More varieties and cheaper as well.

larky28

Alfrescian
Loyal
Having resided in the US for more than 10 years, I was surprised this time when I visited China and Malaysia last Dec, almost all essentials and groceries (especially meats) in both countries are even more expensive than the US.
On a side note, for daily essentials, marketing and groceries, I find the US is still the best. More varieties and cheaper as well.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the US..there are many places without public transport and driving a car is much cheaper than taking bus and MRT in Spore. You are using the worst example (SF public transport) to defend sg system!!

sf has about the same population, same geographic area and same density. not all sf residents drive or have automobiles. in fact, contrary to what you think, most residents in sf rely on public transport as parking is a nightmare and private parking at or near a residence can cost tens of thousands a year. daniele steele has 27 exclusive parking spaces spread all over the city. it's a perfect example for sg not to follow or go that direction. :p

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

be prepared to be "supersized" with gmo and growth hormones in the food and beverage chain. truly wholesome naturally grown organic food is 3 times the cost of regular supermarket food.

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oei when you coming to look at ropes crossing, the retirement village here has an open day. Got neil diamond concert also.

Yo Bro Ash,

Retirement village is a pretty cool idea. But I have a little problem. You see, my wife and kids refuse to leave the eastern suburb after they were all so comfortably settled in here. I wanted to try out something country. The retirement village suits me just fine. Except that I will be very lonely there. :o :(

Just a quick question, will there be pretty PRC mei mei to provide necessary services like massage and ear digging and what not? :biggrin: :biggrin:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is this enough?

http://www.blacktownbrothel.com.au/

Yo Bro Ash,

Retirement village is a pretty cool idea. But I have a little problem. You see, my wife and kids refuse to leave the eastern suburb after they were all so comfortably settled in here. I wanted to try out something country. The retirement village suits me just fine. Except that I will be very lonely there. :o :(

Just a quick question, will there be pretty PRC mei mei to provide necessary services like massage and ear digging and what not? :biggrin: :biggrin:

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Careful with chicken skin bro, too much cholesterol

That's why I've been buying skinless chicken drumsticks for soups! Wife loves it as less oily..

Should see my 2 and 1/2 yr old son today.. He polished off a Maryland plus a drumstick plus a chicken breast (All with skin taken off of course).. Sure is a chicken lover like me :biggrin:

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Thank you Bro valiant20,

Yes, Aldi prices are generally cheaper than Coles or Woolies. :wink:

When Aldi product is on promotion, then it will be really cheap. :smile:

Whole chicken - A$3.49 per kg :eek: :smile:
http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/product_range/2744_25036.htm
http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/product_range/realreductions.htm

Yeah Love Aldi, hate forgetting to bring my "Green Bags" out with me whenever I head over to Aldi.. Loving their tissues at the moment ($1 per box of pretty good quality)
:biggrin:

Mate of mine says the fresh produce (meat) is dodgy, due to the amount of water being soaked in them? I'm not sure of that as I've never tried their meats as yet.

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Still stuck in sinkie land. Melbourne is a beautiful and peaceful city. Have you ever taken that big boat(forgot the name) to Tasmania?

Spirit of Tasmania. Yes I did the trip back in 2007(?) I think. Then silly Flight Centre made a mess of our itinerary resulting in us driving 6 hours overnight to rush for our Cadbury Choc Factory Tour.

Probably the most dangerous driving I've ever done so far! Animals running on your Left Right Front Back! You don't want to run over them so you have to be 10 times as alert!!

Enforcer

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Spirit of Tasmania. Yes I did the trip back in 2007(?) I think. Then silly Flight Centre made a mess of our itinerary resulting in us driving 6 hours overnight to rush for our Cadbury Choc Factory Tour.

Probably the most dangerous driving I've ever done so far! Animals running on your Left Right Front Back! You don't want to run over them so you have to be 10 times as alert!!

Glad to see that you're enjoying your life there. Take care and Happy Lunar New Year brother :smile:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
living expenses in SG is quite low if not owning car. Because SG car is the most expensive in the world.