• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

If Grandma can survive on $1 per day, why MIWs need millions?

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Doesn't make sense leh..

As times are getting from bad to worse, look at the latest 154th spin that you can survive for $1 a day, how the poor are very happy with their poverty and do not want any welfare. To add to the spin, they show a picture of this poor elderly lady smiling away. Why don't the PAP MPs or Ministers try living on $1 a day for a week and tell us how joyful and easy it is?

http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20081030-97288.html

20081030.181320_$1aday.jpg

She lives on $1 a day

A dollar a day, that is how 83 year-old Wen Liu Fang has survived for the past ten years or more.

She told Lianhe Wanbao that she came to Singapore from China 61 years ago, and worked as an amah (domestic helper) for 30 years. Amahs or majie then had to take a vow of celibacy, and she has remained single till now. About 10 years ago, she had to retire from her job as a cleaner due to arthritis.

With no family in Singapore, Wen Liu Fang and her friends rented a one-room apartment in Chinatown and they do their own household chores including the laundry, sweeping the floor to cooking and boiling water.

She has to wash her clothes by hand as they have no washing machine.

On weekdays, breakfast, lunch and dinner are at the Kreta Ayer Seniors Activity Centre located at Banda Street, Chinatown where they provide seniors in the area with three meals for $1 a day. During weekends, she does her own cooking.

"When I cook, I will usually have simple fare like fish cakes, vegetables and potatoes." She told Wanbao in Cantonese.

She seldom eats out, "A cup of coffee at a coffee shop costs 80 cents - I can make eight cups of coffee at home for that amount!"

She does not want welfare

While some may feel sympathy for her, Mdm Wen has a cheerful and resilient attitude to life, and maintains that she does not want to rely on others.

With her savings that she accumulated through years of hard work, she pays her monthly rent ($26), public utility bills (about $30 a month) and medical costs.

Even though she qualifies for social welfare, Mdm Wen insists on living on her own savings. She says she will ask for help only when she does not have enough for food and shelter.

"One dollar a day is enough." she says "I can survive as long as I am fed and clothed."

Making do creatively

When reporters visited her flat, they saw that her bed frame had no mattress - the bed planks were covered with a thin cotton cloth; while her "pillow" was a thick Chinese almanac wrapped in a towel.

She cheerfully said that she had back pains, and it was more comfortable to sleep on the hard planks than on a soft mattress. As for the pillow, the towel was easier to wash than a pillow and pillow case.

She also props up her bed with wooden blocks so that she can store her belongings under the bed in lieu of a proper cabinet.

Wanbao reporters wondered whether her "innovations" were bourne out of necessity.

She walks to see her doctor

To save on transport expenses, Mdm Wen walks to Singapore General Hospital whenever she has a doctor's appointment. At her age, and with her arthritis, the going can be slow, but she insists that even taking the bus is a luxury.

"When I get tired I will stop and rest. Taking the bus there and back costs at least a dollar, I will try to save whenever I can."

She cannot remember the last time she takes a taxi.

"I have taken a taxi before, but fares kept increasing, so I stopped. I can't remember how long ago that was."

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Doesn't make sense leh..

As times are getting from bad to worse, look at the latest 154th spin that you can survive for $1 a day, how the poor are very happy with their poverty and do not want any welfare. To add to the spin, they show a picture of this poor elderly lady smiling away. Why don't the PAP MPs or Ministers try living on $1 a day for a week and tell us how joyful and easy it is?

very good idea! the ministars should really try it, living everyday on a dollar. did the reporter try living on a dollar a day? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

mscitw

Alfrescian
Loyal
Minions and lackeys are gleefully counting gold bars at night while their maids prepare shark fin and abalone for the next day meals!

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
See how happy face the photograph is taken.
Subtle message: Be Contented.

And once you read the story...u feel fortunate...and suddenly..a glow on ur face. You feel happier...out of nowhere, ur troubles seems gone.

I just like how media share the story at this point of time.
Makes life so simple and happy.

:o :biggrin: :o

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

There is nothing wrong with the media trying to cheer people up during times of hardship.

I commend SPH for showing such care and concern for those who may feel down and out as a result of the recent economic turmoil.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is nothing wrong with the media trying to cheer people up during times of hardship.

I commend SPH for showing such care and concern for those who may feel down and out as a result of the recent economic turmoil.

Tell that to a teenage boy or girl in Singapore or Austrailia, both developed countries, and they'll become depressed rather than cheered up. With all the education, all the hopes and bright future that the gahment promises, all the hardwork that their parents put in, I don't think Sg citizens want to end up like the elderly women - poor but happy (?). She must be Mother Teresa!

In every society, there are the rich and the poor. It's for the rich to help the poor; it's also true that a rich government like PAP gahment must also help the citizens who are affected by economic hardship. :(

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
it's also true that a rich government like PAP gahment must also help the citizens who are affected by economic hardship. :(

That's exactly what the PAP govt is doing. They have asked SPH to publish a series of articles that illustrate that one does not need to be rich in order to be happy.

In one fell swoop, all those people who are earning at least a dollar a day have been cheered up no end. They now realise that it doesn't take much to be happy in that wonderful country. :biggrin:

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP government is very paternalistic. Let's see how the gahment will help the people in time of need. I hope this time they don't use salary or dwelling as the yardsticks - afterall almost all Sporeans are affected.

Last edited:

Powerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's exactly what the PAP govt is doing. They have asked SPH to publish a series of articles that illustrate that one does not need to rich in order to be happy.

In one fell swoop, all those people who are earning at least a dollar a day have been cheered up no end. They now realise that it doesn't take much to be happy in that wonderful country. :biggrin:

All right then. Going by your logic, why the hell then do the MIWs need millions of $$$$ in salaries???? And is the the Golden Age that the old fart Lee Kwan Yew has promised?:rolleyes:

sir cum-a-lot

Alfrescian
Loyal
See how happy face the photograph is taken.
Subtle message: Be Contented.

And once you read the story...u feel fortunate...and suddenly..a glow on ur face. You feel happier...out of nowhere, ur troubles seems gone.

Mate, I think the journalist probably told the old lady a sick joke about the gov, causing her to laugh, in order to get a candid smiling shot.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
All right then. Going by your logic, why the hell then do the MIWs need millions of $$$$ in salaries???? And is the the Golden Age that the old fart Lee Kwan Yew has promised?:rolleyes:

The money they earn does not make them happy. They need to money to purchase sanctuary abroad. They'll need a quick ticket and a foothold in some safe haven when the shit hits the fan. All dictators make such plans. The Pappies are no different.